shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:33 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9686 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 319, 320, 321, 322, 323
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:34 am 

Finally looped SideLine on Hard mode. Took way more effort than it needed to because I kept dying repeatedly at the start of Stage 6, and when I finally cleared the 1st loop I had a ton of lives. Why'd it take so long to do this? Argh. :( Lost a bunch of lives on Loop 2, Stage 7, died on final boss of Loop 2. Ah well.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:34 am 

Not had much time this weekend, but added another bunch of games onto my Neo ASP, and I played a bit of Batsugun. Or at least, up until the second boss, which murdered me horribly. I'm sure I remember having more trouble with this than either the third or fourth bosses back in the Saturn days.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:11 pm 

I don't have much shmupping time these days, but I've been binge R-Type FINAL recently.

Cleared it last week but only with custom ship and most OP weapon set though. I want to handicap myself cleared it again with R-9 ships, preferrably R-9 Delta and Strike Bomber because I want to get stage 6.0 which can only done by one-hit kill stage 5.0 boss.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:39 am 

I've played Otomedius Excellent on my Xbox 360, and I honestly think it's one of the easiest and most boring shmups I've played.
I played Diol Twee, who's such an OP character, along with the gravity weapon, and the bosses die so freakin' quick, it's not even
that funny. It doesn't help that her design is so ugly, as well as many other girls, and the stages and bosses are just forgettable.
Sadly, it's the only shmup I have on my Xbox 360. I really wanted to play Omega Five, a much better game, but it's been delisted.

EDIT: I've also played Xydonia, a fun, retro-looking shmup that is currently in alpha, & I am looking forward to more of its updates.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:14 am 

Still working on Thunder Force 4 . I was out of town for a few days, but Im back home and looking forward to getting back to this. I can consistently get to stage 8 with no deaths but then it all goes to shit.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:38 am 

Been playing a lot of Ginga Force. Refreshingly different from Eschatos, but I'm wondering if a "normal" stage set with the option to switch weapons between each area might have still worked well... can't really 1CC this one the way it's set up.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:52 pm 

Even if you can't swap in between levels, Ginga Force restricting Score Attack mode to 3 preset shot types instead of allowing a 4th custom category (where you can pick from your unlocked weapons) is a definite disappointment. Gradius V becomes a lot more fun when Weapon Edit (custom loadout) mode becomes available, and its score attack doesn't disallow the use of Weapon Edit.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:57 pm 

Iridion gba

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:42 pm 

Been playing a bit of Darius Force/Super Nova recently.

I've been out of stuff to play so I settled on this one. I mostly play on my hacked 3DS and 16 bit and below emulation works quite well for that purpose. I explored the middle route for a potential 1CC but I've settled on the lower route since the bosses are easier and there is one less stage. I'm not a fan of the swarming from all sides type of level design and how the shield works but there's some good in here as well. Stage layouts are generally well made with great environmental obstacles (except for the swarming enemies from all sides stuff) and the challenge is pretty solid. I just need to learn the stages a bit better and come up with some more strategies.

Does anyone know how the shield works? It seems so inconsistent. I'm either taking multiple hits on certain attacks or shield pick ups don't always refill the shield completely.

The ship with the spread lazers also seems to not be able to upgrade its shield? I can't quite figure it out.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:52 pm 

It might work as it does in all darius games: shields have set 'health' on activation (three hits) and collecting another pickup will add health to the shield based on your level (iirc green=1, silver=2, gold=3). So if your green shield is down to 1 hit left, and you pick up a shield powerup, you'll only gain 1 hit. Whereas if you let yourself lose the shield, and pick up the shield pickup then, you will gain 3 hits instead of only one! This is a technique darius players use to give them a little extra cushion.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:39 pm 

And don't bother any more once you get the silver shield. If you tank your shield you'll just break even.

In general, if you do tank it on purpose and then die in that brief moment before the next blue pickup it's gonna feel like a real kick in the jimmy.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:56 pm 

That's good to know. I do sometimes sacrifice the shield to get more hits but its nice to see more detail on it and why that works the way it does.

Also, can some attacks hit you multiple times or take multiple hit points away from the shield? I swear some attacks just melt through shields. But maybe that is just not knowing how many hits are left on the shield?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:57 pm 

Recently cleared Rolling Gunner's Expert mode (with a horrendous score, full rank control in effect for the sake of survival). Working on improving scores in the other mode, would especially like to get a TRUE ALL clear of Original on the board that beats my old score. Already got a run of Novice that's broken my previous score to submit thanks to aggressive pointblanking. There's several boss phases that can be milked for lots of points, I need to incorporate some of these strategies in runs. Novice and Casual I don't think are dense enough to properly do the milk but we'll see!

