Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Restart_Point

Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?

Post by Restart_Point »

In The Hunt (PS1 and Saturn versions but prefer Saturn)

Super Star Soldier (PC Engine) Have not completed it yet, the final stage is maddeningly hard.

Non-shmup - Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi on Mega Drive, i've been playing this since 1990 and love it as much as ever. Totally underrated and my level fave Shinobi game with the original arcade 'Shinobi'. Still trying to complete it it on hardest difficulty with NON-SHURIKEN.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

This is more of a confession than anything else, but I bought Contra Rogue Corps for $4 on Switch and ended up putting over 30 hours into it over the past week and a half. It is unquestionably kusoge material, but more in the guilty pleasure sort of way. You can see glimmers of a great game somewhere in there, and I really think it could have been with some tweaks to the structure and controls, a slightly bigger budget, and a lower MSRP.

If you are the kind of masochistic person who enjoys exploring promising train wrecks it might be worth it when it goes on sale again.
<STG.1cc> 死ぬがよい <ACT.1cc>
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

This Natsuki Chronicles game is [charges power]
PISSIN ME OFF!

:c
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

Just recently got 2 games from the family for father's day. Wanted these forever. Soukyugurentai on Saturn and R-Type Delta. Havent played much Delta yet, but been putting some time into Souky. I've played quite a few Saturn Shooters and this is up there so far.
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

Played a bunch of Batrider random team credits with the slowdown removed. This game is a fantastic counter to "balanced around slowdown" by simply not being balanced at all. Had one run where I got Jack (Start), Jyuji and Maria, died twice early, 1-lifed nearly the whole game with Maria while being terrified of suiciding because it'd mean I'd have to play as the other jokers, then managed to die to the final enemy before Discharge and promptly game overed to the boss. :lol: Grubby phase 3, Deviate & Blunt with no slowdown are all really cool, and I actually find stage 7 easier when the game's not juddering fucking constantly.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Played some Giga Wing, Mars Matrix, and Raiden Fighters Jet today.

In GW, over the past few days, I decided that I really just need to work on stage 4 and 5 a bit, and I think I did manage to get some improvement out of it.

Nothing new in Mars Matrix. Just trying to drill my routes so that I can get back to not being incredibly inconsistent. Not sure if I ever will be though. It's pretty wild to me that I ever was.

Was working on micli in Simulation Level 15 mostly in RFJ. Additionally, I want to gripe a bit about how bad the bullet and enemy visibility is in L30. WTF, Seibu? I can't see shit! :x It's to the point where I'm strongly considering doing the intentional suicide in L15 to get L20 instead. Neither 20 not 40 is nearly as bad. Didn't seem like the Real Battle Phases where that bad either. Also, it would seem as if I can't connect to the leaderboards anymore, which is annoying (though, to be fair, there's almost nobody playing arcade Difficulty right now, and they wipe like weekly). Oddly this doesn't seem to affect NiGHTS into Dreams on XBLA, so I'm not sure what's up. I would try Guwange, but it's unlikely that I'll be able to beat my current score. I should probably test a few more games, though.
YouTube | Restart Syndrome | 1cclist | Go Play Mars Matrix
Solunas wrote:How to Takumi your scoring system
1) Create Scoring System
2) Make it a multiplier for your actual score
chempop

Post by chempop »

Got to the 1-5 Boss of Progear a couple times today. The first half of stage 5 is still a trainwreck but after the midboss it's not so bad.
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

Get into Dreamcast shmups lately... so.. Under Defeat.

I remember when I first played this eons ago and I was surprised of how much fun it was and how it felt so... simple in gameplay, in a genre that was getting more and more complex scoring systems and out of this world bullet patterns. But back then I had played just a few credits of it.

Playing it now more properly, still the same feeling. Awesome game.
Alpolio

Post by Alpolio »

Aqua Kitty UDX on my Switch. I just bought it last month. I used to steer clear of cute-em-ups, but I needed a Defender fix, so here I am. 8)
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

chempop wrote:Got to the 1-5 Boss of Progear a couple times today. The first half of stage 5 is still a trainwreck but after the midboss it's not so bad.
The opening section of Stage 5 is legitimately brutal, it's harder than the majority of the stage I think.

