A new players introduction.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!

Greetings everyone

Shoo, we dont want newbies.
16%
Welcome to the club!
84%

Total votes: 64

Danny

Post by Danny »

If you are getting CCC2 then please for the love of god try Varth. Yeah it's a bit of a long hual and yes there are bombs in the game but it's one of those simple yet engaging shmups that for some reason no matter what your perfrances are, always puts a smile on ya face.

Play Varth on my PSP tate for the first time made me feel like spending all that money on the PSP was well worth it.
Diabollokus

Post by Diabollokus »

G-Darius is technically amazing (for its age) both in terms of gameplay mechanics and visual/audio effects far from Lame but then again thats just my opinion.
Vidi Vici Veni
j^aws

Post by j^aws »

Just wanted to add that if you ever try Stargate on MAT; turn off the default 'auto-thrust' in the options and map the controls like the arcade version with 'manual-thrust'. You get 'finer' control with the Defender ship by mapping 'reverse' to a button... Oh, and 'Invisio' is your friend...
"All that matters really is taste. He might like the game, he might not." - Anonymous
poieo

Post by poieo »

Ghegs wrote:Yes indeed, I do have the ultra-rare Special Version Section Z that gets easier the better you know the game. I've made it to section X on a single credit and the first time I did that I went through stages 4 and (partly) 5 completely with twitch-dodging as I hadn't seen those stages before. So no, there aren't a lot of cheap deaths. The pinball part is probably the only annoying bit, but even that has a safe route to it.
Which you can learn AFTER DYING TO IT. And good thing you lucked your way through two entire stages -- that clearly means that none of the others have cheapshot deaths. Way to prove that Section Z isn't a memorization-heavy game, boy genius.
And of course Side Arms has a short invulnerability period, that wasn't under scrutiny. This doesn't, however, make the game unfair. Recovery is indeed hard, but still possible. If you can't do it, that's your problem, not the game's.
Does this make sense in Finnish? Is this trainwreck of logic due to some grammatical difference? If it's hard to recover purely because the invul time is too short and the screen is flooded with enemies, then yes, dipshit, it is a problem with the game itself.
That's two strikes. Three and you're out.
Suck me. What's the moratorium on using moderator privileges to make up for a complete lack of a solid rebuttal? Pretty sure your batting average isn't much better there.
Pirate1019

Post by Pirate1019 »

Did you get sand in a few tender places or something? Calm down. Internet rage is boring.
"You are the Hero of Tomorrow!"
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

poieo wrote:Dear sir, I hereby submit my application to be banned from this wonderful community.
Request accepted! Take care now, bye bye then.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
dmk1198

Re: A new players introduction.

Post by dmk1198 »

poieo wrote:I keep forgetting that this places heavy empahsis on the retard definition of subjectivity, whereby things can be good or bad not by reasoned argument, but just if you say it is. By that count, you are all unique little flowers, special in your own way. I guess if i follow your logic, Eight Forces is an excellent game!

Whatever, nimrods. Idiots like you are why it's so fucking hard to actually get a handle on what's worth playing and what isn't. Notice you just say "Nuh-uh!" like some petulant child while offering no explanation for why you think the contrary is true. I can be perfectly accepting of an opinion; the catch is that you actually have to grow the fuck up and realize that you need to back yours up with something.

Gun.Smoke is bullshit. Not only is the firing setup a pain (having to repeatedly press two buttons at the same time to fire forward) but the enemy placement is relentless and also has no problems potshotting you at every possible opportunity. In fact, the AI actively jockeys for a position in which they can shoot you in the back. And they do it CONSTANTLY. Add that to fast bullets, limited range for your own bullets, environmental obstacles, and wildly overpowered bosses, and you have one of the most blatantly unfair games ever created.

Section Z is just flat out broken. Even if you get past how buggy it is, you're still left with a game that forces you to continue as soon as you reach the second stage lasers. Every stage after that, you're guaranteed to die from some new "gotcha!" attack from something or other.

