Gleylancer Reprint

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Johnpv

Re: Gleylancer Reprint

Post by Johnpv »

davidwhangchoi wrote:
one of the shops came with a nice pre-order bonus: case cover for Western owners.

Johnpv wrote:What shop offered a Western Cover and do they offer the cover for sale separately?

Since I guess it got missed in the other stuff going on I'll ask again.
RawlingGunnar

Post by RawlingGunnar »

I missed the boat on this. If it's going to be sold for $200 or whatever, I might as well get the real thing.
IS THIS WORLD SPINNING AROUND
-
Should be "Trolling Gunner," amirite?
davidwhangchoi

Post by davidwhangchoi »

Johnpv wrote:
davidwhangchoi wrote:
one of the shops came with a nice pre-order bonus: case cover for Western owners.

Johnpv wrote:What shop offered a Western Cover and do they offer the cover for sale separately?

Since I guess it got missed in the other stuff going on I'll ask again.
Hi Johnpv,
i'm not on here as often and learning to get used to this forum format. i don't get any notification (i don't think there's an option) if i get quoted so i have no way of knowing if i got quoted or asked a question. I randomly just checked this thread and luckily saw your question at the top. i did miss it the first time. (somehow i need some alert if someone quotes me)

To answer your question: it was from a JYP shop called KENCHAN, and was a pre-order bonus exclusive from their shop and don't believe they sell the cover separately.
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

No problem, thanks for the reply!
jd213

Post by jd213 »

Had this in my Amazon JP cart when it first went up, but didn't bother checking out since I didn't expect it to be so limited, so I missed it.

Oh well, I wasn't impressed with the quality on Columbus Circle's Shubibiman Zero cart, the plastic feels cheap, is riveted together instead of screwed, and they didn't even bother molding the cart with slots so it will fit in a North American SNES. Their Famicom carts apparently use the wrong voltage (no idea how much difference it really makes but better safe than sorry) so their carts for other systems could be the same. And there's this 8-bit Music Power PCB that came bukkake'd with hot glue (not my pics): https://imgur.com/a/F2WMH/all
Shogun

Post by Shogun »

Thats a shame about the quality. I always wonder about these limited run reprints why they don't just keep orders open and when they get a couple hundred do a run. Its always this really short spurt and its over and if you missed out then too bad nobody wants your money.
pablumatic

Post by pablumatic »

Columbus Circle is doing another reprint of Gleylancer. Calling it a 30th anniversary edition. New cover art. Includes a soundtrack CD. Late September release.

https://twitter.com/ColumbusCircleC/sta ... 9798277120

I currently see it for preorder from BEEP for ¥ 7,480.

https://www.beep-shop.com/ec/products/l ... ry_id=1221

amazon.co.jp link (not able to order there yet)

https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B0B3X7LGLY
pablumatic

Post by pablumatic »

I blinked and it looks like BEEP sold out (at least for the moment).

Guess its gonna be like the last time. Very low print run.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Amazon has it in stock now. Get it quickly! I just got mine. I don't really need a 4th copy of this game, but screw it.
pablumatic

Post by pablumatic »

Had to place my order via Tenso (package forwarding service) on amazon.co.jp, but got my order in.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Seems there are shop-exclusive tokuten again. 1983 has poster + shitajiki. I still have no idea what the hell shitajiki are used for, though.

https://shop.1983.jp/shop/shop.cgi?id=34192

Kaden no Ken-chan seems to have something, as well, although it's not stated. Probably overseas English box art, I'm guessing

https://www.kadenken.com/view/item/000000001441
Last edited by Steven on Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
pablumatic

Post by pablumatic »

Back in stock at BEEP for those who care.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Alright, I'm switching to 1983. I've been wanting a Gleylancer poster ever since I saw the 2019 reissue's not-for-sale promotional poster over at Trader. They actually still have it up for some reason and they just moved it to a new location. They know me since I'm in there all the time, so I've been thinking of asking them to let me know if they ever plan to get rid of it so I can take it myself, but I guess I won't have to now. Now just watch this new poster suck compared to the 2019 one... lol.

I think I'm going to keep my Amazon preorder in for at least a week or so before cancelling it, though, just in case someone misses it. Might as well at least try to help someone so they don't get totally fucked by time zones.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

That looks pretty nice. Even the reprint is going for around $500 now according to Pricecharting, so this is very much worth jumping on.

I love this game and definitely would like a chance to own an official physical copy, even if it's a 3rd printing. But I literally just bought 14 Mega Drive games, 6 of which are shmups. I'm kinda tapped out on this front for now.
Steven wrote:Seems there are shop-exclusive tokuten again. 1983 has poster + shitajiki. I still have no idea what the hell shitajiki are used for, though.
It's written 下敷き, so literally 'underlay.' It's just a mat that you can put on your desk that makes it easier to write on than hard wood. Kids can also use them at school, they can be used as mouse pads, or just decoratively etc.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

evil_ash_xero wrote:
It looks awful to me. If they really wanted to have anime girls on it, I'd rather they go more 80's/early 90's style.
This is not a style of anime I like whatsoever.

I'd like something more like this.

Or more in line with Gleylancer's back cover art, minus the enormous head.

Agreed. I fucking hate the boxart for this honestly. Totally tosses out the classic look for that safe, squishy gacha anime look. What is it with anime and making the girls look so dramatically helpless? She looks so stupid. Like she's about to cry while slipping on a fucking banana peel.

