Better without Autofire

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BIL

Re: Better without Autofire

Post by BIL »

Fingolfin wrote:Goddamn!
BrainΦΠΦTemple’s awesome eclectic electronica makes me want to “touch my monkey”!

Sieg fucking heil to our great overlord, the massive monster of mash!

“yeah okAy, kant“
You say Kant, I say Kunt! :mrgreen:

As Samwise sez “Boil ‘em, mash ‘em, stick ‘em in a stew….”

[Dem belly full but they hungry, evidently.]

What pray tell are these magic “hand exercises”? — feels like this thread won’t be complete until you share your antidote to carpal tunnel syndrome/repetitive strain injuries.

Of course shit can be googled but this seems way better:
nothing like going to THE AUTHORITY.

Do you have nothing to share but EGO, your superplays (which are genuinely impressive but who cares w/ all of this?), weak keys and comps, and thoroughly unpersuasive and meta Übermensch text? (mostly a rhetorical question but given the nature of this site we’re all game ;) ).

Thus Spake Zarathustra or rather BrainΦΠΦTemple.

Got to go cheat my way to another very satisfying 75 quarter 1cc?!?!?

I think this thread is touching all our monkeys... but sometimes... monkey is touching you! :shock:
BrainΦΠΦTemple

Post by BrainΦΠΦTemple »

cOntinue to argue for your limitationz, guyz. gO ahead and keep them. i dOn't give a fuCk, and to the guy who wrote a post tHat lookz like a review to some young adult novel on goodreadz, i already explained hOw to do hand exercises, so it ain't my fault you missed it (and bernd kistenmacher, a highly regarded and influential berlin school composer from the 80s told me tHat kristallgeist is awesome, and if he thinkz sO, then i must be doin' somethin' right)
i mean, i'm actually being attacked w/ bullsHit ad hominems 'n sHit lmao
i've nOt attacked a person directly, only argumentz. the fact tHat this is such a brutally sensitive topic is cOmplete evidence of people's insecurities tOwardz mashing.
i'm hitler =D
i like how nietzsche is just brOught up for no reason too. yAy more desperate smaCkz of pseudointellectualism =DD
name dropping philosopherz dOesn't make you look smart, nor does it make you win an argument. it's pathetic tO bring nietzsche up in a conversation abOut video games lol
the electronic music remArk is also a desperate and pathetic low blow bit of desperation and off-topic nonsense.
It is the player who plays the game and decides whether the game is fun or not.
 Therefore, it is the player who decides whether or not the game will be fun with the rapid-fire device, and it is the store that decides whether or not it should be installed.
 As a manufacturer, the most important thing is that the games we make are fun to play, so as long as there are no particular problems, we don't question the pros and cons of rapid-fire devices.
peOple suck at our game and don't wanna play it because mashing is tOo hard for them, so go ahead and abuse 30hz rapid-fire. we have a business tO run.

ubermensch mAsher out ^-^7
Last edited by BrainΦΠΦTemple on Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:08 am, edited 10 times in total.
nO-miss superplAyz i \m/ash in shmupz + mOsh w/ ur mom
berlin schOol albums | sOundcloud
new albUm:Kristallgeist
"Here is a molding synthesis creator with a strong personality. It needs to be better known." --rockliquias.com's reviEw of "kristallgeist"
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

BrainΦΠΦTemple wrote:good lOrd, your post is a mess. holy sHit x.X
Hypocrite.

BrainΦΠΦTemple wrote:like seriously, wHat a hilariously low resolution little platitude to cope w/ your flagrantly seething insecurities lol
You'll have to forgive me for apparently being unclear here, but when I referred to "masochism" here I'm talking about it in the physical sense: taking pleasure in receiving physical pain. I think there's a rather significant difference between putting in hard work and effort to create something like an artistic work or to play a really difficult game well which can involve stress and effort, and doing something in a deliberately inefficient way that risks giving yourself an unnecessary physical injury. It's entirely possible to do the former things in ways that maximize your physical safety.

Skydiving and climbing Everest are also rather dumb in my opinion and the tourists who do it are adrenaline seekers who don't care about the lives they put at risk in the process, however "minimal" the risks may or may not be. Many physical sports like American Football and Boxing strike me as barbaric; we're watching athletes get brain injuries or even get killed for society's entertainment.