None of this is breaking news, kiddies. Capcom's early arcade games are notorious for being hideously unbalanced.

Forgotten Worlds is a pain in the ass to play without the original arcade controls, and is a fine example of "Wow, let's make the player so fucking huge it's impossible to not get hit". Eco Figthers manages to incorporate its 360 degree aiming a bit better, and also doesn't force you to dodge stuff while being the same dimensions as a Pong paddle.

Side Arms is a fine example of Gradius' trademark "breeze through stuff powered up, then lose all your lives within 5 seconds". It allows you to respawn instantly, unlike Gradius, but the invulnerability time is nearly nonexistent and it doesn't clear the screen of enemies. So, you die once, enemies flow onto the screen unrestricted, and the game is completely unrecoverable.

G. Darius' big thing is the capture ball system, which is cumbersome and not all that useful. Darius Gaiden is a basic shot+bomb hori that only gets marks for its fantasticly surreal feel -- strip out Zuntata's music, the weird boss designs, and the Engrish intro/ending and you have nothing. Even with the mood, it's mostly notable for being one of the few Darius games where it's actually possible to powerup.

Gun Frontier, on the other hand, has solid gameplay to go with its unique "space Western" style. You have a decent shot at powerups, and you only lose one level of powerup when you die. It has checkpoints, but because of that powerup mechanic, it's not as brutal as other checkpoint games. It's largely an aimed-shot game, but the hitbox is fairly comfortable in size, so wing grazes don't kill you. It's hectic, but it actually allows you to dodge stuff. It's like a proto-manic shooter.

Vulgus is the one early Capcom game that isn't cheap as fuck. The enemies still come non stop, but there's a certain simplicity to the game. The enemies aren't complicated, but they always head straight for you at just the right speed to keep you moving. The ship sprite is also pretty small and puck-like, so you're not left with this cumbersome giant ship trying to clumsily move everywhere. The difficulty also works out in a strange way in that you can pick up the game and have things moving right from the start the same as it would be a few levels in. It's a great pick-up-and-play game.

Varth has the bomb mechanic that allows you to regenerate bombs you've used, and has shields you can also use in tough spots. It's got useful weapons, secrets all over the place for scoring, and seems to WANT you to be able to get out of tight situations. It's easily comparable to something like Raiden, but still holds its own in unique ways.
I love this post lol

Sent from my Redmi Note 8T using Tapatalk
dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

Ghegs wrote:
poieo wrote:Dear sir, I hereby submit my application to be banned from this wonderful community.
Request accepted! Take care now, bye bye then.
Was Gonna ask if he's still here lol wow he was passionate but salty

Sent from my Redmi Note 8T using Tapatalk
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

thanks for the 13 year old thread necro
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
BIL

Post by BIL »

A warning from history: Gun.Smoke can make scrubs so mad, they think it's a two-button game.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

The NES version was a two button game, but the enemies come out of the sides so often that most of the time you're using the angled shots anyways instead of forward fire.

Also, seeing all the Tapatalk notes forced into posts ensures I will never, ever use Tapatalk.
BIL

Post by BIL »

The other pincer of my crushing rhetorical attack, his corner better throw the towel in, because I'm about to commence fatal brainstem compression. Image *ahem* If the NES one's making you that mad, HOLY FUCKIN SHIT LMAO, U SUCK FUKKIN SHIT Image Image

NES GUNSMOKE RAGE = U. R. SHIIIIIIIIITE (■`W´■)

>;3
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

I like westerns and I like western themed games. That's my jam right there.

Gunsmoke is just a hair too old school for me. R-Type is the earliest shmup that I would say is a bona fide classic and must play, but Gunsmoke definitely punches above its weight relative to its era, and the theming caries it a long way, even if the game looks a little lame.

Definitely losing my retro gamer cred card with this post but whatever.