Takahashi Meijin's crowdfunded shooter: Star Gagnant

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Steven

Takahashi Meijin's crowdfunded shooter: Star Gagnant

Post by Steven »

Just found out about this now, after it already ended, but here it is: https://ubgoe.com/projects/249

Looks like Switch only as of right now, sadly, and there is not a whole lot of stuff here to look at, but it's probably worth taking a look at once it's released.
Ghegs

Re: Takahashi Meijin's crowdfunded shooter: Star Gagnant

Post by Ghegs »

There's a gameplay video in there to show it off.

Thinking about it, it makes perfect sense that Takahashi Meijin would front a Star Soldier -revival and now I'm only wondering how it hasn't happened sooner. The player ship is similar to the Soldier Blade ship as well. Will keep an eye on this.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Look cool! Of course there's a "shooting watch" option on the main menu :P
Look like the game itself relies on autofire though.
Steven

Post by Steven »

I very much expect this to be a sort of PC Engine type of game. Although I don't remember where I saw it, I was under the impression that Takahashi Meijin at least at one point in time considered bullet hell to be a dodging game rather than a shooting game, so this is totally in line with what I expected when I saw that he was making a shooting game.

In any case, I am quite surprised that it took him this long to actually make a game, but since it's him, I'm absolutely going to check this out when it's released.
clippa

Post by clippa »

This is clearly just another Terarin game.
He's been happily pumping them out without crowdfunding so far.

The term "supervising" is suspicious. Makes me wonder how involved the guy actually is, and how different the game would have been without his input.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Probably not a whole lot
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

clippa wrote:This is clearly just another Terarin game.
Yeah, that's my problem, because his games are way too easy and simple. He's getting better but he's just really averse to making a game where you don't want to fall asleep to while playing.
clippa

Post by clippa »

Yeah. The campaigns are always a snooze fest, even on the highest difficulty.
I wish he'd just sack the campaigns off completely and just make, say, 3 really tight caravan stages per game, because that's always where the fun is.
Like you say though, he's getting better with every release.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

clippa wrote:This is clearly just another Terarin game.
He's been happily pumping them out without crowdfunding so far.
Unless you count making a version with unfinished graphical assets to fund a later Switch version.
clippa

Post by clippa »

I can't imagine he's selling enough copies on pc to fund anything.

When his games get ported, the publisher probably pays for the artist to make the graphical improvements and insists that they remain exclusive to the switch version.
That publishing deal is probably the thing that's keeping the lights on and allowing him to keep making games and self publish them on pc, so I'm all for it.

If the publisher are insisting the entire game is exclusive to the switch this time though. Well, fuck that, and hard.
I do like that bit on that kickstarter page where they say "The game in the video is under development and is being played on a PC, but it is actually scheduled to be released on the Nintendo Switch." :S
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

clippa wrote:I can't imagine he's selling enough copies on pc to fund anything.

When his games get ported, the publisher probably pays for the artist to make the graphical improvements and insists that they remain exclusive to the switch version.
That publishing deal is probably the thing that's keeping the lights on and allowing him to keep making games and self publish them on pc, so I'm all for it.

If the publisher are insisting the entire game is exclusive to the switch this time though. Well, fuck that, and hard.
I do like that bit on that kickstarter page where they say "The game in the video is under development and is being played on a PC, but it is actually scheduled to be released on the Nintendo Switch." :S
I'm going by this where the developer says he has to make achievements on PC before a Switch version is made. The games he published himself without crowd funding often use unfinished assets and the last game he put out, Moon Dancer, used traced artwork from GG Aleste (for the Steam version).
Last edited by BrianC on Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Redfox

Post by Redfox »

WOW COOL looking game!

I'm getting major Alzadick vibes and I loved that game on the PC Engine!
clippa

Post by clippa »

BrianC wrote:I'm going by this where the developer says he has to make achievements on PC before a Switch version is made. The games he published himself without crowd funding often use unfinished assets and the last game he put out, Moon Dancer, used traced artwork from GG Aleste (for the Steam version).
Thanks for the link!
I'm not sure how to interpret the word "achievements" there. Might have been lost in translation.
I'm guessing he just means that once the game is finished, released, and patched, and running well, then his publishers are happy to proceed with the console port.
I can see a few people in the thread have an issue with that, but it doesn't bother me personally. I think I prefer the economical look of the originals.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

According to the translation, the game is developed by Register Co., Ltd, the company that ports the Terarin games to Switch.
Creamy Goodness

Post by Creamy Goodness »

Good to see they seem to have spent more than 30 seconds on designing the backgrounds. For all of the criticisms of the Terarin games, my biggest beef is the fact they use the essentially the same backgrounds the entire games. They give ke that same feeling I get when I drive down a long stretch of road in the middle of nowhere.
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

clippa wrote:I can see a few people in the thread have an issue with that, but it doesn't bother me personally. I think I prefer the economical look of the originals.
Economical look?