Wish more people had access to this. Not sure why a digital release hasn't been made available yet, but physical copies are still being sold at least at AkibaHobby (as per RollingGunner's official website).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:23 pm 

esprade still. The clear is in sight though, as usual it's just making into the final boss fight with enough resources. I'm making it to the end of the game consistently, hopefully i can pull this off soon!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:10 pm 

I've finally been playing Ether Vapor Remaster again, and it's still one of the most gorgeous shmups I've played. I'll be uploading my replay on my YouTube channel.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:11 pm 

Blazing Star is sucking me in, away from all the other stuff I've been chipping away at. Its difficulty is in that perfect sweet spot for "just one more game." It might become my new main thing. Well, one of them (I'll never be a one game at a time guy). It still blows me away that they pulled this off on the Neo Geo. Easily up there with Mark of the Wolves for some of the most impressive visuals on the system.

Jonst wrote:
esprade still. The clear is in sight though, as usual it's just making into the final boss fight with enough resources. I'm making it to the end of the game consistently, hopefully i can pull this off soon!

Nice, that game gets pretty punishing toward the end. Stage 5 is about as far as I can get, even on 3 continues.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:17 pm 

^ Thanks man! ... yeah, i never thought i would ever be able to handle stage 4 and above but with constant play i noticed vast improvements in a fairly short time, so figured i'd carry on. It wasn't long before i was making the final boss, it helps thst the game is so much fun!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:47 pm 

Sengoku Strider wrote:
Blazing Star is sucking me in, away from all the other stuff I've been chipping away at. Its difficulty is in that perfect sweet spot for "just one more game." It might become my new main thing. Well, one of them (I'll never be a one game at a time guy). It still blows me away that they pulled this off on the Neo Geo. Easily up there with Mark of the Wolves for some of the most impressive visuals on the system.

Blazing Star is a great game. One thing that helps with that game is that it is extremely static. Things always appear in the same place and move the same way, except for aimed shots that can be manipulated.

I had two boss strategies where I could park in a corner or along a wall and defeat the boss with no effort (and that's without the R-Type ship.)

I also love the ability to use an R-Type style ship in a non R-Type style game. Though I think its actually harder with that ship becuase its firepower is really low, and the final boss is a real pain, so you really want the extra firepower there.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:07 pm 

Recently playing Ginga Force and Dariusburst EX Another Chronicle in the PS4, two of the best shmups of the console, especially Dariusburst EX which I think it is the definitive Darius experience.

STG Wikias: Thunder Force Wiki - Wikiheart Exelica - Ginga Force Wiki

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:26 pm 

To Far Away Times wrote:
Blazing Star is a great game. One thing that helps with that game is that it is extremely static. Things always appear in the same place and move the same way, except for aimed shots that can be manipulated.

I had two boss strategies where I could park in a corner or along a wall and defeat the boss with no effort (and that's without the R-Type ship.)

I also love the ability to use an R-Type style ship in a non R-Type style game. Though I think its actually harder with that ship becuase its firepower is really low, and the final boss is a real pain, so you really want the extra firepower there.

I've been using that ship extensively because, y'know, R-Type, Pulstar, they're cool. But I did notice that the overwhelming majority of high scores were done with the green spread shot ship. Having watched a super play that obliterated my best score by the beginning of stage 2, I can understand why.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:59 am 

Truxton. 3-ALL or bust.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:26 am 

been playing some Blazing Lazers. did you know it is possible to change the difficulty mode? the higher levels are insane.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:29 am 

AZA wrote:
been playing some Blazing Lazers. did you know it is possible to change the difficulty mode? the higher levels are insane.

All time great. Legendary game.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:35 am 

Sengoku Strider wrote:
AZA wrote:

All time great. Legendary game.

yeah blazing lazers is timeless. it has that kind of pick up and play quality where often i find myself playing it while trying to decide what game i should play lol

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:14 pm 

Started going through the freewares I had but never really played. BWR, Eden's Aegis, Eden's Edge.
Got my 1cc on all and loved them. Can't wait for the Blue Desire one x.x is developing.
Now I gotta go back to failing at my quest for Touhou 1cc.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:35 pm 

Steredenn on Switch

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9686 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 319, 320, 321, 322, 323