M2 ShotTriggers DDP Daioujou Rinne Tensei

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
miwa

Re: M2 ShotTriggers DDP Daioujou Rinne Tensei

Post by miwa »

If this comes out on PS4 and Switch I will double dip for sure.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

mirkvid wrote:What would Dolemite do? Buy it and take the punishment!
Dolemite gives out pain

And receives pain
Steven

Post by Steven »

I was wrong; no new element dolls, just new art of the old ones, at least for now. What's-her-name from the 360 version didn't get new art, either, just the original three.
Acid_Rain

Post by Acid_Rain »

Bit quiet 'ere. Hope there's some news on this soon.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Acid_Rain wrote:Bit quiet 'ere. Hope there's some news on this soon.
yeah it's killing me

Everyone's all TotK and D4, and I'm like, no, those are great, but they're way in second place to DOJ coming back
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Acid_Rain

Post by Acid_Rain »

Still way too quiet 'ere. Any updates i missed?
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Acid_Rain wrote:Still way too quiet 'ere. Any updates i missed?
M2's next Toaplan release is coming this week, so a lot more likely to get some updates in the days/weeks to come. Doesn't surprise me that we haven't heard much as of late though, recent M2 communications have understandably been more about their next release.

I wouldn't count on hearing much on their ZeroFire launch livestream this week, but it's possible that we'll hear some sort of update at that time. More likely scenario seems to be a more significant update later, specific to DOJ.
miwa

Post by miwa »

M2 will host a live stream on August 10th with more news regarding the upcoming DOJ port.
Most importantly, the release date will be announced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZsPoNfPPmE
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Hope that means it's hitting before the end of the year. Do M2 have a booth at TGS?
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

Hopefully they officially announce platforms too. Got my fingers crossed for Switch.
guildenstern

Post by guildenstern »

Idk, Id think switch is a given unless there is a technical reason for not releasing there. Id be surprised if it became a day 1 gamepass title or something bizarre like that.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

guildenstern wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:40 am Idk, Id think switch is a given unless there is a technical reason for not releasing there. Id be surprised if it became a day 1 gamepass title or something bizarre like that.
M2's last five ShotTriggers releases have been PS4+Switch, ever since they started supporting Switch in 2019 with Esp.Ra.De, and then with Aleste Collection and all three Toaplan Arcade Garage volumes that followed. So yeah, that would support the idea that they'll keep doing Switch releases.

That being said, those games are all on older and presumably easier to emulate hardware than DOJ, which was on the same arcade hardware (PGM) as Ketsui... the last ShotTriggers release to be PS4 only. Coincidence that they didn't start Switch support until the next year, or was there a technical reason they declined to do Ketsui for Switch? With M2 being M2, it's not beyond the realm of possibility that they don't feel they can do PGM games on Switch to their demanding "arcade perfect" standards due to technical limitations. Guess we'll see soon!

DOJ showing up on Switch would also beg the question... any chance they go back and release Ketsui for Switch too? Logical to assume that once they have one game from the same arcade hardware running on a system, they could leverage that to more easily release other games based on the same hardware. Interesting stuff.
Warp_Rattler

Post by Warp_Rattler »

hamfighterx wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:02 pm That being said, those games are all on older and presumably easier to emulate hardware than DOJ, which was on the same arcade hardware (PGM) as Ketsui... the last ShotTriggers release to be PS4 only. Coincidence that they didn't start Switch support until the next year, or was there a technical reason they declined to do Ketsui for Switch? With M2 being M2, it's not beyond the realm of possibility that they don't feel they can do PGM games on Switch to their demanding "arcade perfect" standards due to technical limitations. Guess we'll see soon!
While they are ports of the 360 versions and not to M2's standards of accuracy, wouldn't the presence of DFK and Espgaluda II on Switch make an argument for the potential viability of a Ketsui port (aren't they running off of the same or slightly more advanced hardware?). Unless of course the reason M2 didn't consider it from the start is something like another episode of "we did the best we could but couldn't beat the deadly, warping slowdown in Stage 5..."
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

DFK and Espgaluda II are CV1000 games, not PGM; Espgaluda 1 was PGM. AFAIK they're also ports rather than emulation, while the M2STG games are emulation. That said, I feel like M2-quality PGM emulation should be doable on Switch.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Ms. Tea wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 3:01 amThat said, I feel like M2-quality PGM emulation should be doable on Switch.
I agree, certainly feels doable and it would be disappointing to see that not come to pass.

Considering that M2 has done great work on Switch with games from some other roughly contemporary hardware in the Taito FX-1B (G Darius and Raystorm), and G-Net (Raycrisis), it feels like the Switch is up to the challenge for PGM as well. However... those pieces of hardware were more 3D focused than PGM, so might present some different challenges to overcome, and I don't know about any other PGM-specific quirks that might be an issue. I feel sure that other companies would be comfortable that Switch is sufficient: for instance, IGS actually released a compilation of PGM games earlier this year on Switch, and while they are very barebones in terms of options, they feel to me like they run fine (though that's me eyeballing games I don't know all that well - Knights of Valour, Oriental Legend, etc).

