Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
DialKnight

Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?

Post by DialKnight »

Slapfight MD
cicada88

Post by cicada88 »

ChoRenSha 68K everyday recently, Windows port obv
travie_64

Post by travie_64 »

I'm currently playing Blue Revolver.

It's just because I moved and I'm staying with a friend at the moment and haven't hooked up my PC. So, I'm forced to play whatever I can on my 3DS and MacBook Air. And surprise, there aren't many shmups on the Mac.
Twitter: @travis_stywall_

Deathsmiles Mega Black Label
Arcade - Follett - ALL - 231,142,096 [vid]
pandaphantasm

Post by pandaphantasm »

Stevens wrote:Had the time and energy for two credits of UD today.

First I started on default settings. Credit was going well but my timing was just a few frames off for much of the run. I found a way to not bomb one part on 1-4 that I've always bombed though, so that's good. In the end I got the clear, but failed to access the 2nd loop.
I'm playing a totally different game myself but as I'm still a shmup rookie it's cool to see reports of one/low credit clearing while still using bombs, and maybe later improving and finding ways to navigate a particular barrage of shit on the screen without their aid. I've been avoiding bombing like the plague lately because I try to not get in the habit of relying on it...

...which is why all too often I die and get zero bomb replenishment. That's not too smart either.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

pandaphantasm wrote:
I'm playing a totally different game myself but as I'm still a shmup rookie it's cool to see reports of one/low credit clearing while still using bombs, and maybe later improving and finding ways to navigate a particular barrage of shit on the screen without their aid. I've been avoiding bombing like the plague lately because I try to not get in the habit of relying on it...

...which is why all too often I die and get zero bomb replenishment. That's not too smart either.
You gotta use those bombs! Best idea for newer players is to use bombs to get through tough parts. Then, if you don't have enough bombs to make it through start trying to figure out which parts you can avoid bombing during. Also good to leave a few bombs for panic use.

That being said, actually using bombs when you need to is really hard. There tends to be a lot of things that encourage you to do otherwise. Especially if you run out of bombs and play without them for a while, then you die and have bombs again, but are less ready to use them. I still suck at actually using them.

The other option is to play games that have no bombs or rechargeable bomb-like mechanics.

EDIT: On topic, played some Triggerheart last night. Managed to get through stage 4 in practice a few times and started trying to get a 1cc recording. Did not succeed, but at least I'll be a little less rusty next time.
YouTube | Restart Syndrome | 1cclist | Go Play Mars Matrix
Solunas wrote:How to Takumi your scoring system
1) Create Scoring System
2) Make it a multiplier for your actual score
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

pandaphantasm wrote:I'm playing a totally different game myself but as I'm still a shmup rookie it's cool to see reports of one/low credit clearing while still using bombs, and maybe later improving and finding ways to navigate a particular barrage of shit on the screen without their aid. I've been avoiding bombing like the plague lately because I try to not get in the habit of relying on it...

Ha ha. I wound up putting that particular part is back on my "spots I'm going to bomb list". Bombing there outweighed the utility of starting the final stage with five bombs instead of four. Also worth noting is that the penalty for bombing in Under Defeat is nearly non existent if you know where to bomb.

That said there are six or seven (depending if I bomb the 1-4 boss or not) planned spots I still bomb without fail in the 1st loop. Five of those are offensive. I use them to dispatch particular enemies quickly. The other two are definitely more defensive in nature. Not included in that total are any defensive bombs I use on the last boss.

Hyp had some great advice as always so I'll echo his sentiment - use your bombs. And even better if you have planned where you will use them ahead of time.
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
pandaphantasm

Post by pandaphantasm »

Awesome advice LordHypnos & Stevens, thanks :)

Back on topic: DoDonPachi has overtaken Blazing Star in the must-figure-out-how-this-game-works/3-5CC mission. Equal parts doing my homework on the genre / having a blast (no pun (kinda?) intended).
Last edited by pandaphantasm on Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Stevens wrote: Hyp had some great advice as always so I'll echo his sentiment - use your bombs. And even better if you have planned where you will use them ahead of time.
Yes, this is very good advice. I didn't really explain it too well in my response, but it's not nearly so hard to know where to bomb if you already know where to bomb :wink:
1) Create Scoring System
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Dicked around in practice mode for a bit before going after 2nd loop hard.

