Dinoforce - PC Engine Shmup

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Udderdude

Dinoforce - PC Engine Shmup

Post by Udderdude »

This long lost PC Engine game is being completed and getting a physical release and also a free ROM download on the 25th.

http://dinoforce.pceworks.net/

xxx1993

Re: Dinoforce - PC Engine Shmup

Post by xxx1993 »

I might try this. Comes out Black Friday, huh?
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

Thanks for the heads-up. :wink:
PerishedFraud ឵឵

Post by PerishedFraud ឵឵ »

hmm...
Spoiler
Fun Over Victory| Shitpost Central | Shmusic Archive | Old Account | tuckfouhou@gmail.com
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

They have this coming as well!?

https://pceworks.wordpress.com/2022/10/ ... more-10859

How come they aren't afraid of lawyers?
Steven

Post by Steven »

Oh, it's that bootleg company. I'm surprised that nobody has sued them and made them stop making their bootlegs. 89 euros is a lot of cash for this given that the yen is almost completely worthless now, so I'll probably just get the free download.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

I honestly wasn't aware of all the bootlegging shenanigans. At least the ROM is free. lol
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Bassa-Bassa wrote:How come they aren't afraid of lawyers?
After 30 years I'm sure this stuff counts as abandonware. Their own code is probably the only element that is currently protected by copyright law.
Steven wrote:89 euros is a lot of cash for this
I would have to imagine sourcing manufacturing for new HuCards for a tiny print run like this was not a cheap endeavour.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Steven wrote:Oh, it's that bootleg company. I'm surprised that nobody has sued them and made them stop making their bootlegs. 89 euros is a lot of cash for this given that the yen is almost completely worthless now, so I'll probably just get the free download.
tbh as long as they label their products appropriately, so I don't accidentally buy them, I don't mind the deluxe repro thing. The infamous Sapphire boot that came with a fucking reg card, now that's a hanging offence on these shump streets. Image IDGAF if I'm buying a game or a cup of coffee. As soon as willful deception comes into it, they can get clown pocketed in Sing Sing.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Will give Dinoforce a proper spin on the ol' Turbo Everdrive v2.0 flashcart setup. Thanks for the info on this rare PCE shmup title, Udderdude.

On a related PCE topic, I've noticed that the slick Humble Bazooka produced Version 2 variant PC Engine Bluetooth controller adapter is up for sale right now on the Stone Age Gamer site: http://www.stoneagegamer.com Grab 'em while they're still available on Black Friday as a special deal today (11/25/2022). Up to five HB PCE BT adapters can used on a PCE multi-tap setup, perfect for a serious wireless 5-player session of PCE Bomberman '94 any ol' day. I'm surprised that 8-Bitdo hasn't made a proper BT controller adapter for the PCE gaming platform these days.

----------

Upon initial bootup of Dinoforce, we're greeted with a 1993 copyright date and the overall game d/l is a mere 512kb once unzipped and placed into the roms directory of said TED v2.0. DF is a tribute/nods towards Irem's classic R-Type shmup upon playing the 1st stage and onwards. There isn't a demo/attract loop to see how it plays (although this was the norm with Hu-Cards back in the late 1980s and into the early 1990s). There is a helper "Option" bit to position in front or to the rear of your fightercraft and is indestructable -- can be used as a shield or used internally and it disappears to give your fightercraft the option to be used to decrease/increase your overall speed. In otherwords, either have a shield option or variable speed on the fly (but not both at the same time leading to the ol' "risk versus reward" situation at hand on any stage being played).

No high score screen nor high score initials input is possible (although it could've easily been implemented).

----------

A pleasant PCE shmup title worthy of your time and befitting in honor of the PCE's 35th anniversary. Salute!

