shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum
 
* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:57 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 300, 301, 302, 303, 304  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:18 pm 



Joined: 02 Dec 2017
Posts: 72
Location: PA,USA
I can not stop playing Ketsui.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:20 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 01 May 2014
Posts: 2260
Location: Brooklyn NY
First credits of Zero Ranger since last Friday. First credits of anything since last Friday actually..

Reached 2-2's boss again, and then put in some practice. Downed the boss after a few tries (think I have him sort of figured out) and continued with practicing the second loop.

All I have to say is wow, the depths of this one must be seen to be believed.

Everyone should be playing this.
_________________
"Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience."


Top
 Online Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:02 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 13 Jan 2010
Posts: 145
Location: Aberdeen. Scotland
Started Shienryu ( Saturn) this morning, I know it's not the best Saturn shooter but I keep going back to it.The controls & speed of the ship are spot on, the music could be better though.. The red octopus :lol:


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:48 pm 



Joined: 03 May 2012
Posts: 132
Location: Russia, Moscow
DOJ WL, day 107. Starting from 2-1 died on 2-4 boss fight. I should better learn railguns.
_________________
1CC list


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:43 am 



Joined: 26 Jan 2015
Posts: 153
Location: Southern Cali
garrz32 wrote:
Started Shienryu ( Saturn) this morning, I know it's not the best Saturn shooter but I keep going back to it.The controls & speed of the ship are spot on, the music could be better though.. The red octopus :lol:


Finally there is someone else like me playing on original hardware. I don't know what it is about Saturn shooters, but I gotta have them all. Almost bought Hyper Duel today, but "the adult and responsible" in me said "not now".


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:08 am 


User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2012
Posts: 3221
Location: Chicago, IL
garrz32 wrote:
Started Shienryu ( Saturn) this morning, I know it's not the best Saturn shooter but I keep going back to it.The controls & speed of the ship are spot on, the music could be better though.. The red octopus :lol:

Even better because no matter what you'll be fighting the red octo for a loooong time, especially if you are using the Blue Lightning which will net you more points on the boss.

Shienryu is a great game, some audio duds aside :wink: Pretend you are playing the real sequel to Tatsujin, ha!
_________________
Image
Devil Engine ~ Sound Design || EC2151 ~ My FM music & more! || 1CC List || PCE-CD: The Search for Quality


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:18 am 


User avatar

Joined: 13 Jan 2010
Posts: 145
Location: Aberdeen. Scotland
Gamer707b wrote:
Finally there is someone else like me playing on original hardware. I don't know what it is about Saturn shooters, but I gotta have them all. Almost bought Hyper Duel today, but "the adult and responsible" in me said "not now".


Saturn is my console of choice, followed by the PCE. I have most of the shooters on original disc for the Saturn but I use the everdrive for the PCE.

I try to play most of my games on the original hardware where possible but sometimes it's not possible :wink:

Don't listen to your adult self, takes the fun out of life! 8)


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:23 am 


User avatar

Joined: 13 Jan 2010
Posts: 145
Location: Aberdeen. Scotland
EmperorIng wrote:

Even better because no matter what you'll be fighting the red octo for a loooong time, especially if you are using the Blue Lightning which will net you more points on the boss.

Shienryu is a great game, some audio duds aside :wink: Pretend you are playing the real sequel to Tatsujin, ha!


:lol: :lol:


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:47 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 01 May 2014
Posts: 2260
Location: Brooklyn NY
garrz32 wrote:
Gamer707b wrote:
Finally there is someone else like me playing on original hardware. I don't know what it is about Saturn shooters, but I gotta have them all. Almost bought Hyper Duel today, but "the adult and responsible" in me said "not now".


Saturn is my console of choice, followed by the PCE. I have most of the shooters on original disc for the Saturn but I use the everdrive for the PCE.

I try to play most of my games on the original hardware where possible but sometimes it's not possible :wink:

Don't listen to your adult self, takes the fun out of life! 8)


707 - just buy it. A repro is under $20 and will let you enjoy the game and looks good on your shelf too! If you really care about having the real thing you can always pick it up later. Or you may decide you didn't care as much as you thought:D

https://www.etsy.com/listing/638171036/ ... _active_84

Post script to the adult self comment - I was in Video Games NY a few years ago. I went with a friend and saw they had something I had been considering (think it was Mushi Futari), but waffled on it since I had just bought something about a week prior.

Me - Not sure I should buy this.

Friend of (now) 30+ years - If 14 year old Michael was in here he would punch you in the face for even thinking that. Of course you should buy it.

I bought it.
_________________
"Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience."


