R-Type Final 3 Evolved announced for PS5.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Darkseed_5150

Re: R-Type Final 3 Evolved announced for PS5.

Post by Darkseed_5150 »

I could care less what its called. All I know is that Im getting a new game/content on an upgraded engine which runs good today on PS5. Just like Final 2, I'm day one.
davyK

Post by davyK »

RType Dead Horse : The Flailing.
lordnikon

Post by lordnikon »

xxx1993 wrote:This is still one of my reasons to get a PS5, along with CYGNI: All Guns Blazing. And hey, you never know, Aleste Branch, Ubusuna, and Radirgy 2 might end up on the PS5 as well.
You are buying an entire console, at inflated prices, just for add-on content? *scratches head* If R-Type Final 2 hadn't even been released and this was all a Sony exclusive, then yea I can understand wanting to buy a console to play it. However this is just some additional content on-top of R-Type Final 2, which is already available everywhere else. I can't wrap my brain around this new Evolved version being a console seller.

I bought the $65 Deluxe edition of R-Type Final 2.

When they expected me to pay an ADDITIONAL $84 for the rest of the DLC/Add-on content, I said: "No."

Dropping in excess of half-a-grand to procure hardware just to play an updated version of this, seems excessive.
"Nature is amazing when you're a kid.
You have fish in the rivers and oceans, and wild plants in the mountains.
There's food to be found everywhere.
That's how we enjoyed nature.

But we've lost it all." -Naoto Matsumura
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Cygni looks nice, but it almost seemed like more of a tech demo than an actual game the last time they showed it. There's plenty of reason to be cautiously optimistic as it might turn out great. Until we see more it could just as well be the next Sine Mora. Nice graphics, mainstream crossover appeal for reviewers and shit gameplay. And I say that as someone who really hopes it does turn out well.

Ubusuna could be an interesting one. Are shmups going to start taking advantage of 120hz refresh on PS5? Or will ports start to use VRR for arcade accurate refresh? Right now I feel like if I bought a PS5 all it would get used it for is back compatible PS4 stuff. We'll see how things shake out in a year or two though.

Would I pick up R Type Final 3 Evolved if I already had a PS5? Probably. Am I losing sleep over it bc I only have Switch and PS4? Uh no.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Rastan78 wrote:Would I pick up R Type Final 3 Evolved if I already had a PS5? Probably. Am I losing sleep over it bc I only have Switch and PS4? Uh no.
This has been my reaction to the entire PS5 library up to this point. And I'm on a base PS4.
Aceskies

Post by Aceskies »

I purchased RTF2 on Switch + DLC1. Didnt have PS4 at the time, so thats the best I could get. So now I am eager to get RTF3 to enjoy it full graphics and framerate, since I really liked the game.

It's not the first time a game is sold with additional content full price. It happens all the time with fighting games for instance. Not an issue to me.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

April 25th, huh? That’s my mom’s birthday.
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

Yes, it is.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I just need to know one thing. Is this game really worth getting if you already have R-Type Final 2? Because for all we know, Granzella could be Street Fighter II-ing/Raiden IV-ing/Crimzon Clover-ing R-Type Final 2 to death.
Last edited by xxx1993 on Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

xxx1993 wrote:I just need to know one thing. Is this game really worth getting if you already have R-Type Final 2? Because for all we know, Granzella could be Street Fighter II-ing or Raiden IV-ing R-Type Final 2 to death.
Have you tried discussing this with your mother? Perhaps if you explained to her the significance of R-Type's legacy, she may consider subsidizing your purchase of a PS5 + Final 3 with a modest raise to your allowance.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Even though the quality of the models and textures is student-project level, I'm still low-key excited to wander my outdoor hangar full of ships with my PS Home avatar.

Really though, it's the load times that I'm most excited about. With the SSD on the PS5, I would expect near-instant restarts and that's maybe worth the price of admission itself. I thought I'd enjoy the Switch port as a nice little couch game, but the load times eventually made it unplayable.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Fast load times plus PS5 has that authentic arcade feel bc it's as massive as a CPS2 board set. Unbelievable right?

https://twitter.com/rcd_rcd33/status/16 ... QCDEg&s=19
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

cave hermit wrote:
xxx1993 wrote:I just need to know one thing. Is this game really worth getting if you already have R-Type Final 2? Because for all we know, Granzella could be Street Fighter II-ing or Raiden IV-ing R-Type Final 2 to death.
Have you tried discussing this with your mother? Perhaps if you explained to her the significance of R-Type's legacy, she may consider subsidizing your purchase of a PS5 + Final 3 with a modest raise to your allowance.
I've been trying to look for a job, actually. Plus, it's not just my video games, but the legion of action movies I want to see in the theater.
pablumatic

Post by pablumatic »

These graphics certainly aren't PS5 level. Slightly above Raiden V and the innumerable remakes of Dariusburst yet again. Why the exclusivity? Sony moneyhat? (R-Type Final 2 is on PS Extra subscription)

Wish shooter developers would start to actually use the fidelity they could achieve these days.
qmish

Post by qmish »

pablumatic wrote: Wish shooter developers would start to actually use the fidelity they could achieve these days.
Usually developers are either "gameplay guys" or "graphics guys" these days.
Sine Mora devs were the graphics ones, ha. Still amazes me with details, but not very fun to play.
pablumatic

Post by pablumatic »

qmish wrote:
pablumatic wrote: Wish shooter developers would start to actually use the fidelity they could achieve these days.
Sine Mora devs were the graphics ones, ha. Still amazes me with details, but not very fun to play.
I guess that's the case. Which is a shame since we used to have both back in the day.
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

davyK wrote:RType Dead Horse : The Flailing.
Yup. Zzz.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I honestly think making this exclusive for the PS5 is gonna bite Granzella in the ass, especially if this might be a rehash of R-Type Final 2. Same for whoever is doing CYGNI: All Guns Blazing. Because the PS5 is too expensive.
Nautilus

Post by Nautilus »

xxx1993 wrote:I honestly think making this exclusive for the PS5 is gonna bite Granzella in the ass, especially if this might be a rehash of R-Type Final 2. Same for whoever is doing CYGNI: All Guns Blazing. Because the PS5 is too expensive.
Hi there, Cygni wont be PS5 exclusive. goal is PC, PS5, Xbox.
qmish wrote:
Life was less complicated back in the day when it came to game dev, in relative terms to tech, expectations, competitions as well as backing. These days it's different.

