Ketsui is officially cancelled for the PS2

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Daigohji

Post by Daigohji »

twe wrote:Dammit. I'd still buy it for $60 if it were just the first 4 stages (with two loops), as apparently those were perfect.
Seconded-ish, though I wouldn't pay full price for an incomplete game. At the very least they could release the completed levels through the PS3's download shop. They wouldn't be risking any additional capital on manufacturing costs then, and could make back some of the dev costs they've already sunk into the port.
Dave_K. wrote:How about a good ol'fashon picket line out front demanding they release the imprisoned Ketsui Port!
Kaede

Post by Kaede »

<-----It begins... :lol:

Damn, why the hell did they have to release this information? This is probably my second favourite Cave title after ESPgaluda and I won't be able to afford the board for years yet! :(
Daigohji

Post by Daigohji »

^ ROFL, that's the fastest starting revolution ever. Technical Bonus!
zlk

Post by zlk »

I support the revolution! Release the ps2 port! Release the dvd!
nZero

Post by nZero »

Disappointing news as far as the game is concerned, but heartening that we have a developer in this day and age who feels so strongly about the quality of the finished product.

Funny that first reactions from a lot of people are "don't let the work go to waste, port it to x!"
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

port the cellphone ketsui game to ps3!
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
LUNardei

Post by LUNardei »

I always like to join random revolutions here and there. I'm in :lol:
bVork

Post by bVork »

WE WANT PORT! WE WANT PORT!
bVork it up!
EOJ

Post by EOJ »

Such a 'revolution' or whatever might actually work if, you know, Mihara looked at this site, or gave a rat's ass about Western gamers. Something like that.
bVork

Post by bVork »

Yeah, but its still an entertaining thing to do.
bVork it up!
LUNardei

Post by LUNardei »

Plasmo wrote:port the cellphone ketsui game to ps3!
Uhm, good idea. I'm quite sure this would fit on PS2 as well :P
LUNardei

Post by LUNardei »

twe wrote:Such a 'revolution' or whatever might actually work if, you know, Mihara looked at this site, or gave a rat's ass about Western gamers. Something like that.
Who cares? We just wanted to change avatar after such a long time :lol:
CIT

Post by CIT »

twe wrote:Such a 'revolution' or whatever might actually work if, you know, Mihara looked at this site, or gave a rat's ass about Western gamers. Something like that.

Looks like you forget to have your Funny Flakes for breakfast today!
EOJ

Post by EOJ »

"The port ever" joke got old a long time ago.
Daigohji

Post by Daigohji »

Old memes never die.

mainpatr1

Post by mainpatr1 »

From Ketsui entry on Wikipedia JP(Translated)

the わ る story which it waits in transplantation
The Arika puts out transplantation of this work to topic often, but it has not reached to actualization yet. As the primary factor, the current game machine of that time (Playstation 2 and the like) with complete transplantation was difficult, (with Playstation 2 for the fatal processing falling the development discontinuance) it seems that atrophy of thing and the shooting market is a background.

In addition,when it triesto transplant ケツイ with Playstation 3,also a rumor that flowed,SONY did not permit production, but details obscurity.

ケツイ=Ketsui
EOJ

Post by EOJ »

mainpatr1 wrote: In addition,when it triesto transplant ケツイ with Playstation 3,also a rumor that flowed,SONY did not permit production, but details obscurity.

ケツイ=Ketsui
Right, there is a rumor that Sony didn't give permission for Arika to release a PS3 port of it. Makes sense, I'd bet Sony will ban all 2D shmup ports on the PS3. Developers just have to move over to the X360 then.
zakk

Post by zakk »

twe wrote:
mainpatr1 wrote: In addition,when it triesto transplant ケツイ with Playstation 3,also a rumor that flowed,SONY did not permit production, but details obscurity.

ケツイ=Ketsui
Right, there is a rumor that Sony didn't give permission for Arika to release a PS3 port of it. Makes sense, I'd bet Sony will ban all 2D shmup ports on the PS3. Developers just have to move over to the X360 then.
I consider that rumor to be false. He stated long ago he couldn't get PS3 dev kits. Everyone assumed it was because Sony was being anti-2d. At the time there were other established publishers/developers complaining about not getting dev kits too. While I have no idea what Sony's stance on 2d for the PS3 is; stating this policy is what killed a PS3 Ketsui port is just silly. The dev kits were in short supply at the time; honestly the chances of a dev like Arika getting them then was about zero. Considering the PS3's inability to do the correct low-res modes (or so people keep saying), I'm not sure it would have been the platform of choice anyways.

