US Gradius 5 Comp Winners

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Kiken

US Gradius 5 Comp Winners

Post by Kiken »

I was just wondering how many of us from the Shmups Forum ranked in this competition... I know that the following folks all placed:

rob
Postman
Landshark
Warpzone
Alamone
Kiken

Who am I missing?
postman

Post by postman »

1. tviks, but he was disqualified (and on a side note, I read in another forum that says he plays a pal version on a different mhz television, which would slow the game down making it easier.....don't know the technical side of this or if it's true.........)

2. SGNeedle, didn't he post here (or there - old forum) once or twice?

Also, Konami is trying to screw me out of a first place prize, but they haven't heard the last of me yet.......
Rob

Post by Rob »

DarkWolf7 (type-4)
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

postman wrote:1. tviks, but he was disqualified (and on a side note, I read in another forum that says he plays a pal version on a different mhz television, which would slow the game down making it easier.....don't know the technical side of this or if it's true.........)

2. SGNeedle, didn't he post here (or there - old forum) once or twice?

Also, Konami is trying to screw me out of a first place prize, but they haven't heard the last of me yet.......
I knew about tviks, but I also knew that he wasn't a US player, and would therefore be ineligable to win prizes.

Ok, SGNeedle and DarkWolf7. So we're up to 8 out 40 now.

So which Type did Alamone nail his highest score in? Type-1? And what are Konami USA saying about your entry, Postman?
postman

Post by postman »

Konami says I am a 2nd place winner, since Alamone won in the type 2 class. But I went over the rules again, and they clearly state the top two in each class win 1st place (me and Rob). As it is now, Rob is the only 1st place winner in type 2. Needless to say I'm not very happy about it. Ill keep you posted as things develop.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

postman wrote:Konami says I am a 2nd place winner, since Alamone won in the type 2 class. But I went over the rules again, and they clearly state the top two in each class win 1st place (me and Rob). As it is now, Rob is the only 1st place winner in type 2. Needless to say I'm not very happy about it. Ill keep you posted as things develop.
Yeah, but if you read the rules more closely, it also states that there are 7 1st Place prizes, not 8. The top player overall therefore takes up one of the 1st Prize slots.

1 Grand Prize
7 1st Place rizes
32 2nd Place prizes

Otherwise, there would be 1 Grand Prize, 8 1st Place prizes and 31 2nd Place prizes.
landshark

Post by landshark »

I just gotta add that I'm completely happy that they gave me a 2nd place prize for not sending in a video. The crystal would have been f'n sweet. But I'm happy none the less.
Rob

Post by Rob »

2nd prize winners weren't required to supply videos. It already took them a few months to verify 8.
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

I can't even beat 1-2 in Score Attack mode (or any other mode, for that matter) ;_______________; BTW I almost always use Type 3...
How come you guys are so good?!?!
Rob

Post by Rob »

iatneH wrote: How come you guys are so good?!?!
Performance enhancing drugs.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

iatneH wrote:I can't even beat 1-2 in Score Attack mode (or any other mode, for that matter) ;_______________; BTW I almost always use Type 3...
How come you guys are so good?!?!
Practice.

I've been working with Type-3 as well, recently. I managed to make it up to the stage 2-1 boss (I find Type 3 very difficult to use once I hit the loop) in Score Attack. I'm hoping to complete a No Miss First Loop run using Type-3 after I finish my No Miss First Loop Jade Knight replay (with commentary) for Gradius Gaiden.
postman

Post by postman »

Yes, the rules do state 7, but then the rules contradict themselves.

"The Player with the highest overall score from all of the four Option Types is the Grand Prize Winner, the remaining top 2 Ranking Players from each Option Type will be the 1st Prize Winners".

Notice it does not say "unless the grand prize winner happens to be in your weapons class". Why should I get the shaft just because Alamone used type 2? Its bullcrap. I'm fighting it till the end.........
Rob

Post by Rob »

Remaining 2 players from each clearly indicated 8 1st prize winners. Give 'em hell. Their wording sucks.
postman

Post by postman »

BOO YAH! Glad you agree, Rob, I thought maybe I was being an idiot and reading things wrong........

If Konami doesn't respond, I have some net-media insiders that would think this is an interesting story.....I kinda feel this is like biting the hand that feeds me, but then again it's Konami Japan that develops the games, and Konami US has several strikes against us (Gaiden being the first). I just want whats promised me, that's all. I think that's fair.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

postman wrote:BOO YAH! Glad you agree, Rob, I thought maybe I was being an idiot and reading things wrong........

If Konami doesn't respond, I have some net-media insiders that would think this is an interesting story.....I kinda feel this is like biting the hand that feeds me, but then again it's Konami Japan that develops the games, and Konami US has several strikes against us (Gaiden being the first). I just want whats promised me, that's all. I think that's fair.
Postman, are you quoting the website, or the PDF file?

The website really only outlines the basic rules. The PDF file explicitly states exactly how the competition was run, judged and awarded.

Please make sure you read through the PDF carefully before continuing to pursue Konami USA over this.
postman

Post by postman »

Yep, it's the PDF file that I downloaded from the website. I did make sure to go over everything with a fine tooth comb, and still feel that I clearly won a first place prize.

Granted, in the long run, there is nothing I can legally do about it since I signed the paperwork giving Konami the end rights, but that doesn't mean I can accept the fact they cheated me in the end results.
postman

Post by postman »

Just went to the Better Business Bureau about this, let's see how effective they are pleading my case.........
landshark

Post by landshark »

postman wrote:Just went to the Better Business Bureau about this, let's see how effective they are pleading my case.........
Ouch - I'd be worried Konami would stop holding contests if the law gets involved.
MJR

Post by MJR »

Does anyone know anything about european contest?
I hold 15th position; that is, If you erase duplicate scores, and according to rules I guess that should be enough for at least a poster.. but I heard nothing from konami..blaah :cry:
Shearie

Post by Shearie »

I'm one of the second place winners. Sadly the shirt they sent me is 2 sizes too big (it's a large) so if anyone wants it I'm willing to sell it for a low price.
MJR

Post by MJR »

If you are talking about december's results, then it means that I was not good enough even for a poster. Well, I didnt have that much time to play either..
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

I came fifth in the Euro compo at the end of October, and decided not to continue for the other two months for lack of free-time, motivation and interest in a game that takes 2 1/2 hours to get to stage 2-7 in. (Still love the game though.)

I got my poster, and it's sitting nice and framed on my bedroom wall with the letter that came with it. It's not a crystal but meh, I'm happy :)

Congrats to the other competitors in the Euro compy, well done to those who won in the US one. Hope there'll be more of these shmup compos in the near future.
SFKhoa

Post by SFKhoa »

Shearie wrote:I'm one of the second place winners. Sadly the shirt they sent me is 2 sizes too big (it's a large) so if anyone wants it I'm willing to sell it for a low price.
I'm interested.
Aside from that, during the US competition, I didn't even do that well..I was like what? 100th? :P
postman

Post by postman »

Wow, so I file the complain with the BBB on the 2nd of Feb., and they give Konami until the 17th to respond. If not, "further action will be taken". So now that further action is giving them until Feb. 28th. Way to ignore things Konami. Boy, I am not pleased with the US branch of this company. Why even have a US branch to muck things up at all? Just let the Japan branch make the games, translate the games, and distribute the games, then things would go a lot smoother. Further developments in this saga as they unfold............