Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
bottino

Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?

Post by bottino »

Making a comeback with Hishozame. I'm a little rusty, that's for sure...
Marc

Post by Marc »

Messing around with St Dragon. Plain, gimmick-free old-school shooting. Good fun.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
NegativeElectron

Post by NegativeElectron »

Doing a few runs of Ketsui! Trying to reach 1-ALL!
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

Took a little shooter break, but looking forward to getting back to Darius Genesis Mini
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Working through the Psikyo Alpha collection on Switch. Getting along nicely on Strikers 1945, adapting to the joycon not-a-dpad and working through the difficulty settings up to Normal. If I can work out a way to make it through stage 6 I'm confident the 1CC isn't far off.

Strikers 1999 and Dragon Blaze... do these games even know what stage 1 normally looks like in a game :D 1999 I'm getting used to but Dragon Blaze I think will need a dedicated sit down and focus on it.

Psikyo Bravo is due to arrive tomorrow so lunchtimes at work are going to get busy!
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I played a little Pop'n Twinbee on the SFC collection through NSO. Feels pretty responsive, at least in handheld mode.

This seems like an easy shmup to get younger kids into the genre. Pretty easy difficulty curve, cute, mostly forgiving (life bar with frequent health pickups), and very colorful. It matches the series' best in terms of presentation and music (with those cutesy in-between stage interludes that I am very fond of in the series).

Stages are a little overlong (the stage... 2? 3? battleship went on forever, nearly put me asleep!), and some of the mechanics I didn't even touch (what does "Throw" do? I almost never used Punch either), but the game itself is solid. I was surprised at the lack of slowdown except in a few very busy sections. I'll probably put the effort into 1ALL'ing the game if only for its aesthetic pleasure.

I think I would have gotten a 1ALL if I had realized that the little ship icon with numbers in the corner of my screen was my bomb stock (Chibi in the menu), vs my life-bar, which I didn't realize what it was (I don't know if you can have more than one life).
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Gave Type-Z a run on Crimzon Clover: WI default difficulty. powerful ship! But I don't know if it's enough to get me past the default difficulty. I'll give it a go and have some fun regardless :mrgreen:

Also been playing some Prehistoric Isle 2 on the PS4. It's a solid 3 out of 5 game. Nothing spectacular, but it is fun shooting dinosaurs and collecting survivors (EDIT: On reflection, I'm probably being too generous here). Enjoyable for an afternoon or so. Did well on my first playthrough - died at the second boss, then continued and made it all the way to the last boss. Frustratingly (and somewhat embarrassingly) though, I haven't managed to 1cc it yet. It's an easy game no doubt, but I think my mindset is all wrong after that first run. Played too unfocused -it's still a 1 hit and die shmup after all!

Casually getting back into Blue Revolver. I adore this game. The music, graphics and scoring system really appeal to me. I'll pick this up more seriously once I knock off a couple of other games on my list.

Had a very quick 2 credits on Pawarumi, which is no where near enough to get used to the weapon system. It's a more complicated system than other shmups, but an interesting one for sure.

I had some small issues getting my TE2+ to work with Blue Revolver and Pawarumi. Had to make some small adjustments, but nothing overly inconvenient.
Last edited by BurlyHeart on Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
Flobeamer1922

Post by Flobeamer1922 »

Back to Truxton II. The plan is to do one or two credits a day until I get the 1-ALL.
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

Flobeamer1922 wrote:Back to Truxton II. The plan is to do one or two credits a day until I get the 1-ALL.
Good idea. I myself, seem to do better when I just play a couple credits a day.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Tried out Bells 'n' Whistles last night. Potentially great game, spoiled, for me, by the power-up system. It was annoying enough in Parodius, but at least there the bells were only used for score / sub-weapons. Tying the main power-up system into those just makes it massively frustrating and disrupts the action for me, and sadly I don't think I'll be spending much more time with this.
ShamefurDispray

Post by ShamefurDispray »

