shmups forum - what exactly have we got here then

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Reiki

Post by Reiki »

Ghegs wrote:Well, we're still re-building the community, I think. Not all of the regulars have joined the new forums yet and the empty Strategy and High-score sections contribute to that feeling as well. Once we get back into groove it'll be like before, for the most part.
After all this downtime and temp forum business it feels like some of the life has been sucked away, not because the forums are missing some sections or members. Not saying it won't improve though.
chtimi-CLA

Post by chtimi-CLA »

good work, the background is nice too.
that's really too bad about the loss of threads though, all those strat and hi-score posts, gone.
i only saved my dangun hi-score table :cry:

edit: will donate when my paypal account works again
Guardians Knight

Post by Guardians Knight »

nice one mate, great job. I'll donate some funds at some point just to do me bit.

big shame about the lost information. But surely all the reviews should be ok?
DEL

Donation

Post by DEL »

Malc - if i can Donate by Postal Order? - that would be easiest for me.

DEL
Gozer

Post by Gozer »

It's good to have the forums back.
dbd

re:

Post by dbd »

In full agreement, good to see the fourms back.

This could also be redundant, but - anyone tried the archiver to get at the posts at the old forum?

http://www.archive.org

( use the 'take me back' button )
JigsawMan

Post by JigsawMan »

Gozer wrote:It's good to have the forums back.
Yeah! Nice to have a central place for everyone to post. Although there are a few other good shmup boards, none get quite the traffic that this one does.
Skyknight

You didn't LOSE the backups, did you?

Post by Skyknight »

My main concern is that (taking-on-a-life-of-its-own) G-Darius story mode I was cooking up. The situation isn't that serious, since most of it is on an Appleworks file on my computer. The exception is where Our Heroes first confront Absolute Defender...

(Tar-Palantir? Specineff? R-Gray1? Did any of you save it before the final forum blink?)
Dylan1CC

Re: You didn't LOSE the backups, did you?

Post by Dylan1CC »

Skyknight wrote:My main concern is that (taking-on-a-life-of-its-own) G-Darius story mode I was cooking up.
Do they ever figure out how to make peace with the aliens in your story?! Because that's one thing I have always obsessed about with the Darius series: "WHY couldn't they make peace with the aliens?" WHAT is the story behind the planet?!" lol

Sorry Storm, I dunno anything about your project. For those who don't know, this an olllld inside joke about a crazy person who used to ask stuff like this allll the time about 5 years ago on the old spam forum. This guy seemed to literally think the Darius series had some sort of secret backstory with complexity rivaling that of Star Wars, Trek and Babylon 5 and was always trying to start lengthy nerd discussions about Darius' "story." :lol: Unfortunately Grant ticked him off really bad and then he turned into Rommel and terrorized us for awhile. But at least I can heal my war wounds with laughter.
Thunder Force
Location: research and development facility for Vasteel Technology.

Re: re:

Post by Thunder Force »

dbd wrote:This could also be redundant, but - anyone tried the archiver to get at the posts at the old forum?

http://www.archive.org

( use the 'take me back' button )
That doesn't seem to work when I tried it a few days ago. It could be because Gamespy specifically put the following on the hosting server
Dynamic5 Gamespy wrote:User-agent: * # applies to all robots
Disallow: / # disallow indexing of all pages
uwfan

Post by uwfan »

ive just realized i have a bunch of old threads [including a few strategy threads] saved to my hard drive, can i "upload" them somehow?
system11

Post by system11 »

All you could do is repost them, as one big posting, unfortunately.
straight

Post by straight »

Just want to add my thanks for bringing back the forums.
Melf

Post by Melf »

Yay! The forums ar back! :D
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

melf, that's a hideously oversized image in your sig there. You might want to change it to a much smaller one or remove it completely.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Nate

Post by Nate »

Make that 1 more for the cause comin' from my camp, ol' buddy!

This forum has been nothing but beneficial to me the last 7 or 8 years I've been coming around...
Melf

Post by Melf »

Fixed. I'm not used to the stict avatar/sig requirements yet and I haven't been able to make a decent banner at the tiny 200 x 50 size. :(
system11

Post by system11 »

I'd rather see banners disabled altogether. Forums are ruined by them.
chtimi-CLA

Post by chtimi-CLA »

i had completely forgotten to donate to support the forum (not to mention new members), maybe you should put the paypal info in a sticky thread or something.
fenrirwolf

Post by fenrirwolf »

Yaaaah! I had very nearly given up on these forums -- imagine my disappointment to find out that Gamespy had dropped 'em. But I'm certainly glad to see 'em back!