Capcom Arcade Stadium 2 Announced (GunSmoke, ECO Fighters)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BrianC

Re: Capcom Arcade Stadium 2 Announced (GunSmoke, ECO Fighter

Post by BrianC »

MJR wrote:
bigbadboaz wrote:Which version
Please reread my post :roll:
Maybe he's asking which console version of Capcom Arcade Stadium 2 got updated? They don't always get updated at the exact same time.
SPM

Post by SPM »

MJR wrote:Well, well, well..

Looks like Capcom arcade stadium has been quietly patched; if you now play EN rom of Section Z, the level bosses die with just few hits, just as they should. :)
Which version? Switch plays exactly the same as before :? both ROMs are the Japanese (and without slowdown, the best way to experience this game IMO)

The first boss in the Japanese ROM can die quickly sometimes, there's some technique (and luck) to it, but the international version is always fast (not the case in CAS-Switch after playing 1 credit). The difference in the rest of the bosses isn't that big, particularly the worm that dies in one shot.
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
MJR

Post by MJR »

SPM wrote:
MJR wrote:Well, well, well..

Looks like Capcom arcade stadium has been quietly patched; if you now play EN rom of Section Z, the level bosses die with just few hits, just as they should. :)
Which version? Switch plays exactly the same as before :? both ROMs are the Japanese (and without slowdown, the best way to experience this game IMO)

The first boss in the Japanese ROM can die quickly sometimes, there's some technique (and luck) to it, but the international version is always fast (not the case in CAS-Switch after playing 1 credit). The difference in the rest of the bosses isn't that big, particularly the worm that dies in one shot.
I see. I have been always playing Capcom Arcade Stadium with Switch. International version in Section-Z has always contained MUCH easier bosses that die MUCH faster, at least with my skills. This was true in PS2 and Xbo360 collections as well as with my version of Mame. Switch version until now had the bosses taking exactly same amount of hits, being true to japanese version. This has now changed.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

MJR wrote: Please reread my post :roll:
Which version of Capcom Stadium, idiot? If you've been in here, you know they have a history of patching the Switch version while shafting the PS4 customers.

**I see you have just answered to the next poster above. There was no need for the attitude when my question was perfectly clear and you were the one unaware of the patch history.**
SPM

Post by SPM »

MJR wrote:Switch version until now had the bosses taking exactly same amount of hits, being true to japanese version. This has now changed.
I know what you mean, but has it? The current CAS version I have on Switch is v1.09 (in Europe, maybe it's been updated elsewhere?) and it works exactly as before, EN=JP. The first boss is still usually a bullet sponge, something that doesn't happen in the international ROM, but sometimes it dies quickly. Could that be your experience? The laser turrets afterwards die from 1 hit in the international version and 2 hits in the japanese, the latter is what happens to me in CAS even with the "EN ROM". If you reach that point underpowered (to be able to shoot individual shots) do they die in 1 hit? Not my experience so far.
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
MJR

Post by MJR »

SPM wrote:
MJR wrote:Switch version until now had the bosses taking exactly same amount of hits, being true to japanese version. This has now changed.
I know what you mean, but has it? The current CAS version I have on Switch is v1.09 (in Europe, maybe it's been updated elsewhere?) and it works exactly as before, EN=JP. The first boss is still usually a bullet sponge, something that doesn't happen in the international ROM, but sometimes it dies quickly. Could that be your experience? The laser turrets afterwards die from 1 hit in the international version and 2 hits in the japanese, the latter is what happens to me in CAS even with the "EN ROM". If you reach that point underpowered (to be able to shoot individual shots) do they die in 1 hit? Not my experience so far.
Now look.. I've been putting massive amount of hours to Section Z for many years on multiple plaforms, so I dont need you to second guessing my experiences. If you didn't have the same experience as I did, I'm sorry to hear it.
SPM

Post by SPM »

:roll: I was trying to help and find out about this "patch", don't need to get so defensive.

Anyway, ver 1.0.9 on Switch does NOT have the international ROM of Section Z, that I can tell. Anything more recent than that? Maybe, who knows.
MJR

Post by MJR »

SPM wrote::roll: I was trying to help and find out about this "patch", don't need to get so defensive.

Anyway, ver 1.0.9 on Switch does NOT have the international ROM of Section Z, that I can tell. Anything more recent than that? Maybe, who knows.
I apologize for my grumpiness, I havent been able to sleep well lately.

