Best Arcade only PCBs

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
M0nk3y

Best Arcade only PCBs

Post by M0nk3y »

Hello all.

Just wondering what you guys would rate as the best shmup PCBs that have never had a home conversion?

I'm thinking about building another Jamma rig (supergun) just for using PCBs, however I'm only interested in games that never got converted to Saturn, PCE, DC or MD/MCD. And I have a consolised MV-1C Neo. Unless the only home versions really are shite compared to the PCB....

But I'm really only interested in games that came as PCBs. I'd love to get Progear, but that means a CPS2, which means another system, which means I'd be tempted by 19XX, Giga Wing & Mars Matrix, all leading to me consolising the system and getting a beating from the missus. Know what I mean? Unless there's a Progear PCB, but I don't think so....

And what sort of prices am I looking at?

Cool, cheers dudes
PC Engine Fan X!

Here's a short list of arcade PCBs with no console ports...

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Armed Police Batrider -- 1998 8ing/Raizing (prices range from $100.00 to $225.00 depending on whether or not you buy a complete kit...anything less than a complete kit, generally the price will be cheaper.)

ESPrade -- 1998 Cave/Altus (price range for ESP.ra.de PCB generally varies from $200.00 to $240.00 and depends on whether you get a full kit or not, especially if you are buying original factory PCB kit...then you will end up paying a premium for it but well worth the $$$ spent alone. Just paying $200.00+ easily for a bare-bones ESP.ra.de PCB is the norm these days.)

Tenkomori Variety Shooting -- 1998 Namco (I've seem this Namco produced shmup PCB on eBay twice but usually sells for about $200.00 to $250.00 by itself.)

Ketsui -- 2003 Cave/Atlus (No known console or emulation port of Ketsui exists to this present day. Expect to pay $300.00+ just for a bare-bones Ketsui PCB and pay even more for a original complete Cave factory Ketsui PCB kit in the neighborhood of $450.00 or more!)

There are a few other shmup arcade PCBs that didn't get a console or MAME ROM release.....

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
dboeren

Post by dboeren »

Besides those I'd add:

Guwange
Dimahoo / Great Mahou Daisakusen
Cyvern
Currently playing: Gunbird 2 PCB
landshark

Post by landshark »

Dimahoo
Strikers 1999
system11

Post by system11 »

Vasara 2
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
raiden

Post by raiden »

Raiden Fighters series
yojo!

Post by yojo! »

-Raizing : Sorcerer Striker / Dimahoo
-namco : Nebula Ray
-Toaplan : Vimana, Outzone, Truxton II, Air Gallet (former Toaplan guys)
-Mitchell : Osman, Double Wing
-Konami : Xexex, Thunder Cross
-Data East: Boogie Wing,
-Irem: Lethal Thunder, Rtype Leo, Air Duel
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

Osman/Cannon Dancer isn't a shmup...

Anyway, I'll go with Batrider. Wish I'd get the chance to play Ketsui though.
adam76

Post by adam76 »

I havent really played any of the more 'recent' arcade shooters as we havent had a decent arcade near us for some years so i guess mine seem a little retro but i used to love Prehistoric Isle and Carrier Airwing.
"What the hell kind of a two-bit operation are they running out of this treehouse, Cooper? I have seen some slip-shod, backwater burgs, but this place takes the cake."
GaijinPunch

Post by GaijinPunch »

V-V and Dogyuun are great, although I'm tempted to ditch my boards. V-V has a port, but it's imperfect. Dogyuun is not ported, and Mame support lacks sound.
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

GaijinPunch wrote:V-V and Dogyuun are great, although I'm tempted to ditch my boards. V-V has a port, but it's imperfect. Dogyuun is not ported, and Mame support lacks sound.
The slowdown in the Genesis V-V bites.

My suggestions?

* Grid Seeker: Project Stormhammer - You use the GRID weapon system that goes around your plane/helicopter to neutralize bullets and create bombs.

* Ketsui - Seconded.

As for Giga Wing and Mars Matrix- go for the DC ports first. Hell, these two games are solid justifications for purchasing a DC- and you can also get Border Down.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
Brian

Post by Brian »

I thought Air Gallet was Banpresto not Toaplan?
yojo!

Post by yojo! »

Brian wrote:I thought Air Gallet was Banpresto not Toaplan?
Actually Air Gallet is from Gazelle, (ex-toaplan Member)
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

Banpresto just published the game, like how it published Batsugun and Toaplan Shooting Battle for the Saturn. Seems they were interested in all things Toaplan.
captain ahar

Re: Here's a short list of arcade PCBs with no console ports

Post by captain ahar »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:Tenkomori Variety Shooting -- 1998 Namco (I've seem this Namco produced shmup PCB on eBay twice but usually sells for about $200.00 to $250.00 by itself.)
Anyone have any info on this? It looks insane.