But this is M2 we're talking about. They are notoriously demanding for accuracy, and it's curious that since starting to do ShotTriggers on Switch they've mostly been focused on older hardware with the 3 Toaplan releases and Aleste Collection. Maybe that's intentional and they've been buying time until a Switch successor is available and can better handle Cave's expectations for stuff like Ibara, Batrider, etc. Maybe that's also why ShotTriggers Ketsui (PGM game as well) was PS4-only, before they started doing Switch releases the following year.

Guess we will find out very soon!
Warp_Rattler

Post by Warp_Rattler »

Ms. Tea wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 3:01 am DFK and Espgaluda II are CV1000 games, not PGM; Espgaluda 1 was PGM. AFAIK they're also ports rather than emulation, while the M2STG games are emulation. That said, I feel like M2-quality PGM emulation should be doable on Switch.
Thanks for clarifying--I probably could have dug that info up with a bit of effort, but I wouldn't pretend to really know what the hardware differences actually mean, or portend for ease/accuracy of emulation.

I had forgotten all of the technical details that caused Arika to abandon their PS2 port of Ketsui all those years ago, but it would be somewhat surprising that the Switch today couldn't potentially overcome issues from 15+ years ago. But yes, I know that was a port as well, vs. the emulation that characterizes the ShotTriggers line.

I wonder if maybe the absence of Ketsui on the Switch is just nothing more than that it was developed/released early in the Switch's lifespan, before the console really started proving itself as a viable destination for all manner of new and old STGs. Maybe they didn't think about developing it for the platform at the time, and now they don't have the free time to go back and work on it. And maybe, and maybe...

I was looking through M2's website for a list of stuff they've worked on since the Switch was released, and it's absolutely staggering all the projects they've been involved in--both higher-profile work like this where their own name is part of the marketing, or all the contract work they do for, like, everybody who wants to fart out another retro collection and is concerned about the quality of the emulation. I'm actually sort of surprised we've made it to Vol. 3 of the Toaplan Arcade Garage series, given everything else they've got going on.
Sengoku Strider

Warp_Rattler wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:48 pmI wonder if maybe the absence of Ketsui on the Switch is just nothing more than that it was developed/released early in the Switch's lifespan, before the console really started proving itself as a viable destination for all manner of new and old STGs.
I mean, yes. The Switch had been out for only 18 months when Deathtiny hit Japan. Meanwhile, M2 already had two ShotTriggers titles under their belts for PS4, and at the time that's surely where the Japanese STG community was after the XB1 only sold 25k systems there in its lifetime. Switch dev tools were still likely in an early state as well.

But we haven't even gotten a physical version of Sorcer Striker, so I'm not sure how much attention they're paying to their own past efforts.
cfx

Post by cfx »

Sengoku Strider wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:19 pm But we haven't even gotten a physical version of Sorcer Striker, so I'm not sure how much attention they're paying to their own past efforts.
Or Battle Garegga in the home market of Japan. Yeah yeah, LRG in the US and Arc System Works in Korea only, but that isn't the same thing. Or Dangan Feveron for that matter.

So unless something changes, I don't think M2 is going to revisit previous releases.

OTOH, I recently finally bought Sorcer Striker digitally, so if it was ever going to suddenly happen it would be now. :o :!: :P :D
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Sengoku Strider wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:19 pmI mean, yes. The Switch had been out for only 18 months when Deathtiny hit Japan. Meanwhile, M2 already had two ShotTriggers titles under their belts for PS4, and at the time that's surely where the Japanese STG community was after the XB1 only sold 25k systems there in its lifetime. Switch dev tools were still likely in an early state as well.
At the risk of being too pedantic: M2 had three ShotTriggers titles under their belts at that time: Garegga (2016), Dangun Feveron (2017), and Mahou Daisakusen (2017). ;)

Also, your figure of 25k Xbox One systems is a bit off, last year Famitsu reported ~118k lifetime sales (link). Still awful, and doesn't change the point in the least. A far cry from the ~1.6mil Xbox 360s in the region, obviously much less than the competition (PS3 sold about 10.5 mil lifetime in Japan, actually around a million more than PS4's lifetime sales), but the dedicated shooter fans were there in large enough numbers to make the 360 the console of choice for the niche genre in that generation.

But yeah, Ketsui was in that time period where the development time would have coincided with the first year or so of the Switch's life, and devs weren't sure what to make of it or whether the system would be a big success. Perhaps that alone explains no ShotTriggers Ketsui on Switch, and isn't an unreasonable position. But ever since then, M2 have been diligently releasing all of the ShotTriggers games on PS4+Switch, including self-published physical Japanese releases. Same thing for their high profile shooter work for Taito. I think it's obvious now that Switch games do sell, so if at all possible it feels like an easy financial decision to do a Switch port for DOJ.
Sengoku Strider wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:19 pmBut we haven't even gotten a physical version of Sorcer Striker, so I'm not sure how much attention they're paying to their own past efforts.
With Switch sales currently demolishing every other platform in Japan, if part of the decision on Ketsui was not just uncertainty about the Switch's prospects and was also down to technical concerns about emulating the PGM hardware to M2 standards, and they NOW go back and get that work done for DOJ since the Switch has more than proven itself at this point... although I don't know that I'd call it likely, it also wouldn't be totally shocking to me to see them go back and release a Switch port of Ketsui way late. I mean, they went back and released Xbox versions of the first two ShotTriggers releases over a year after the PS4 versions, so it's not entirely unprecedented (obviously a longer gap with Ketsui though).