Didn't clear it this time, but I did no miss until the final boss. And that was after a huge gaffe on the flying tanks without bombs.
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Currently working on BR Hyper stage 5. I thought I had gotten it down pretty well up to the 3rd midboss, but then I started having trouble getting from midboss 2 to midboss 3. Also still haven't yet gotten from start to midboss 3 in one run without dying.

Also last night was trying again to get a good capture of Triggerheart Exelica, and was really consistently NMNB all the way to the s3 boss, but I think I'm gonna need to learn how to beat faintear in stage 3 b/c I keep triggering her, and I'm not consistent enough at stage 4 or 5 to be able to make it through if I have a death in stage 3, I don't think. At least she doesn't look insanely hard. Just gonna be a pain to have to play through all of stage 3 just to practice her.
1) Create Scoring System
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

still playing Tatsujin. I'm making it to stage 4 like 1/4 of my runs.

it's really hard to keep my emotions under control in a game like this. because the bullet patterns are so fast and sparse the realization that I'm going to die pretty much only happens when I actually die, which is really startling, makes me frustrated, etc, which then carries over into the next life where I die even faster because I'm still flustered and also now powered down. basically I just need to figure out how to chill and realize that dying once (or twice!) on stage 2 or whatever doesn't mean the run is over
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

I'm almost there. I made it all the way to the proverbial end of the road.

Died once on 1-5, then again on 2-4.

2-5's boss ended my bid for the ALL this time, but this is the furthest I've ever gotten in the 350 hours I've put into Under Defeat.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Stevens wrote:I'm almost there. I made it all the way to the proverbial end of the road.

Died once on 1-5, then again on 2-4.

2-5's boss ended my bid for the ALL this time, but this is the furthest I've ever gotten in the 350 hours I've put into Under Defeat.
Damn, that is close! So close!
1) Create Scoring System
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Giga Wing, no reflect. I'm getting more reliable in runs, though the Stage 4 boss's unpredictability is a major headache for me. I usually plan a bomb for safety there... Stage 6 boss's cube form is getting better, can sometimes kill it with just 1 bomb (that spray attack of shootable bullets is always troublesome).

Closest I've gotten to a no reflect clear is 0L 1B going into the last attack of the game. The TLB's troublesome - its first and third phases are high speed and difficult to clear without bombing. Its second attack is a fullscreen spray but it's slow and loose enough to dodge through. Its last attack is basically an ultra-dense version that's next to impossible to dodge through safely (it's technically possible but very, very hard to do so, especially when you're trying to stay in front of it to damage it).

I just need to get to the TLB with more resources stocked...
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Keep at it Roo!

Made 2-5 again on Sunday but didn't get as far. Gonna take a few days off and concentrate on 2nd loop hard when I go back to it to break it up. Won't take another serious run at it till Thursday or Friday.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Been playing way to many games that aren't my main focus of Blue Revolver Hyper Mode. Probably not good. Most of this has been trying to get a video capture of Triggerheart Exelica. I don't know what was going on the other day when I was NMNBing all the way to the stage 3 boss, but last couple times I tried I was not doing that good. Also, I don't think I'll get much more consistent at stage 4 (though I'm very inconsistent, especially on that god damn boss), but I think it would be essential to get a more solid route for stage 5. Keep losing my last life there. On the plus side, I made it all the way to the final boss before game over once and got an improved score (110 million), so that'll be something even if I never clear the game again.

Also played Sengoku Blade a few times. It's pretty fun. I like that I don't need an external monitor for it to not be bullshit since it's a hori, but there is some minor noticeable lag. Also played like 3 credits of Giga Wing as the carmine, and it was pretty fun. Maybe the first few stages get boring eventually, but they weren't for the couple credits that I played.

