What happened to that one Dreamcast shooter??

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
DantesInferno

What happened to that one Dreamcast shooter??

Post by DantesInferno »

All I remember is that I think it was being developed somewhere in Europe, and the cover looked like Ikaruga..and the screens looked like Raiden. Anyone remember?
Neon

Post by Neon »

karugamo.

dunno, looks like it'll suck though, just a cash-in on dc shmups fans.
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

Neon wrote:karugamo.

dunno, looks like it'll suck though, just a cash-in on dc shmups fans.
Cash in? On Dreamcast shmup fans?
Oh yea, I'm sure they'd put Microsoft outa business with that shit right then and there!

Sorry, but I see it hard to believe that the words "Cash In", "Dreamcast" and "Shmups" should even remotely go together at all.

When one thinks of "cashing in", it sure the heck ain't Dreamcast...let alone an "obscure" old "Galaga Game" type shmup.
A dead genre meets a dead console...yea! I can see the $$$$$$$$$$$ ROLLING in as we speak! I'm "Rich" with laughter!!!

Sorry, I 'm being WAY sarcastic, but yet only to put you in your place...you don't (or wont) be able to ever see this game, yet you dismiss it as shit anyway?
postman

Post by postman »

http://www.project-firestorm.com/

Here's the website. The game already had a PC doujin release.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Hmm...they list the game as "freezed," so I'd guess that means they're not working on it atm...offhand, am I the only one who's thinking that they pilfered the diamond-shaped items from Chaos Field?
Acid King

Post by Acid King »

BulletMagnet wrote:Hmm...they list the game as "freezed," so I'd guess that means they're not working on it atm...offhand, am I the only one who's thinking that they pilfered the diamond-shaped items from Chaos Field?
The items in chaos field looked like they were ripped from Zero Gunner 2.
Feedback will set you free.
captpain wrote:Basically, the reason people don't like Bakraid is because they are fat and dumb
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Heh, I haven't played ZG2, so I wouldn't know.
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

postman wrote:http://www.project-firestorm.com/

Here's the website. The game already had a PC doujin release.
I saw those screenshots. The game looks like it could be on the SNES. I'm sure if it were though, it would probably have a lot of slowdown!
I really hate that perspective...squashed screen to the left with an ugly boarder/stats/score to the right. Just like the Genesis FireShark port. They may as well just cut the screen in half!
Either make it a true vert, or a "Horzy-vert"; like GigaWing.
Or better yet, just release it for the PC-Engine CD-Rom!
Neon

Post by Neon »

Sorry, I 'm being WAY sarcastic, but yet only to put you in your place...you don't (or wont) be able to ever see this game, yet you dismiss it as shit anyway?
You know what I mean dude, actually see n00b's post in the other topic.

I'll try it if there's a free pc demo, I just doubt it will be great shakes.
TVG

Post by TVG »

i tried the PC demo once and it sucks major ass.
Sundance

Post by Sundance »

Acid King wrote:
BulletMagnet wrote:Hmm...they list the game as "freezed," so I'd guess that means they're not working on it atm...offhand, am I the only one who's thinking that they pilfered the diamond-shaped items from Chaos Field?
Chaos Fields seems to pull from 4 or 5 other shooters, but the collaboration of ideas together make it a unique shooter none the less.
"ooh, ahh, thats how all this starts, but then theres running and screaming" -LW:Jurrassic Park-
Acid King

Post by Acid King »

Sundance wrote:
Acid King wrote:
Chaos Fields seems to pull from 4 or 5 other shooters, but the collaboration of ideas together make it a unique shooter none the less.
What's funny is that a guy who works at a local import store saw the sword and dismissed the game as a knock off of Radiant Silvergun when that's about all they have in common.
captpain wrote:Basically, the reason people don't like Bakraid is because they are fat and dumb
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Acid King wrote:What's funny is that a guy who works at a local import store saw the sword and dismissed the game as a knock off of Radiant Silvergun when that's about all they have in common.
Heh, is there really even such a thing as an RSG ripoff? Aside from an element or two here or there, not many, if any, shmups that I can think of have tried to be very much like RSG, at least off the top of my head...
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

BulletMagnet wrote:
Acid King wrote:What's funny is that a guy who works at a local import store saw the sword and dismissed the game as a knock off of Radiant Silvergun when that's about all they have in common.
Heh, is there really even such a thing as an RSG ripoff? Aside from an element or two here or there, not many, if any, shmups that I can think of have tried to be very much like RSG, at least off the top of my head...
THANK GOODNESS!!!
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

*tries to put the lid back on the can of worms he just unintentionally opened* :shock:
TVG

Post by TVG »

haha.