His latest game, besides various game improvements made for the Switch, basically has a static black or blue screen in the background on PC, while the Switch version has good looking pixel backgrounds.
That "economical look" is not a stylistic choice, it's basically a developer taking a massive dump on a platform, releasing his game with unfinished visuals to test it and gather a few funds, and basically leave that version forgotten, without updates. And he even has the arrogance to act annoyed about being asked about updates to the PC versions.

If it was an isolated case of an enhanced port coming out later on another platform, that would be a different thing, that happens plenty of times.
But this one has done this systematically, and will surely do so again for his next game (just look at yet another game with the same "unfinished" look, lacking backgrounds; do you want to bet the Switch version will be massively improved?).

I'm all for supporting indie developers, and I spend too much money buying games on Steam from smaller developers, both to support their efforts, and obviously because I want to play those games.
But this guy doesn't deserve any support.
clippa

Post by clippa »

Economical look?
Haha, yes, I can totally understand why people would be less charitable.
I grew up playing the vectrex, so maybe I find that amount of blank black screen comforting.
That "economical look" is not a stylistic choice, it's basically a developer taking a massive dump on a platform, releasing his game with unfinished visuals to test it and gather a few funds, and basically leave that version forgotten, without updates. And he even has the arrogance to act annoyed about being asked about updates to the PC versions.
I hope that's not the case.
I think he'd admit himself that he's no artist, and what you get on pc is his one man band version of the game.
The artist the publishers hire is like a session musician coming in and redoing the guitar parts.

If you're right and the switch version has tweaks to the gameplay and stage design or whatever, then that's different.

Just picking one of his games at random, he does seem to make lots of updates - https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1464550
It doesn't look like he's just plonking it on steam and bailing.

I hope you're not right, anyway. The games have always felt quite well polished to me on pc, I've never had any issues.
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

clippa wrote:I hope that's not the case.
To be clear, I own all of his previous games on PC (though I have no intention of continuing to buy his titles; there's so many other developers who aren't doing what he does, I prefer to buy something else instead), so I do find them fun, and the soundtracks are a blast.

But, sadly, the way he handles his titles on PC/Switch has been a disgrace.
He does update the PC version during launch period, but then it's over, since it's time to devote his efforts to the Switch release.

And, he has responded to me (and others) about how the changes and improvements are exclusive to the Switch, so this is intentional on his behalf.
And yes, the differences aren't purely graphical. I'm sure someone who owns both versions of his latest game will be able to provide more details, but there's gameplay changes, particularly to one of the last bosses.
He has done this with his PC/Switch versions so far at least for 3 titles, and I bet with anyone that he will do the exact same thing with the upcoming Terra Flame.

I'm sorry for "venting" and going a bit OOT here, so I'll shut up now. :mrgreen:
clippa

Post by clippa »

No, it's fine. It's very interesting, and disappointing if true, that he's just treating the platform as a means to an end.

The way he does his games on pc anyway, with the demo you get the caravan mode with leaderboards for nothing and that's the best part of the game, so you could just play those without supporting him if you think he's being shady.
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

The game launches 5/25

Launch trailer:
https://twitter.com/stargagnant/status/ ... jFzZKLgefw
Steven

Post by Steven »

Demo out on the 11th, as well.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

I have a few Terarin games on the switch, so I noticed right away that this one is using basically the exact same assets. You can hear the same sound effects when you pick up certain items. I don't mean a similar sound effect-the exact same sound effects from Raging Blasters are in this new game. The interface and visuals look almost identical as well. The soundtrack is very similar, so I assume the same person did that work as well. That last point isn't a huge problem for me, since I like the music. It's always made by the same guy and he's really good. But still, this is a "new" game that looks, sounds and probably plays almost exactly like Raging Blasters.

Star Gagnant is releasing on the US Switch Shop for $38. Raging Blasters (the upgraded version compared to PC) is currently available on the Switch Eshop for $10. It's on a sale, but the normal price is still only $14.70.

