Shooting Game Tournament 2006

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
tviks

Post by tviks »

Ghegs wrote:Assuming we play any Gradius games and tviks is available, I'm in. 8)

Nah, I'm in regardless.
If that would be the case, guess I'm in too.
crithit5000

Post by crithit5000 »

FUCK. YES. COUNT ME IN.

Ramus' competitions were fun as hell.
now tighter than your sister
Fenrir

Post by Fenrir »

Edge wrote:We could make an Amiga week too. I'd be up for a wide range of different shmups. :D

And I am still interested into a super retro week (pre 1985 shmups) like Xevious, Exerion, Star Force, Galaga... ;)
That would be fan-freakin-tastic! And the retroweek is a very nice touch. A Xevious or 1942 competition would be interesting as hell :D
Alas, Ikaruga is going...

Undesired, unwanted them...
What makes them go?
landshark

Post by landshark »

I'm in. I miss the Ramus comps. I don't want to bring anyone's team down though because of lack of participation on some games or lack of time.
1up

Post by 1up »

count me in if its every 2nd week

only problem is that im probably the only guy from denmark ...
Belmont

Post by Belmont »

Count me in! Sounds like a ton of fun. Sign me up for the Utranewbtastic team!
Fighter17
Banned User

Post by Fighter17 »

Fenrir wrote:I feel sad because no-one ever chooses Amiga shmups for these competitions. I will now drink myself into oblivion to tackle the unfairness of it all.
I'd love to see how our fellow shmuppers make out with the likes of Apidya or Carcharodon. Or Project X. That would really be something ;)
Amiga games would be nice, but the problem is:

* Amiga emulation is a bitch to get it running.
* Amiga wasn't even popular in the US at all.
* I don't have a lot of background knownage of Amiga games except Turrican.

I would support emulation because I don't own any PCBs at all, and I only own certain arcade ports like Zero Gunner 2, Giga Wing 2, and some PSX games. Speaking of PSX games, we need to do an Einhander one! :D

Oh yeah, USA EAST SIDE > USA WEST SIDE!

Even better, USA > WORLD!
Fenrir

Post by Fenrir »

Fighter17 wrote:Amiga games would be nice, but the problem is:

* Amiga emulation is a bitch to get it running.
If you have any kind of problem with Winuae, from kickstart roms to actual game roms, from the screen configuration to the input, refresh, scanlines, country configurations just drop me a line and I'll be more than glad to help you. I could even send you (or everyone who's interested) my configuration files, tuned for A500, 1200, 2000 and 4000 - Winuae is great because you can do it!
I'd play them on a real Amiga of course, but Winuae emulation works great. As far as I've seen, Agony, Apidya, Project X, Carcharodon, Blood Money, Z-Out, Dragon Spirit and so on work just right on a decent PC.
Fighter17 wrote:* Amiga wasn't even popular in the US at all.
*whip* bad americans! Bad!!

Fighter17 wrote:* I don't have a lot of background knownage of Amiga games except Turrican.
Yeah I know. Many people here share the same problem. But then again, you don't have to know the Amiga gaming environment perfectly to get in the competition, and you could even discover some hidden gems.

This said, I'm not like trying to force people to have an Amiga week of course, I know it's a niche gaming system. But if we could find enough participants (mostly from Europe, probably), it could turn out to be a different and original experience.

And YAY for Europe Team, of course 8)
Last edited by Fenrir on Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Alas, Ikaruga is going...

Undesired, unwanted them...
What makes them go?
freddiebamboo

Post by freddiebamboo »

This is more like it!

Count me in, although like landshark, I may not be involved in every game if it is a weekly effort again.

Vote for DDP seeing as I'm playing it these days.

Or Dragon Blaze.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Edge, rather than openly disrespecting the Italy challenge, you think you could rename this topic to SHMEET since you are running it off that exact format? And maybe move this to the HighScore Thread where the other shmeet stuff has traditionally been run?

:roll:
freddiebamboo

Post by freddiebamboo »

I hope that Italian members of the forum don't now feel thay are not wanted in score competitons.

Maybe this could mend some of the bridges after the arguments in the previous thread.
cigsthecat

Post by cigsthecat »

I'm in if we can have a California Dudez team.
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

I'll start a team called "The Thunder Forcers" :lol:
howmuchkeefe

Post by howmuchkeefe »

I'm in. It'll prolly help keep me from burning out on DOJ (though I have yet to get as sick of it as I did PCB- odd, because PCB was VERY forgiving, and didn't kick you in the nuts nearly as often).
Edge

Post by Edge »

Dave_K. wrote:Edge, rather than openly disrespecting the Italy challenge, you think you could rename this topic to SHMEET...
Well ok, I got your point there. Topic changed.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Edge for Shmupsforum Shmeet Co-ordinator.
Edge

Post by Edge »

So, I started to gather the basic information in the my first post. As we discuss further about the details of this NEW SHMEET I am going to edit this post.