Thunder Force III. It seems pretty rad. I'm a noob and suck at shmups in general. My only 1ccs are Super Aleste and Deathsmiles on Normal modes. Never got to into horis but I'm loving this one. The thing with Cave stuff is that I'll practice a boss, know the pattern that's coming, and STILL suck at executing it. Can't survive consistently. With TFIII, when I know what's coming I do fine. I like that. Feels like my memorizing pays off. Like I can actually get better in a reasonable amount of time. Hopefully I can find some other chilled out horis like this one.
wxy_2000

Post by wxy_2000 »

I'm trying to clear dodonpachi DOJBL, and I have to practice the first loop again since I have forgot how to play T.T
Marc

Post by Marc »

1944 Loop Master. Game is awesome, though it starts tearing me a new on from ST5 on.
BIL

Post by BIL »

I never got why people tend to hate Gradius II's third stage, the crystal clusterfuck. Just laser the bastards, I thought. Keep your Options all up in 'em for the classic missile teabag maneuver. Awesome thump/crunch SFX, reminds me of eating ice cubes in summer. I hate Gradius III's broadly similar bubble stage, because while you're doing the same there, a million zako are trying to shoot and/or fly up your ass.

st4 (A WAY OUT OF THE DIFFICULTY ♫) though... I find it curious I've not seen similar complaints over the years. Maybe they quit on st3? All I know is if I snooze on its steep increase in enemies and bullets, suddenly I'm playing Gradius II: Poor Little White Guy Yabou. I can recover pretty consistently but holy fuck it's tempting to just restart. st3's a snap to recover and less likely to kill me in the first place.

So I was amused and heartened to check out this friggin 10mil 12-ALL where mighty ZEUS dies and recovers on that very stage. Needless to say, recovering in much finer form than my scurred ass, his factory-fresh Vic dismantling the checkpoint with surgical prowess. I guess it could be for rank or some other obscure superplayer purpose, looked like a legit spill though. Anyway, good show.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Playing a lot of shmups these days. Rotating between Neko Navy, Blue Revolver and Pawarumi.

Neko Navy is superb. Really caught me off guard. I seen it high on 'Top 5 shmups since 2010' twitter lists so decided ot give it a whirl as it was on sale. Whilst not perfect (particularly the leaderboards), the game really is a lot of fun. Playing as the fat cat with spread shot and full screen bomb. Can get to the second last stage and will keep pushing my score and the 1cc. Appears to be quite a few secrets too.

Blue Revolver is just awesome and continues to be one of my fav games. Got the 1cc on Normal mode and can get to St5 on Hyper, but a Hyoer 1cc still needs some practice. Particularly as I keep playing for score rather than play it safe.

Pawarumi is not bad. Easy mode 1cc was done quite quickly, but normal mode is taking longer and I'm overall enjoying the experience. However, the game has some issues, such as some technical problems with my stick and the game freezing when selecting certain menu options. The three weapon system is an interesting twist, but I feel it is let down by the weapons being a little too similar (all variations on a straight forward beam, although red tries something different but doesn't go far enough imo) and the names of the weapon effects being a tad confusing (I thought 'drain' meant stealing your opponents health and caused a boss fight to go longer than it needed). Also not a fan of the slightly spongy enemies. The screen shaking on a level caused me to die a few times until I found a menu option to turn it off. Despite the issues, I am overall enjoying it though - it has a good atmosphere and decent graphics - and will keep trying for the 1cc.
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

You can't really go wrong with those three picks! Great selection of modern shmups that prove the genre is all but dead. :D

Speaking of which, I've picked up Vritra on PC, after realizing that it has a caravan mode. The game is a hori where you control a dragon with a front shot and different secondary shot types that complement it depending on powerup pickups. There is also a burst you can fire that drains a gauge but can be used for scoring and also seems pretty powerful on its own. Many of the enemy patterns and some setpieces should be reminiscent of Gradius games even though it's not an old school shmup. You'll find the classic enemy spawners, a cube stage, sets of ascending and descending platforms to go through, and one of the shot subtypes acts as the Gradius options.

For me the main appeal of this shmup really is its caravan mode, since the main game feels a lot tamer and slower paced than the scoring rush of this caravan mode, named "Setsuna Vritra" and accessible through the "Mugen Vritra" option in the main menu.

