Milestone release 'Karous' - Arcade 2006 / Dreamcast 2007

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

The theme itself is very interesting so far. Nice change up in atmosphere from Radilgy's bubbly cel shaded visuals.
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTusZtbNK0w

AMS06 video showing six minutes of game footage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl4JfiSkj_U&NR

AMS06 video (denoted EASY MODE, where almost every bullet is destructable, ala MUSHA. Difficulty settings selectable at start?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vufCE9vyxEU

AMS06 video showing the players on both cabs and a little party of 3 (4?) watching.
so long and tanks for all the spacefish
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
<Megalixir> i'm stuck in a hobby with gays
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Looks like my type of shooter. :D

Would be criminal if it didn't get a DC release
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Twiddle wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTusZtbNK0w

AMS06 video showing six minutes of game footage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl4JfiSkj_U&NR

AMS06 video (denoted EASY MODE, where almost every bullet is destructable, ala MUSHA. Difficulty settings selectable at start?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vufCE9vyxEU

AMS06 video showing the players on both cabs and a little party of 3 (4?) watching.
The game has already undergone some changes since the LokeTest version:

The Karous shield no longer ends by exploding into flashing red & white birds. In fact, the primary portion of the attack has been changed from flashing to a large circular glyph.

The life-meter and weapon meters have been moved around and restructured slightly.

The sword weapon has a double-sweep (swings left then right).
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Kiken wrote:The sword weapon has a double-sweep (swings left then right).
One thing I (think I) noticed in the video was that, like in Radirgy, you can fire your gun and swing your sword at the same time, but in this game it seems that when you do both the sword only has a single swing, like in Radirgy: when you stop shooting and use the sword only, you can do the double swing. I think I saw that displayed in one of those videos someplace...I wonder what else will turn out different from Radirgy in the end...
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

From another thread:
Dann wrote:The new Milestone game, Karous, just had a major overhaul on their website.
(Japanese)
http://www.mile-stone.co.jp/product/krs/krs_top.html

Pretty slick site and but not much info yet. Looks promising though.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
RoninBuddha

Post by RoninBuddha »

i found this on Youtube. sorry if someone else posted it already

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l93PZohGlgI

it's an offical (?) CM/Promo video.
KY
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Insert Credit directed me to this new 30-second video, which demonstrates some of the gameplay features. Here's their take on it...

The video shows base and powered versions of: standard shot, sword attack, shield, which interestingly seems to be a projectile itself, should you so desire, and D.F.S., which seems to essentially be a localized 'bomb'-like attack. Other information we can glean from this is that shot, sword and shield can be upgraded individually, and may have their own multipliers (that's pure speculation, there, but the video makes me think). Also the game uses a whole lot of grey. Interesting so far.

The thing that (unfortunately) immediately caught my attention was the inexplicable use of gray bullets over a gray background...I REALLY hope they fix that...
JJG

Post by JJG »

It's not looking too pretty but it could be fun.
Pirate1019

Post by Pirate1019 »

JJG wrote:It's not looking too pretty but it could be fun.
Really? I think the art style is really interesting. Definately not a powerhouse, but it looks nice.
"You are the Hero of Tomorrow!"
JJG

Post by JJG »

Seems pretty much like the cell shading we already saw in Radirgy except less colorful.
Pirate1019

Post by Pirate1019 »

Well, I haven't seen radirgy yet (no DC) so it's all new to me.

Kind of curious about the sword thing. The last game I played by milestone with a sword was terrible (Chaos Field, for the slow).
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

BulletMagnet wrote:Insert Credit directed me to this new 30-second video, which demonstrates some of the gameplay features. Here's their take on it...

The video shows base and powered versions of: standard shot, sword attack, shield, which interestingly seems to be a projectile itself, should you so desire, and D.F.S., which seems to essentially be a localized 'bomb'-like attack. Other information we can glean from this is that shot, sword and shield can be upgraded individually, and may have their own multipliers (that's pure speculation, there, but the video makes me think). Also the game uses a whole lot of grey. Interesting so far.

The thing that (unfortunately) immediately caught my attention was the inexplicable use of gray bullets over a gray background...I REALLY hope they fix that...
Once again, the game has undergone some heavy alteration from the prior revision.

The reflect force-esque barrier now looks like a brain (it was a circular emblem in the last revision). The third strike from the sword attack now swings the character around. The status bars at the left edge of the screen seem to have changed style once again.