Top
 Online Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:42 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 24 May 2013
Posts: 1204
Location: Green hill zone
Still under defeat... and the clear should be anytime now. Nearly pulled it off at least 3 times now, the only thing that makes me nervous now are the flying tanks in stage 5 and the final form of the final boss. I can't wait to get this out of the way and never play it again.
_________________
"Just fire and forget" 1cc List


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:06 am 



Joined: 26 Jan 2015
Posts: 153
Location: Southern Cali
Just got Thunder Force 4 in the mail a couple days ago. Love it!! This is my second Thunder Force game so far, and this and the 3rd one are gems indeed. Ive had an annoying cold since last Friday. Havent been able to play it proper, but I cant wait to get into this.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:23 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 04 Nov 2011
Posts: 58
Playing Mushihimesa 1.5 for PC in between playing Killer 7


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:58 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 02 Sep 2015
Posts: 27
Have been putting a little more work into Deltazeal. Some consider this a futile endeavor because of the apparent faults of this game, but for reasons I still find it has its moments.

*Edit: I'm playing the Steam edition


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:30 am 



Joined: 15 Nov 2018
Posts: 4
I've been playing Super Hydorah and I absolutely love it. It's exactly what I've been looking for-- everything I love about Gradius without the unforgiving difficulty.

The only thing I dislike about it is that you can quit to the main menu at any time when you're struggling at a level and restart your save file, which restores you to the number of lives you had before you attempted the stage. Sort of kills my enthusiasm for wanting to get better at the game, knowing an exploit like this exists that gives you infinite attempts.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:15 pm 



Joined: 26 Jan 2015
Posts: 153
Location: Southern Cali
@garrz32 & Stevens- I will eventually get Hyper Duel but when "it feels right". If you know what I mean. I will go the legit copy route being that I don't normally buy much of the newer stuff. My logic is instead of buying a bunch of new $60 games, I can pay the price of 4 or 5 PS4 games and get a classic game. The difference is with something like Hyper Duel, I can put a shit ton of time into. Just replay the hell out of it. Instead of finishing a new game in 8 or 9 hours and never touching it. BTW, your story of "the 14 year old me" takes myself back to when life was so simple and pure. If you had $10 you went to the store and spent it. But the 30s and 40s story is "I have my mortage coming, car payment, children obligations and everything else. Sometimes things like Hyper Duel have to take a back seat. LOL.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:51 am 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Feb 2005
Posts: 2002
Location: Wigan, England.
Darksun wrote:
I've been playing Super Hydorah and I absolutely love it. It's exactly what I've been looking for-- everything I love about Gradius without the unforgiving difficulty.

The only thing I dislike about it is that you can quit to the main menu at any time when you're struggling at a level and restart your save file, which restores you to the number of lives you had before you attempted the stage. Sort of kills my enthusiasm for wanting to get better at the game, knowing an exploit like this exists that gives you infinite attempts.


I was enjoying it but something feels 'off' about the controls. It doesn't seem to move smoothly, almost as though the ship will suddenly accelerate if you move in one direction too long.
_________________
XBL: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:11 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 10 Sep 2009
Posts: 427
Location: Finland
Marc wrote:
I was enjoying it but something feels 'off' about the controls. It doesn't seem to move smoothly, almost as though the ship will suddenly accelerate if you move in one direction too long.

As it turns out, there's ever so slight acceleration even when using D-pad, as explained by Locomalito himself. It does feel pretty weird even after playing for a while but nothing insurmountable. I actually managed to 1cc the game on my Switch while playing handheld mode. It was initially much more brutal than I remembered and I'm still missing few secrets, but choosing proper weapons for each stage really makes the difference in this game. I'm kinda wondering how plausible it even would be to clear the game with just the initial weapon loadout...
_________________
ZeroRanger - RELEASED!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:32 pm 



Joined: 15 Nov 2018
Posts: 4
Marc wrote:
Darksun wrote:
I've been playing Super Hydorah and I absolutely love it. It's exactly what I've been looking for-- everything I love about Gradius without the unforgiving difficulty.

The only thing I dislike about it is that you can quit to the main menu at any time when you're struggling at a level and restart your save file, which restores you to the number of lives you had before you attempted the stage. Sort of kills my enthusiasm for wanting to get better at the game, knowing an exploit like this exists that gives you infinite attempts.


I was enjoying it but something feels 'off' about the controls. It doesn't seem to move smoothly, almost as though the ship will suddenly accelerate if you move in one direction too long.



Really? I haven't noticed it. Sometimes my ship will start randomly moving upwards because of annoying joycon drift though (not near any environmental hazards).


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:06 pm 



Joined: 03 May 2012
Posts: 132
Location: Russia, Moscow
DOJ WL, day 115. Holy shit... Just did four stages of second loop in one sitting. The real deal is coming really soon.
_________________
1CC list


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:30 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 13 Jan 2010
Posts: 145
Location: Aberdeen. Scotland
Gamer707b wrote:
@garrz32 & Stevens- I will eventually get Hyper Duel but when "it feels right". If you know what I mean. I will go the legit copy route being that I don't normally buy much of the newer stuff. My logic is instead of buying a bunch of new $60 games, I can pay the price of 4 or 5 PS4 games and get a classic game. The difference is with something like Hyper Duel, I can put a shit ton of time into. Just replay the hell out of it. Instead of finishing a new game in 8 or 9 hours and never touching it. BTW, your story of "the 14 year old me" takes myself back to when life was so simple and pure. If you had $10 you went to the store and spent it. But the 30s and 40s story is "I have my mortage coming, car payment, children obligations and everything else. Sometimes things like Hyper Duel have to take a back seat. LOL.