But eh... you're probably right about them not giving too much effort to past releases. And the LRG releases for Garagga and Dangun Feveron also aren't necessarily a big indicator of any of M2's priorities or efforts either, for all we know that might have been more driven by LRG than M2. Which only further reinforces your point.

Anyway, exciting to see confirmation in another day and a half!
cfx wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:14 amOTOH, I recently finally bought Sorcer Striker digitally, so if it was ever going to suddenly happen it would be now. :o :!: :P :D
Hahahaha that really is the way to make it happen XD
Warp_Rattler

Post by Warp_Rattler »

hamfighterx wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:26 am
cfx wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:14 amOTOH, I recently finally bought Sorcer Striker digitally, so if it was ever going to suddenly happen it would be now. :o :!: :P :D
Hahahaha that really is the way to make it happen XD
On different occasions, I bought 13 Sentinels and Nier Automata for the PS4 (on disc) because it seemed like they were starting to get harder to find and I really wanted to get around to seeing what all the fuss was about. In both instances, Switch ports were announced a mere month or two later. I believe in the power of the universe to make us regret our reluctant purchases.
Sengoku Strider

Jinx this into existence plz.
hamfighterx wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:26 amAt the risk of being too pedantic: M2 had three ShotTriggers titles under their belts at that time: Garegga (2016), Dangun Feveron (2017), and Mahou Daisakusen (2017). ;)
I completely forgot about Feveron, which is hilarious because the box is literally sitting here right in front of me.
Also, your figure of 25k Xbox One systems is a bit off, last year Famitsu reported ~118k lifetime sales (link).
Thanks, I probably got that crossed up with the launch figures or something.
MaXXX

Post by MaXXX »

Bring your games to PC, M2!
slateman

Post by slateman »

For those interested, it appears the stream begins at 06:00 EST on the 10th. That's 03:00 on the west coast and 15:00 Paris time. I'm sure most will just come here after the event ended, but thought I'd share. The link above gives a countdown for your region.
STGAlmond

Post by STGAlmond »

MaXXX wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:40 pm Bring your games to PC, M2!
This is my hope since I saw the first m2 shottriggers game. I did buy ketsui, battlegarea, esprade, but didn't pick up more because consoles just don't see that much play from me anymore.
AGermanArtist

Post by AGermanArtist »

Looking fantastic on today's presentation. Release 07/12/23
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Am I supposed to know why dude is dressed as a Christmas tree?
miwa

Post by miwa »

It seems there will be regular and deluxe physical versions for both PS4 and Switch as well as (pre-order?) goodies depending where you order from.

Does anyone know what these are?

slateman

Post by slateman »

miwa wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:12 pm It seems there will be regular and deluxe physical versions for both PS4 and Switch as well as (pre-order?) goodies depending where you order from.

Does anyone know what these are?
This is my poor Japanese (helped by katakana), but here's what I see:

Amazon: Another jacket (dvd case art, presumably)
Beep has some replica instrument card
Trader has a B2 tapestry poster
Neowing a sticker
Something Book: B2 poster (fabric?)
Melon Books an acrylic key holder
Gamers has a 6PW portrait (?)
Wondergoo: 3 posters and 2 tapestries
Ebten a Famitsu (?) DX pack (no clue)
AmiAmi: Masking tape acrylic character plate (A5 size) - no clue what it says after that

Gotta admit, the UI looks pretty cool. More info than I *need*, but it keeps track of bees, power-ups, rank, and the right side has a map with bosses and bee locations. It even has a time-remain counter to see how long you have until your chain is broken, a section telling when you've failed requirements to reach the 2nd loop and a countdown until your hyper runs out. I haven't purchased any of the recent ports, but DOJ? No question...

Edit:
Prices:
Digital: ¥4950
Standard: ¥7480
LE Box: ¥10780

Digital, Standard & LE available on both PS4 and Switch on 7 December, 2023.

More information & images in this tweet
Box includes "New Junya Inoue art, interview/materials book, stereo OST, how-to-play cards, 25mmx25mm hyper item pin badge"

First-run printing also includes these bonuses: "a 24-page guide with strategy from a superplayer on clearing the first loop"

Some art links if you're interested.
* Standard cover art
* Limited cover art
* Logo
Last edited by slateman on Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pablumatic

Post by pablumatic »

That PS4 cover art... Cropped to oblivion again.

The Switch definitely appears to be the console M2 has in mind for these ShotTriggers releases.
slateman

Post by slateman »

pablumatic wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:17 pm The Switch definitely appears to be the console M2 has in mind for these ShotTriggers releases.
Based on...the fact that Switch boxes are more rectangular than the PS4?? Looks like this demo was on the PS4 and not the Switch.