Radirgy 2 (PS5/PS4/SW)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
heli

Re: Radirgy 2 (PS5/PS4/SW)

Post by heli »

*edit : i dont see any twin stick in the movies.
Last edited by heli on Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Shizuru is back and better than ever!

And they're looking for someone to voice her
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

m.sniffles.esq wrote:Shizuru is back and better than ever!

And they're looking for someone to voice her
They can’t get Natsumi Yanase to reprise her role?
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I know it's "an early build" an all that but I sure hope they remember to make the enemies actually fire at you, if these videos are any indication. The control scheme is giving off some wtf vibes, to be honest.
pixelhans

Post by pixelhans »

heli wrote:*edit : i dont see any twin stick in the movies.
the bomb is moving seperatly from the player.. kinda like the doll in illvelo swamp
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

This looks really slick. I like it. The twin stick stuff in Illevelo Swamp was a lot of fun, so I'm looking forward to trying it out here.
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

KAI wrote:
cj iwakura wrote:Does this mean we're getting our girl back?
Shizuru is back and better than ever! The flyer even confirms this is a direct sequel to the original radirgy
The story goes like:
Shizuru was expelled from school by the government after the events of the previous game, and Tadayo is missing. A misterious girl called Shiina Mufuu appeared in front of Shizuru to help her find her lost friend
There's already some footage from the TGS version, the game looks amazing
Image Image
ImageImage

It will be a twinstick shooter like illvelo swamp but with regular arcade-like stages apparently

vids on twitter:
https://twitter.com/create_sht/status/1 ... 7000034305
https://twitter.com/charlie0816/status/ ... 2427972611
Awesome. (Localization team's gonna have a field day doing all that feed chat...)
heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Awesome. (Localization team's gonna have a field day doing all that feed chat...)

Or they can just do like Dispatch and delete it all instead...
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

m.sniffles.esq wrote:Awesome. (Localization team's gonna have a field day doing all that feed chat...)

Or they can just do like Dispatch and delete it all instead...
It still amazes me that UFO Interactive of all people somehow did a competent localization of the first game.
heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?
KAI

Post by KAI »

There was a new location test during the Akihabara Game Show 2022. No footage this time sadly, but some twitter users commented about this new build having missions similar to radirgy swag and illvelo swamp.
https://twitter.com/charlie0816/status/ ... 2101049344

They also changed the control layout this time (bottom pic), and seems to be less shitty than the previous one
Spoiler
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

They also changed the control layout this time (bottom pic), and seems to be less shitty than the previous one

I can't understand exactly what it says, but I'm assuming the shoulder buttons are shot/sword now.

Only partially related: Yesterday I was organizing my Switch carts, which served as a reminder that it's been almost a year, and I still have yet to puncture the shrink-wrap on Illvelo Swamp. I know they announced a company for the localization (that thankfully wasn't Dispatch), so is said company ever going to--y'know--do it?
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

m.sniffles.esq wrote:They also changed the control layout this time (bottom pic), and seems to be less shitty than the previous one

I can't understand exactly what it says, but I'm assuming the shoulder buttons are shot/sword now.
Yeah - ZL is rapid fire, ZR is sword.
Only partially related: Yesterday I was organizing my Switch carts, which served as a reminder that it's been almost a year, and I still have yet to puncture the shrink-wrap on Illvelo Swamp. I know they announced a company for the localization (that thankfully wasn't Dispatch), so is said company ever going to--y'know--do it?
I've been wondering the same thing. Mebius (Japanese publisher) usually do their own localizations, but I thought we'd have heard something by now.
KAI

Post by KAI »

All RS34 games are currently on sale before the 3ds shop closes, and Masubuchi has been sharing some interesting stories about the development of those 3 games on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/rs34_kouhou/status/ ... 2575312898

He also "revealed" their next game will be a sequel to Karous (probably that Ranhansha no Sanguis game they announced some years ago).

Here's a translation of all those tweets:

Karous-Beast of Re:Eden-
Karous-Beast of Re:Eden- (hereafter Karous BOR)
This was a tough one to make. Actually, we've been developing it since the Milestone days, and it lasted until RS34, so it's
It's somewhat related across three companies.

I remember at Milestone, we were drawing images on the whiteboard of what we wanted the equipment screen to look like on the tabs.
I believe we were working on it when we were interviewed by World Satellite.
It was deliberately put on the screen, although it was unpublished. I was kind of happy to see that some people noticed it on the summary site.