That said, it's a shame you have to unlock it first by clearing the main game, which at least you can do by credit-feeding on the lowest difficulty. There are 4 difficulties and the last ones could be more interesting to play...but they are unlockables too. Awful skinnerbox design hindering the game. Another very annoying thing is the general visibility. Some bullets have parts that don't have priority over your main shot and their colors are not very well chosen so it's very frequent to get hit by stuff that comes out of nowhere. Some of your own weapons (like the green secondary shot) is so flashy that it easily obscures a lot of bullet types, but it's one of the more useful shot types so you can't just ignore it. It's weird how the dev didn't notice it. Some midsized enemies also generate screenshake when killed and while it's not too frequent it's still annoying and untoggleable. The end of stage 1 with all the boulders is really bad with this.

Thankfully the caravan mode rocks! What makes the Setsuna Vritra mode really cool is that every enemy defeated drops big sexy jewels for you to collect, and those jewels replenish the burst gauge faster so you can really go ham with it if you move fast and collect many jewels. That level of additional agression wasn't found when I played the main game since you can't speed up the burst use recharge. On top of that you have lots of tiles to destroy, dynamic enemy waves, and special/secret bonuses as per caravan tradition.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
Square_Air

Post by Square_Air »

Been playing more Gunbird 2 lately and managed to get a 1.2 mil+ 1-ALL with all characters and 1.4+ with Tavia and Marion. I've also managed a couple no-miss first loops with Tavia, one of which only used 2 or 3 bombs which is getting really close to ideal. Contrary to what I previously thought, the 2-5 boss can be done consistently. How the fuck you deal with the 2-6 boss if you're not playing Tavia I haven't figured out yet, those needles are nasty. Looking to keep pushing Tavia till' the 2-ALL with a bit of Marion on the side.

Also playing a bit of the first Gunbird again. Still not ready to face the second loop again properly after I got the Marion 2-ALL, but going for a 1-ALL with all characters is a nice relaxing side project. Some day I'll go for the Yuan-Nang 2-ALL as well, I just need another year to get over how traumatic the loop 2 train stage is.
ImageImageImage
| 1cc | Twitch |
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Very cool! I was retrying Marion in Gunbird 2 the other day, and feel like I might stick with her to learn a 1ALL. I recently managed a huge goal of mine in getting past 2-1 in Gunbird with Marion, so I figured I would stick with what I knew. Her advantages remain in the sequel, and moreso because her melee attack is great in GB2.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Mostly been playing Sisters Royale on Switch (maining Sonay). Finally nailed a Hard difficulty all clear earlier today. It was a sloppy run so I know I can do better.

Aside from that, finally "dusted off" my Mushi Futari PCB and popped it back in my vert cab. The term rusty barely begins to describe things here... I just haven't touched the game in ages.
Square_Air

Post by Square_Air »

Got all the other 1-ALL's in Gunbird. Thought it might take a bit longer since Tetsu is kinda bad, but it only took a day. Yuan-Nang being the best didn't really surprise me, but after playing some Valnus I think Marion and him are both tied for second place after Yuan-Nang. That rocket punch doesn't mess around.
EmperorIng wrote:Very cool! I was retrying Marion in Gunbird 2 the other day, and feel like I might stick with her to learn a 1ALL. I recently managed a huge goal of mine in getting past 2-1 in Gunbird with Marion, so I figured I would stick with what I knew. Her advantages remain in the sequel, and moreso because her melee attack is great in GB2.
Congratulations on your Gunbird progress! :D
Marion is a great choice for both Gunbirds. Even though there's an arguably better character in both games (Yuan-Nang & Tavia), she's still very powerful. The general mechanic changes hurt her a bit though. Most flying bosses now have a hitbox you can run into, so even though her 30 HZ point-blank star spam is still really good, it can't be abused as much as it can in Gunbird 1. Her bomb is unfortunately downgraded too, but it still works fine. Her charge shot is pretty good, but the big winner here is that really nice stronk Pom-Pom melee. It would be the best melee in the game if it wasn't for Tavia's (cancels bullets) and Aine's (destroys galaxies).
ImageImageImage
| 1cc | Twitch |
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

Bought Raiden V just now since its on sale for Switch...