BrainΦΠΦTemple wrote:jesus christ, why are hand exercises seen as sOme arcane and incredibly difficult and complicatedly abstract thing?
Since when has anyone in this thread said this? The question is not whether or not hand exercises are easy to do, but rather whether or not they'd make a difference. You yourself said "it is a spOrt. it is nO different than excelling at other thingz" - you do realize trained athletes exercise regularly and still manage to hurt themselves playing their sport, right? Exercise being good doesn't mean mashing as a shmup mechanic is good, and exercise is not a panacea to magically prevent any and all hand injury from playing a mashing intense game for hours. Exercise is not a guarantee against a finger or hand injury.

blazinglazers69 wrote:I was being tongue-in-cheek for the most part with my comment about throwing away quarters on every continue in a shooter, but since I'm in the midst of such a shmup purist, I must ask--where does the line for "cheating" between the modern shmup experience and the pure analog origins of the 80s arcade scene lie for you?

For example, are you sure your lever and button tensions match the exact specifications of all the original cabinets you're using? I mean, since there's clearly no room for arbitrary grey areas here, I am assuming you're not using easier to press sanwa buttons??? You're not being a liar about how HARD you MASH those buttons right? Because there's clearly a significant difference between buttons and how much strength is required in the finger to press different kinds.
Just wanted to say this is a fantastic point. One cannot extol the virtues of button mashing without recognizing they are in a position of privilege being able to play on very modern, responsive hardware, compared to the relatively stiff levers and buttons of the past. Which is why I'm sure BT did not/could not respond to it.
Last edited by BareKnuckleRoo on Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
BrainΦΠΦTemple

Post by BrainΦΠΦTemple »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:
BrainΦΠΦTemple wrote:good lOrd, your post is a mess. holy sHit x.X
Hypocrite.

BrainΦΠΦTemple wrote:like seriously, wHat a hilariously low resolution little platitude to cope w/ your flagrantly seething insecurities lol
You'll have to forgive me for apparently being unclear here, but when I referred to "masochism" here I'm talking about it in the physical sense: taking pleasure in receiving physical pain. I think there's a rather significant difference between putting in hard work and effort to create something like an artistic work or to play a really difficult game well which can involve stress and effort, and doing something in a deliberately inefficient way that risks giving yourself an unnecessary physical injury. It's entirely possible to do the former things in ways that maximize your physical safety.

Skydiving and climbing Everest are also rather dumb in my opinion and the tourists who do it are adrenaline seekers who don't care about the lives they put at risk in the process, however "minimal" the risks may or may not be. Many physical sports like American Football and Boxing strike me as barbaric; we're watching athletes get brain injuries or even get killed for society's entertainment.

BrainΦΠΦTemple wrote:jesus christ, why are hand exercises seen as sOme arcane and incredibly difficult and complicatedly abstract thing?
Since when has anyone in this thread said this? The question is not whether or not hand exercises are easy to do, but rather whether or not they'd make a difference. You yourself said "it is a spOrt. it is nO different than excelling at other thingz" - you do realize trained athletes exercise regularly and still manage to hurt themselves playing their sport, right? Exercise being good doesn't mean mashing as a shmup mechanic is good, and exercise is not a panacea to magically prevent any and all hand injury from playing a mashing intense game for hours. Exercise is not a guarantee against a finger or hand injury.

blazinglazers69 wrote:I was being tongue-in-cheek for the most part with my comment about throwing away quarters on every continue in a shooter, but since I'm in the midst of such a shmup purist, I must ask--where does the line for "cheating" between the modern shmup experience and the pure analog origins of the 80s arcade scene lie for you?