In many ways technology and accessibility today don't mean "better" or "faster", it's arguably the opposite not to mention all the complications that a production can bring to any team. It's why you get a large game like Half-life back in the 90's good and ready to go after just one year and a half of development, but any modern day shooter with infintely more budget and time and mega team sizes will take at least 2 years of pre-production RnD and another 4 to complete it, that is, if its finally released without major game breaking bugs.

Same is for indie teams and 1 man teams, the compromises and challenges are extreme multiplers or simplifiers. Very lucky few will find a middle ground and that comes down to certain conditions depending on individual talent that can superseed multiple challenges, the subject matter at hand and stars aligning for everythign else. These things are less discussed these days, It's good to be aware of them to understand them.

Sine Mora was succesful and is indeed one of the most played and best sold games in the genre. Not one of my personal favorites but I do appreciate they tried something new and succeeded. The devs were never aiming to satisfy everyone but they did make a game many enjoyed playing. But all this is down to personal taste and I understand i'm in the wrong place here when speaking of Sine Mora type games in this fashion : ).
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Nautilus wrote:Hi there, Cygni wont be PS5 exclusive. goal is PC, PS5, Xbox.
Oh, right, forgot CYGNI was gonna be on PC and Xbox Series S. But still, I'm frustrated they aren't bothering to put it on the PS4 and Switch when those are still ongoing.
Nautilus

Post by Nautilus »

xxx1993 wrote:
Nautilus wrote:Hi there, Cygni wont be PS5 exclusive. goal is PC, PS5, Xbox.
Oh, right, forgot CYGNI was gonna be on PC and Xbox Series S. But still, I'm frustrated they aren't bothering to put it on the PS4 and Switch when those are still ongoing.
No doors are fully closed, but at this stage and with limited resources at hand, it's difficult to optimize the game for other platforms. it takes a lot of time to test and port on one let alone three. Thankfully this gen PS5 and Xbox are very similar to their PC counterparts which made things a little less problematic yet still very much time consuming.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

But why must R-Type Final 3 Evolved be PS5 exclusive? I have to pay a crapload of money to get it now... And again, I don't even have a job yet.
Nautilus

Post by Nautilus »

xxx1993 wrote:But why must R-Type Final 3 Evolved be PS5 exclusive? I have to pay a crapload of money to get it now... And again, I don't even have a job yet.
Can't speak for the R-type guys, but typically in such situations they may have an exclusivity deal with Sony for a limited or indefinite time period, in return they will get financial support and profit among other attractive offers from them.

Sony will most likely force the deal to be PS5 exclusive since it's their new console. If the deal is attractive enough to the devs they will probably jump on that boat. Finding funding and maintaining a team such as the number working on such a title is very hard and challenging, sales may not be enough to cover the cost of production let alone make profit, regardless of the good kcikstarter income for R-type 2, numbers are relative.
Darkseed_5150

Post by Darkseed_5150 »

I hope it has more VR support than just the takeoff scenes. It would be nice if they used the VR for the main game to enhance special FX and such.
Steven

Post by Steven »

There was an interview with Kujo from somewhere around the time of the game's launch where he said that they want to make the entire game playable in VR if possible. I don't remember where that interview is, but he definitely wanted to do it if possible. I have no idea how that would even work, but there you have it.
Darkseed_5150

Post by Darkseed_5150 »

My dream would be for them to go to the next step of the 3DS shump route. Games like Thunder force 3, Steel Empire, Fantasy Zone, etc. are side scrolling but look and play great in 3D.
Steven

Post by Steven »

I just realized that I have a PS5 now, so I can get this, but I am not sure if I really want to. I checked out the store-exclusive preorder stuff and Amazon has this
Spoiler
Last time it was this
Spoiler
so I guess they are at least being consistent with the theme.

Actually, thinking about it again, I'll gladly pick this up if they rework ship unlocks so they don't take forever.

Ah, what the hell. I'll do it. I really hope they increase material drops, reduce the amounts of required material, preferably both, or, even better, just give me everything unlocked right from the start.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

xxx1993 wrote:I honestly think making this exclusive for the PS5 is gonna bite Granzella in the ass, especially if this might be a rehash of R-Type Final 2. Same for whoever is doing CYGNI: All Guns Blazing. Because the PS5 is too expensive.
Don't ask me how, but it isn't. Even at that price the PS5 has been selling like gangbusters, only held back by chip shortages. It's got an install base of 32 million units, which is only 3 million behind the PS4 at the same point. It would clearly be ahead if they hadn't had those supply issues, which they say they've now resolved.

But beyond that, PS4 is done in Japan. They did have a manufacturing run in 2022 for Western markets, but Sony have said they're closing up shop for it in 2025; they've already announced its cycle is done and they don't even report sales figures for it anymore. So if Granzella have long term plans for it as they did Final 2, PS4 would be something of a dead end.

So really I'm just happy we've continued to get as strong support for the PS4 as we have.