Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Mero

Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?

Post by Mero »

Hellfire MD on my MegaDrive Mini II. I'm not very good but I just hit stage 5 for the first time. Hopefully I can inch my way further.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

The last six months or so were real easy, if it wasn't on the Astro City Mini II, I wasn't playing it. That thing turned out to be the gaming bargain of the century...

Anyway, I finally moved on a bit in '23

NeverAwake
Yeah, because the world needs another twin-stick...
Maybe it does. Firstly, I absolutely cannot believe this didn't launch on the Switch. It is such a Switch game (although, I guess it could be a Steam Deck game too). Twin-stick and trigger control, 2-3 minute long levels, large, bold graphics that can be easily seen on a small screen. If you're deciding between Switch and PS, Switch is definitely the way to go if you play undocked at all

Secondly, it's a lot of fun. Strangoid level design based upon general fears of young girls (although--like Poison Control--I wish those designs made their way to more of the enemies, instead of most of the popcorns being generic ghoulies) that shift between vertical and horizontal. Different weapon upgrades to screw around with. Constant stream of new obstacles and enemies to negotiate. And "Goddamnit! Alright, one more try..." gameplay. It feels like a new-school Forgotten World sequel (without co-op), which--at least to moi--is a real good thing.

It ain't perfect, however. It includes a 'dash' mechanic, that's more annoying than fun and helpful. First, the length on the dash is oddly short, making it difficult to gauge if you'll actually make it through something and where you'll end up. Second, you're unable to dash through everything, but the only way to tell is by trying and failing. Having some sort of visual cue (you can't dash through blue objects, or whatever) would be far less irritating. Thankfully, the dash is mostly presented as an option rather than the only means of negotiation. Meaning you can just ignore it for the most part (although, there are parts where it's needed).

The other nit I would pick, is the way the shop/upgrade section is handled. You're pretty much able to afford anything once it appears in the shop. So you're basically just waiting for stuff to appear. It would be much more enjoyable if stuff was in the shop, but priced above your means. Therefore, it would be a matter of "Gee, that looks really handy" then working toward purchasing it, which is far more pro-active than just waiting around for an item to magically appear.

The Bug Butcher
Was (and maybe still is) $2.11 in the eShop including tax. Again. seems almost custom made for the Switch (although some enemies break down to really tiny parts). And while it's Super Pang (Buster Bros) with updated graphics, it's not like the devs are hiding that fact, and it doesn't make it any less fun. Basically, it's 'Nutz: The Game'. Do you have the nutz to thread the needle, and try to slip under that baddie to blast him? If you do, and time it correctly, you do well. If you don't, and you don't, you don't. These 'risk vs reward' nerves tests are always enjoyable and TBB is no exception. Not to mention, a 20-minutes session certainly upped my Galaxian game. If there's one nit I'd really like to pick, it's that I'd reduce the number of 'shields' you're provided with. Thus making the whole 'risk vs reward' thing feel much riskier. But other than that, it's a whole lot of fun, and WELL worth $2.11
Steven

Post by Steven »

Oh yeah, it's this thread. I was just here a few posts ago, but I have since found something very interesting to play: Same! Same! Same! Taito Hey Custom, which is actually pretty cool, if maybe slightly too easy. It seems to have failed its location test, but I really like it.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

I'd wanted to take a shot at 1cc-ing Darius Twin, but the cart is just being too unreliable so I bounced back to Soukyuuguurentai on Saturn.

This game is one of my all-time favourites in the genre, and I've come back around to it many times. I'm finally at the point where I'm good enough to hold my own on difficulty level 5 (arcade), though the 1cc is still off in the distance. That 3rd stage boss is just a brick wall, I can beat him but not without sucking down a few deaths. That's one of those fights that's cool and intense because of how little vertical space you have to react to its many evil patterns, but at the same time I wish it made better use of horizontal space.

Stage 4 is not so bad, you just need to hang in there with the fight against giant Launch Octopus. Stage 5 seems crazy hard, but as long as your pattern reads are on point it's really just that rush of majors before the boss that's trouble. Both forms of the actual boss are very manageable. Stage 6...nope.