For example, are you sure your lever and button tensions match the exact specifications of all the original cabinets you're using? I mean, since there's clearly no room for arbitrary grey areas here, I am assuming you're not using easier to press sanwa buttons??? You're not being a liar about how HARD you MASH those buttons right? Because there's clearly a significant difference between buttons and how much strength is required in the finger to press different kinds.
Just wanted to say this is a fantastic point. One cannot extol the virtues of button mashing without recognizing they are in a position of privilege being able to play on very modern, responsive hardware, compared to the relatively stiff levers and buttons of the past. Which is why I'm sure BT did not/could not respond to it.
i'm better at games than yOu are uwu

ubermensch mAsher out again =B
"Here is a molding synthesis creator with a strong personality. It needs to be better known." --rockliquias.com's reviEw of "kristallgeist"
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

I missed this earlier:
BrainΦΠΦTemple, who is now resorting to lying for sympathy wrote:i've been referred to by bareknuckleroo over discord as a fidget spinning autistic for mashing and also called a tryhard.
Whoa there. If you're going to start lying, I'll start posting screenshots. Remember, you're the one who came crying to me on Discord expecting me to agree that all autofire users are just lazy cheaters and empathize with your, uh, plight.

For context, I responded to your comment that "my mEssage is one autistic as fuCk text wall" wherein you yammered on about cheating much like in this thread and showed a total lack of regard or empathy for why people would not want to button mash ("also, if you have a hand injury or amputation then yOu aren't gonna be doing superplayz anytime sOon xD" - I bet your friend Juno you mentioned a few pages back would love hearing you suggest he'll never be a really good player because he's got a physical handicap) with:
me, on Discord, having my time wasted wrote:re: galaga or space invaders, why would anyone play those with autofire? there's a shot limit on screen with a low cap, it wouldn't be of benefit to the player. It's an irrelevant comparison. R-Type has a higher shot limit on screen and much faster projectile speed, so it directly rewards and encourages hammering the button fast, but doing so is strenuous and results on wear on both the body and the buttons for the game itself.

"also, if you have a hand injury or amputation then yOu aren't gonna be doing superplayz anytime sOon xD"

Says who? Who are you to tell someone who presses buttons using a modified setup with their feet that they're never going to be good player? Yikes.

Autism is often characterized by a fundamental lack of empathy or a lack of Theory of Mind in the sense of being able to imagine and connect with other people's emotional and physical state/needs, so yes, your writing is a massively autistic text wall.

You might think it's sour grapes, but most people who find joy in mashing the same button for hours invest in a fidget spinner. It's cheaper.

My spaceship's got laser cannons and bombs but it's got a semi automatic pistol and I'm expected to fire it constantly non stop? lolno

I mean how fortunate that you don't have arthritis and apparently don't know anyone with arthritis and therefore don't have to invest any effort in imagining why mandating high speed rhythmic button mashing might not be ideal game design.
and another earlier, relevant snippit in the conversation:
me again wrote:what autofire rate though? 30 hz is clearly going to break some games, but if the autofire is set to something humanly acheievable, what's the difference?

If you're going to claim that avoiding repetitive stress injuries isn't a good thing then there's no point in continuing this conversation further

I love videogames but I have a family to support and a job I am responsible for, as do many others. I can't hurt myself unnecessarily for the sake of a shmup, and nor should anyone need to
to which you responded:
BrainΦΠΦTemple wrote:but to be bluntly honest, tHat's not a reasoned argument. you're ultimately just conceding to a cop out of saying, "i'm just nOt hardcore enough and don't have enough time or patience."

like, are you gOnna have to quit your job or something because yOu gotta learn r-type 1 without autofire?
This, for the record, is absolutely an idiotic tryhard kind of attitude, much like your posts in this thread have been. But hilariously, I'd like to point out that I only used the word "tryhard" once in our Discord conversation, when referring to myself:
me wrote:Trust me, I used to be in tryhard category as a kid and scoffed at the idea of using autofire

Then I grew up and realized I was wrong

It's not just black and white

Your ranting in this thread is literally a rehash of our conversation on Discord on March 3rd. If you're going to continue posting false, defamatory remarks about me that mischaracterize our private conversation, I will simply post the screenshots.
Last edited by BareKnuckleRoo on Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
PerishedFraud ឵឵

Post by PerishedFraud ឵឵ »

BIL wrote:^ Heed this warning! Otherwise... You Will See The Birth Of New Black_Man.txts (`w´メ)
Metal Blackman.txt 8)
Spoiler
aaaaaaaaaaeeeeeeeeeeee
To brainy, consider the following:
Spoiler
Daggerfall and Ristar are two popular video games from the 90s. While both of them have their own Unique features, it can be argued that Daggerfall is a better game than Ristar. This is because Daggerfall offers a more immersive experience with its vast open-World environment and deep storyline. It also has a greater variety of quests and activities to keep players engaged for longer periods of time. Moreover, the game's combat system is more complex and strategic compared to Ristar's simplistic approach. All these factors make Daggerfall a better choice for gamers who want an engaging and immersive experience.