So two important questions:
How long would you like this competition to last?

Icarus wrote:Edge for Shmupsforum Shmeet Co-ordinator.
Thanks for the trust. :D

...And this way no one else have to bother with this stuff, eh? :P :lol:
ED-057

Post by ED-057 »

This sounds like just the sort of excuse I'd need to practice a particular game for more than a half hour. My collection is older console stuff but of course I'd be willing to play PC games or MAME also.

I think it would be cool to run a "biweekly shmupsforum challenge" indefintely... maybe have one competition run for a number of weeks and then start another one immediately following the last...
Rob

Re: THE NEW SHMEET

Post by Rob »

Last edited by Rob on Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

Technosoft week?
Renovation week?
Rob

Post by Rob »

The Coop wrote:Technosoft week?
Renovation week?
16-bit console shooters would have to be all lumped together to select anything worthwhile for a score-based competition. Way too boring, and possibly too long.

If it comes down to shooting that 1 extra pollen in Hydra... :(
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

Rob wrote:
The Coop wrote:Technosoft week?
Renovation week?
16-bit console shooters would have to be all lumped together to select anything worthwhile for a score-based competition. Way too boring, and possibly too long.

If it comes down to shooting that 1 extra pollen in Hydra... :(
Too long? How so? Most shmups don't go above 40 minutes from the 16-bit era.

Anyway, by that logic, Cave, Psikyo, and who knows how many others would need to have their respective games all lumped together, due to so many manic shmups having been released by them and others. I personally find it hard to believe all 16-bit shmups like M.U.S.H.A. and Thunder Force IV are so similar that they need to be lumped into one mass.

Remember, not every shmup player is a huge manic fan. As such, lumping an entire generation of shmups into a single category seems rather drastic... unless every manic shmup is going to have the same done to it as well.
Rob

Post by Rob »

The Coop wrote: Remember, not every shmup player is a manic nut. As such, lumping an entire generation of shmups into a single category seems rather drastic... unless every manic shmup is going to have the same done to it as well.
I'm not judging these games for any reason but score-competition potential. Sadly or not, pickings are slim enough (score system-wise) to have to lump them, if including them at all.

MUSHA's scoring system is like "here's a 1000% bonus for destroying the final boss." Score is too much of an afterthought there.
sven666

Post by sven666 »

as far as length goes i think 5-6games is plenty if were talking 2 weeks on each.

and games yeah, i too would love to see a nice spread in platforms with amiga, pcfx, fm towns marty etc.. but honestly i dont think that there are enough people that own one to be able to pull it off.. mame, arcade and mainstream consoles mean we can get the most participants possible.

oh and cmon you swedes, i know there are plenty more around, show yourselves! ;)
the destruction of everything, is the beginning of something new. your whole world is on fire, and soon, you'll be too..
zakk

Post by zakk »

Remember, we need to be careful picking some of the older games. I recall there was at least one game picked in the last shmeet series that ended up having some insane infinite score milk, where you didn't even have to do anything but position yourself and put a weight on the button. Then come back a few days later. It makes the pickings even slimmer for that era.
sikraiken

Post by sikraiken »

I still have to decline once again, maybe in the future when I have more time. :D
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Sounds like fun. I'm in.

I also want to nominate PlasmaBLOOD.

An Amiga week would be great, but if the game chosen wasn't Apidya, Katakis, Z-Out, Lethal Xcess or Wings of Death, I wouldn't be able to play it, as I have problems getting Amiga emulation running on my MiniMac and those are the only shmups I currently have for my real machine. Apart from that, there's not much scoring potential in most Amiga shooters. But that might be a problem with every non-manic game, so I don't know if it really matters.
How about a C64 week? :D

Oh yes, and another nomination: I want to nominate Shatterhand.
NTSC-J

Post by NTSC-J »

I would like to participate, but it looks like the USA team is already well stocked. If you want to split it up by coast, I'll be on the West side.

I currently live in Japan so I guess I could play under that flag, but USA would be most appropriate.
Tychom

Post by Tychom »

If there's enough players eager to join then hows about nominating a number of team captains (3 or 4) and then hooking up players to different teams so that they're all roughly balanced. Then it'll allow some of us average players to pad out the bottom end of each team.
Japanese game name database (lottsa shmups!!!)
DEL

Comp

Post by DEL »

Now that photos are allowed - I'm IN.

Teams by Country would be Best I think.

As mentioned earlier, the UK Team will therefore be difficult to get into. I nominate Icarus, Smraedis, mulletgeezer.

Mills is still playing, but he's not a member of this board, so I guess he's out - so you now have a chance on Seibu and Psikyo weeks :lol: !

Ex-Mosquito is an excellent player, but he seems to be concentrating on other things right now. Shame, 'cause the UK needs his Psikyo skills.

As sven says, the Italian AES Team may still win...