I tried getting back into Leiria Stargazer. Normal mode feels pretty well perfectly balanced, but the constant revenge bullets of Hard is rather soul crushing. I'm digging the wide shot if only to quickly accel and clear them out. I've cleared Hard before using the Extra shot type (the one that's got a wildly overpowered accel mode lock on shot) but never with one of the "normal" shot types.
DEL

Post by DEL »

Currently playing:
Still addicted to Dariusburst EX+.
Have started to play R-Type Final 2, but putting it on the back burner until I've troubled the Japanese players on EX+ a bit more :wink: .
sunnshine

Post by sunnshine »

Shatterhand wrote:Get into Dreamcast shmups lately... so.. Under Defeat.

I remember when I first played this eons ago and I was surprised of how much fun it was and how it felt so... simple in gameplay, in a genre that was getting more and more complex scoring systems and out of this world bullet patterns. But back then I had played just a few credits of it.

Playing it now more properly, still the same feeling. Awesome game.
Under Defeat's one of my favourite games ever, never mind shoot 'em ups.

I got Crimzon Clover World Ignition at the weekend and blimey it's hard. Fun, but hard. It's a different sort of hard to SDOJ where that game is just kind of a mean sort of hard for the sake of being hard and not much fun to play as a result, Crimzon Clover is fairer about its hardness and the amount of shit going on makes it even more fun.

I've also (just!) discovered Gradius V today...
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Giga Wing. I felt like I had made some progress over the past week or two, but I didn't get around to playing it for like 2 days, and now it feels like I've basically lost all of that :lol: Hopefully It won't take quite that long to get it back.
1) Create Scoring System
null1024

Post by null1024 »

G-Darius [PS1]. Really probably should play the PS2 release because the game spends 90% of its time in some degree of slow motion, but my PS2 isn't hooked up. :lol:
god, I still love this game so much
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Ikaruga (Switch version)
Remembered that I had downloaded this months ago and then hadn't touched it. Now I'm back into the grind redeveloping all my prior muscle-memory.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Got bored of waiting for the release over here and imported Raiden IV Mikado. Played a few credits last night. Saw halfway through the third stage after those few, which means I'm better at this than the original :D
Like what I've seen so far, feels more Raiden than RV anyway. Not a fan of the full-screen, zoomed-out, malarkey there.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

Another survival credit, another MARVEROUS! ending.

I really should be grinding out that Feveron PB instead of this clowning. Posting that so I actually do it.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Thanks to the practice option in R-Type Dimensions EX, I decided to get a 30+ year old bugbear off my back and go for the R-Type 1CC.
Levels 1-5 have always been 1 credit, but 6 is pure memo and I got bunt out playing five levels I know back to back just to attempt it. Took me maybe 45 minutes to figure out and execute a path. Great.

Level 7 - WTF? This is utter, utter chaos, I don't even know where to start? :D YouTube here I come!

Final level is a joke, but I'm not sure if the port is borked? Final boss I just sat in the middle of the screen and did nothing, the front-most of the grey ball things looked as though it should be hitting me just on the nose, but no death. Seemed a bit odd.

So yeah, just the 7th level to work out.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

It sounds like you found the safe spot - Bydo itself won't do anything but send out those spinning blade-like things that move in set patterns. If you're on the left edge of the screen and a pixel or so above the centre, they won't hit you (or at least the first couple won't). You need to have fired your Force past the boss' barrier before getting into this position in order to kill it in good time, though.

(Push against the left edge to move your Bits forward and protect yourself from the alien babies, too. If all else fails, copy my extremely if-I-can-do-it-anyone-can video from about 16:40. The stage 7 routing in this vid is also easy.)
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Just finished manually ripping the game OST from the sound test for Leiria -Stargazer-. Great game, great OST:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/k3onudy8ejxm ... xSFOa?dl=0

And the OST for SideLine (the stage music is actually on the CD, but the rest of the stuff like boss themes are not): https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7momm68zta0m ... BkE_a?dl=0
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

Marc wrote:Picked up Crimson Clover World EXplosion. Holy shitballs this game is hard. Hard, and quite often an absolute visual overload.

