spaceship model kits

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Sly Cherry Chunks

Re: spaceship model kits

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

Vic Viper T301 [2P COLOR] went up for pre-order today:

https://www.amiami.com/eng/detail?gcode=TOY-SCL3-39475

Its molded in full colour, so not as pointless as you might think.
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
greg

Post by greg »

Well, buttcrap. My preorder at E2046 for the R-Type Leo garage kit got cancelled. Nuts. Since they issued me store credit instead of a refund, I bought a garage kit of Shantae instead. Then later I found out that the non-recast version is readily available. I built her rather quickly. I like the skintone I gave her rather than the example picture she came with.
Undamned is the leading English-speaking expert on the consolized UD-CPS2 because he's the one who made it.
Sly Cherry Chunks

Figmas are here!
What is this goofy colour scheme? The packaging for these figures was branded "R-Type Final 2" which makes me think they're going to reissue this later down the road with a nice two-tone grey/silver colour scheme and re-brand it "R-Type Delta Edition". They also missed a great opportunity to toy-ify this ship - Figma's Rynex and Iron Fossil had some great articulated parts and if you remember the original game, Albatross had a recoiling cannon and a lower fin that would move based on what speed you selected. Panel work is mostly excellent, some sloppiness here and there - the instruction manual mentions that these are hand painted. Instruction manual also mention not to leave them in direct sunlight which has me concerned about the grey plastic - I recently took my X-Multiply gasha out of storage and it's now a lovely shade of brown. A small panel is included to cover the hole for the stand but as this thing can't land, why would it ever be off the stand?

Probably the ship that most people want, mine has a big gap between the canopy and the main body, noticeable if you look at it directly from the side. Those weird claw things on the side of the craft are stuck in place - they should be articulated. If you remember, they are what held Anchor Force's chain in the original game and would rotate as the force moved around your ship. The red paint apps are very dull over the black, could have done with being a bit more vibrant but that wolf decal is awesome.

Each individual segment of Tentacle Force's arms is articulated but the movement is too limited to recreate the 'closed' position from the game. These things are unassembled out of the box and I'm concerned about the microscopic little pegs holding it together, as well as those needle-like guns that are less than a millimetre thick. What I do appreciate is the day-glow, fluorescent orange plastic used on the ball. Photos don't capture how bright it looks! Albatross has some massive spikes on the back which I dont remember.

Anchor Force lookin cool with some Figma joints for that chompin action. I'm sure this thing should be coloured grey like the other one though. Not pictured are the piddly bits/shield orbs included. They seem far too small to scale with the craft and look really dumb on the end of the stands, if you've seen pictures. You only get two to share between the ships, so only one can be fully-armed.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Yeah, that's a weird color choice. I have the figma Styx and Rynex sitting on my desk, but I really do want to get some more ships eventually.

Did anyone get the Kyuukyoku Tiger helicopter kit? http://www.rc-berg.co.jp/products/galle ... tiger.html
jehu

Post by jehu »

Steven wrote:Yeah, that's a weird color choice. I have the figma Styx and Rynex sitting on my desk, but I really do want to get some more ships eventually.

Did anyone get the Kyuukyoku Tiger helicopter kit? http://www.rc-berg.co.jp/products/galle ... tiger.html
I picked one up, but haven't put it together yet. Have to try and find someone who could help with the painting side of the project.

(Very cool R-Type figures - and photographed especially well.)
Sly Cherry Chunks

BOOTLEGS NOT EVEN ONCE
Spoiler

Comparison with an old bootlegged kit I picked up around 2005. This thing didn't look too bad when I first built it but just look at the state of it now. The topcoat I used here yellowed after about a month hence the browneriffic colour scheme but holy shit - look at that canopy! Thats 15+ years of cheap resin yellowing underneath that Tamiya clear blue (Katakis edition :wink: ). This was a rush-job, I just grabbed whatever colours I had to hand and whats curious is how the quesQ figure seems to match my colour scheme more closely than the game-art. The 13B Specter's original isn't too far off though. Anyway - bootlegs kids, just say no!

A great option for people without the time or patience to build one of the great kits out nowadays, plus - you get bits! There's little hope of me ever matching this paintjob in my lifetime - just look at that pin-striping and the R-9 lettering on the force there. Also the 'frosted' finish on the force ball - this was shot in my dingy basement and it's still catching the light somehow. Those bits look edible! You get a whole bunch of spare rods so you can display the bits on each side of the craft instead of above and below. There are some extra sections of the base included which can extend the stand, attaching with microscopic little clips plus there's an attachment to allow the force to be displayed in the 'X' position rather than the '+' position. All these extra parts were sealed in the tray underneath a big sheet of sticky back plastic and once you peel that off, you're never going to get all that stuff back in the box as neatly so that was a bit weird. The stand looks really cool but its light plastic and this thing could've probably used something a bit heavier, I don't want my $100+ toy spaceship going anywhere. The section holding the force isn't attached to the main section and it's a little top-heavy.