Annnd now I'm about to go play Raiden IV because this game immediately sucks. :D
BIL

Post by BIL »

Credit fed through Trigon's first loop, in anticipation of the upcoming ACA release. Seems excellent... it's a blatant "Konaplan" copycat/tribute to Hishouzame - a good one, backed up with Konami's own considerable expertise. If you love sniper tanks, monster tanks and heavy bombers interspersed with meddling air zako, you'll dig this. If you hate slow-ish ships, Fast Aimed Shots™ and checkpoints, less so. :wink: The spread weapon seems a bit weak, while the narrow shot is an almost direct translation of Super Contra (AC)'s machinegun, IE it friggin' rips. The rare, titular "Trigon" option does some crazy tag-team supers in 2P mode, and its slightly less OTT, auto-aiming 1P variant is most welcome too. Apparently the overseas version "Lightning Fighters" lacks the 1P variant, bizarre but par for the course with Konami exports.

The Toaplan riff is kind of amusing given Slap Fight's lifting of the Gradius powerup bar. :mrgreen: Likewise the game's distinct artistic resemblance to fellow epigone Raiden's near-futuristic hard military, both games debuting in 1990. Trigon's lowliest sniper tanks even have Raiden's signature red gem. Also a winning destruction animation - they decap ala Hishou, but the coup de grace is purely a formality, they'll combust and explode at randomised intervals regardless. Good visceral stuff. They're mean little buggers too, especially the advanced types with shotgun spreads and curtain fireballs.

A couple of really cool stages in here amongst the staple forests, deserts and docklands, like the second's brutally shattered city and the seventh's flight over the ominous rune-inscribed mothership seen in the attract mode. Look out for the Pentarous! OST is gallantly tuneful and bombastic, as per prime late-80s Konami - the second BGM in particular is outstandingly galvanising. Same composers as Crisis Force (FC), whose BGM I never really rated tbh, but they're on classic form here. Satisfyingly punchy, pummelling explosion SFX too, and some great engine roars as boss machines swoop in.

Only one real cheapshot here, in said seventh stage, where a powerup icon serves as bait for an instakilling boobytrap (ok), which then cockslaps 75% of the screen (less ok). Though the designers were kind enough to
Spoiler
literally mark out the safespot - get in the ring!
I was so pleased at figuring that out, I couldn't be too mad after! Seems fairly sporting otherwise, though the rank might be an issue. Bullet speed was getting mean by the point I'd no-missed to st5, though I'm sure that was mostly due to my novice handling. It seems the second loop is its final, an ethos I always enjoy in IREM's STGs versus Konami's more typical endless loopers.

I wonder if Mahou Daisakusen's designers were influenced by this at all. I know Hitoshi Sakimoto cited its st1 boss theme as a big influence. The P1 ship is a dead ringer for Gain's Battle Vallhallyzer, and the POW-carrying pickup trucks could've come straight out of Garegga's first stage.

Image Image

The spectacular Dragon Laser made me think of the Mahous' crazy bombs, too. It's uproariously satisfying to let off its chain, tearing around the screen with convincingly bestial rage - wonderfully at odds with the game's conservative nature, like dropping Tatsujin Ou's howling skull into Tiger Heli. The other bomb type, Lightning Sword, is a shorter-lived but precise bullet-cancelling GodLazor, which lets you pointblank heavy targets with impunity. Figured out a nice final boss speedkill using it. Gradius Gaiden veterans will find all of this very familiar. Image
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

Not focusing on anything in particular, but been dabbling in Grid Seeker and a bit of Metal Black
jedinat

Post by jedinat »

XoPachi wrote:Bought Raiden V just now since its on sale for Switch...

