shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:51 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 302, 303, 304, 305, 306, 307  Next
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:37 pm 

Just 1CC'd RollingGunner (or is it Rolling Gunner? the game files and artwork appear to have it without a space).

Fantastic game - the quality of the production values is reminiscent of Crimzon Clover: World Ignition. I'm trying to decide which shot type I prefer between the narrow and speedy shot or the balanced shot type - speed's pretty helpful in several cases, but there are also some slow and tight patterns which are easier with a slower move speed.

Casual Difficulty is a good Novice mode for players who aren't good at shmups but still want to enjoy the game. It's an easy 1CC on your first try though for anyone experienced with arcade difficulty ships as autobombs cost only 1 bomb (for a vastly shorter bomb), and the bullets are all relatively slow due to the lack of a rank system.

Original Difficulty is a blast and is a fairly tricky clear, with the rank mechanic making it similar to Mushihimesama Futari Black Label's difficulty in the sense that it's much easier to go for a 1CC than to play for score. To score well you have to earn medals in hyper/double hyper which also raises the rank. Higher rank gives a multiplier bonus to scoring and that really cranks up the scores while also making the game much more difficult. However, you get lots of powerful, long duration manual bombs to use, which also lower the rank considerably, so as you get better at the game and use fewer bombs you get to score better and keep rank higher. It's also less punishing than Crimzon Clover is in terms of risky scoring, as you can freely bomb out of double hyper.

Enemies are quite nasty though, with lots of stuff popping out all around you at a pace that's on par with or sometimes even more frantic than Progear or Deathsmiles (which both have easy to use lockon shots or direction switching, whereas you have to manually move the ship around to aim). It's a lot of fun to control once you get the hang of it (the focus shot tends to be your go to weapon, and I rarely stay in rapid shot mode for long).

The item based extend is relatively easy to get, and the score extends are easily obtained as well so nothing weird going on in terms of survival. There's also some fantastic encounters that show up, and some of the between stage cutscenes are pretty badass too. Really glad I picked up the physical release, I hope this game gets a digital release so more folks get to see it played.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:04 am 

Been playing a couple PC Engine hu-cards:

Xevious Fardraut
Formation Armed F

I'm probably going to move on to some other shmups in the next couple days. As much as I like these games, the cheap deaths are a bit of a drag. The second stage of Armed F has a narrow gap that you're supposed to squeeze through in a timely fashion and I get stuck there too often. Xevious Fardraut is less frustrating-- I might go back to it soon.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:57 pm 

I'm playing Area 88 (otherwise known as UN Squadron). Easy and normal mode were no problem for me, but hard mode is another story. The temporary autofire design decision is baffling and annoying, but I've enabled autofire on Joytokey as a means of circumventing it. The bonus stages are boring and tedious. It also takes way too long to save up for the final ship. Other than all that, the game is terrific.
There was a time, in the era of great chaos, when the Earth and the moon were at war with each other. A daredevil from the moon piloted a bizarre aircraft. It was feared, and because of its shape, called... Einhander.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:48 pm 

Still Ketsui arcade.

Have routes down to the tune of 50 million by the end of stage three. Which is getting further and further away from looking like shit and starting to resemble something that looks like I have an idea of what I'm doing.

Haven't spent much time on stage four. The opening is rough, mid boss is OK, but after that its the shit stage three used to look like. Currently zero idea how to proceed after the mid boss.

For now.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:18 am 

I've actually been enjoying ghost blade hd. Finally, it doesn't feel embarrassing to play anymore.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:10 am 

Jonst wrote:
I've actually been enjoying ghost blade hd. Finally, it doesn't feel embarrassing to play anymore.

Ditto, I've been on a Ghost Blade kick recently, so much that I have it on all current gen systems (minus WiiU and DC versions, of course).

And a few random STG's to play here and there.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:34 am 

^ yeah, despite playing a load of far better shmups recently, I've really been having fun with it!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:19 pm 

Gradius (NES) on Switch using classic controllers because I'm ab 80's kid.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:40 pm 

My first ESPGaluda practice since the holidays. I got very angry losing dumb lives to st3 and st4 bosses, plus st5. I somehow made it past Seseri but died before triggering the 14mill extend. I guess I can consider that pretty good but I was bummed about not making it to the last boss.