Daggerfall, the second installment of The Elder Scrolls series, is renowned for its unique and captivating gameplay mechanics. Its open-world nature allows players to explore and interact with an immense environment as they embark on their quest. It features a variety of innovative features such as dynamic weather, randomly generated dungeons, and a wide range of character customization options. All these components come together to create an immersive experience that keeps players engaged for hours on end.

Ristar is a 2D platformer game developed by Sega in 1995. The game features unique gameplay mechanics that make it stand out among other platformers. These mechanics include the ability to grab Onto enemies and objects with Ristar's extendable arms, as well as the ability to use his star spin attack to defeat enemies and traverse levels. Additionally, the game features a wide variety of levels with different objectives, puzzles and secrets for players to discover. The combination of these unique mechanics makes Ristar one of the most innovative games of its time and a classic among gamers today.

Video games have come a long way since the days of pixelated graphics and blocky characters. With the advances in technology, video game developers are now able to create realistic worlds and characters that can capture the attention of players for hours on end.

Realism in video games has become increasingly popular as it allows players to immerse themselves in a virtual world that feels more like reality. This realism can be achieved through improved graphics, detailed environments, lifelike characters and realistic physics. Realism in video games also helps to create an emotional connection between the player and the game as they can relate to the characters or situations they encounter.

Realism in video games is a great way for developers to challenge players with engaging and stimulating experiences. It also provides an opportunity for gamers to explore their own creativity as they interact with their virtual environment.

Games with unique art styles have become increasingly popular in the gaming industry. An artstyle is part of a game's identity. It can mean the difference between a 3/10 and a 7/10 game, for example. These games provide players with an immersive experience that can be both visually and emotionally stimulating. They also create a sense of nostalgia as they often evoke memories of classic games from the past.

Unique art styles can give players an opportunity to explore different worlds and settings, while still providing them with a familiar gaming experience. This allows developers to create games that are more creative and stand out from the rest of the crowd. It also encourages gamers to think outside of the box when it comes to their gaming experience, as they must consider how different elements will interact with each other in order to progress in the game.

Are you looking for a unique gaming experience? Then you should definitely check out Ristar and Daggerfall! These two classic games offer an immersive gaming experience that will leave you wanting more. Both games feature engaging storylines and challenge, making them perfect for any type of gamer. Whether you're a fan of platformers or RPGs, these two titles are sure to provide hours of entertainment. So what are you waiting for? Play both Ristar and Daggerfall today!
Fun Over Victory| Shitpost Central | Shmusic Archive | Old Account | tuckfouhou@gmail.com
BrainΦΠΦTemple

Post by BrainΦΠΦTemple »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:I missed this earlier:
BrainΦΠΦTemple, who is now resorting to lying for sympathy wrote:i've been referred to by bareknuckleroo over discord as a fidget spinning autistic for mashing and also called a tryhard.
Whoa there. If you're going to start lying, I'll start posting screenshots. Remember, you're the one who came crying to me on Discord expecting me to agree that all autofire users are just lazy cheaters and empathize with your, uh, plight.

For context, I responded to your comment that "my mEssage is one autistic as fuCk text wall" wherein you yammered on about cheating much like in this thread and showed a total lack of regard or empathy for why people would not want to button mash ("also, if you have a hand injury or amputation then yOu aren't gonna be doing superplayz anytime sOon xD" - I bet your friend Juno you mentioned a few pages back would love hearing you suggest he'll never be a really good player because he's got a physical handicap) with:
me, on Discord, having my time wasted wrote:re: galaga or space invaders, why would anyone play those with autofire? there's a shot limit on screen with a low cap, it wouldn't be of benefit to the player. It's an irrelevant comparison. R-Type has a higher shot limit on screen and much faster projectile speed, so it directly rewards and encourages hammering the button fast, but doing so is strenuous and results on wear on both the body and the buttons for the game itself.