Maybe I should look into this more carefully later, only thing I noticed for sure that for a very long time, I wasnt able to get the first two bosses killed in both japanese roms and switch versions, and now on switch they die in few shots, just like they do in international version normally. Thus I made the conclusion.
MJR

Post by MJR »

I tested Section Z today on Capcom Arcade Cabinet on Xbox360 (the best emulation so far), on both japanese and international roms. To my severe discredit, I found that the first two bosses are not that different, after all on both of them. Considerable difference is the lvl3 boss ships and the mothership that spawns green jetback goblins, which only take damage on the japanese version when they have a small red "bulb" appearing on them. In international version, they die rather quickly. Also, the green one-eyed aliens and green rockets that spawn clouds take considerably more damage in the japanese version. So I'm afraid I have to redact my previous statements. I also found out that I've been playing the switch version on hardest difficulty setting, since I've been only playing it on special challenge 1 - mode. Normal mode has considerably slower enemy movement.
Leandro

Post by Leandro »

Anyone that has Eco Fighters knows if we can bind the right analog stick to control the knob? Instead of using buttons

Enviado de meu 2201116SG usando o Tapatalk
SPM

Post by SPM »

Appreciate the reply MJR. No worries! :wink:
Leandro wrote:Anyone that has Eco Fighters knows if we can bind the right analog stick to control the knob? Instead of using buttons
You can, and I'd recommend setting the rotation speed to 5 instead of the default 3. It feels more responsive that way.
Leandro

Post by Leandro »

SPM wrote:Appreciate the reply MJR. No worries! :wink:
Leandro wrote:Anyone that has Eco Fighters knows if we can bind the right analog stick to control the knob? Instead of using buttons
You can, and I'd recommend setting the rotation speed to 5 instead of the default 3. It feels more responsive that way.
Nice, thanks [THUMBS UP SIGN]

Enviado de meu 2201116SG usando o Tapatalk
velo

Post by velo »

velo wrote:
SPM wrote:individual titles in CAS2 now 50% off (only Switch and PS4)

2 bucks, like the original prices in CAS1
They're all down to 1.99 now, non-sale price. .99 sale will probably be along eventually.
.99 sale is on :lol: And now I'm giving stuff like Pnickies a second look.

Well, how playable is Saturday Night Slam Masters really? Can you just cheese it with turbo, or what?
BEAMLORD

Post by BEAMLORD »

Just checked the UK PSN, and it's blowing my mind, the price of these games currently. Like, you can buy Progear for £1.69. Progear.

Praise be.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Puzzle Fighter is fun. I wish it had a proper endless mode rather than fights against cheating AI who unleash super moves to win at the last minute.
MaXXX

Post by MaXXX »

Am I right in thinking that in Progear, "Easy" in CAS correspond to Arcade difficulty? When it's set to "Normal" it seems harder than I remember.

Thanks
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

It's somewhere earlier in this topic, but yes Progear's default difficulty is wrong in Capcom Arcade Stadium. For the US/EU regions it should be difficulty 2 but defaults to 4.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
MJR

Post by MJR »

Many of the games seem to have their difficulty settings thrown off the rails. Forgotten Worlds is nearly impossible on normal score attack, and I have been able to 1cc it for years, now.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Ah, this is a shame. I saw someone who owns the PCB saying that Makaimura runs at a funny speed and just generally feels a bit 'off', too. Anyone able to confirm this?

Slightly off-topic, but does anyone know if the difficulty settings were also incorrect on the PS2 Capcom Classics discs (which collect largely the same games)? I've had Vol. 1 for 15+ years but haven't spent much time with it, really, and have just picked up Vol. 2 today. It'd be good to know if I should be tweaking and saving a bunch of options before I get stuck in. :P
Sima Tuna wrote:Puzzle Fighter is fun. I wish it had a proper endless mode rather than fights against cheating AI who unleash super moves to win at the last minute.
I'm trying to learn to play this competently at the moment, but it does feel like the opponents are always either too easy (so that both of us are farting around at the bottom of the well with four gems on the screen) or too hard (so that they finish me off with one move from around 1/4 of the way up the well). Do I need to be paying more attention to their moves and trying to block them?
BIL

Post by BIL »

Klatrymadon wrote:Slightly off-topic, but does anyone know if the difficulty settings were also incorrect on the PS2 Capcom Classics discs (which collect largely the same games)? I've had Vol. 1 for 15+ years but haven't spent much time with it, really, and have just picked up Vol. 2 today. It'd be good to know if I should be tweaking and saving a bunch of options before I get stuck in. :P
CCC Vol. 1 was largely a cobbling of the PS1's Capcom Generation ports, whose five volumes were individual releases in NTSCJ, and a four-pack in PAL (the fifth, a Street Fighter II collection, was sold standalone in NTSCU and afaik PAL).