Yes it's tough , but very fulfilling. A suggestion is, go for the clear on easy, then do a normal. That's the way I did it. Now I'm going for that 1cc on normal.
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

Marc wrote:Thanks to the practice option in R-Type Dimensions EX, I decided to get a 30+ year old bugbear off my back and go for the R-Type 1CC.
Levels 1-5 have always been 1 credit, but 6 is pure memo and I got bunt out playing five levels I know back to back just to attempt it. Took me maybe 45 minutes to figure out and execute a path. Great.

Level 7 - WTF? This is utter, utter chaos, I don't even know where to start? :D YouTube here I come!

Final level is a joke, but I'm not sure if the port is borked? Final boss I just sat in the middle of the screen and did nothing, the front-most of the grey ball things looked as though it should be hitting me just on the nose, but no death. Seemed a bit odd.

So yeah, just the 7th level to work out.

That is the thing I HATED about playing R-Type on my Ps1. I didn't enjoy having to keep grinding all the levels to get to the later ones. I too, I think could no miss till level 6 or 7 I think. Plus, being a 80s quarter muncher, every time you die, you lose everything. Almost impossible to recover. Don't like the older R-Types for that reason. Much rather play Delta, Final, Final 2.
MOSQUITO FIGHTER

Post by MOSQUITO FIGHTER »

Going back and checking out all the Toaplan shooters. Spent most of my time on Outzone.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Finally digging into Ray Force a bit for Calice Cup (have been meaning to do this for a while). I went from liking it to not liking it, and now I'm back to liking it again, :lol:. It's definitely a game that has an interesting weapon system that is tied to scoring, which is something that I can get behind.

Was playing Space Bomber earlier, and that game is pretty sweet. It's interesting that it eschews the normal Psikyo thing of having a significant chunk of points be based around not missing or bombing. You get mega points for grabbing and yeeting the enemies at as many enemies as possible. It's pretty fun. Also great cut-scenes.
1) Create Scoring System
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

I used to be the biggest Destiny 2 addict. It completely took over my life & became a serious problem to the point where I had to give my PS4 to a friend for 6 mos. just to get it out of the house & go cold turkey. Haven't really played it since. I saw it mentioned somewhere online, & started getting the twinge to go back & see how everything had changed since then.

I already had 60 some-odd gigs of the game on my hard drive, and it still took fully 4 hours to download & install the updates. I was really shocked. The game felt not bad, but kinda flat. The pacing seemed slow. I did go at it for a few hours, but by the end, I could tell that the spell was broken. The hypnotic shooting rhythm that had kept me entranced wasn't doing it for me this time around (plus, I still felt cheesed that they sunset all my gear).

And I knew the reason why. It's because in the time away from Destiny, I'd gotten heavily into shmups. I got off Destiny & switched over to Battle Garegga & Ketsui for a couple of hours, and I had a newfound appreciation for what those games were demanding from me, how well they flowed, how well structured they are, and just how much more intensely paced they are. I was a little worried I might get sucked back into Bungie's skinner box, but I think shmups have cured me off my affliction.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

Oooh my God. Gradius 3 SA-1 is so much fun!
My eyes are glazing over playing this. It's so crazy. Wow. @w@

EDIT: I always knew how good this games music was but for some reason I'm really starting to notice it more. This games soundtrack is incredible. Everything is SO lively and fast paced. The bonus music is so fun. It really puts a smile on your face.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Well you inspired me to put on the Gradius III OST while I do some cleaning. Good stuff indeed.

Gradius III SNES is one of those games that sorta surprised me with how much I liked it. Best of the Gradius games, if you ask me.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Currently playing Espgaluda II, Mushihimesama and Neko Navy. Always playing Neko Navy because it's relaxing.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

3's music is deeply charming. My favorite ost on the console.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Been playing Dragon Blaze for Calice Cup. What a fun game! Managed to make it to 1-5, which was sort of a tentative goal. I'm not sure yet if I'm going to move onto the next game, or try to improve more. The upper end of the table is highly competitive, and I have a lot of scores that need more help.
1) Create Scoring System