"also, if you have a hand injury or amputation then yOu aren't gonna be doing superplayz anytime sOon xD"

Says who? Who are you to tell someone who presses buttons using a modified setup with their feet that they're never going to be good player? Yikes.

Autism is often characterized by a fundamental lack of empathy or a lack of Theory of Mind in the sense of being able to imagine and connect with other people's emotional and physical state/needs, so yes, your writing is a massively autistic text wall.

You might think it's sour grapes, but most people who find joy in mashing the same button for hours invest in a fidget spinner. It's cheaper.

My spaceship's got laser cannons and bombs but it's got a semi automatic pistol and I'm expected to fire it constantly non stop? lolno

I mean how fortunate that you don't have arthritis and apparently don't know anyone with arthritis and therefore don't have to invest any effort in imagining why mandating high speed rhythmic button mashing might not be ideal game design.
and another earlier, relevant snippit in the conversation:
me again wrote:what autofire rate though? 30 hz is clearly going to break some games, but if the autofire is set to something humanly acheievable, what's the difference?

If you're going to claim that avoiding repetitive stress injuries isn't a good thing then there's no point in continuing this conversation further

I love videogames but I have a family to support and a job I am responsible for, as do many others. I can't hurt myself unnecessarily for the sake of a shmup, and nor should anyone need to
to which you responded:
BrainΦΠΦTemple wrote:but to be bluntly honest, tHat's not a reasoned argument. you're ultimately just conceding to a cop out of saying, "i'm just nOt hardcore enough and don't have enough time or patience."

like, are you gOnna have to quit your job or something because yOu gotta learn r-type 1 without autofire?
This, for the record, is absolutely an idiotic tryhard kind of attitude, much like your posts in this thread have been. But hilariously, I'd like to point out that I only used the word "tryhard" once in our Discord conversation, when referring to myself:
me wrote:Trust me, I used to be in tryhard category as a kid and scoffed at the idea of using autofire

Then I grew up and realized I was wrong

It's not just black and white

Your ranting in this thread is literally a rehash of our conversation on Discord on March 3rd. If you're going to continue posting false, defamatory remarks about me that mischaracterize our private conversation, I will simply post the screenshots.
k

this is coming from the guy who said tHat he doesn't lack empathy, he's apathetic lol

also, i'm better at games than yOu

ubermensch mAsher out new game+ ^-^
Last edited by BrainΦΠΦTemple on Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

BrainΦΠΦTemple wrote:also, i'm better at games than yOu =B
So? Based on your attitude it seems to be one of the few meaningful things you've got going on in your life, no wonder you've invested so much in it emotionally to the point of being toxic and elitist as fuck.

BrainΦΠΦTemple, lying again, what a surprise wrote:this is coming from the guy who said tHat he doesn't lack empathy, he's apathetic lol
what was actually said in Discord wrote:BT: i've even apologized if i cAme across off-putting, and nOw you're being condescending towardz me

BareKnuckleRoo: No, I'm being apathetic. You've taken a shitty position on a topic, and you're upset that I'm calling you out on it.
It was super weird to see you griping about condescension just because I disagreed with your shitty attitude. Just because you're an acquaintance of mine doesn't mean I'm obligated to agree with you or spare your feelings when you've taken a really, really bad position on this subject. It's especially weird to see it now that you're being massively condescending as a coping mechanism.

In other words, your attitude can fuck right off, dude.
Last edited by BareKnuckleRoo on Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
BrainΦΠΦTemple

Post by BrainΦΠΦTemple »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:
BrainΦΠΦTemple wrote:also, i'm better at games than yOu =B
So? Based on your attitude it seems to be one of the few meaningful things you've got going on in your life, no wonder you've invested so much in it emotionally to the point of being toxic and elitist as fuck.
i'll just go play w/ my "autistic fidget spinners" nOw =B
and be a "tryhard" and clear dangun feveron on very hard rank w/ a sassy nO-miss ^w^
just mOre ad hominem nOnsense again lol
super mature, dude S+ rank gamer gOld star for you
BareKnuckleRoo wrote:It was super weird to see you griping about condescension just because I disagreed with your shitty attitude. Just because you're an acquaintance of mine doesn't mean I'm obligated to agree with you or spare your feelings when you've taken a really, really bad position on this subject. It's especially weird to see it now that you're being massively condescending as a coping mechanism.