"What's that? He doesn't trigger the 14m extend until stage 5?"

Yeah yeah yeah I know about the multipliers and shit. But I am not going to make rank, or my life harder than it needs to be.

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:55 pm 

If you're not doing it yet, it's really helpful to crank up the Kakusei Over (the meter that fills up when you are in Kakusei but are out of gems - it fills faster when you stop shooting). The easiest place to do this is on the Stage 1 boss. Unlike Espgaluda II, when you die it resets, but so long as you avoid dying, a higher Kakusei Over level produces more green gems normally, so you have an easier time generating Kakusei. The disadvantage is that you have to react quicker and shift back if you accidentally run out of gems but that's manageable.

Easiest place and best place to go into Kakusei Over to max out the rank early as far as I know is against the Stage 1 boss.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:01 am 

My current duo of hu-cards:

Override
Violent Soldier

These are really impressive so far!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:32 pm 

Ketsui

Stage one I'm averaging 13 - 14 million (my pb is 14 and change).

I went back to stage two to iron out some problem spots. Specifically the getting max popcorn after the mid boss and routing the 2nd half of the stage up to the boss. I noticed that sometimes I could get through, but other times I would tend to die at the same spot. That was something I needed to fix.
Depending on the timing of the mid boss I usually get out of stage two with anywhere between 28 - 34 million.

After spending some time routing the 1st half of stage three I actually earned the 2nd score extend while fighting the mid boss. I don't see that happening in an actual run just yet, but it is nice to know the potential is there.

Played a full credit after that and made it just passed the stage four mid boss. Still haven't put any real time into learning four yet, especially the latter half.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:10 pm 

DOJ WL, day 134. I've tried some full runs and I've reached 2-3. 2-ALL seems like a very doable task for me now.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:59 pm 

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:
If you're not doing it yet, it's really helpful to crank up the Kakusei Over (the meter that fills up when you are in Kakusei but are out of gems - it fills faster when you stop shooting). The easiest place to do this is on the Stage 1 boss. Unlike Espgaluda II, when you die it resets, but so long as you avoid dying, a higher Kakusei Over level produces more green gems normally, so you have an easier time generating Kakusei. The disadvantage is that you have to react quicker and shift back if you accidentally run out of gems but that's manageable.

Easiest place and best place to go into Kakusei Over to max out the rank early as far as I know is against the Stage 1 boss.

I actually didn't know this - I must have misread the information in the threads on the Strategy forum. I've sparingly put some of the work into practice, though doing so seems to make rank/bullet speed increase. A small upside: if it does increase rank it makes Stage 2 a little less dull and boring (Truth be told I'm usually on autopilot until stage 4 at this point, with the exception of the st3 boss's penultimate attack).

Thanks for the tip! It's been a few days since I've practiced so I should try again so as not to lose my muscle memory.

OmKol wrote:
DOJ WL, day 134. I've tried some full runs and I've reached 2-3. 2-ALL seems like a very doable task for me now.

Wow, impressive, especially with WL. Are you using A-EX or some variant?

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:54 pm 

EmperorIng wrote:
OmKol wrote:

Wow, impressive, especially with WL. Are you using A-EX or some variant?

A-EX. Btw just cleared 2-5 with Hibachi on a recent practice run.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:48 am 

I'm chipping away very, very slowly at Crimzon Clover on Original mode. It seems to me that a lot of the difficulty comes from knowing which enemies to kill with lock-on shots, and getting a feel for how much health those enemies have (so that you don't preemptively kill them with regular shots). This is going to take awhile.
There was a time, in the era of great chaos, when the Earth and the moon were at war with each other. A daredevil from the moon piloted a bizarre aircraft. It was feared, and because of its shape, called... Einhander.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:28 pm 

Strikers 1945 II on my new HORI stick for Nintendo Switch affectionately renamed the Luigi Board.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:14 am 

