Looking for horizontal top view games

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
zobook

Looking for horizontal top view games

Post by zobook »

Hi, this is my first post. I was planning to learn basic Unity by doing a simple SHMUP (having some previous programming experience in several languajes).

Since most modern screens are all widescreen, a horizontal shooter is a better option in my opinion but i like the "look" of a top view shooter.

So, the question is: There are horizontally scrolling shooters that are at the same time "top view"?

What i mean is that the movement is horizontal, from left to right but the ship and terrain are viewed from above, so pushing "up" will efectively move the ship "to his left".

I want to try some and see if i like it before starting. If i don't then i will default to side-view horizontal scrolling.

Thanks in advance.
BulletMagnet

Re: Looking for horizontal top view games

Post by BulletMagnet »

The title that comes most immediately to mind is this one, though I haven't actually played it myself.
zobook

Post by zobook »

BulletMagnet wrote:The title that comes most immediately to mind is this one, though I haven't actually played it myself.
Yes, that exactly what i'm talking about!! Thanks a lot. I hope i can look up some other games, because by te look of it (i just watched the video on Steam) i didn't like the way it looks, but it may be because of the artistic choice of graphics and not necessarily about the top-view-side-scroll aspect.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Not sure it counts, but a handful of games originally released for vertically-oriented arcade cabinets got home ports which allowed you to play the games full-screen on a horizontal TV, essentially "flipping" the game on its side; I believe the US release of Raiden Project for PS1 has this option, but I'm sure there were at least one or two others.
pulsemod

Post by pulsemod »

I'm pretty sure gunbird 2 on dreamcast has it as a visual option as well, but any time I've seen a game do this it tends to look awkward or just visually off. the only other kinds I can think of have 360 degree movement, like sinistar etc.
DMC

Post by DMC »

The Amiga game Cardiaxx may fit? Although the background is mostly just black space, the space ships seem to apply.

Pic:
Spoiler
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Uridium, Uridium II, and Hyper Sentinel definitely fit.
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

some stages in Sturmwind play out this way
blazinglazers69

Post by blazinglazers69 »

Pretty sure most Ikaruga ports allow this orientation.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

I tried to play the Saturn port of Shienryu this way and hated it.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

They don't have forced scrolling as you describe, but look at what are sometimes called "vertizontals" - Giga Wing 1 and 2, Night Raid, Soukyugurentai, Radiant Silvergun, and some more recent titles like Caladrius Blaze.
davyK

Post by davyK »

Thunderforce II has levels like that. Sturmwind has too.

Any console port of a vertical shooter that has a TATE mode can be viewed and played as a horizontal "top down view" shooting game. Older ports such as Layer Section on the Sega Saturn lets you rotate the image and adjust the controls so it plays like a hori-shooter. (ie. UP on the dpad would move the shift to its left , or up the screen). This let people play that port full screen without having to rotate their TV.

Most modern ports let you rotate the image and also configure the direction controls to make it play like a horizontal shooter. Of course the score will be displayed on its side but otherwise the game is then a horizontal shooter.
sunnshiner

Post by sunnshiner »

Ok, bear with me here please, I came here to say Uridium but then remembered a couple of games that were released on the Spectrum in a twin pack, one was a space shmup where your ship gained super autofire against bosses and the other had you flying a magic carpet against a desert backdrop and was (for the speccy) super colourful. I can't for the life of me remember what they were called though :lol:

edit- found them, it was Fast 'N' Furious + Thunderceptor
heli

Post by heli »

It is 16:9 not 4:3.
You all give 4:3 games, exept the first answer.
sunnshiner

Post by sunnshiner »

heli wrote:It is 16:9 not 4:3.
You all give 4:3 games, exept the first answer.
Maybe there aren't (m)any 16:9 top down horizontal shmups?

heli

Post by heli »

For a 4 player game it might work.
Each enemy wave 4 times in screen so everybody has something to shoot.
Just rotate your screen for a 1 or 2 player game.

Take a look at the border-down stage when you have horizontal play with topdown view,
i think it is level 5 with the big battle ship with turrets.
velo

Post by velo »

Crisis Wing is a verti by default but has a pretty thorough hori option that rotates both the controls and all the HUD elements like the score. The only hint that you're playing the game sideways, that I noticed, is the planetoid surface on the title screen being on the left, but even that's not too weird since it's a space rock.

Maybe an enterprising dev can make a game with natural-looking upside down and right-to-left scrolling options so diehard Abadox and Sky Kid fans are covered.
zobook

Post by zobook »

Thanks a lot for all the replies!!! Now i have a bunch of games to find, check out and test.

Thanks again!!