In other words, your attitude can fuck right off, dude.
i didn't ask yOu to agree. i just wAnted to discuss it civily, but yOu're not capable of tHat as demonstrated by the screenshot and yOur behavior now.

gOt the "autistic fidget spinners," dude. gOnna balance'em on my nose while i get a dangun clear. mAybe you'll get this 1 someday, champ ;>
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

i didn't ask yOu to agree. i just wAnted to discuss it civily
I'm not sure what you expected after being an offensively snobby elitist and ableist, but believe me I think I responded pretty darn civilly especially considering how much your attitude then, as now, was wearing on my patience. Quit deluding yourself, bro.
BrainΦΠΦTemple

Post by BrainΦΠΦTemple »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:
i didn't ask yOu to agree. i just wAnted to discuss it civily
I'm not sure what you expected after being an offensively snobby elitist and ableist, but believe me I think I responded pretty darn civilly especially considering how much your attitude then, as now, was wearing on my patience. Quit deluding yourself, bro.
mOre ad hominems, wHat a surprise.

*spinz my "autistic fidget spinner" while wearing a 90s dare style shirt tHat says "tryhard"*
PerishedFraud ឵឵

grow up
Fun Over Victory| Shitpost Central | Shmusic Archive | Old Account | tuckfouhou@gmail.com
drauch

Post by drauch »

I try penis exercises every day and it still hurts :cry:
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

drauch wrote:I try penis exercises every day and it still hurts :cry:
I had the same problem til adding 15 more pounds of weight and quadrupling my daily hangtime. No pain no gain, brah.
PerishedFraud ឵឵

You two are a buncha chumps. Mine exploded years ago!
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

PerishedFraud ឵឵ wrote: Image
Holy shit I was just thinking this. On of my cats is a calico and I'm used to tortitude (that's a real term). So when things get spicy I just want to pet the head, but then pull back before they get overstimulated.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

PerishedFraud ឵឵ wrote:You two are a buncha chumps. Mine exploded years ago!
That can happen. To lift as hard as I do you need to also build wellness and energy with a 30 minute butthole/taint sunbathing every am.

I prefer to receive the sun's radiance from a downward dog style position: but missionary isn't so bad either.

https://ro.co/health-guide/dont-harvest ... -butthole/
PerishedFraud ឵឵

I'll have you know I bathed in at least two immortal springs and attuned to over 200 spirit stones
blazinglazers69

Post by blazinglazers69 »

"i dOn't give a fuCk," Brain said on their 50th reply in the thread :lol:

This thread is now what they call a race to the bottom. And since we're throwing out Nietzsche now, let us not forget:

"Battle not with regards, lest ye become a regard, and if you gaze into the shitposing, the shitposting gazes also into you."
Steven

Post by Steven »

I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days... What were you in your former life?
PerishedFraud ឵឵

Edit: image removed. Damn it.
Last edited by PerishedFraud ឵឵ on Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Didn't that Niche guy talk about gazing into the blackness of a butthole or some shit? Maybe I should start reading this stuff.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
pja

Post by pja »

drauch wrote:I try penis exercises every day and it still hurts :cry:
that's why 30Hz is sometimes too much
Lander

Something something autofire

Post by Lander »

I must have taken a wrong turn on the way to the forum Image
chum

Post by chum »

BrainΦΠΦTemple wrote: so his hand hUrt? oH. uH, k. tHat's why hand exercises are important whether yOu are a gamer or a musician or both