back on kuragemo, my impressions from the pc demo is that it ripped gameplay elements and sprites from a lot of games (mostly MM tough) and packed them into a giant pile of shit.

i played it 5 minutes but i just couldnt take any more.

but maybe the console ports are different...
Neon

Post by Neon »

THANK GOODNESS!!!
Hey twitch, why do you still have it if you don't like it? Not that I'd disagree, she's over-rated.
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

I still have it because part of me is a collector as well.
I don't really care much for Treasures games. They usually are too "quirky" for me to get into. I never saw what was so special about the "Mirage" game, let alone Bangai-o. Bangai-o reminds me of that old game Boulderdash!!!
I think the only ones I actually really like are Alien Soldier and Gunstar Heroes.

Put it this way...I DESPISE chaining!!!
Any shmup that requires you to "chain" color wise (at least for score) bores me, as I like to try and shoot everything down old school style.
I may still play em, but thats usually once or twice a year...or whenever I'm in a really weird mood...meaning in a different mindset.. Most of the time I'm feeling like Strikers 1945 or DoDonPachi, or GigaWing. Either that or some old cool horizontal like Pulstar or Blazing Star.
Andi

Post by Andi »

TWITCHDOCTOR wrote:Put it this way...I DESPISE chaining!!!
Any shmup that requires you to "chain" color wise (at least for score) bores me, as I like to try and shoot everything down old school style.
I recently got access to a Gamecube and Ikaruga (I'm WAY behind the times) and I'm incapable of giving a shit about chaining. It seems sort of cool, but there is enough fun to be had just trying to stay alive that I don't feel like it is necessary.
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

Well, it is very much necessary to chain. You see, thats how you score points (well more points =points grant extra lives) I'f your playing for a 1CC you'll have to be perfect and never die. If you chain, its at least possible to earn a few extra ships.
I just wish you could score BIG points by destroying all enemies. Well, your supposed to, but lets face it, its hard to chain and kill everything!
Which is why I consider it to be a "Puzzle game thats disguised as a shmup".

I may as well play a CAVE cell phone shmup while playing "Red Light/Green Light" with a bunch of kids in the playground than play "Ick"-a ruga.
Andi

Post by Andi »

TWITCHDOCTOR wrote:Well, it is very much necessary to chain. You see, thats how you score points (well more points =points grant extra lives) I'f your playing for a 1CC you'll have to be perfect and never die. If you chain, its at least possible to earn a few extra ships.
I just wish you could score BIG points by destroying all enemies. Well, your supposed to, but lets face it, its hard to chain and kill everything!

I may as well play a CAVE cell phone shmup while playing "Red Light/Green Light" with a bunch of kids in the playground than play "Ick"-a ruga.
A very valid point. Although, the way I am playing it right now, if I ever beat it, it is going to be a 1 life clear (I over-practice every part until I am sure I can breeze through it with no hitch).

However, you are right, the lack of flexibility makes Ikaruga more of a puzzle game than a shooter and that aspect of it has annoyed the shit out of me a lot while I've been playing it.

I'm not one for scoring gimmicks other than kill more for more points, so, I tend to not like a lot of games.
Acid King

Post by Acid King »

TWITCHDOCTOR wrote:Well, it is very much necessary to chain. You see, thats how you score points (well more points =points grant extra lives) I'f your playing for a 1CC you'll have to be perfect and never die. If you chain, its at least possible to earn a few extra ships.

If you chain well and properly, you will kill most everything on screen. Ikaruga is actually a lot easier to play when you just ignore the chaining. The chaining is where a good deal of the difficulty comes in. I know that when I play it, most of my deaths are because i'm trying to squeeze in as many chains as possible. Even if you don't score extra lives, it doesn't matter because ignoring the chains drops the difficulty.

As for Radiant Silvergun, I played that game for close to two years before I even started to bother with the chaining, though the chaining in that game is a lot more flexible than Ikaruga. Either way, they're both like every other shooter, fixed enemy patterns and bullet sprays and memorization and finding the best path is the key to surviving. In that regard, all shooters are just puzzle games then.... but whatever, to each his own.
Super Laydock

Post by Super Laydock »

I agree with you all the way here! And though I like lots of puzzzle games, I'd rather skip this one... Sold my DC copy lately

Barroom hero!
Bathroom hero!
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

Okay in this thread you said
TWITCHDOCTOR wrote:Well, it is very much necessary to chain. You see, thats how you score points (well more points =points grant extra lives)
but in that other thread you said
TWITCHDOCTOR wrote:Ikaruga can be played many,many ways. Its not cheap. Just remember that you can always go back to it and try playing with different strategies.
?