Shooting Game Tournament 2006

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Rob wrote:
The Coop wrote:Technosoft week?
Renovation week?
16-bit console shooters would have to be all lumped together to select anything worthwhile for a score-based competition. Way too boring, and possibly too long.

If it comes down to shooting that 1 extra pollen in Hydra... :(
what about Space Megaforce "short game" mode? wouldn't it be a good scoring ground, provided not played at normal difficulty?
X - P - B
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

I'm in!

Any other dutch shmup players around here? :?
Vincere

Re: Comp

Post by Vincere »

DEL wrote: Teams by Country would be Best I think.
Even if I would gladly make part of a European team, seems like a good idea. We in france have the D-Ku Team, Italy has AEX Shooting Team etc, that could be fun.
Edge

Post by Edge »

Tychom wrote:If there's enough players eager to join then hows about nominating a number of team captains (3 or 4) and then hooking up players to different teams so that they're all roughly balanced. Then it'll allow some of us average players to pad out the bottom end of each team.

I agree that is indeed an interesting point. Icarus suggested something alike at some point. The question is should we try to balance teams, or would it be more fun to choose teams just on regionals? Which will offcourse lead to more or less unbalanced teams. We might also do teams like "northern Europe" where players of different countries can unite, so it don't have to only depend on strict regionals. I think at least. :)

Oh, and by the way with byweekly you guys meant we play 2 weeks and then start a new game. Because I understood it the way we start a game every 2 weeks and then play this game for 1 week. So we have a 1 week break between the next game. Or did I misunderstood you in the first place?

And Sven666 suggested we should give this competition thingie a better name then The New Shmeet. He came up with the title "le grande shmups tournament". But yeah, i think shmeets sound indeed a bit stupid, so have you any ideas for it's name?

@Turrican:
Sorry I wasn't sure from what you wrote in your post. So, would you like to join this competition?
Sword

Post by Sword »

Dennis wrote:I'm in!

Any other dutch shmup players around here? :?
Yes. I'm in too.

Ramus' shmeets were great fun, so i have to be in this one too.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Edge wrote: @Turrican:
Sorry I wasn't sure from what you wrote in your post. So, would you like to join this competition?
Well, why not - as long as I own the game - I kinda suck at anything released post-'96, so if teams are creative-balanced instead of ethnic-nationality ones, put me among very strong players so you'll level them down :wink:
X - P - B
Vincere

Post by Vincere »

Edge wrote: And Sven666 suggested we should give this competition thingie a better name then The New Shmeet. He came up with the title "le grande shmups tournament". But yeah, i think shmeets sound indeed a bit stupid, so have you any ideas for it's name?
This is "le grand" if you wanna be right.
Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke »

Code: Select all

Nominee              Anwser 

Limbrooke             ?

How the hell did I become a nominee? :shock:
I suck all nearly all shmups relatively speaking..
'Only a fool trusts his life to a weapon.'
mulletgeezer

Post by mulletgeezer »

count me in. this sounds much better than the originally proposed MAME only contest.
ill6

Post by ill6 »

I will take part, but only if we all in Mame on a Jap PSP. (left handed&blindfolded).
sven666

Post by sven666 »

man, i vote for straight down nationality teams.. i think it would be alot of fun :)

maybe dividing up the US if they desire cause there are so many members, but i dont want to cluster europe together.
im hardly the most skilled player around but i dont outright suck either, i wanna see how me and my fellow countrymen (with whom i play regularly) can fare against the rest of you lot 8) i think putting nationality in focus might get some more exited to perform well, just like any other tornament, all in good fun ofcourse :)

oh and the name "le grande shmups tournament" wa sobviously a joke, why not keep it simple and informative "shmups tournament 2006" for example or " the big shmups world-showdown" if you wanna spice it up a bit.. i just think SHMEET doesnt say very much about whats going on (i dont even know what it means)..
the destruction of everything, is the beginning of something new. your whole world is on fire, and soon, you'll be too..
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

I'm in from the 23rd. Thanks to Edge for PM as well :wink:
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

Sign me up. -USA westside-
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Edge wrote:I agree that is indeed an interesting point. Icarus suggested something alike at some point. The question is should we try to balance teams, or would it be more fun to choose teams just on regionals? Which will offcourse lead to more or less unbalanced teams. We might also do teams like "northern Europe" where players of different countries can unite, so it don't have to only depend on strict regionals. I think at least. :)
What I meant was that the top end of each regional team should be balanced by splitting up players based on reputation - players known to be exceptional should be made 'captains' of a national team, which in effect seperates the top names and allows a little bit of balance.