Hand exercises aren't always enough.
oH yeah, the argument tHat the japanese use autofire, so it's fine is a dumbsHit argument. tHat's literally just an appeal to authority + i've even seen them using auto fOr beat 'em upz, which is fukken pointless :/
Autofire for beat 'em ups isn't pointless, in some cases it's very helpful.
Anyways, I don't think it's an appeal to authority, it's just stating the reality of the top level, hardcore scene. The playerbase for videogames may not always see eye to eye with how the game was originally designed, so they may make their own rules. Of course that doesn't mean everyone has to abide by player-made rules. It's just a fact that in Japan autofire has been common place. We are able to view top tier gameplay and tell what autofire has done for them, to what extent it has broken games, etc. We can use this knowledge to decide whether or not allowing autofire makes sense.
Top scores are frequently tracked both with or without autofire in cases where autofire isn't built in precisely so we don't need these arguments to dictate how to play.
It doesn't do anyone any good to make cheating accusations because of autofire, because we're not following the same rulebook.
Instead of being absolutist on the topic and deciding that it's cheating just because it wasn't built in originally, it should be more than enough to make an objective list of pros and cons and let all gamers decide for themselves which rulesets suit them the best. I've made my own decision and decided that I prefer allowing autofire, for various reasons.

Going over all the reasons for and against autofire would be beating a dead horse at this point as everything has already been said, if not here, then elsewhere, many times.
There's many reasons why using autofire could be seen as cheap, cheaty gameplay, most people who use it understand this.
Opponents of autofire also need to understand that there are many reasons why allowing it is a good thing.
Everyone understands that autofire also can give gameplay advantages, sometimes substantial.
So we can separate autofire and non autofire on leaderboards. On completely equivalent achievements, the one without autofire tends to be harder (sometimes slightly, sometimes substantially) rather than equivalent. In many cases, what can be done with autofire, is impossible without.

I also would like to mention something that some people get wrong. Developer intentions are not the same thing as the game itself. I've sometimes seen two people, when arguing, argue about two separate things. One person argues about the game itself, while the opponent, misunderstands and think they are arguing about developer intentions.
If we're talking about rulebooks to follow, like with the cheating debacle, then Dev intentions and the game itself are entirely different things.
Dev intentions are bad for deciding rules because devs probably know their games a lot worse than the players do, and, making things worse, is that what's a dev intention is just beyond nebulous. In essence it becomes like a more ill defined version of players rulebook.
Game itself has its own fair share of problems because of lots of things such as ports, emulation, etc, but can at least be worked out more logically. For example with autofire, it's seemingly simple. If the game didn't have built in autofire, then playing with it is cheating. That's a mostly logically consistent claim. Though there are lots of ways to muddy the waters...
For example, you are playing on console, and an official controller has autofire? In this case it's not only about the game, but also the console and peripherals
Meanwhile, what about players rulebook. That's the one we follow when using autofire, after all. We decided it's ok, so we use it. Players rulebook has its own problems. First one is that it's arbitrary. No matter what rules the players bend, and what reasoning, it can ultimately be decided arbitrary compared to "Just follow games own rules".
But I would argue there is something more important than this. That is to use reasoning, and experience to decide how to maximize your own satisfaction, as the player. Because sometimes, in various communities, players will bend the games rules, and agree on these new rules, because they have decided it is best so. That is exactly what happened with autofire among the Japanese. I personally have thought a lot about why I decided to allow myself to use autofire. It would've been harder come to that conclusion independently, but looking at japanese superplays and leaderboards, have given complete clarity on the topic of how this opened pandoras box autofire has affected shmups.
Everyone else is free to use all the available information to come to the opposite conclusion and decide they will not use autofire.
RobHimself

Post by RobHimself »

I can't believe you guys are responding to someone who "TyPes liKe thIs" let alone reading them. Why do you type like this? Look childish. I immediately discard anything anyone has to say when posts look like that.

PleAse tyPe lik3 a n0rmal humaN plZ.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

I also would like to mention something that some people get wrong. Developer intentions are not the same thing as the game itself. I've sometimes seen two people, when arguing, argue about two separate things. One person argues about the game itself, while the opponent, misunderstands and think they are arguing about developer intentions.
If we're talking about rulebooks to follow, like with the cheating debacle, then Dev intentions and the game itself are entirely different things.
Dev intentions are bad for deciding rules because devs probably know their games a lot worse than the players do, and, making things worse, is that what's a dev intention is just beyond nebulous. In essence it becomes like a more ill defined version of players rulebook.
That's a good point chum. I think players in other genres such as in the FGC are better at understanding and dealing with this relationship.

I think it was James Chen that I heard saying if a dev knew exactly how a game will be played ahead of release then that's not a good fighting game. In other words it doesn't have sufficient complexity for players to be creative and push limits beyond developer expectations.