So, for a game that looks, sounds and probably plays almost identically to Raging Blasters, we are expected to pay nearly three times as much. Why? Where is the incentive? Live Wire provides Cave games for $20 a pop. Raiden IV Mikado is $25-30, physical. So it's not as if the "big names" in this industry are commanding premium prices and Terarin is providing a "budget" alternative of comparable quality.

Hell, if you have a ps3 and the fortitude to brave the shitty ps3 storefront, you can probably still buy the (probably crap) ps1 ports of all the Star Soldier games. For $7 each.

Or, y'know, there's emulation...

I want to hear the logic for this price increase. What is the value proposition that merits nearly three times the asking price? I don't see anything in the visuals, sound or gameplay that would demand three times as much work on the development side.

Edit: Also yes, the developer behind these titles provides superior versions to the Switch and never updates the PC editions of his games. Very cool and consumer-friendly behavior. Since I've only ever purchased his titles on the switch, this doesn't affect me personally. But it's still shitty.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

You're paying extra to have Takahashi Meijin's name and cartoon likeness slapped on to the game, with the added "gimmick" of tying your weapon's strength/firepower to how fast you can mash the fire button.

Finally, what all us shmup-dads have been waiting for, a reason to mash!
jehu

Post by jehu »

EmperorIng wrote:You're paying extra to have Takahashi Meijin's name and cartoon likeness slapped on to the game, with the added "gimmick" of tying your weapon's strength/firepower to how fast you can mash the fire button.

Finally, what all us shmup-dads have been waiting for, a reason to mash!
It's the spiritual sequel to Irem's Thunder Blaster that we've all been pining for. All of us! Thank you, Master Takahashi!!
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Sima Tuna wrote: Edit: Also yes, the developer behind these titles provides superior versions to the Switch and never updates the PC editions of his games. Very cool and consumer-friendly behavior. Since I've only ever purchased his titles on the switch, this doesn't affect me personally. But it's still shitty.
Terarin's latest PC game, Terra Flame hasn't announced a Switch version, and recently had a huge update. Star Gagnant is from the company that updated the Terarin games on Switch, but I'm not sure if Terarin is involved.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

BrianC wrote:
Sima Tuna wrote: Edit: Also yes, the developer behind these titles provides superior versions to the Switch and never updates the PC editions of his games. Very cool and consumer-friendly behavior. Since I've only ever purchased his titles on the switch, this doesn't affect me personally. But it's still shitty.
Terarin's latest PC game, Terra Flame hasn't announced a Switch version, and recently had a huge update. Star Gagnant is from the company that updated the Terarin games on Switch, but I'm not sure if Terarin is involved.
https://www.nintendo.com/store/products ... me-switch/
Terra Flame is on switch. If the graphics are the same between Switch and PC then it will be the first time Terarin has done so. A cursory comparison (between switch eshop and steam storefront) shows the same preview images. As in, the exact same screenshots. So I don't know if the game uses the exact same graphics between both versions or if they have different visual styles but used the same preview images for the Switch eshop because of laziness.

I don't know if Terarin is involved or not in the newest game. I'm just explaining that they (whether it's terarin, this other company or the dev) are using the same assets from Raging Blasters in this newest game, and they expect you to pay three times as much for it. I can tell when a power up get sound is the same as the sound from Raging Blasters.

I wouldn't be bitching if this game were priced the same as their other products. But with reused assets on a game 3x the price, combined with some big name endorsement, the whole situation seems suspicious. Don't be surprised if the game turns out kinda mediocre or ass.

Don't get me started on the idea of a shmup that encourages mashing. If you intentionally tried, I don't think you could add any single element to your shmup that would piss me off as much as that. :lol:
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

oops. I stand corrected. Looks like it's self published by Terarin this time around.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

https://www.nintendo.com/store/products ... nt-switch/

Wait, this game will have voice acting? Nice.
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

For those complaining about the price, I can understand that point, but for me personally, I would not mind one bit paying $60 for this game. I would feel much happier paying full price for this, knowing I'll get tons of gameplay out of it and something I'll always go back to. Also, feels good supporting indie projects like this as long as they're good. On the other hand, that very rare occasion I get a AAA game, I am almost always regretful of the purchase and kick myself in the but.

Anyhow, game is looking nice. Love the music and the very obvious 16-bit inspiration.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I think I'll get this game right after I'm done with R-Type Final 3 Evolved.