I probably say this every time I play it, but So-Q is a game I really think needs an arranged re-release. It's so close to being an S-tier game but the scoring, rank and some of the design decisions around the vertizontal aspect ratio are just a couple of tweaks away from true greatness. Nonethless, it's one of the most visceral shooters on the system and still feels awesome to pick up and play. Dodponpachi (another top ranked title) actually feels a little lightweight next to it.
Mero wrote:Hellfire MD on my MegaDrive Mini II. I'm not very good but I just hit stage 5 for the first time. Hopefully I can inch my way further.
Don't feel bad. That port has a reputation of being really tough, I think having to fight through it uphill is par for the course.
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

R-Type Leo (J). currently making it to stage 5 and getting owned in short order. but im getting pretty consistent at the first four stages at least
Sengoku Strider

This thread might need its name changed to "What game are you getting owned on stage 5 in RIGHT NOW?"
Aceskies

Post by Aceskies »

I played again Pocky and Rocky reshrined today, first time since release when I credit fed the game. This time is feeling much better for some reason. I made it to stage 5 on 1 credit which is not too bad for me, but definitely I want to keep playing. Oddly enough I unlocked "super easy mode" now!?
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Unless it was an update, I think you unlock easy mode in Pocky and Rocky ReShrined after X hours of play.

Once you know where all the hidden lives are, and know how to manipulate the roulette to give you what you want every time (check Sumez's thread in the Strategy section!), the game is much breezier.
BEAMLORD

Post by BEAMLORD »

First time around the block with Ketsui, after getting the Shottriggers port at Christmas. Been waiting to play this for a long time. Haven't checked out Deathtiny mode yet, want to take a good stab at Arcade first and ideally get a 1-loop clear. Furthest I can get so far is around stage 4 midboss.

Re: R-Type Leo - I really hope Hamster get around to that this year, it's my favourite R-Type.
Steven

Post by Steven »

That's an interesting coincidence; I just got PS4 Ketsui in the mail this morning (and PS4 ESP Ra.De. and also Switch ESP Ra.De., so now the only M2 ShotTriggers release that I don't have is Switch Aleste). I played it for like 3~4 minutes before work and it's... a CAVE game, I guess. The lock on thingy is pretty great, though.
BEAMLORD

Post by BEAMLORD »

The lock-on is nice, yeah. Get to deal consistent damage from anywhere on the screen whilst maintaining evasion. I like that scoring is simple too, enough to nab the extends without too much stress. I'm not a fan of chaining, although I enjoy the Dondonpachi's, and not a fan of Cave's more elaborate systems like in Espgaluda 2 or Akai Katana. Espgaluda 2 especially, I just couldn't click with that game at all. Its about the only Cave game I've played that I don't like.
Nahar

Post by Nahar »

Sengoku Strider wrote:This thread might need its name changed to "What game are you getting owned on stage 5 in RIGHT NOW?"
Correct! I'm STILL getting smashed on ZeroRanger's last boss.
Sengoku Strider

BEAMLORD wrote:First time around the block with Ketsui, after getting the Shottriggers port at Christmas. Been waiting to play this for a long time. Haven't checked out Deathtiny mode yet, want to take a good stab at Arcade first and ideally get a 1-loop clear. Furthest I can get so far is around stage 4 midboss.
I'd recommend going the other way around, unless you're a true purist. Deathtiny was more of a middling difficulty, not as tough as arcade. I 1cced it a year or so back, but I haven't conquered arcade yet.
BEAMLORD

Post by BEAMLORD »

Thanks Sengoku, I'll consider it. I do like to check out the OG shit first on most things, but that Deathtiny 1CC might come calling sooner or later :mrgreen:
Aceskies

Post by Aceskies »

I purchased Cosmo Dreamer today. Played the story mode and arcade mode on casual to get the 1cc. I had an absolute blast with it. A pretty game, simple but really charming. Also its kinda forgiving hitbox wise. I would like to get all in-game achievements, but I guess the hardest mode is too much for me.
EmperorIng wrote:Unless it was an update, I think you unlock easy mode in Pocky and Rocky ReShrined after X hours of play.

Once you know where all the hidden lives are, and know how to manipulate the roulette to give you what you want every time (check Sumez's thread in the Strategy section!), the game is much breezier.
Super useful stuff. Thanks!
Dazzymank

Post by Dazzymank »

Raiden IV remix ps5
Drainus switch
Nahar

Post by Nahar »

Nahar wrote:
Sengoku Strider wrote:This thread might need its name changed to "What game are you getting owned on stage 5 in RIGHT NOW?"
Correct! I'm STILL getting smashed on ZeroRanger's last boss.
Guess who did it!

