shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:16 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9438 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 311, 312, 313, 314, 315
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:48 am 

Saint Dragon looks cool. Will pick it up for sure at some stage.

Played a few credits of Captain Tomaday over the weekend. Not terrible, but not a whole lot of fun either. Not sure I can be bothered to learn this one.

Also played a bit of Twinkle Star Sprites after picking up ADK Damashii on sale. It seems a lot of fun. Will spend more time on this and delve into the mechanics. Watched the ever-awesome STG weekly episode today and feel better prepared for my next playthrough.
To Far Away Times

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:50 am 

yo i'll play some Twinkle Star on Fightcade :o i really like that game!

she/her

currently practicing: DoDonPachi DaiFukkatsu 1.5 (Shmup Slam II February 29th! | Novice 2-ALL ~200bil pts)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:54 am 

I have it on PS4, currently don't have fightcade on my PC.

And as much as I enjoy getting my ass handed to me, the distance between our locations would probably be unplayable. Thanks for the offer though :)
To Far Away Times

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:36 am 

Spent an hour messing around on Ghost Pilots last night. Potentially the sort of thing I could really enjoy, if only the sprites weren’t so damn huge! Instead I just spent most of my time wishing I was playing Flying Shark instead. Come on M2, where’s my Toaplan!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:26 am 

Taking a break from Truxton II. Going back to the first Truxton to try for a 2-ALL. This game's a lot of fun!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:27 pm 

Playing a bit of Saint Dragon, now that I picked it up, but mostly working on Grid Seeker. I also need to get back to Ketsui at some point...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:51 pm 

Making a comeback with Hishozame. I'm a little rusty, that's for sure...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:22 am 

Messing around with St Dragon. Plain, gimmick-free old-school shooting. Good fun.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:35 am 

Doing a few runs of Ketsui! Trying to reach 1-ALL!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:31 pm 

Took a little shooter break, but looking forward to getting back to Darius Genesis Mini

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:57 pm 

Working through the Psikyo Alpha collection on Switch. Getting along nicely on Strikers 1945, adapting to the joycon not-a-dpad and working through the difficulty settings up to Normal. If I can work out a way to make it through stage 6 I'm confident the 1CC isn't far off.

Strikers 1999 and Dragon Blaze... do these games even know what stage 1 normally looks like in a game :D 1999 I'm getting used to but Dragon Blaze I think will need a dedicated sit down and focus on it.

Psikyo Bravo is due to arrive tomorrow so lunchtimes at work are going to get busy!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:22 pm 

I played a little Pop'n Twinbee on the SFC collection through NSO. Feels pretty responsive, at least in handheld mode.

This seems like an easy shmup to get younger kids into the genre. Pretty easy difficulty curve, cute, mostly forgiving (life bar with frequent health pickups), and very colorful. It matches the series' best in terms of presentation and music (with those cutesy in-between stage interludes that I am very fond of in the series).

Stages are a little overlong (the stage... 2? 3? battleship went on forever, nearly put me asleep!), and some of the mechanics I didn't even touch (what does "Throw" do? I almost never used Punch either), but the game itself is solid. I was surprised at the lack of slowdown except in a few very busy sections. I'll probably put the effort into 1ALL'ing the game if only for its aesthetic pleasure.

I think I would have gotten a 1ALL if I had realized that the little ship icon with numbers in the corner of my screen was my bomb stock (Chibi in the menu), vs my life-bar, which I didn't realize what it was (I don't know if you can have more than one life).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:24 am 

Gave Type-Z a run on Crimzon Clover: WI default difficulty. powerful ship! But I don't know if it's enough to get me past the default difficulty. I'll give it a go and have some fun regardless :mrgreen:

Also been playing some Prehistoric Isle 2 on the PS4. It's a solid 3 out of 5 game. Nothing spectacular, but it is fun shooting dinosaurs and collecting survivors (EDIT: On reflection, I'm probably being too generous here). Enjoyable for an afternoon or so. Did well on my first playthrough - died at the second boss, then continued and made it all the way to the last boss. Frustratingly (and somewhat embarrassingly) though, I haven't managed to 1cc it yet. It's an easy game no doubt, but I think my mindset is all wrong after that first run. Played too unfocused -it's still a 1 hit and die shmup after all!

Casually getting back into Blue Revolver. I adore this game. The music, graphics and scoring system really appeal to me. I'll pick this up more seriously once I knock off a couple of other games on my list.

Had a very quick 2 credits on Pawarumi, which is no where near enough to get used to the weapon system. It's a more complicated system than other shmups, but an interesting one for sure.

I had some small issues getting my TE2+ to work with Blue Revolver and Pawarumi. Had to make some small adjustments, but nothing overly inconvenient.
To Far Away Times

Last edited by BurlyHeart on Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:54 am 

Back to Truxton II. The plan is to do one or two credits a day until I get the 1-ALL.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:47 pm 

Flobeamer1922 wrote:
Back to Truxton II. The plan is to do one or two credits a day until I get the 1-ALL.

Good idea. I myself, seem to do better when I just play a couple credits a day.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:24 am 

Tried out Bells 'n' Whistles last night. Potentially great game, spoiled, for me, by the power-up system. It was annoying enough in Parodius, but at least there the bells were only used for score / sub-weapons. Tying the main power-up system into those just makes it massively frustrating and disrupts the action for me, and sadly I don't think I'll be spending much more time with this.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:37 am 

Thunder Force III. It seems pretty rad. I'm a noob and suck at shmups in general. My only 1ccs are Super Aleste and Deathsmiles on Normal modes. Never got to into horis but I'm loving this one. The thing with Cave stuff is that I'll practice a boss, know the pattern that's coming, and STILL suck at executing it. Can't survive consistently. With TFIII, when I know what's coming I do fine. I like that. Feels like my memorizing pays off. Like I can actually get better in a reasonable amount of time. Hopefully I can find some other chilled out horis like this one.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:49 am 

I'm trying to clear dodonpachi DOJBL, and I have to practice the first loop again since I have forgot how to play T.T

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9438 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 311, 312, 313, 314, 315