Also, this game was completed at the time of KLON, but there were a lot of stages, and in the early stages, there was a lot of processing downtime (more than now), and it was very difficult to make many adjustments.
It was a game that was difficult to adjust in many ways.
I also have fond memories of the final stages of development, when I couldn't go home for Christmas, so I bought a cake at a nearby 100-yen Lawson and ate it while creating the game.
Radirgy de Gojaru
Since Karous BOR was a time-consuming and labor-intensive STG, we decided to make an inexpensive game that can be played quickly and easily in a short period of time.
This is a game I made in a really short period of time. I think it took less than 1/10th of the time of Karous BOR. (It was as hard as ever, though.)
When the game was first developed, the screen shook more than it does now when damage was taken.
It was easy to understand as an expression of damage, but I remember the screen rattling around when you missed a formation or something.
The concept is to "defend the gym."
After playing for a certain amount of time, you can go into a mild trance. This became the basis for Radirgy swag.
It's a quirky game, but I love it. Please try to play it.
Illvelo Dillinjah
This is another STG that was created in a short period of time, but it features 100 stages, 8 aircraft, and 3 ranks, which is a huge amount of data for Illvelo.
This was a tremendous amount of data, but we managed to finish it in a short period of time.
I think there is still no other STG with such a large number of stages at such a low price. 
Karous = specialized in attack, Radirgy = specialized in defense, Illvelo = versatile.
It is interesting to use them in different ways to attack.
The bottom screen is also quite interesting, so please try tapping on the various face icons.
In addition, we have released a soundtrack CD for RS34.
The soundtrack is a compilation of music that is appropriate for Ilbero.
You have to defeat something with a finger or a big eyeball while a song like NAGAO AND FRIENDS plays in the background.
I don't think there is any other game like it anywhere else in the world.
It's a quirky game, but I love it. Please try to play it.
Looking back, I have nothing but memories of how hard it was.
They are all important to me.
It's a shame that those who will not be able to play them anymore, but if you haven't played them yet, this is the last time they are on sale, so please give them a try.
They are quirky games, but I love them.
Radirgy de Goraru! →Radirgy Swag → Radirgy 2 (tentative)
Illvelo Dillinjah -> Illvelo Swamp
And Karous BOR -> ?????
and so on, so please keep up the good work!

Glad to know we are finally getting an actual sequel to Karous, since that game came out 17 years ago and ends with a huge cliffhanger.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

I'm happy because I'm one of the three people in the world that thinks Karous is their bast game.
But, what's going on with this?

Radirgy 2 (tentative)

It's "tentative" now??
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Tentative refers to the title of the game. Code for we'll come up with something more clever than Radirgy 2 later.
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

m.sniffles.esq wrote:I'm happy because I'm one of the three people in the world that thinks Karous is their bast game.
But, what's going on with this?

Radirgy 2 (tentative)

It's "tentative" now??
Me, you and who?
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Why is this only a tentative title?
pulsemod

Post by pulsemod »

in case they want to change it to something more interesting? look at all the other releases of radirgy or illvelo
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Me, you and who?

I swear there's one other person on this board. I may be mis-remembering.
Although, upon playing the english fan-translation, I can finally understand what people were talking about when they griped about it being "pretentious". I was always like "you're a bird that shoots robots, how on earth is that pretentious???"
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXixeAeajMs

New trailer will premiere at 10:00 PM tomorrow, June 7th.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

xxx1993 wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXixeAeajMs

New trailer will premiere at 10:00 PM tomorrow, June 7th.

"Radirgy2"
Scheduled for release in the winter of 2023!

:!:
mojilove

Post by mojilove »

looks like the "tentative" has been taken off the title in this latest youtube video and on beep's site, so i guess it is officially Radirgy 2.
Spoiler
...the fifth Radirgy game
i was kind of expecting a delay considering it is pretty much summer and there was no word of a definite release date. i just hope it doesn't end up getting delayed by a year or something like with swamp...
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I hope not either. I’ve been waiting for this game for a long time, and it is one of my most anticipated shmup titles of 2023.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Spoiler
...the fifth Radirgy game
Obviously, the last three were 1.1, 1.2, and 1.3. But the new one includes significant changes, so we're going up a version number.

Make sure to back up your data before installing.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Interesting timing; I played Karous, the only Milestone game I have ever played, for the first time in a very long time the other day. I set up the Dreamcast and I was like "fuck it, the Dreamcast is all set up, so I guess it's time to play Karous again". I still have no fucking idea how you are supposed to play this game properly, but it's cool and good or whatever, I guess.