I'm now playing Gradius arcade version.
Leeram

Post by Leeram »

Currently trying to beat Mushihimesama but getting owned by level 4!
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Pre-ordered Akka Arrh (figured I was going to get it anyway, may as well up the pre-order metric, whatever that's worth), and it inspired me to bust Polybius back out (which is fucking incredible btw. If the shooter poll ever gets fired back up, I have a new entry. May not be the first tube shooter. but very well may be the ultimate tube shooter.) Anyway, my nephew and his idiot buddy stopped by to puff weed away from the watchful eye of my sister.

Idiot Buddy: "Man, whoever made this shit does some serious drugz"
Me: "He says he's never done drugs"
Idiot Buddy: "Do you believe him?"
Me: "Why would he lie?"
Idiot Buddy: "All I'm saying is this shit makes me feel like I'm on drugs"
Me: "You are on drugs"
BIL

Post by BIL »

Reminds me of the Monty Python guys visiting the US with lone American member Terry Gilliam, early in their fame, and most of the fans they met assuming they were blasted out of their minds 24/7; to their dismay, all of them being square dudes who couldn't find drugs if they wanted to. :lol: Can't beat genuine eccentricity.
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

Leeram wrote:Currently trying to beat Mushihimesama but getting owned by level 4!
What mode and difficulty you playing? Just cleared Novice Maniac which is perfect for me. Love the bullet patterns.

Just bought Einhander from a convention and loving it. I actually had it when it came out, but it didn't click with me then, so I returned it.
Also played some Souky on Saturn before work today. Another amazing 32-bit shooter.
Steven

Post by Steven »

I've gone back to Kyuukyoku Tiger (again). Can get to stage 8 or 9 now after almost 3 months without even playing the game, and I could probably get the clear in about a week if I practice a lot, but I'm not going to rush it. My practice style is the old-fashioned and highly inefficient "disable the continue DIP switch, put in a coin, and see how far I can get" instead of save states and training modes that I should be using, but I like doing it this way instead for some reason.

All I really have to do is make it to stage 10 with the spread shot and I'm pretty much guaranteed to get it. I probably could have made it a few hours ago if I hadn't fucked up at the stage 8 boss with full power. I tried to pointblank insta-kill the first boss tank on that stage with the 30Hz, but then I realized that I forgot if you can do that safely, so I backed out without fully committing to it and ate a shot and then had to recover into that boss and then stage 9.

Unfortunately recovering into stage 9 is really fucking miserable. The combination of heli zako + mid-size boats at the beginning will annihilate you if you get there with the level 0 red shot, but I know that it's entirely possible because the game is designed that way and I just haven't figured it out yet. I'm so close to getting the clear...!
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

Steven wrote:I've gone back to Kyuukyoku Tiger (again). Can get to stage 8 or 9 now after almost 3 months without even playing the game, and I could probably get the clear in about a week if I practice a lot, but I'm not going to rush it. My practice style is the old-fashioned and highly inefficient "disable the continue DIP switch, put in a coin, and see how far I can get" instead of save states and training modes that I should be using, but I like doing it this way instead for some reason.

All I really have to do is make it to stage 10 with the spread shot and I'm pretty much guaranteed to get it. I probably could have made it a few hours ago if I hadn't fucked up at the stage 8 boss with full power. I tried to pointblank insta-kill the first boss tank on that stage with the 30Hz, but then I realized that I forgot if you can do that safely, so I backed out without fully committing to it and ate a shot and then had to recover into that boss and then stage 9.

Unfortunately recovering into stage 9 is really fucking miserable. The combination of heli zako + mid-size boats at the beginning will annihilate you if you get there with the level 0 red shot, but I know that it's entirely possible because the game is designed that way and I just haven't figured it out yet. I'm so close to getting the clear...!