Edit: Oh wait she IS crying. Man what a strong protagonist. Right on the cover. Sobbing like a big pussy right up front.
pablumatic

Post by pablumatic »

Gleylancer is getting a western physical release later this year from Retrobit.

Look in the lower left portion of this tweeted image.

https://twitter.com/RetroBitGaming/stat ... 3413032961

Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

XoPachi wrote:Agreed. I fucking hate the boxart for this honestly. Totally tosses out the classic look for that safe, squishy gacha anime look. What is it with anime and making the girls look so dramatically helpless? She looks so stupid. Like she's about to cry while slipping on a fucking banana peel.

Edit: Oh wait she IS crying. Man what a strong protagonist. Right on the cover. Sobbing like a big pussy right up front.
Have you played the game? If anything she might be less squishy on that cover.

The tears are because she's sad her father's trapped by the enemy far off in space, and the military's essentially told her they have to let him die because they don't have the strength to go directly at them yet.

It's only when pink-haired imouto girl tells her there's a GleyLancer prototype on board the capital ship they're on and convinces her to steal it and go after him that she gets determined. The pose symbolizes her reaching out, trying to get to him in time as transmissions reveal he & his crew are on the brink of dying.

If you were going to try & encapsulate what the game's about and represent the dramatic angle in a single image (Masaya clearly devoted a lot of cart space to the cut scenes as a selling point and to give it personality), I think they did a solid job with it. She's portrayed as an ensign who's still just a girl freaked out about her dad, who may or may not be future Geese Howard. She's not meant to be Eleanor Ripley.

Steven

Post by Steven »

Now Retro-Bit too, I see...

I might pass on this one since I really don't need a 4th copy of this game, but I guess it depends on some stuff, and of course it's Retro-Bit, so the cart quality will be way better than the bootleg-tier garbage that Columbus Circle is using, and maybe they'll have some interesting material to go with it like they did with the Toaplan and Gaiares releases.
Sengoku Strider wrote:her dad, who may or may not be future Geese Howard.
It's totally Geese Howard; he actually fell into future space at the end of Real Bout 1 instead of falling into Tekken 7.
moonblood

Post by moonblood »

A bit off topic I guess, but what do you guys think are the chances of a modern MUSHA release? Doesn't one of its versions have the Toaplan logo in the title screen? I mean I know that Compile made it, but if companies like Retro Bit can release the old Toaplan games again maybe there is a chance? who owns the rights?
It begins in deep space warped by evil power
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

moonblood wrote:A bit off topic I guess, but what do you guys think are the chances of a modern MUSHA release? Doesn't one of its versions have the Toaplan logo in the title screen? I mean I know that Compile made it, but if companies like Retro Bit can release the old Toaplan games again maybe there is a chance? who owns the rights?
Seems entirely plausible, and it was included on the Japanese Megadrive Mini. You're right about the Toaplan connection, at least in the Japanese version. Likely that Embracer Group owns it now?

Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

MUSHA does already exist with M2 emulation on the Switch online service. Of course some people are turned off by the online only subscription model and others will be fine with it.
moonblood

Post by moonblood »

Oh, I meant released on a Genesis / MD cart again like Gleylancer and those Toaplan games. It's one of those I really regret selling a bunch of years back even though I have an everdrive now. It would just be nice to own a physical copy of it again without having to pay silly money.
Steven

Post by Steven »

I got my 30th anniversary copy a few days ago, but I've been so busy that I didn't even open the box it shipped in until now. Put the arranged soundtrack in my computer and I'm listening to it now. It was worth it just for the soundtrack, as it's really good (only 3 tracks, though...) and that was what I was most interested in anyway. Haven't opened the game box itself yet, though, but I am expecting typical Columbus Circle (lack of) quality.
pablumatic

Post by pablumatic »

You can now preorder the western release of Gleylancer for the Sega Genesis from Castlemania and Limited Run for a fairly reasonable $54.99.

https://castlemaniagames.com/collection ... -s-edition

https://limitedrungames.com/collections ... on-genesis

Steven

Post by Steven »

Seems a bit sparse considering their Toaplan and Gaiares have extra stuff like the interviews with Yuge-san and the Gaiares dude, but I guess it's still nice.
moonblood

Post by moonblood »

aaand us europeans get to pay €70. thanks!
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

pablumatic wrote:You can now preorder the western release of Gleylancer for the Sega Genesis from Castlemania and Limited Run for a fairly reasonable $54.99.

https://castlemaniagames.com/collection ... -s-edition

https://limitedrungames.com/collections ... on-genesis

Way nicer(and more faithful) design than the other one before.
heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?
pablumatic

Post by pablumatic »

Yes. I'm glad they stuck closer to the original box art for this release than the new JP ones did.

Wish the cartridge wasn't translucent red but I'll still get a copy.
pablumatic

Post by pablumatic »

moonblood wrote:Oh, I meant released on a Genesis / MD cart again like Gleylancer and those Toaplan games. It's one of those I really regret selling a bunch of years back even though I have an everdrive now. It would just be nice to own a physical copy of it again without having to pay silly money.
Retro-bit has a form for reprint suggestions going on right now if you're interested in giving them your request.

https://twitter.com/RetroBitGaming/stat ... 2412976129
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

I'd be very happy to see Eliminate Down being reprinted.
More Bromances = safer people