Gunvein - NGDev Team's Foray into High Definition Gaming

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
FunktionJCB

Re: Gunvein - NGDev Team's Foray into High Definition Gaming

Post by FunktionJCB »

sunnshiner wrote:Also, fuck the training stage, I just can't do the bullet streaming bit #scrub #filthycasual :lol:
I did it, but I did die a few times... :mrgreen:
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

Yeah, the tutorial in some parts might be a pain to course through, but you'll eventually get it. Either way, Gunvein is good stuff.
I've Come to Deliver Some Bad Luck!
sunnshiner

Post by sunnshiner »

Wahey! I did it :D
beer gas canister

Post by beer gas canister »

The trick to the streaming tutorial is to briefly stop on the circles, long enough for the next one to appear, then zip to it. You have to let them aim then fire directly at you before moving
sunnshiner

Post by sunnshiner »

beer gas canister wrote:The trick to the streaming tutorial is to briefly stop on the circles, long enough for the next one to appear, then zip to it. You have to let them aim then fire directly at you before moving
Yes, it did finally click :lol:
spmbx

Post by spmbx »

Only tried the demo, but they did a great job with that tutorial
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

Would be nice to try the demo with -any- of my controllers. :l

EDIT: How fitting that it only works with my arcade stick.
rampaging-sloth

Post by rampaging-sloth »

Any news or rumblings on when this might be out on Switch or Playstation?
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Does the upcoming Switch port of Gunvein support tate (besides the usual yoko mode)?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:Does the upcoming Switch port of Gunvein support tate (besides the usual yoko mode)?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Well, if someone has an early copy of the Switch version (doubtful), then we would have known by now. However, since the PC/Steam version does have Tate/Yoko support. So assuming the Switch version might get that option too. (And then the upcoming PS/Xbox versions as well.)
I've Come to Deliver Some Bad Luck!
RobotParking

Post by RobotParking »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:Does the upcoming Switch port of Gunvein support tate (besides the usual yoko mode)?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
The Switch port (out today) has the option to rotate the screen (carried over from the PC version). Works great with my flip grip.

Seems to run pretty well on Switch, but I'm probably not good enough at the game to speak to input lag. They added a new "Handheld" difficulty (still pretty tough). Haven't looked up whether there's a comprehensive list of changes for the Switch version. Still has a longer-than-you'd-expect loading time up front (as with the PC version) but I really haven't noticed any issues with how the game runs. The load time on startup on PC never bothered me much and the Switch version seems pretty comparable.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Wow, Gunvein looks quite awesome on the oled Switch variant setup -- the bullets' colors really do pop indeed. Too bad there isn''t a cool anime cutscene opening intro that leads into the game's main screen nor is a demo run loop of actual gameplay to spice things up to give Gunvein that classic old-school arcade vibe/visual flair. It's a mere 326mb d/l on the Switch platform. If you clear the Gunvein tutorial, a +1 continue is added to your overall number of continues given on default setting.

Does developer/publisher, NGDEV, plan to release Gunvein as a NeoGeo/AES cartridge bundled set or even as an Exa-Arcadia release? It'd be something different for a change of pace if NGDEV were to incorporate some new & exclusive gameplay/content/game mechanic(s) just for an Exa-Arcadia release alone.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
ChurchOfSolipsism

Post by ChurchOfSolipsism »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote: Does developer/publisher, NGDEV, plan to release Gunvein as a NeoGeo/AES cartridge bundled set
I don't know much about the NG's hardware, but my guess would be that it's totally unprepared to handle real bullet hell games... I mean Metal Slug's slowdown is quite bad already at times, imagine how the NG would choke on hundreds of bullets.
n0rtygames wrote:[The wife] once asked me "whats a shoryuken?" so I gave her a real life demonstration. Except she was too close on the spin. So I actually SRK'd her. With full vocalisation too...
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Nothing was announced for NeoGeo. They're known for long preorders on that platform, so if it were coming we'd definitely know about it by now.

But hey, they haven't changed the company name to NotOnNGDev. :P
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

NG stood for Nice Game the whole time.
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

Got this on release on Switch and honesty wasn’t expecting to enjoy it so much.
To the point of being the only game taking me away from the new Zelda.
Just got the Mild 1CC last night and while for plenty of you it will be a walk in the park for me felt like a great accomplishment.
No online leaderboards is borderline unacceptable tough. A bit strange since the whole package feels quite solid.