Yea, I'm the same way sometimes. I play my ass off and barely get to stage 4 in a game. Then don't play for weeks or months and come back and getting past stage 4 or whatever and maybe a couple levels past that.
Creamy Goodness

Post by Creamy Goodness »

Going big for my 20th 1cc with Esprade. Man this game is mean. The smaller bullets makes dodging much more difficult for me. The smaller bullets and more haphazard patterns makes the game almost feel like a Psikyo game to me. But I'm going to hunker down and clear this one. But I do have one question, is there a difference in strength between Yusuke's rapid and focus shots. Visually they seem almost exactly the same and it doesn't really feel like one does more damage over the other.
davyK

Post by davyK »

Mushi v1.5 Original. This should be an easy clear for after arcade original because of the bullet volumes producing slowdown. In fact, it could even be a no miss clear for me. But I keep messing up . :)
Nahar

Post by Nahar »

Funnily enough, I started playing Mushihimesama after getting my Gradius 1CC. I'm exploring the game right now, I guess I'll go first for the Original Normal 1CC.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

A k k a
A r r h
L y f e
BIL

Post by BIL »

Enjoying a little late-80s army vert tour, following a re-acquaintance with the ever-reliable excellence of Kyuukyoku Tiger and its dread kin Same3.

Task Force Harrier (AC/NMK/1989) Eminently likeable slow-burning vert. The air missions start off a bit tepid, but they soon pep up, and the ground sequences are gleefully destructive throughout, a kind of Xevious gone Kyuukyoku. Quite easy by NMK standards, a comfy 1ALL and an only moderately more taxing 2ALL compared to the usual battle standards like KT and Raiden. MAME's emulation is currently broken, giving you a lightning-fast ship; it's meant to scale up with processor load.

Flak Attack (AC/Konami/1987) Exactly the major label obscurity I love seeing given quality home release, from the masters at Gotch via ACA. Seems it's obscure for good reason, sadly. The speedy ship, tight collision, and razor-sharp handling are immediately likeable; unfortunately, the bullet visibility is parodically bad throughout. I'm used to otherwise quality STGs running afoul of this for a stage or so, EG Raiden and Trigon. Here's it's virtually the inverse, with only a few spots in the initial five stages where you're not seeing yellow bullets over golden sand.

Also sports what must be the most asininely jack-in-the-box memoriser hazard of the entre genre. See the lower-right? Just go there, while living in constant fear of the next instance. :lol: I think you're meant to infer, from that powerup-triggered first instance, where the safespots are, but yeah... dumb. I'm very, very tolerant of damage cases, and here, the core is solid, despite the appallingly amateur-hour scuffs. And as with even the most busted Konami arcade releases of the time (cf Akumajou Dracula), the OST is bloodeningly banging work.

Not recommendable, overall; play A-JAX instead, which has all of the late 80s Konami charm - tough, jingoistic, responsive - at a tiny fraction of the annoyance.

Fighting Hawk (AC/Taito/1988) or ~Magical Vacation Hishouzame~ If you dig that game's meticulous sniper batteries and ruggedly tank-cratering aesthetic, you may well find this a pleasant diversion. Milder than Toaplan's landmark, but never displeasingly so, with sharp handling, a ripping main shot, and brisk pacing. Bomb is really cool, a homing missile barrage perfect for nailing backstabbers and flankers; you can tell the level designers expect you to use it, with generous stock and an accompanying fullscreen bullet-cancelling flash encouraging aggressive breakouts.

BGM is a bit twee, but nothing fatal. On the right side of the line opposite mediocre truckers like Ghost Pilots; epigone as opposed to also-ran. Also earns points with me for its locked horizontal pan; lately I've strongly preferred that. Even some otherwise brilliant games like Trigon and Gunnail run into issues with their panning, to say nothing of the outright pratfalls suffered by Ikari III aka Guevara.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

The best dodges I've ever done in any STG.
https://imgur.com/a/jX4i5KD
Sengoku Strider

XoPachi wrote:The best dodges I've ever done in any STG.
https://imgur.com/a/jX4i5KD
Nicely done, that's the best feeling.

Ketsui might have the most perfect feeling controls I've ever tried in a vert shooter. I know a lot of the smooth feel comes down to how they implemented the animation, but I remember even when I first encountered the arcade machine, after 5 seconds it was like "Oh. This one I like." Playing Deathtiny I came away with a similar feeling as you did, that I was pulling off moves I was never capable of before.

I was so proud of myself that I, too, even GIFed some of my replay and sent it to people:
Spoiler
At the time I couldn't read bullet trajectories from that far away yet, and I was just white-knuckling it on a PS4 dpad. I couldn't believe I was able to even see half those bullets, let alone dodge them in real time.

And that concludes my essay on why shmups are awesome, the genre of champions.
Creamy Goodness wrote:Going big for my 20th 1cc with Esprade.
Image x 20