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Steven

Post by Steven »

Sengoku Strider wrote:
I would have to imagine sourcing manufacturing for new HuCards for a tiny print run like this was not a cheap endeavour.
You missed the important part, and the context of why I won't buy it: the exchange rate is very bad right now. If I got paid in USD, I'd do it, but I don't.
BIL wrote:
Steven wrote:Oh, it's that bootleg company. I'm surprised that nobody has sued them and made them stop making their bootlegs. 89 euros is a lot of cash for this given that the yen is almost completely worthless now, so I'll probably just get the free download.
tbh as long as they label their products appropriately, so I don't accidentally buy them, I don't mind the deluxe repro thing. The infamous Sapphire boot that came with a fucking reg card, now that's a hanging offence on these shump streets. Image IDGAF if I'm buying a game or a cup of coffee. As soon as willful deception comes into it, they can get clown pocketed in Sing Sing.
Yeah, as long it's got clear signs that it's a bootleg, that doesn't really bother me all that much, but if it isn't clear that it's a bootleg...
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Final boss is absolute utter bullshit. Can't dodge its attacks and has a ton of health...
jd213

Post by jd213 »

Steven wrote:
Sengoku Strider wrote:
You missed the important part, and the context of why I won't buy it: the exchange rate is very bad right now. If I got paid in USD, I'd do it, but I don't.
I can relate to that, I still get paid in yen myself.

I'm also paranoid about the longevity of HuCards nowadays, I sold off all of my expensive ones after my copy of Super Star Soldier died and I couldn't figure out how to open it without destroying it.
PerishedFraud ឵឵

Post by PerishedFraud ឵឵ »

Hey, fellas who've played this.

Any dinosaurs? Is the name warranted at all?

Just curious because it sticks out.
Fun Over Victory| Shitpost Central | Shmusic Archive | Old Account | tuckfouhou@gmail.com
Steven

Post by Steven »

Oh yeah, this is out now. I forgot about it. Time to get out the SuperGrafx and try it, I think.
jd213 wrote:I can relate to that, I still get paid in yen myself.

I'm also paranoid about the longevity of HuCards nowadays, I sold off all of my expensive ones after my copy of Super Star Soldier died and I couldn't figure out how to open it without destroying it.
Yeah, getting paid in yen sucks right now if you want to buy basically anything outside of Japan. Yay, my money is worthless~

I've heard of HuCARDs going bad, though extremely infrequently. I fully expect that the last PC Engine will die long before the last HuCARD does.
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

I tried a couple levels and didn't care for it. It wasn't obvious how the various score multipliers were being triggered, and one of the weapons (the one that makes a ghost ship that moves opposite to you) didn't seem to do anything. Having access to the manual (assuming the physical copies come with one that actually explains stuff) would be helpful.
Ixmucane2

Post by Ixmucane2 »

There are some Youtube videos, more or less insightful: from the guy who shoots constantly, without discovering the highly useful Recca-style shield, to the guy who links bullet impact distance to powerup selection.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I need to test it myself but the score multiplier seems to be as simple as a timer for enemies when they appear on screen (starting at MAX and working down).

And lol, you just can't expect youtubers or grabbers to really understand the game before making a video! At least it's free for the rest of us.
PC Engine Fan X!

Can't beat a free d/l of Dinoforce any ol' day. The title namesake refers to the fightercraft with the proper name of "Dino-Jaeger" and the pilot is a female one (name unknown).

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
pablumatic

Post by pablumatic »

Downloaded. I'll play this a bit later when I have some more free time.
PC Engine Fan X!

There're two hidden Easter eggs associated with this newfangled PCE Dinoforce stg title: the first one gives the end user 10 continues (rather than the usual five continues at default setting upon a "cold boot up/powering up" session) and the second one, gives the end user access to the hidden BGM sound test. How cool is that?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
segasonicfan

Post by segasonicfan »

I think its soooo awesome that they are distributing the rom for free and selling physical copies to support the developer. This model is the way to go, so I hope people show them some love!

-SSF
I design retro gaming add-ons and repair old consoles :)
My Website: Segasonicfan Designs http://www.segasonicfan.wixsite.com/retro
dcharlie

Post by dcharlie »

segasonicfan wrote:I think its soooo awesome that they are distributing the rom for free and selling physical copies to support the developer. This model is the way to go, so I hope people show them some love!

-SSF
yeah - thought that was really pretty damned cool.

It's obviously in a very early state on trying out the rom and still needed a lot of work to get it where it needed to be. It's not the greatest game in this state, and the last boss obviously hasn't been balanced up. Might have been decent with more work but yeah, props for distributing the rom for free.
"I've asked 2 experts on taking RGB screenshots...."