Modern shmups NOT saving scores locally?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Pixel_Outlaw

Post by Pixel_Outlaw »

It's been some time since I've posted. :P

I picked up Dariusburst Another Chronicle EX+ the other day and it has yet to give me a high score name entry screen.
Don't tell me this is an online only thing...

Is this going to be a thing now?
How am I supposed to play against the guy sitting next to me?

I have fuzzy recollection of other Switch shmups not saving scores too.
What is this? 1990?
Do I need to keep a small notebook or put a piece of paper inside the case to quickly write down my score the moment I die?
Some of the best shmups don't actually end in a vowel.
No, this game is not Space Invaders.
davyK

Re: Modern shmups NOT saving scores locally?

Post by davyK »

Some Cave ports have weird local saving. The Pink Sweets/Muchi Muchi Pork local saving is one - it doesn't even let you enter your initials if I remember correctly.

Even when local scores are saved some games don't always display the high score in the status area either.

On Futari's high score screen you can toggle between "todays" and "all time" with the shoulder buttons on the 360 port. Though it shows the proper high score in game too. Deathsmiles (360) doesn't show your high score in game . The Steam port of Mushi saves local but doesn't show your high score in game - only the current session's high score.

One could be generous and say it is in the spirit of the arcade. :)
Last edited by davyK on Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pixel_Outlaw

Post by Pixel_Outlaw »

Man that's absolute madness. :shock:

This is the Year of Oure Lourde 2023, they can't figure out how to store a few bytes in local memory? :roll:
Ah well I guess I'm going to have to play with a "spotter" sitting beside me and grab a stack of sticky notes for the inside of the case. :lol:

It is crazy though ...
I seem to recall Shikhondo's score saving being very hit or miss too.

The sad thing is that even in the Sega Genesis era you'd get to see you high score after you lost.
Now it's just *zoop* your're back at the title screen with no score shown.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Pixel_Outlaw wrote: Do I need to keep a small notebook or put a piece of paper inside the case to quickly write down my score the moment I die?
You use the page with the blank lines at the back of the instruction book, obvi.
Pixel_Outlaw

Post by Pixel_Outlaw »

Sengoku Strider wrote:
Pixel_Outlaw wrote: Do I need to keep a small notebook or put a piece of paper inside the case to quickly write down my score the moment I die?
You use the page with the blank lines at the back of the instruction book, obvi.
I guess they DO have a spot for your notepad in there...

pulsemod

Post by pulsemod »

deathsmiles does show your high score in-game, you need to interact with it on the attract or title screen to switch between characters or today/overall. every game brought up other than dariusburst ac so far is a 360-era port, though! not sure what the deal with DB AC is, but I can say with certainty that every shmup I do own on PS4 does have a local high scores table, so DB AC seems like it might be an odd one out.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Back in the days when games had no save hardware, people would take pictures for mail-in contests or whatever (and hope it was a good pic since the cameras of the day weren't kind to screenshots). These days a quick phone pic is thankfully more reliable, if someone want to save their score but the hardware doesn't support it.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Steven

Post by Steven »

PC, PS4/5, and Switch have built-in screenshot thingies. Just use that.