I hear you, think most of us on here are in the same boat bud. Growing old sucks


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:44 am 


User avatar

Joined: 11 Mar 2017
Posts: 5
Playing some Raiden IV and just bought Danmaku Unlimited 2/3 on Steam today on sale


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:55 am 


User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2012
Posts: 3221
Location: Chicago, IL
Unless my memory is bad for the past, I got to stage 5 on a single credit for the first time in ESPGaluda. I did pretty well on the train boss in st4. I used to think it was a nearly impossible fight, but careful savestate practice has let me see a lot of routes through.

Credit-feeding TLB makes me give up hope. (warning: scrub alert) Like most Cave final bosses it just feels like an insurmountable slog with inflated health bars. That final phase is plain bullshit. It was when I first started playing the game casually years ago, and still is.

Also, confession time. Finally got over my touhou snobbery and started playing them seriously, starting with Imperishable Night. It's a good game.
_________________
Image
Devil Engine ~ Sound Design || EC2151 ~ My FM music & more! || 1CC List || PCE-CD: The Search for Quality


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:04 am 



Joined: 26 Jan 2015
Posts: 153
Location: Southern Cali
Just cleared Thunder 3 on Genesis a few minutes ago. This game is just so smooth. Also did a run of Thunder Force 4. Another beautifully polished 16 bit shooter.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:57 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 17 Sep 2007
Posts: 927
Location: Brazil RJ
This was a good year to me.
I was very busy but I could play some games, like I didn't in a long time. My CRT and PC died later year. Tried buy a new PC to play shmups and record replays, but was stolen by bad with a gun. Then I played in a notebook with a lcd display and could not play shmups because this. My results to 2017:
Sengoku 3 no miss
The punsher no miss
Battle circuit no miss
Aliens vs Predator no miss
Metal Slug no miss
Metal Slug X no miss
Currently playing Metal Slug 3, I hope get a setup and play shmups again next year. My favorite game genre ever!!!!!!!!!!!!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:41 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 24 May 2013
Posts: 1204
Location: Green hill zone
I decided to give up on the under defeat 1cc. The game is fun And awesome... until the final boss, which is pure un-fun bullshit. I went back to see if I could beat my old akai katana shin score, which I did! I love katana, shin and zetsu are just always so fun, I never get sick of playing it.
_________________
"Just fire and forget" 1cc List


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:39 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 01 May 2014
Posts: 2260
Location: Brooklyn NY
Aww. Sorry man. It wasn't for lack of trying.

Zero Ranger is dope if you haven't had a chance to play it yet. Looking forward to Ketsui too, never had the chance to play it proper.
_________________
"Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience."


Top
 Online Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:10 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 24 May 2013
Posts: 1204
Location: Green hill zone
Stevens, you would have been proud. I really put some work in, even had an ok score. I have the whole game down and I was able to see the progression each game... I love it but hate purely because of the final boss, it's just one form too many especially as you have little to no room for mistakes with no extends. I was regularly no-missing up until the stage 5 flying tanks at least, but that last boss kills the game for me.

Ketsui is superb! I'm looking forward to the ps4 version... just need a ps4!
_________________
"Just fire and forget" 1cc List


Last edited by Jonst on Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:28 am 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Feb 2005
Posts: 2002
Location: Wigan, England.
Blazing Star. The variance in graphical quality within this game is immense. That stage 3 boss that scrolls downwards... I literally cannot see what the HELL is going on against that backdrop.
_________________
XBL: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:12 am 


User avatar

Joined: 10 May 2007
Posts: 11112
Location: COLONY
third_strike wrote:
This was a good year to me.
I was very busy but I could play some games, like I didn't in a long time. My CRT and PC died later year. Tried buy a new PC to play shmups and record replays, but was stolen by bad with a gun. Then I played in a notebook with a lcd display and could not play shmups because this. My results to 2017:
Sengoku 3 no miss
The punsher no miss
Battle circuit no miss
Aliens vs Predator no miss
Metal Slug no miss
Metal Slug X no miss
Currently playing Metal Slug 3, I hope get a setup and play shmups again next year. My favorite game genre ever!!!!!!!!!!!!


Good to see you again! But damn, sorry about the robbery. :sad: Glad to hear you're doing better. :smile:
_________________
Image
THE MIRAGE OF MIND Metal Black ST | THE MASSACRE Gun.Smoke ST [MUH YOUTOOB]
NON FICTION


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:58 am 


User avatar

Joined: 01 May 2014
Posts: 2260
Location: Brooklyn NY
Zero Ranger, first credit in two weeks. Finally broke through to 2-4.
_________________
"Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience."


Top
 Online Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 300, 301, 302, 303, 304  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot], Stevens and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Space Pilot 3K template by Jakob Persson
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group