You know... it'd actually be kinda cool if they put in an option to change the look of the game back to the earlier revisions.. in a homeport that is. I guess it would be sort of like how Treasure included Prototype Mode in Ikaruga.
Never_Scurred

Post by Never_Scurred »

I so hope they release this for the PS2 even if they don't include an option to play the earier revision of the game. They could make that a limited edition or something. I like the art design but I wish they'd man it up a bit. You know, make it less cartoony. Any word on the soundtrack?
Stormwatch

Post by Stormwatch »

RoninBuddha wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l93PZohGlgI

Hey, is it just me, or there are really a "japanese" and an "american" styles to put game trailers together? :P Really, I get this feeling that japanese trailers always have super-fast editing and soft electronica, whereas american ones go for slow motion shots with swirling cameras and a dramatic orchestral soundtrack.
Never_Scurred

Post by Never_Scurred »

Stormwatch wrote:
RoninBuddha wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l93PZohGlgI

Hey, is it just me, or there are really a "japanese" and an "american" styles to put game trailers together? :P Really, I get this feeling that japanese trailers always have super-fast editing and soft electronica, whereas american ones go for slow motion shots with swirling cameras and a dramatic orchestral soundtrack.
What about trailers for any FF game or any other japanese RPG?
Monkey_Man

Post by Monkey_Man »

What's everyone's beef with Radilgy anyway?
Pirate1019

Post by Pirate1019 »

Monkey_Man wrote:What's everyone's beef with Radilgy anyway?
I hear no beef. :)
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

No beef with Radirgy, but it's more that this game is too much like it, only adding a couple extra weapon functions and removing a lot of depth from the scoring system.

Least the game will be a lot harder this time.
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
Frederik

Post by Frederik »

The grey bullets in that trailer perfectly blend with the equally grey backgrounds. I don`t like Radirgys graphical style too much to begin with, but taking the cel-shaded comic-style look and draining the colour out of it is a bad idea IMHO. I mean, those bullets look (Garegga-style complaining ahead!) nearly invisible.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

So this was released yesterday...
Anybody in Japan given it a try... or is everyone still transfixed to Mushi Futari?
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

http://www.mile-stone.co.jp/product/krs ... ory01.html

Story page up...can someone translate?
unban shw
KBZ

Post by KBZ »

something about...an enemy, that they have to.... shoot(?)
=/
NTSC-J

Post by NTSC-J »

Kiken wrote:So this was released yesterday...
Anybody in Japan given it a try... or is everyone still transfixed to Mushi Futari?
You pretty much answered your own question.

I did watch a few people play it and couldn't understand wtf was going on...it looked like every bullet could be "blocked" or something. There were lots of numbers and stats and things running at all times, made my eyes kind of glaze over with disinterest.

Other players seemed curious about the game, but it didn't seem like anyone was warming up to it much. Not sure how Radirgy faired though. Exelica however, while not by Milestone, seems to be in the same vein as the aforementioned (the high-res-yet-ugly, score-system-heavy, non-Cave-shooter genre) and is very popular.

In short, Crows looked too intimidating for me to risk 100 yen. I'd like to see some players that understand it take a crack at it.
eretsua

Post by eretsua »

guess Milsestone released Karous at a bit of a shitty moment with mushi demanding so much attention? i do hope that the game will get sufficient attention in the arcades, i would hate to see Milestone to go under / missout on a home port. judging by the videos i've seen i don't think the game is ugly and looking forward to playing it.
warning: a huge warning sign is approaching fast!
http://community.livejournal.com/the_dump_ever/profile/
chtimi-CLA

Post by chtimi-CLA »

NTSC-J wrote:Exelica however, while not by Milestone, seems to be in the same vein as the aforementioned (the high-res-yet-ugly, score-system-heavy, non-Cave-shooter genre) and is very popular.
exelica is popular? surprising.
SuperGrafx

Post by SuperGrafx »

NTSC-J wrote:
In short, Crows looked too intimidating for me to risk 100 yen. I'd like to see some players that understand it take a crack at it.
I'm a little surprised that you didn't spend the 100 yen just for the sake of giving the game a try.
Is it that bad from your initial impressions?
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

chtimi-CLA wrote:exelica is popular? surprising.
Anime girls in techno-leotards make the world go round.

Though I do want to try the game and see how tossing enemies at each other works if it ever gets ported anywhere.
PPA

Post by PPA »

SuperGrafx wrote:
NTSC-J wrote:
I'm a little surprised that you didn't spend the 100 yen just for the sake of giving the game a try.
Is it that bad from your initial impressions?
im surprised as well...you were there!

I guess you hadnt the time to give it a try.....

:?:
Kaede

Post by Kaede »

Icycalm has played it, I'm surprised he hasn't posted his impressions here yet. Maybe he's too busy.

The gameplay vids are dissapointing. It still has the Radilgy look of a web based Flash game, only this time with all the colour sucked out. The gameplay appears nigh on identical to Radilgy too which might please some people but in the unlikely event of a home port I won't be picking it up.