Can Bullet Hell Games Be Meditative? | Idea Channel | PBS

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Ed Oscuro

Re: Can Bullet Hell Games Be Meditative? | Idea Channel | PB

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Don't see nothin' but a huge list of unsourced assertions there - "it's in the sections you quoted" isn't convincing.

Of course nobody's saying that you should do your first practice of meditation while playing a game. It should be easier to learn and practice meditation as a beginner using the traditional method - but nothing here (or anywhere) says that a person accomplished at meditation cannot pursue those goals while doing some other thing. It seems to me a basic mistake to say that meditation's goals are only achieved during very sterile conditions and to believe that you have no control over yourself when certain situations intervene. That is explicitly contrary to what is asserted here - that you practice a state to gain control over yourself. If you do not have some control over your state of mind even in disparate circumstances, then you aren't really good at meditating after all.
atheistgod1999
Banned User

Post by atheistgod1999 »

Yeah, they actually can. After beating some hard NES games for the first time, I was a lot calmer and able to get all my homework done as soon as I got home from school for about 2 weeks.
Xyga wrote:It's really awesome how quash never gets tired of hammering the same stupid shit over and over and you guys don't suspect for second that he's actually paid for this.
S_Fang

Post by S_Fang »

I saw the video once and never looked back.
This guy sounds like an hyper-active douchebag that thinks to be smart by shuttering non-stop words with memetic images and not reaching a point about the topic.

Personally, playing bullet hells require memorization and thought processing skills in order to get through such mingled mess of bullets, something that it isn't relaxing unless you're used to such procedure in other fields (like music or dancing).
Indeed being relaxed or sharping focus through some meditation could be useful in order to improve at the genre, but it's not the only thing.
Zen
Banned User

Post by Zen »