Annnd now I'm about to go play Raiden IV because this game immediately sucks. :D
I just bought it on Steam and thankfully Steam does refunds, lol... The game just makes no sense. It looks way worse than Raiden IV, first big mecha enemy encounter had me literally waiting for new parts I could shoot to show up with nothing to dodge or anything (on Normal), and finally the narrative aspect is a pathetic joke.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

I'm playing Blue Wish Hell mode. Practicing and improving steadily. Find I can confidently finish stage 1 and 2 now. I'm working on 3.
jedinat wrote: I just bought it on Steam and thankfully Steam does refunds, lol... The game just makes no sense. It looks way worse than Raiden IV, first big mecha enemy encounter had me literally waiting for new parts I could shoot to show up with nothing to dodge or anything (on Normal), and finally the narrative aspect is a pathetic joke.
Yeah, it's pretty terrible honestly. Bosses suck. Really poor music. Boring sound effects (how do you ruin sound effects in a Raiden game?).
Overly cinematic which is like a multitude of issues from poor clarity to bad pacing. The desert level is AWFUL. The sand scene makes the bullets blend into the background. Bullets are also like the exact same color as medals which there's millions of constantly on screen. So everything is just blinding yellow and I can barely distinguish these fast ass bullets in some particularly clashing areas. Some backgrounds are just a blur of over saturated colors and glow effects that scroll as fast as the scenery in Sonic Unleashed. And then they have these perspectives that make everything pea sized so it's even harder to see and collect stuff.

I also hate that scene nonsense as it is. You have to be ready to pick up your medals because you just lose out on so many if you don't pick them up before "Moulin Rouge Has Passed Act 1". And these breaks just kills the tension before it ever really gets to ramp up.
Can't skip cutscenes. In a shooter.
Distracting dialogue mid level.
And unless there's unlockable settings like SDOJ or AfterBurner Climax, no way to shut off any of this.

The new weapons are kinda cool, I guess. And the new ships look great. Nice art gallery that seems to put emphasis on the actual ships and backgrounds instead of the bland characters no one asked for. This is almost as disappointing as Sine Mora for me. I just hope they port Raiden 4 and Aces to Switch. Don't know what went wrong with this one.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

I was practicing Metal Black for another 1CC, and looked up BIL's old guide for a refresher on a few sections. Had a vertiginous panic attack as I realised today is the guide's 10th anniversary! :lol:

Here's to many more decades of speculative fiction upon the final judgement and death of mankind in STGs.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Oh shit, I completely blanked on that! I've been procrastinating on an update, mostly to get it up to the Gun.Smoke ST's slightly nicer formatting, so now I've got just the motivation. :mrgreen:
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Hell yeah! It's in fantastic condition as it is, but it definitely deserves the attention a 10-year update would bring. :)
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

So just for funsies, I decided to take a look see at the TLB for Blue Wish after my practice runs. I know these are supposed to be this difficult, but for real... How in the fuck? :l
The first pattern is fairly easy but I can't even wrap my head around the third phase let alone the LAST one. But I bet someone on YouTube made it look it can be done blindfolded. lol
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Still playing a run most days on Blue Revolver (Hyper) and been getting to the Stage 4 boss fairly consistently, but usually die while trying to achieve breaks and hoard bombs. Today I ignored the breaks on the St4 boss and made to the twins-ships on Stage 5 before dying. Happy with my progress. It's slow, but there is constant improvement.

Dabbled a bit with Vasara 1 on the Collection. Seems decent, if a bit hard to see what's going on at times. I sometimes confuse bullets for the red diamonds and vice versa. Once I get a Vertical set up again, it may prove easier. Played a couple of credits on the new mode (called 'Timeless' I think?) . It seemed nothing special tbh, but not enough time to say really. Overall, it has already proved worthy of its $0.99 price tag!\

Had one playthrough of Astebreed and made it to the stage 5 boss. Game was nuts! Still don't really understand what's going on, and the story is way too anime for me, but I do admire the passion gone into the game. It's like a playable action anime or something. Will definitely give it another try.

Tried to play Super Galaxy Squadron Ex-Turbo, but my stick wasn't compatible sadly. Have never seen the game mentioned on here but it seems to have decent reviews.
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists: