Genesis/Megadrive Mini II - Silpheed Sega CD,Thunderforce IV

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BrianC

Re: Genesis/Megadrive Mini II - Silpheed Sega CD,Thunderforc

Post by BrianC »

Truxton still has the original music version included too. Super Street Fighter II seems to have improved music (I could hear it without turning the volume way up).

edit: was mistaken on the latter. Volume is quieter out of the Genesis 1 phone jack.
Last edited by BrianC on Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

This was only $100 bucks this morning on Amazon, for anyone still looking.
Martinov

Post by Martinov »

Minor query: Are the omake tracks in Thunderforce IV available to listen to on the option menu without completing the game on the Mini 2? I only ask, as I completed the game on normal then made a save file. However, I played the game later and forgot to load the save state, and yet the omake tracks were still there already unlocked.

Also rather annoying they changed the box art for TFIV.

Sonic CD, if you play the western version with European music the game will run at a jerky simulated 50hz speed for some dumb reason. Play the western version with US music or the Japanese version with either European or US soundtrack, and the game runs at the normal 60hz speed.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Martinov wrote:Also rather annoying they changed the box art for TFIV.
How so? Doesn't it update and display the art for the region you have selected? Did they altar the original cover art for one of the regions?
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Martinov

Post by Martinov »

Jonpachi wrote:
Martinov wrote:Also rather annoying they changed the box art for TFIV.
How so? Doesn't it update and display the art for the region you have selected? Did they altar the original cover art for one of the regions?
For some reason the box art for the European and Japanese versions are replaced with (what I assume to be) the Sega Ages TFIV artwork. Lightening Force is still on the European MD Mini 2 if you set the language to Korean.

Also just realised that the European and North American box art for After Burner II (that erroneously used an image of a McDonnell Douglas F-15 rather than the Grumman F-14) has been changed to the arcade After Burner artwork. All Asian regions seem to use the original Japanese game's box art.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Martinov wrote:Sonic CD, if you play the western version with European music the game will run at a jerky simulated 50hz speed for some dumb reason. Play the western version with US music or the Japanese version with either European or US soundtrack, and the game runs at the normal 60hz speed.
Oh, it's not the only case: pretty much if you start the games with their PAL covers (English, French, German, Spanish, Italian settings) you are guaranteed to get 50hz in many cases. Virtua Racing and Soleil were especially noticeable. Thank god you can set to Korean (mostly US releases including Robo Aleste, but Korean-localized Ragnacenty at 50hz) and Chinese (Mostly Japanese releases, but comes with US Ragnacenty). Once you get your preferred version you can shortcut to it via savestates.
Last edited by Turrican on Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
X - P - B
pablumatic

Post by pablumatic »

Turrican wrote:I wish someone would write down a FAQ or at least a comprehensive checklist with all changes for the sixty games included, because I basically unearth a change per day and It feels like there was no ROM untouched.
Phantasy Star II also has had the damage flashing lowered to avoid problems with people susceptible to epileptic seizures.

https://youtu.be/UYy6qO5HdxM?t=443
Steven

Post by Steven »

The US After Burner II box art being wrong bothered me a lot ever since I was a very young child and I am very glad they finally fixed it. I guess being this good really does take ages.
Azathoth_0

Post by Azathoth_0 »

Martinov wrote:Also rather annoying they changed the box art for TFIV
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the JP artwork for Viewpoint is different also.
Turrican wrote:Once you get your preferred version you can shortcut to it via savestates.
Thanks for pointing this out, I didn't know that was the case. Makes it much easier than constantly changing languages.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Viewpoint was only released in North America until now.
Azathoth_0

Post by Azathoth_0 »

Steven wrote:Viewpoint was only released in North America until now.
Thanks for the correction, I had completely forgot that until you mentioned it.

Strange that they made new custom cover art for it and not the other US only titles. When in Japanese mode they also listed it's release date as the rest of the "new" games rather than the Western one. That mode also displays day/month release times while in English it just gives a year.

It's a shame they didn't offer a way to select regions just as an option in each game's menu. That would have taken virtually no effort at all to impliment and would have been so much easier than the way it is now.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

I think I can see why.

It's the only game which released on Genesis but not on MD, though? They don't have a release date because Western markets were not as methodical as the Japanese, so they just don't have proper records.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

I think although in the Japanese settings they list Panic on Funkotron as a 2011 release or something like that, but that definitely didn't see Japan during the console lifecycle.
X - P - B
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

I thought he was talking about the MD Mini, and not Genesis Mini.
Azathoth_0

Post by Azathoth_0 »

Bassa-Bassa wrote:They don't have a release date because Western markets were not as methodical as the Japanese, so they just don't have proper records.
I understand that, but even their own application of dates is a bit odd. Genesis mini II in English mode refers to the NA release dates only by year. Import only titles are only referred to by their original Japanese release year (IE Night Striker and Ninja Warriors just say 1993). Swap it to Japanese mode and it refers to the first time the game was ever released in Japan...maybe. Or not.

In Japanese mode Viewpoint has all new box art and is listed as Oct 2022 since this is it's first official release in Japan.

Panic on Funkotron uses Asian variant box art and is listed as Nov 2012 which is the release date of the Sega Vintage Collection... that was never even released in Japan.

Clayfighter uses the regular US box art and is listed as 12/1994, which was never at any point released in Japan.

Vectorman 2 and Sonic 3D Blast use their US box art, were never released in Japan, and have day/month/year release dates that don't correspond to anything.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Yeah, it's the fair of inconsistency. I still use the chronology order, despite these flaws it's the one that makes more sense to me (you find the games quicker).
X - P - B
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

RadiantAnsel wrote:It also supports an USB hub for a "multitap" (Columns III comes to mind first), and a mouse for compatible games.
Which for the west means only Yumemi Mistery Mansion. Cool info though, now I want to try.
X - P - B
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

I finally finished Robo Aleste thanks to scumming the heck out of it, and good lord, I can't imagine this even being possible otherwise.

It's utterly unfair compared to MUSHA. Great music and visuals, though. Tell me this US Normal is the JP Hard mode or something...
heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?
Steven

Post by Steven »

From what I have heard Robo Aleste is considered to be superior to Dennin Aleste, and that is exactly the reason that Robo is on the Japanese MD Mini 2 along with Dennin, as I guess Dennin does not have a good reputation in Japan and they wanted Japanese players to have a chance to play the better version of the game or something like that. I have played neither of them, and I have never played any Aleste game that is not on the M2 collection and Senjin Aleste, so I can't say how anything that is not Senjin or on the M2 collection is, though.
Mero

Post by Mero »

Only played a couple of credits of Robo Aleste so far, think I got to the second stage. I remember thinking large enemies are quite hard to take down, maybe I wasn't poweered up enough?
Redfox

Post by Redfox »

Steven wrote:... I have never played any Aleste game that is not on the M2 collection and Senjin Aleste, so I can't say how anything that is not Senjin or on the M2 collection is, though.
But you've played MUSHA though? Right? Isn't it on that MD Mini you have with Slap Fight MD?

If I'm incorrect and you don't own that mini and never played MUSHA I feel for you, since that's like one of the best shooters on the Mega Drive bar none.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Redfox wrote:
Steven wrote:... I have never played any Aleste game that is not on the M2 collection and Senjin Aleste, so I can't say how anything that is not Senjin or on the M2 collection is, though.
But you've played MUSHA though? Right? Isn't it on that MD Mini you have with Slap Fight MD?

If I'm incorrect and you don't own that mini and never played MUSHA I feel for you, since that's like one of the best shooters on the Mega Drive bar none.
I have never played Musha Aleste since I want to play it with the XE-1AP and I haven't gotten around to it yet. I am very curious as to why Despatche says the game is one of the worst shooters of that generation.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Well, I respect Despatche but he'd be way wrong on that...
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

Mero wrote:Only played a couple of credits of Robo Aleste so far, think I got to the second stage. I remember thinking large enemies are quite hard to take down, maybe I wasn't poweered up enough?
You basically need max power constantly to even have a prayer of beating the game.
heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

So, I took advantage of this being $100 and got it for my sister/nephew for x-mas (some of her old favs are included, and old games vaguely interest/amuse him).

And sorry if this has been stated about 300 times already, but what a absolutely strange/random collection. Eternal Champions? Naw... Clay Fighter? Of course. As I told my nephew:

"This is not at all representative of popular--or even good--titles for the Genesis. In fact, I think they just drew names from a hat"
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

m.sniffles.esq wrote:what a absolutely strange/random collection. Eternal Champions? Naw... Clay Fighter? Of course. As I told my nephew:
"This is not at all representative of popular--or even good--titles for the Genesis. In fact, I think they just drew names from a hat"
I think it's a pretty obvious "B-tier" list, as in, whatever is still good but wasn't included in the first Mini (Eternal Champions is there).

Mind you, B-tier in this case ends up to be a blessing, as the A-tier titles got overexposure over the times being endlessly released.
X - P - B
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Eternal Champions is on the first mini, but Eternal Champions Challenge from the Dark Side for Sega CD, which is more of a sequel, is nowhere to be seen on any mini.
Mero

Post by Mero »

Turrican wrote:[

Mind you, B-tier in this case ends up to be a blessing, as the A-tier titles got overexposure over the times being endlessly released.
Yeah, if it had just been the usual suspects I wouldn't have bought it.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Mero wrote:
Turrican wrote:[

Yeah, if it had just been The Usual Suspects I wouldn't have bought it.
Huh? That movie isn't included with the mini. ;)
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

I think it's a pretty obvious "B-tier" list, as in, whatever is still good but wasn't included in the first Mini (Eternal Champions is there).

Yeah, with a three button controller.
Have you ever tried to play Eternal Champions with a three button?
Spoiler
It's shitty
So, they finally get to rectify this by providing a six button and mining the Sega CD collection and we get... Clay Fighter!