Finally, I have been keeping on with Blue Revolver. Cleared normal mode. In hyper mode, still very inconsistent on the last two stages (probably the early ones too, but I haven't practiced them as much). Still seems like I'm pretty far from clearing. Last full credit I attempted ended on the fourth stage I think, which isn't even my best. Probably was on higher rank this time. I'd have to check to see if the score is an improvement, but it didn't look like it.
1) Create Scoring System
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

LordHypnos wrote: Most of this has been trying to get a video capture of Triggerheart Exelica. I don't know what was going on the other day when I was NMNBing all the way to the stage 3 boss, but last couple times I tried I was not doing that good.
What's your opinion on auto-rotate vs manual rotation (assuming you're playing a console port)? I've tried manual rotation, and I get that it allows additional options on how to use captured ships, but the rotation feels so clunky to get moving manually. I can never seem to figure out how to reliably get a high speed spin going quickly. Auto-rotate feels much simpler and elegant, making it a lot more enjoyable to make use of the capture and throw mechanic.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:
LordHypnos wrote: Most of this has been trying to get a video capture of Triggerheart Exelica. I don't know what was going on the other day when I was NMNBing all the way to the stage 3 boss, but last couple times I tried I was not doing that good.
What's your opinion on auto-rotate vs manual rotation (assuming you're playing a console port)? I've tried manual rotation, and I get that it allows additional options on how to use captured ships, but the rotation feels so clunky to get moving manually. I can never seem to figure out how to reliably get a high speed spin going quickly. Auto-rotate feels much simpler and elegant, making it a lot more enjoyable to make use of the capture and throw mechanic.
I use manual. It came pretty natural to me to get a spin going with it, and I found it in general more fun (because you can also hold the enemy in front of you to absorb bullets and other similar things), but it can be pretty frustrating on occasion when I screw up and end up not spinning the enemy and having it behind me. So yeah, I can see the merits of both. Playing 360 port.
1) Create Scoring System
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

LordHypnos wrote:[but it can be pretty frustrating on occasion when I screw up and end up not spinning the enemy and having it behind me.
I think this frustration outweighs the benefits for me, so I've enjoyed it a lot more on auto when I'm not fighting with the game to SPIN DAMN IT.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

I think this frustration outweighs the benefits for me, so I've enjoyed it a lot more on auto when I'm not fighting with the game to SPIN DAMN IT.
Yeah, I figure it varies from person to person. I've gotten used to it to the extent that very few of my deaths are actually caused by this anymore, so that certainly helps. Much more often that I just fail at micrododging some boss attack.

I have heard that manual is pretty essential for scoring though, but I also haven't paid too too much attention to score in the game.
1) Create Scoring System
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

It might be common knowledge among UK-based members, but the "Heart of Gaming" arcade in Croydon has Ketsui and Progear. Only had time for a couple of credits on them today, but it's about ten minutes on the train from where I live, so I'm in hog heaven just knowing they're there. :P
Marc

Post by Marc »

First two Parodius games on SNES. The second actually seems more approachable, the original just loves throwing enemies from the rear and sniping at every given opportunity. The Roulette feature though, what the fuck?
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

No missed up to stage 4 in Tatsujin. Made it to stage 5 with six lives in reserve and lost most of them at the first checkpoint and the rest not long after that. I did a bunch of credit feeding to see more of the stage which was really frustrating in its own way. I don't know if I can do this
pandaphantasm

Post by pandaphantasm »

Somehow managed to 5CC DoDonPachi! I don't like to watch playthroughs/superplays because I'm a stubborn idiot so I had to figure out a lot of stuff on my own, like how to weave through the massive amount of dogshit covering the screen during Stage 5. This is also the reason why I won't be 1CCing it anytime soon. But I did reach my goal, so I'm happy!