Looks fantastic (if you like sharp looking sprits) and performs pretty well on the little console.
Just the loading times in between stages are just a little long. At the same time it works well with beer and cigarettes.
Flycast

Post by Flycast »

jehu wrote:New NG Dev Team game - looks solid and presents a very interesting (perhaps controversial) departure from their namesake console.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6lB--mTlRw
i know NG-Dev (for Gunlord) and i like it's desing a lot!
This is instead...awfull....too much clean, looks like something in the "Development" section of this forum...
Maybe is me, but looks cheap..maded with "SHMUPS Creator" or something like that :(
EDIT: there are very few games that are so clean and appeals me...but from NG-Dev i prefer to have something more old fashion.
Playing Now: Gleylancer
Playing Now: Strikers 1945 II

New account name: Lemnear

I'm a Barbie girl in a bullets world.
sunnshiner

Post by sunnshiner »

Flycast wrote:
jehu wrote:New NG Dev Team game - looks solid and presents a very interesting (perhaps controversial) departure from their namesake console.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6lB--mTlRw
i know NG-Dev (for Gunlord) and i like it's desing a lot!
This is instead...awfull....too much clean, looks like something in the "Development" section of this forum...
Maybe is me, but looks cheap..maded with "SHMUPS Creator" or something like that :(
EDIT: there are very few games that are so clean and appeals me...but from NG-Dev i prefer to have something more old fashion.
See, I like the way it looks, it's got a SaiDaiOuJou kind of sparkle to the graphics.
ChurchOfSolipsism

Post by ChurchOfSolipsism »

Flycast wrote: This is instead...awfull....too much clean, looks like something in the "Development" section of this forum...
Maybe is me, but looks cheap...
Oh come on man, I can get into not liking the artstyle for whatever reason (IMHO it looks generic and lacks that certain charm that many Cave games, for example, have), but it definitely doesn't look cheap in any way.
n0rtygames wrote:[The wife] once asked me "whats a shoryuken?" so I gave her a real life demonstration. Except she was too close on the spin. So I actually SRK'd her. With full vocalisation too...
spmbx

Post by spmbx »

Either way it looks a lot better than their pre rendered neo games
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

It looks nice for sure
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

I much prefer the look (and sound) of Razion EX over Gunvien.

Razion EX is criminally overlooked.
qmish

Post by qmish »

Flycast wrote: Maybe is me, but looks cheap..maded with "SHMUPS Creator" or something like that :(
I'm sure if you check what people do with SC, you'll find something that you like.
Two "showcase" reels so far...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39ibK_22bhY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxSLIZ-aTyU
cfx

Post by cfx »

To Far Away Times wrote:I much prefer the look (and sound) of Razion EX over Gunvien.

I'd love to play Razion EX, which I'd do if they'd put it on PS4.

It'll remain overlooked as long as it's stuck only on Switch.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Razion still needs a non-limited physical release before I'll give it a chance. They need to learn what a preorder is, and give everyone who wants to buy one a more than 5 seconds to do so. Yes I know there's a digital download now, but knowing there was a physical and the only reason I couldn't buy one is because they never wanted me to buy one just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. My money is still sitting on the table.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Loom1es

Post by Loom1es »

cfx wrote:
To Far Away Times wrote:I much prefer the look (and sound) of Razion EX over Gunvien.

I'd love to play Razion EX, which I'd do if they'd put it on PS4.

It'll remain overlooked as long as it's stuck only on Switch.
I would support Razion and purchase it either physically or digitally if the game was available anywhere else but the Switch.
Flycast

Post by Flycast »

qmish wrote:
Flycast wrote: Maybe is me, but looks cheap..maded with "SHMUPS Creator" or something like that :(
I'm sure if you check what people do with SC, you'll find something that you like.
Two "showcase" reels so far...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39ibK_22bhY
oh no...clones...clones everywhere :x
Playing Now: Gleylancer
Playing Now: Strikers 1945 II

New account name: Lemnear

I'm a Barbie girl in a bullets world.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Flycast wrote:oh no...clones...clones everywhere :x
Best of luck dealing with your vision impairment.
qmish wrote:I'm sure if you check what people do with SC, you'll find something that you like.

NullSchwert looks neat visually, I'm always curious about games that use a monochromatic art style as I always thought there was some serious potential there. Some great limited palette games are out there like Downwell (no option to disable screen shake is a big sore spot though). Reminds me of the MonoSpace demo and how it's sad it never got made into a full game (rip Milo Sedlacek, leukemia sucks).
Sloppy_J

Post by Sloppy_J »

Can't these Euro developers come up with their own style instead of just ripping off Japanese anime cliche shit?
If you're gonna copy something, at least choose a style that is less lame.