Milestone release 'Karous' - Arcade 2006 / Dreamcast 2007

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

eretsua wrote:
BulletMagnet wrote:
(VGMWorld.com is the exclusive distributor of this item for overseas customers.)

Does this mean that P-A (and anyplace else, for that matter) won't be selling this?
no, don't think so. VGM is also the exclusive distributor of Insanity Naked Hunter products but you can buy those from P-A as well among other places.
Well, I think exclusive may pertain to having the product first and without competition (for a limited amount of time, mind you). I've noticed that Play-Asia still don't have the Karous OST listed, so for the time being, VGMWorld are right.
MathU

Post by MathU »

Anyone have word on the Wii port yet? I've been doing a little research, but haven't been able to scrounge up anything yet.
Of course, that's just an opinion.
Always seeking netplay fans to play emulated arcade games with.
RyanDG

Post by RyanDG »

MathU wrote:Anyone have word on the Wii port yet? I've been doing a little research, but haven't been able to scrounge up anything yet.
Milestone hasn't acknowledge it yet. O3 Entertainment has it on their upcoming games list as the publisher for the US release, but from my understanding it will be officially first shown by Milestone at the TGS.
http://www.arcade-renaissance.com - My little home on the web.
eretsua

Post by eretsua »

Kiken wrote:Well, I think exclusive may pertain to having the product first and without competition (for a limited amount of time, mind you). I've noticed that Play-Asia still don't have the Karous OST listed, so for the time being, VGMWorld are right.
that may very well be, yes.

my OST arrived here a few days ago and it's very awesome! like the ChaosField OST it's more of an album rather than an OST. the music is top notch with little nice subtleties and lovely twists. the included remixes are very worth while as well.

the packaging is in a somewhat similar minimal style as the game is only it's in all black. have only heard it a few times but that will soon change.
warning: a huge warning sign is approaching fast!
http://community.livejournal.com/the_dump_ever/profile/
MathU

Post by MathU »

The Wii version has now been announced for March by Rakuten, and it seems Milestone is going to include Radirgy with this after all, as well as Chaos Field. Here's the source, though you may have to use a translator:
http://item.rakuten.co.jp/edigi-game/jan-4560193520168/

Hopefully that Radio Allergy translation done by O3 Entertainment won't go to waste after all now.
Super Laydock

Post by Super Laydock »

They should call it Chaos Field+ extras

Sets the main game and the extras apart... :roll:
Barroom hero!
Bathroom hero!
MathU

Post by MathU »

I haven't had a chance to play the other two, but I enjoy Chaos Field too. Too bad I already own the excellent Gamecube port.
m.sniffles.esq

Re: Milestone release 'Karous' - Arcade 2006 / Dreamcast 200

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Sorry to yank this thread out of it's grave, but I just recently stumbled upon this: an English translation of the Dreamcast version of Karous, released about a month ago.
(Xyga posted this link in the "State of Emulation" thread last week, but I felt it was sort of lost there. I mean, I didn't see it...)

It works as a patch for either the .cdi or .gdi file, (I've actually been playing a .cdi anyway, as my "official" copy began occasionally hanging when loading the game itself) it takes about five minutes to patch using software they provide.

It's a very 'all-inclusive' translation. Basically, if there's Japanese text anywhere within the game/intro/etc, it's translated. In interest of full disclosure, it sometimes causes very brief slowdown, not enough to effect gameplay, but enough to notice.

As someone who's fallen under this game's spell, but never had any idea what any of the text said, I've been finding this really great (although, I now know what people were talking about when they described the game as 'pretentious'). If you like the game at all, and don't read Japanese it's very worth checking out, as a stellar job was done.
KAI

Post by KAI »

Oh god is fantastic! Thanks for the heads up m.sniffles.esq!

Hope these guys do Radirgy next, they will have all my love forever if they do that.
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

According to the screenshots and video, they translated "5 stages" by "5 screens", and there are other awkward sentences such as "When the level of each equipement rising" or "There are many diseases that lead to dead" so I am not sure the translation quality is ideal, but it's nonetheless an interesting project and I'll have to check it out!

For the record, the first Milestone Shooting Collection did receive a US release back then (named Ultimate Shooting Collection, complete with goddawful cover artwork only Western marketers know how to make :lol: ) and the text in Karous and Radirgy are translated. Probably not perfectly, but it can be interesting to compare at least for the Karous translation.
And Radirgy itself seems to have some pretty funny lines come to think of it.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

ccording to the screenshots and video, they translated "5 stages" by "5 screens", and there are other awkward sentences such as "When the level of each equipement rising" or "There are many diseases that lead to dead" so I am not sure the translation quality is ideal
Well, it's a Polish guy doing an english translation of Japanese text, a wire or two is bound to get crossed... He states his goal was to provide something better than the wii translation. Which I haven't personally tried, but by all accounts, it's far from complete, and the parts that do exist are pretty baffling and/or absolute nonsense. Seeing that I always know what's being said, even when I don't know what the fuck they're talking about, means he was successful. (I've seen the wii translation referred to as "word salad" from multiple sources)

As for the two specifics ""When the level of each equipment rising, Karous' power and attack range is increasing" Sure, not the best. But, I know what it's saying. And as for "There are many diseases that lead to dead. Can you be confident you won't be struck by any?" Again, not great. But I know what's being said, even if I don't *exactly* know what it means. And really. for all I know using "dead" instead of "death" could be entirely on purpose since everything is obviously attempting to be all arty and poetic anyway,

At the end of the day, the guy translated a 12-year-old STG that barely anyone likes even among people who play STGs, for a console that's 20-years-old. If that's not worth a couple bucks, or at least a download, I don't know what is...
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

Dont get me wrong, it sure is incredible that such a project exists and that someone is dedicated enough to re-translate the game!
It's just that it reminds me of a similar situation in visual novels for example, where fans can translate games even if English isn't a language they master so the end result does not sound natural and is not pleasant to read despite being correct (assuming it is actually correct and not mis-translated).

In this case, I think a simple pass by an native speaker editor could iron out the typos and unnatural grammatical constructs. I could be asking too much of a passion-fueled one-man fan-project, though, it's possible.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project