I have been meaning to get Radirgy for a while, too. I forget the prices, but I want to say it's somewhere around 10000 yen or so and it's super easy to find. I might as well try it eventually before this releases. No PC version, so PS5, I guess. Might as well use the extra Blast Processing™. I'll be somewhat amused if the PS4 version has less lag than the PS5 version, like with Raiden IV.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Trailer is... A lot like Illmatic's trailer.
In that, you can't really tell much of anything by it. You seem to be able to fire a laser at some point, and... that's all I got.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

I hate when a dev makes an unnumbered sequel, but they don't want to call it a sequel anymore, so they make a new game that uses a number which disregards the previous game.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
mojilove

Post by mojilove »

I played the demo version of this in a recent event, so I'll give my impressions.

First, I really liked it! the twin-stick stick filled me with the same kind of bewilderment that I had when I first played Illvelo Swamp (and I see that as a good thing, personally!). I'll get to it later, but this demo version let you select between a twin-stick ship called Murasame and a new single-stick ship called Kojiro (but with different kanji to the OG Radirgy ship name - good luck with that, localisers!). The single-stick ship looks like it has been designed to give a more traditional experience (while still retaining a milestone feel).

Twin-stick ship (Murasame): There's so much going on when using the first ship (twin stick). I'd probably change the control scheme a bit because it didn't completely click with me. There is an "allergy" counter that pops up at the top right of the screen. This appears to be a chain mechanic based on infecting and destroying enemies rapidly (you infect enemies by deploying the EPS-NET magic circle thing and moving it on top of enemies with the right stick). One of the messages in the teaser trailer said that you get a battery recovery item if you get a 10 chain, so basic chaining will probably be crucial for survival.
The stage in the demo is very manageable if you keep the EPS-NET large and move it around right on top of your ship, as it absorbs bullets. The guy at the booth said they're designing it so that you can't get away with that strategy in the later stages (which sounds cool).
This ship cycles through different kinds of attacks (spinning attack, laser, and other stuff) based on what level your G gauge is currently at. I think the G gauge depletes over time, but you can collect G items to top it up.

Single-stick ship ("Kojiro"): This ship has no sword, and no shield. It has none of the special attacks that Murasame has. What it does have is a wide shot, a red narrow shot that is very weak and slows down your ship but erases bullets, and a "G bomb". The single stick ship builds the allergy chain by deploying G bombs to destroy enemies. G bombs feel a lot like megalophaz bombs from OG Illvelo, but you can deploy at least two in succession if your G gauge has built up enough levels. You don't get iframes when using the bomb but it does erase bullets.
Destroying enemies fills the G gauge and it lets you use lots of bombs, so it still has the milestone flavour to an extent. I ended up playing with the twin stick ship more because I'm a sicko.
Also, this ship has a three-hit battery gauge like OG Radirgy rather than the percentage system that is present in the twin-stick ship. They are clearly going for the more traditional crowd with this new ship (I heard from someone else who attended the event that BEEP made the suggestion to RS34 about this ship). Nice to be able to choose between them, because they each have rather different playstyles.

Re items, there were all the items you'd expect from Radirgy (shield, power up, reception (multiplier), points, message), plus the G item instead of the purple diamond ABS-NET item. I saw an item with the same 化 kanji as the converter item from Karous but there weren't enough bullets on the screen when I picked up that item for me to be sure that it works like in Karous.
There's also a new gray item with the kanji 節 and i don't know what it does! Maybe it's conserving electricity/battery (節電) but the guy at the booth kind of evaded my question when I asked. Also, the battery gauge went orange sometimes and I don't know why - maybe it's related to this mystery gray item.

I didn't get a chance to read all the messages in the timeline at the side of the screen, but one funny thing was that you'll see messages like "lol u got hit" or "i could have dodged that" if you get damaged! There was also a set of messages written in the NATO phonetic alphabet spelling out "Arxial Rendezvous PO" - I do hope khdn does another live show someday.

The girl with short blonde hair shown at the end of the game this time is the person giving out orders (destroy 30 enemies with shot/shield/g bomb, erase 30 bullets, infect 30 enemies). I have no idea who she is - she doesn't look like any of the existing characters. I know that Tadayo has been shown in several different disguises in the promotional materials for this game, but this character doesn't look like Tadayo in disguise...

The guy at the booth (who was from BEEP I think) said they want to release the game by the end of this year, and that they are also working on a localisation. I'm looking forward to it!
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Thank you for that write up.
The choice between single and twin stick ships is certainly surprising. I know you probably didn't play enough to notice, but I wonder it the enemy patterns change with the ship selection?
mojilove

Post by mojilove »

np!
sorry, yeah, I didn't play enough to notice any differences in enemy patterns between the two ships, so I have no idea. I do imagine it will take them a bit of work to balance the game for each ship either way though.