Cleared all modes of wangan sensou (w/ a little bit of score here or there). Still a lot of optimization to be done w/ routing your "air-hopping"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:36 am 

Remember enjoying Thunderforce III many many years ago so picked up IV on Switch. NOT my bag at all. Visuals are horrible, it's actually kind of difficult to tell what can and can't kill you at times.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:10 am 

DOJ WL, day 149. 2-ALL can happen anytime.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:17 pm 

Having fun with Espgaluda 2 (ios). Touch controls make the game a different experience, but just as addictive :lol: Working on finding the best routes for survival and scoring. It's a tough game to do right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbZLaKTtUgI

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:24 am 

I don't know If that count as a game, but I got a bit into Dezaemon Plus, the PSX version of the shmup creator. Although the title is jp-only, it has minimal japanese text and really doesn't need any translation. Looks like most of the neat stuff you can do with it is with the graphics and music. The soundtrack is done in a similar fashion as in Mario Paint, for those who are familiar with it. Even if you don't have the patience to compose a full musical sheet, you can throw some simple chords and let the autodrum do the rest. You can set the autodrum to different styles and moods, which works pretty well, and the drum pattern can change after maybe two compasses. You can manually make your own drum pattern, but the game doesn't play two notes at the same time (or I don't know how). By now, I've been trying to recreate Psycho Killer just for fun, before I can think of a stupid shooter to make.

Had some fun with the default games. They're virtually the same aside graphics and music, and don't do a good job showing off Dezaemon's capacity. After messing with the sample games for a while you'll notice the same weapons, same boss attack etc.
INFERNO was made in Dezaemon Plus and it's really impressive, but I don't know how one could play it now.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:36 am 

Espgaluda. Glad to be taking something seriously for a change! If I care enough, I might actually have something decent to show for it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:17 pm 

Blue Revolver. Normal mode was a really easy clear, but Hyper is smashing me. Dunno why this game has such an "easy" reputation; those patterns are really vicious at high rank, and you don't get enough lives to really control it.

Gave Caladrius Blaze a shot too, since I usually Moss's work, but I bounced off of this HARD and just got a refund instead. Weird because usually I love me some weapon gimmicks, but CB just didn't feel good to play for some reason.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:12 pm 

Marc wrote:
Remember enjoying Thunderforce III many many years ago so picked up IV on Switch. NOT my bag at all. Visuals are horrible, it's actually kind of difficult to tell what can and can't kill you at times.

I had the exact opposite reaction when I picked it up a couple months ago on my Genesis.. I think its one of the prettiest and slickest looking 16 bit shooters ever made. IMO a timeless game that just doesn't age.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:14 am 

Thunder Force IV is pretty solid for a console game. Shame the scoring's busted, though. I don't think Gold Pack/Switch ever fixed that...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:39 pm 

DDP:SDOJ on 360.

Novice mode - red ship with laser - auto bomb on - getting to level 4. :oops:

If I perservere with arcade mode I can get to level 3 (sometimes). Novice mode is very good with this game though - it isn't the walkover that novice Futari is.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:12 pm 

davyK wrote:
DDP:SDOJ on 360.

Novice mode - red ship with laser - auto bomb on - getting to level 4. :oops:

If I perservere with arcade mode I can get to level 3 (sometimes). Novice mode is very good with this game though - it isn't the walkover that novice Futari is.

I might have to try that myself - to be honest it's a game I find do demoralizingly difficult I've very rarely been back to it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:56 pm 

I've been messing around a bit with the Mega Drive port of Kyuukyoku Tiger. It's basically like playing the arcade version with the top half of the screen cut off. Feels pretty cramped and enemies with point blank you (from behind, no less) or kamikaze you at every opportunity. Frustrating as hell, but I still think it's a nice port. Really keeps you at the edge of your seat from the first stage. :shock:
Graphics are nicely detailed as well, and the sound is excellent, probably the best of all home versions! Much more oomph than the original arcade release.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:27 pm 

DDP DOJ Tamashii (M.A.M.E. 0.203).

Nice game version and good emulation.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 302, 303, 304, 305, 306, 307  Next