Imagine if there was a Team Japan. -_-;;
DEL

Post by DEL »

Again I agree with sven;
man, i vote for straight down nationality teams
No collective Euro Team etc.

This of course means that the Italian AES Team can still take on the rest. (Albeit with not so strict recording rules :wink: ).
BulletMagnet

Re: THE NEW SHMEET

Post by BulletMagnet »

Edge wrote:PS: And BulletMagnet is our official mascot ;)
Yay! :mrgreen:

I've been considering gathering a few other, erm, skill-challenged players such as myself, and forming a "Loser Team" or something like that, just for kicks...anyone out there up for joining me? We need representation too. ;)
NTSC-J

Post by NTSC-J »

My suggestions for the name of the meet:

STG 無差別級グランプリ2006 決勝戦 (Shooting Game Open-Weight Grand Prix 2006 Final Match)
Shooting Game Tournament 2006 Inferno!
Shooting Game Revenge 2006
Shooting Game Tournament 2006 Final Conflict

USA players should specify what region they want to play for too.
Last edited by NTSC-J on Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

BulletMagnet wrote:I've been considering gathering a few other, erm, skill-challenged players such as myself, and forming a "Loser Team" or something like that, just for kicks...anyone out there up for joining me? We need representation too. ;)
I belong there - I jump the wagon :P
X - P - B
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

There you have it, Edge: put us down on the International Brotherhood of Losers! :mrgreen:
Vincere

Post by Vincere »

Bullet I'm with you on this one! Definitely!
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

NTSC-J wrote:STG 無差別級グランプリ2006 決勝戦 (Shooting Game Open-Weight Grand Prix 2006 Final Match)
I love that one.
Jck

Post by Jck »

BulletMagnet wrote:There you have it, Edge: put us down on the International Brotherhood of Losers! :mrgreen:
I'm in too! :)
Venom

Post by Venom »

NTSC-J wrote:My suggestions for the name of the meet:

Hehe, then call me Fedor as I'll be watching this one from the sidelines.
Fascination...
Neverland

Post by Neverland »

im in
8)
Belmont

Post by Belmont »

BulletMagnet wrote: I've been considering gathering a few other, erm, skill-challenged players such as myself, and forming a "Loser Team" or something like that, just for kicks...anyone out there up for joining me? We need representation too. ;)
Sign me up! Im not that great at most shmups and i definatly dont wanna be holding another team back because my scores will suck.
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

I surely am in. Not a lot of free time lately, but I think I can play 30 minutes of a shmup daily :). And I just got a new, decent, arcade stick, which makes me play a lot better than I used with the dual shock or the keyboard.

Amiga emulation isn't hard to do, though indeed I never tried it on the Mac. I can give some help to make it run on PC though.

Herr, you know you can download .ADF files from internet and transfer the contents of it to a real floppy and run the game on a Real Amiga, don't you? I bet it's possible with a Mac too. I know at least one user from this forum knows how to do this properly, and I know other people to ask regarding this subject.

If we make national teams, I am completely screwed... how many brazilians are in this forum? :D I know Stormwatch and R-Typer. R-Typer isn't very active on this forum, but he does play shmups with some regularity. I dunno if Stormwatch also play games (I notice he usually posts more in the off-topic forum than the main one).

Maybe we could put a LATIN AMERICA team, and call Specineff and Akira back. :D

Now, if we really keep on national teams, that may be a good reason to make a couple of friends of mine register here....

And let's have an MSX week too, so I can at least ONCE obliterate everyone scores :) (Seriously, c'mon, it's time to give Space Manbow some love :D)
thesuperkillerxxx

Post by thesuperkillerxxx »

I will play, and would like to start a USA "Flyover" Team, as in I don't live on the east or west coast, I live in a flyover state. you have to FLY OVER to get to the other coast.
MrMonkeyMan

Post by MrMonkeyMan »

Limbrooke wrote:

Code: Select all

Nominee              Anwser 

Limbrooke             ?

How the hell did I become a nominee? :shock:
I suck all nearly all shmups relatively speaking..
Because team Canada would be pretty lonely without a couple other players? So I guess I can take part.
NTSC-J

Post by NTSC-J »

Venom wrote:
NTSC-J wrote:My suggestions for the name of the meet:

Hehe, then call me Fedor as I'll be watching this one from the sidelines.
lol glad you caught it. I was at the second round of the GP a couple months ago, first time I ever got to see Mirko in person. I'm getting ring-side seats for the Final on 9/10, should be some epic shit!
namagomi

Post by namagomi »

even though I'm rather bad at playing I'd like to participate. it will be my goal to not finish last :D