shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:18 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 303, 304, 305, 306, 307
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:21 am 

Thunder Dragon 2. Sometimes it's nice to play a shooter where you just shoot, dodge, bomb, and collect shit. One weapon, one sub, lots of bombs, and no complicated scoring system.

I dig.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:47 am 

Having fun with Gundhara. And I just got Sine Mora EX for Switch in the mail today, but I haven't played it yet.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:16 am 

Made it to the boss rush in AC Gradius II. The biggest danger is surviving the high-speed stage with options, because the Zub Rush before the boss parade is the biggest cause of my lost lives at this point. Recovery from the Zub Rush is probably the hardest thing so far.

To say nothing of the stage afterward! I sometimes don't even have a speed-up, which more or less means I'm screwed. The game is so fantastic though, even with how the speed stage screws you over with dead-ends.

I also came back to ESPGaluda after a long break. Made it to Seseri after 2 attempts, but am still pissed that the final part of stage 5 trips me up (what with enemy streams and turrets), to say nothing of Seseri's first form (total bullshit). I really want to finally put this one away after getting to the final boss several times, but am getting discouraged by st5 wall, and of course there's Jakou's final three forms which almost necessitate you getting there with 3 lives in stock.

Also grinding my way through DariusBurst Chronicle Saviours after a looong hiatus, because I finally want to see Gigantic Bite. I just wish he wasn't hidden behind 10,000 remixes of the same 20 stages and 10 bosses. I wish getting points went faster, since I just want to deck out a ship like Origin with 40 shield and just tank my way, while also not having to deal with this game's biggest sin: its overly anal and finicky burst counter.

Last edited by EmperorIng on Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:18 am 

Hellfire PCB..weapon configuration button still causing me problems in the latter stages.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:35 am 

R-Type 3 last night. Not for me. That first level is beyond tedious, but even subsequent levels seem to follow a pattern of having completely aimless sections, followed by one point that will pretty much kill you unless you knew it was coming, followed by more tedium then the boss. I gave up when I got to the bit on level 4 where you fly through the big crusher thing with the re-spawning turrets on the back, and the spinning arm things that you need to stay between you're being shot at, which suddenly reverse on you with no warning. It threw me back to the beginning of the stage, which is utter tedium (wait here! then.... wait here!), then the lava flow bit killed me off, and I lost all enthusiasm. I'm getting to a point where I'm not gonna force myself to play shit I'm not enjoying, every minute on this was spent with gritted teeth for one reason or another.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:54 pm 

I have been playing a little more of Counterattack, a shmup released on Steam celebrating launch day on March 11. THe power-up system is clearly inspired by Gradius with the hook that you can collect and combine attachments and weapon modules to your fighter. Also big emphasis on local and online multiplayer.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/4516 ... terAttack/

A fun game to try out with friend close at home or online.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:45 am 

M.U.S.H.A. [Genesis].
As much as I like this game, it goes from "there's almost literally no way for me to possibly die to anything on screen" [lol rotating shield, lol losing special weapon instead of a life if you have it] to "oops I've lost three lives in a row and I'm not killing anything fast enough" [got hit by a laser attack/ran into something and powered down, and then it happened again because I was surprised I could get hit by anything, and then it happened again because I couldn't kill what was in front of me anymore].

real shame because it's stylish and has amazing music
but there are chunks of the game that seem to be actually devoid of gameplay since basically nothing can really hurt you in any way for their duration

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:06 pm 

Welcome to Compile. :mrgreen:
Are there higher difficulty levels? Those might be worth trying in case they help with the flow issue.

Stevens wrote:
Thunder Dragon 2. Sometimes it's nice to play a shooter where you just shoot, dodge, bomb, and collect shit. One weapon, one sub, lots of bombs, and no complicated scoring system.

I dig.

The simplicity is one of the best things about TD2, and the way the enemy waves spawn always keeps you busy.
Though to be honest, there are some slightly trickier score mechanics with the bomb bonus and some destruction bonuses (which aren't even important for survival anyway as there aren't any extends), but aside from that it's just speedkilling.

Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:37 pm 

Tried another run of Green Wind on Easy, since discovering a second extend item guarantees a higher end bonus in case of no-miss. Was doing good, with some fancy scoring, but just choked at the final stage, losing that extra life. Oh well, it's coming someday...

That said, I'm playing three shmups now and then these days (in addition to two more non-shmup games), so might get a few new 1ccs soon (yeah right -_-)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:57 pm 

Playing armed formation f atm on the arcade archives. Love this game even before this release always found myself going back to it in mame the psychedelic colours do it for me :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:22 am 

Gradius 3 SNES. Got to the end of the fire level with five lives in stock, got tagged, lost every life trying to squeeze through the tunnel before the boss with no power-ups. That soundtrack though... one of the finest Konami ever put their name to.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:48 pm 

Marc wrote:
That soundtrack though... one of the finest Konami ever put their name to.

yah, even better than the arcade version

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 303, 304, 305, 306, 307