*looking at filed pictures on system16.com under Namco-System 12* (beware of pop-ups)
I have no sig whatsoever.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

captain ahar wrote:
PC Engine Fan X! wrote:Tenkomori Variety Shooting -- 1998 Namco (I've seem this Namco produced shmup PCB on eBay twice but usually sells for about $200.00 to $250.00 by itself.)
http://www.namco.co.jp/aa/am/vg/tenkomo ... index.html
http://www.namco.co.jp/aa/am/vg/tenkomo ... igame.html
tehkao

Post by tehkao »

CYVERN CYVER CYVERN CYVERN CYVERN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
llaoyllakcuf

Post by llaoyllakcuf »

Battle Bakraid
Daioh
GunNail
Nostradamus
etc..
yojo! wrote:Truxton II
A port exists, on the extra-obscure Fujitsu FM Towns Marty. (by VING)
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

Progear, RF II and Battle Bakraid.
GaijinPunch

Post by GaijinPunch »

yojo! wrote:port exists, on the extra-obscure Fujitsu FM Towns Marty. (by VING)
Video of that obscure port. ;)
Raidenfighter Kirkov

Post by Raidenfighter Kirkov »

captain ahar wrote:

*looking at filed pictures on system16.com under Namco-System 12* (beware of pop-ups)
Hi !

I have the pcb.
What do you want to know ?

I have played the pcb only a couple of times...its more like a "Point Blank" for the lightgun genre => many funny mini games.

And i think its only funny if you play against a human player.

Maybe i can make a short video.

Greetings
RFK

BTW: Arcade only games...hmmm....there are too much...but what about Nebulas Ray or Ultra X Weapon :D
sven666

Post by sven666 »

hmm id love to pull something really obscure and mega-rear out of my ass.. but.. to tell the truth, best shmup and best game i ever played is Batrider.

i also really like Cybattler , its actionpacked and imo feel alot like Donpachi graphics and gameplaywise...
Stefan_L

Post by Stefan_L »

i agree with Sven666... Cybattler is a very cool game that is for arcade only.
segasonicfan

Post by segasonicfan »

This thread is fantastic so I'm bumping it. Found out about a lot of great shmup PCBs I didn't know existed!

I second Daioh especially, that game is great. Cybattler is very decent too and all the Cave stuff is phenominal of course.

As far as unheardof gems go, I'd recommend Ajax and R-Shark if you're into Toaplan-ish stuff. I have both PCB's and I love em :)

-Segasonicfan
Brian

Post by Brian »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:
Tenkomori Variety Shooting -- 1998 Namco (I've seem this Namco produced shmup PCB on eBay twice but usually sells for about $200.00 to $250.00 by itself.)
I actually got this not too long ago for about $149 from a Japanese seller. It is a pretty cool mini game shooter, defintely worth the $149, but I doubt I would go as high as $250 for it.
llaoyllakcuf

Post by llaoyllakcuf »

segasonicfan wrote:As far as unheardof gems go, I'd recommend Ajax and R-Shark if you're into Toaplan-ish stuff.
just to note, Ajax was ported to the X68000 computer.

adding to my list: Black Heart, G-Stream G2020, Ryu Jin
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Brian wrote:
PC Engine Fan X! wrote:
I actually got this not too long ago for about $149 from a Japanese seller. It is a pretty cool mini game shooter, defintely worth the $149, but I doubt I would go as high as $250 for it.
For Brian,

I've seen two bare-bones Tenkomori Shooting PCBs sell for about $250.00 USD on eBay a few years back. It's the ultra rare USA Bios version of Tenkomori Variety Shooting PCB with all English language that I've personally only seen/played at the once-a-year California Extreme show. It's made appearances at the 2002, 2004, 2005 & this year's 2006 CAX show.

I wonder how many Namco produced USA Bios Tenkomori Variety Shooting PCBs were actually made? ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

My list:

-The Raiden Fighters series
-Viper Phase 1
-Progear
-Battle Bakraid
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0
undamned

Post by undamned »

ESP Ra.De. - $150-$200
Batrider - $100-$150
Guwange - $200-$300
Strikers 1999 - $100-$150
Outzone - $100-$150
-ud
Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love
iatneH

Re: Best Arcade only PCBs

Post by iatneH »

M0nk3y wrote:But I'm really only interested in games that came as PCBs. I'd love to get Progear, but that means a CPS2, which means another system, ... and getting a beating from the missus.
FYI, CPS-2 motherboards are dirt cheap, like $25-$35 each. You could afford to have a motherboard for every CPS-2 game you own.