I've only ever played the NTSCJ Generation discs, but they tend to be very accurate to their equivalent regions. I know Daimakaimura and Gun.Smoke are dead-on, the former's infamously too-dark BG layers aside. It's been going on twenty years since I dabbled in the NTSCU PS2 Capcom Classics Collection, but I recall it having very similar options menus, making me suspect they ported those straight over from PS1. (they also added interlacing and removed TATE, sadly)

I'm not sure what the situation might be for the PAL Generation discs, which CCC might've used for all I know (given it has Ghosts n' Goblins rather than Makaimura, Commando instead of Senjou no Okami, etc). But they at least weren't starting from a bad place.

All this to say, if CCC is boned after all, you might consider the PS1 discs. :mrgreen:
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Cheers BIL! I do have Capcom Generation Vol. 2 (actually a really nice hardback book variant called Capcom Retro Game Collection), but I had no idea the CCC discs carried anything over from them. My CCC Vol. 1 is a US copy, but I grabbed a PAL copy for Vol. 2, because it has a 60hz option. I guess I'll just have to test some of the games against MAME emulations or something. :)
BIL

Post by BIL »

Oh yeah, those reissue books are great! They also did one for Strider (lovely port by ex-DECO staff, was previously packed-in with Strider 2), and Tenchi wo Kurau II (which is pretty nice, but much better on Saturn; SS ver lacks the mid-stage loading, and has a really wild Arrange mode with almost AVP-style air combos).

Worth noting that all five Generations were also on Saturn, but as often happened with ports of older games (see also the Konami Deluxe Packs, and Rockman X3), the Saturn can't replicate those low resolutions the way PS1 can, resorting to cropped screens; definitely better going with the PS1 Generation discs.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Am I right in thinking that in Progear, "Easy" in CAS correspond to Arcade difficulty? When it's set to "Normal" it seems harder than I remember.

the whole tale is in the Capcom Arcade Stadium 1 thread
bobhasashotgun

Post by bobhasashotgun »

I was wondering, since people have been noticing differences between the jp and en versions of the games, such as difficulty, has anyone done a lag test to see in both versions preform the same? It might just be wishful thinking, but lag in this collection does seem to vary from game to game. It would be good to know if one version of Gigawing preformed better then the other.
MJR

Post by MJR »

bobhasashotgun wrote:I was wondering, since people have been noticing differences between the jp and en versions of the games, such as difficulty, has anyone done a lag test to see in both versions preform the same? It might just be wishful thinking, but lag in this collection does seem to vary from game to game. It would be good to know if one version of Gigawing preformed better then the other.
Lag is usually dictated by the emulation code, platform and hardware used. Under same emulation software and same hardware it is extremely unlikely that having different rom would make any difference. If it did, it would have to show even on original hardware.

In short, I don't think so.
FunktionJCB

Re: Capcom Arcade Stadium 2 Announced (GunSmoke, ECO Fighters)

Post by FunktionJCB »

Sorry for bumping this thread, but has anyone heard about more titles making it to this release (or may a Capcom Arcade 3rd Stadium being released)?

I find myself coming back to both volumes more and more, since they provide a quick, "pick up and play" option to play these titles, and with plenty of easily tweakable options.
And, after updates, I find the emulation very solid and responsive (Steam version).

It would be great to get another volume, with some of the missing titles (and maybe a licensed property or two?).
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

If anyone's interested Humble is offering a bundle containing everything in both Capcom Arcade Stadium releases plus some other stuff for 20 bucks.
AGermanArtist

Post by AGermanArtist »

I've got the PS4 version on PS5 and this is the second time I've noticed a loud buzzing sound when selecting a game. Anyone else got this issue? I've messaged Capcom, but no reply.
AGermanArtist

Post by AGermanArtist »

Klatrymadon wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:39 pm That's interesting - I use a Brook Universal Fighting Board for my Switch stick and still find that some games feel oddly floaty when hooked up to our main TV. The TV is set to 'gaming mode' but I'm wondering if it's creating some lag anyway - it's a big dumb 60" thing. Need to try it on my much smaller monitor for gaming.

I've been playing the Capcom collections on PC, where the stick lag seems fine, but I'm probably going to double-dip on PS4 eventually - does the stick issue persist there?
I found a noticeable improvement using an 8-Bit-Do wireless stick over my wired Streetfighter Ryu Hori stick on Switch. It was equal to using a pro controller Vs the Hori stick. I got rid of the Hori to CEX.
AGermanArtist

Post by AGermanArtist »

Wow OK, the buzzing only seems to be very prominent with some of the games - Vulgus/Higemaru/1942/Commando/Section Z/Gn'G while the rest it seems less obvious, but still there.
I deleted the whole thing and re-downloaded and it's still the same.