One thing that bothers me about the super black and white argument around autofire is "cheating" and has to be either all good or all bad for every game is it doesn't allow for the obvious third possibility that the dev wanted there to be a choice.

You will see people call autofire cheating even when there is a dip switch allowing it. The obvious argument there is had the devs wanted auto on it would've been enabled by default.

From the point of view of a developer who wants to provide the choice you have two options. Don't add auto at all and let it be an external addition. Or do a dip and have it off by default. Once you have auto on by default there's basically no way to remove it and provide choice. Even if it's a dip to turn off auto basically no one will ever turn it off.

You can also ask the question if devs were aware of autofire circuits at least by the late 80s and were so opposed to its use why didn't they simply cap fire rates to prevent faster speeds?

This is where it gets too complex and difficult to read dev intentions (provided they should even matter that much) simply by applying the idea that the game tells all and provides the absolute rule set.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Rastan78 wrote:You can also ask the question if devs were aware of autofire circuits at least by the late 80s and were so opposed to its use why didn't they simply cap fire rates to prevent faster speeds.
Tatsujin Ou does this. That game's weird, though. It's the only game I am aware of that does this, but I'm sure there are more.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Rastan78 wrote:
That's a good point chum. I think players in other genres such as in the FGC are better at understanding and dealing with this relationship.

I think it was James Chen that I heard saying if a dev knew exactly how a game will be played ahead of release then that's not a good fighting game. In other words it doesn't have sufficient complexity for players to be creative and push limits beyond developer expectations.
One thing is finding out unintended combos, another altogether is adding extra buttons for macros. The latter is not following the game's rulebook simply because the game's designed after a specific control panel with a limited number of buttons and with the idea that the more effective a technique is, the harder it is to pull off.

If, for whatever reason (like, allowing brand-new stuff otherwise impossible to pull off), adding extra buttons for macros succeeds among one certain community, I'm sure even those will admit that it's cheating especially when competing with regular players, even if among them it's become the normal thing.

One thing that bothers me about the super black and white argument around autofire is "cheating" and has to be either all good or all bad for every game is it doesn't allow for the obvious third possibility that the dev wanted there to be a choice.

You will see people call autofire cheating even when there is a dip switch allowing it. The obvious argument there is had the devs wanted auto on it would've been enabled by default.

From the point of view of a developer who wants to provide the choice you have two options. Don't add auto at all and let it be an external addition. Or do a dip and have it off by default. Once you have auto on by default there's basically no way to remove it and provide choice. Even if it's a dip to turn off auto basically no one will ever turn it off.
My argument here though was that if the devs wanted AF as an actual option (against just a feature for those complaining about button wear-out or health issues) they at least would mention it in the operators manual (which doesn't seem to be the case - example).

Which leads to that there's actually a third option - don't hide it (DOJ, 2002).

Anyway, the cases of undisclosed additional built-in AF option are very few to build the argument around it, aren't they? You should answer first why they didn't add it until 1997 if they really didn't like a super black or white scenario.

You can also ask the question if devs were aware of autofire circuits at least by the late 80s and were so opposed to its use why didn't they simply cap fire rates to prevent faster speeds?
The quotes provided here indeed show that by the late 80s and early 90s they were extremely uncommon. I don't think most devs by then were aware of them or thought of them as something meaningful to put a limit which could also affect regular usage.

This is where it gets too complex and difficult to read dev intentions (provided they should even matter that much) simply by applying the idea that the game tells all and provides the absolute rule set.
As stated above, if you let the user set the rules, you face the problem of arbitrarism, which shouldn't have a place in actual competition. I'd add that broadening the notion of hacking as the natural thing to do with a game is countercultural, but I know that's just me and I don't want to be called a contrarian, mates.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Anyway, the cases of undisclosed additional built-in AF option are very few to build the argument around it, aren't they? You should answer first why they didn't add it until 1997 if they really didn't like a super black or white scenario.
Darius (1987) and Darius II (1989) have autofire as an optional dip switch on the PCB. By as early as 1989 Gamest reported players were also using auto on the bomb button for Darius, especially to help with milking Great Thing's drills.