They need to do a DDP:DOJ PS2 re-release with Black Label to make up for this Ketsui thing ;)
icycalm
Banned User

Post by icycalm »

That blog allows comments.
EOJ

Post by EOJ »

zakk wrote:While I have no idea what Sony's stance on 2d for the PS3 is; stating this policy is what killed a PS3 Ketsui port is just silly.
Not really, when you consider it's Sony we're talking about. I doubt they want to see a 2D, low res non-polygonal arcade shooter from 2002 on their fancy new cutting edge Blu-ray equipped PS3.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

twe wrote:I doubt they want to see a 2D, low res non-polygonal arcade shooter from 2002 on their fancy new cutting edge Blu-ray equipped PS3.
With regular stereo sound output instead of 5.1 Dolby Digital.
Displayed on a non HiDef 25in TV through RGB SCART.
Played with a Sega Saturn-style PS2 joypad using a Lik-Sang distributed adaptor

OH, THE HORROR.
Valgar

Post by Valgar »

You know what I haven't had in a while? Big League Chew.
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.
COWBOY-RJJ
KBZ

Post by KBZ »

such a tough situation. I guess maybe their only likely port would be to pc, and that probably wont happen.

As for dc, I'm not so sure if that would work out. I'm not sure about the ps2 but the dc wasn't exactly a 2d powerhouse either. It might have just as much luck on dc as ps2.

If you guys want to start some sort of mini campaign for a port I'd be all down for supporting it, but what would the message be?

Release what you got? Port to something else? Just give us anything and we'll be happy?
=/
Dandy J

Post by Dandy J »

gyus please to be telling doing this right>?
EOJ

Post by EOJ »

Dandy J wrote:gyus please to be telling doing this right>?
Try composing a post with your brain instead of crapping one out of your ass.
PsikyoPshumpPshooterP

Post by PsikyoPshumpPshooterP »

this thread is so depressing :cry:
The cave whore count in this thread is unbelievable!!!
ReKleSS

Post by ReKleSS »

Mihara has posted a more detailed description: http://mihara.sub.jp/top/blog/sb203/log/eid803.html

Going from the excite translation, it sounds like the problem is frame dropping due to having too much to process, and also having to stream data from the disc, which he doesn't want to do.

He also mentions ports to other consoles, saying it's technically possible, but releasing shmups on next-gen consoles may be difficult.

If someone would go over it and provide a more accurate translation....
弾もまたいで通る
nZero

Post by nZero »

Kingbuzzo wrote:such a tough situation. I guess maybe their only likely port would be to pc, and that probably wont happen.
Resolution issue comes up again. Gotta come up with an exact full-screen low-resolution mode that works under Windows 2K/XP/Vista with a large majority of graphiccards.
Kingbuzzo wrote:As for dc, I'm not so sure if that would work out. I'm not sure about the ps2 but the dc wasn't exactly a 2d powerhouse either. It might have just as much luck on dc as ps2.
Well, the extra VRAM and the deferred rendering may help if that's where the bottleneck actually is, but... it still seems like a ridiculously implausible course of action. Especially if the rumor about discontinuing GD-ROM pressing is true. Has Arika even done any previous Dreamcast development?
EOJ

Post by EOJ »

ReKleSS wrote:If someone would go over it and provide a more accurate translation....
Here is a basic translation of most of the main stuff (but it's not a complete translation):

"There are two main points I think of when porting arcade games, and in particular arcade shooting games. These are the "reproduction of the processing", and the "reproduction of the image quality".

---a lot of talk about reasons for slowdown in ports---

Then...

"The reason for the problem with Ketsui lies in the PS2's RAM. There is not enough RAM to process the loading of the characters (in level 5). We cannot freely access the ROM like in the PCB, so we have to stream data like in a DVD movie. When you reach the "tate-ana" there is not slowdown but rather the frames stop loading. This creates a terrible situation due to PS2 hardware. Unlike DDPDOJ and Espgaluda, stage 5 in Ketsui is extravagent. So, this causes both the "reproduction of processing" and the "reproduction of image quality" to be eroded.

People ask if we could port shooting games to the PS3, X360, or Wii, and the answer is YES. However, because releasing shooting games on these hardware systems is exceedingly difficult, naturally we cannot take steps to do that."

=THE END OF CONSOLE SHMUP PORTS??
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

twe wrote:There is not enough RAM to process the loading of the characters (in level 5).
By "characters" does he mean a combination of all the graphical elements (BG, planes, bullets, etc.) or something more specific? Or is it hard to tell for sure?