So I guess right now I'm looking for another shmup to try to 5CC or 3CC :)
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

mycophobia wrote:No missed up to stage 4 in Tatsujin. Made it to stage 5 with six lives in reserve and lost most of them at the first checkpoint and the rest not long after that. I did a bunch of credit feeding to see more of the stage which was really frustrating in its own way. I don't know if I can do this
Been following your progress from afar, but it seems like it has been pretty steady. Stick with it as long as it isn't frustrating to the point it isn't fun.

If that's where you're at take a few days off and then go back. You can do it.
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

Stevens wrote:
mycophobia wrote:No missed up to stage 4 in Tatsujin. Made it to stage 5 with six lives in reserve and lost most of them at the first checkpoint and the rest not long after that. I did a bunch of credit feeding to see more of the stage which was really frustrating in its own way. I don't know if I can do this
Been following your progress from afar, but it seems like it has been pretty steady. Stick with it as long as it isn't frustrating to the point it isn't fun.

If that's where you're at take a few days off and then go back. You can do it.
thank you for the encouragement. I haven't given up just yet!

The first time I ever made it to the last stage it was with fully powered up blue laser and that cuts through basically everything. I got a good way through the stage on that run, but now when I hit stage 5 it's with a less powered up red weapon, which is less useful in the insanely popcorn-filled late game. Every checkpoint in this game is supposed to be recoverable but man it gets so tough.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Man stupid deaths abound.

Then I hop into training - crank the difficulty to hard, and pick random stages and areas.

I proceed to NMNB 10 - 15 runs before I die. Mind you this was after spending a significant amount of time with UD yesterday.

This is all mental right now.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Still trying to beat Blue Revolver Hyper. Still sucking. I just can't seem to consistently dodge like 50% of the patterns. Also keep dying in the stupidest ways. More practice doesn't seem to be helping at all. I don't know if I'm gonna be able to 1cc ever for some reason even though everyone else seems to find this game to be easy. Maybe I should revive the shmup grievances thread.
1) Create Scoring System
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

No Reflect Giga Wing: got a speedkill strategy on the stage 4 boss that lets me reliably deal with it without bombing. Basically, it's 20 minutes per run of getting through the first 4 stages (trying not to make a dumb early mistake), and once I get to stage 5 with a full bomb stock, that's where the challenge seriously kicks in. Stage 5 is a brutal, insurmountable Everest compared to the bumpy hills before.

I've got a route down that requires 3 bombs: one at the end of the small pyramids where the tanks are before the bomb item, one at the third large pyramid, and one at the very last wave of golden sperm enemies. Occasionally I've made it through with only 2 bombs by not having to use the first one, but it's too unreliable and risky. The stage boss is still brutally hard, as it's a lengthy timeout on an enemy that's very difficult to dodge (safety bombing is risky - if you accidentally destroy both wings it's game over as its attacks are brutal then, and it has too much health to kill quickly without reflect).

Ideally I want to get to stage 6 with 3 bombs stocked. I can get through stage 6 pretty reliably using just one bomb on the cube thing during its spray, though 2 is ideal. Bare minimum for the TLB I need is no deaths, 1 bomb stocked to get through. 2 bombs is ideal though.

I just haven't managed to actually get a successful no-miss run to the TLB in a while. I've been playing stage 5 really aggressively and not bombing to escape when I make a mistake cause I'm desperate to preserve them... I feel close to the clear, but it's so demanding that I haven't been able to manage...
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

LordHypnos wrote:Still trying to beat Blue Revolver Hyper. Still sucking. I just can't seem to consistently dodge like 50% of the patterns. Also keep dying in the stupidest ways. More practice doesn't seem to be helping at all. I don't know if I'm gonna be able to 1cc ever for some reason even though everyone else seems to find this game to be easy. Maybe I should revive the shmup grievances thread.
You're making better progress than me. Hyper is such a pain. I usually end my run by level 3, but sometimes I make it to level 4. Not counting all the ragequits on the second stage.