Some of quesQ products might be a little questionable but they can have my money any day. Don't snitch on me! Ragnarok ships anytime now and I think we're in for a treat!
pablumatic

Post by pablumatic »

I got that new R-9A Arrowhead too. Its a great little model. The best looking of all the pre-made R-9s I've got over the years.
Air Master Burst

Post by Air Master Burst »

Plum just announced a 3rd Vic Viper model kit, this time it looks like it's from Gradius II. They already have the Vic Vipers from 4 and 5 and I'm told they're very nice kits! Good color separation, the panel lines are a bit shallow but nothing a quick scribe job won't fix. These appear to be MUCH nicer than the old Kotobukiya Zone of Enders Vic Viper, although that one does have the mech transformation.

Hopefully this means we get a proper Lord British kit at some point, too!
King's Field IV is the best Souls game.
Sly Cherry Chunks

This was announced a while ago but we're getting nice Silver Hawk kit:

https://www.pmoa.co.jp/product/333.html

And also we're getting a re-release of the old Next kit that I missed out on the last couple of times

https://www.pmoa.co.jp/product/347.html

Heres the thing though - the Silver Hawk is listed as 1/144 which would make it a monster besides the Next. :?
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Those look kickass. If I weren't trying to curb purchases of stuff thanks to my apartment getting full I'd jump in on both the Silver Hawk & Gradius II Viper.
gray117

Post by gray117 »

plum/pa office have been doing some real good stuff... I still have to get round to building and painting though - just collecting boxes atm :/

Having said that... In lieu of a proper model, if I wanted to just do a red one (+/- a bit of modding), anyone more knowledgeable about airplanes know what the closest real plane to match to the fire shark plane would be (as a starting point)?
SF Kosmo

Post by SF Kosmo »

Sly Cherry Chunks wrote:This was announced a while ago but we're getting nice Silver Hawk kit:

https://www.pmoa.co.jp/product/333.html

And also we're getting a re-release of the old Next kit that I missed out on the last couple of times

https://www.pmoa.co.jp/product/347.html

Heres the thing though - the Silver Hawk is listed as 1/144 which would make it a monster besides the Next. :?
I picked this up recently. It doesn't seem bigger than the Next. I don't own that kit but using the stand for reference it's comparable or maybe even slightly smaller.

https://i.imgur.com/Nc9weMx.jpeg

It's pretty nice, better engineered than the other Plum kits I have built like the Gradius IV Vic Viper or TwinBee. I know there's a little bit of a debate as to whether the Silver Hawk is white or metallic. This kit is neither but it does seem to pick a side, with a gray plastic and undergated parts, which is something you usually see in metallic finish kits. I painted it a light matte aluminum, which looks about how I pictured it in the games, though others might prefer something glossier and more polished.

Doesn't really require any delicate gluing though some bits will be a little loose if you don't, but at least everything pegs in securely, so nothing is hard to glue (unlike the nightmare tail fin in the Gradius kit).

My wife gave me permission to make a diorama using her taxidermied piranha, and I am excited for the project.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Are there seriously no kits of any of the 16-bit Soldier fighters? I was looking and only found one simple molded version of the 8-bit ship.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

That'd be ace if a plastic model kit of the SIA fightercraft & accompanying Gunbody mecha sidekick was made/released -- it'd certainly bring the PCE/TG-16 oil painting artwork of Soldier Blade to life indeed.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

Man do all these kits look sexy. Just afraid to start collecting these things. Kinda am over the whole collecting thing, but if I ever started again, I might give some shump kits a go. Are these painted yourselves or do they come painted?
Steven

Post by Steven »

New Plum R-9A kit for Final 3 Evolved: https://www.pmoa.co.jp/product/353.html

Not sure what the difference between the Final 2 and Final 3 Evolved R-9A is (nothing?), but it still looks nice.
Sly Cherry Chunks

Steven wrote:Not sure what the difference between the Final 2 and Final 3 Evolved R-9A is (nothing?), but it still looks nice.
This is the first edition of the kit that comes with x2 bits/shield orbs. Also, the rear end has been retooled slightly so that there is only one stripe (previously two). The 2013 "R-Type Final 1" edition of this kit is getting reissued this year too which again, is a slightly different model.
Steven

Post by Steven »

They look completely identical to me...
Spoiler

Sly Cherry Chunks

Old kit ->Image Image<- New kit
Steven

Post by Steven »

The kit is different. I mean the actual in-game thing.
Sly Cherry Chunks

Thought I'd crossed over into the berenstein universe for a second there. Turns out the in-game ship always had one stripe even though the box art and title screen for RTF2 has two. So if you want a model accurate to the in-game asset, you're going to have to buy the kit again.
Sly Cherry Chunks

greg

Post by greg »

Plum's booth at the All-Japan Model Hobby Show last month had plenty of shmup models on display. I attended and took these photos.

Undamned is the leading English-speaking expert on the consolized UD-CPS2 because he's the one who made it.
Sly Cherry Chunks

Sly Cherry Chunks wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:09 am What are the odds that if we wait a little longer they'll do shadow force too?
Darn I didn't wait long enough!

https://www.amiami.com/eng/detail?gcode=FIGURE-166739
leadwing85

Post by leadwing85 »

wow, the r type models are beautiful..
ive had the og wonderfest2004 ddp type 1 for years and still scared to put it together to this day :/
Long Live STG!