Slap Fight 3671 UPDATE: is basically cancelled

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Steven

Re: Slap Fight 3671, the sequel to Slap Fight MD

Post by Steven »

Something resembling an update that isn't an update: https://twitter.com/MickyAlbert/status/ ... 4481773572

Looks like he's going to say something about the crowdfunding on the 7th.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Ichikawa was on the Sweep Record steam today and it seems like he's aiming for the end of April for the Kickstarter now. I don't remember exactly what he said, but he's preparing stuff for the physical edition. I guess there's going to be some sort of book included in the physical version, and it's looking like that book is going to be like 200 pages long in Japanese, but he's apparently also doing an English version of it as well for international people. I guess this book is about or includes information about the game's music, and with 8 musicians doing separate complete soundtracks for the game, it's going to be pretty long.

I might be wrong about some stuff since I don't really remember, but this is what I do remember. The stream is apparently still going even now, but here's the URL for it for those of you that know Japanese: https://youtu.be/ARnCQp-nk_s
MidnightWolf

Post by MidnightWolf »

All I can say, is that it's a good job Exa-Arcadia doesn't have proper arcade marquees on their cabinets.

Because if you thought "Puck Man" was dangerous, just imagine seeing "Cock Slap Fight" in your local arcade. :lol:
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

Sorry for bumping this thread, but has anyone heard anything more about Slap Fight 3671's crowdfunding campaign?

I've been playing several Mindware games recently, in particularly I've been having great fun with ALIEN FIELD 3671, so I'm even curious about what an updated take on Slap Fight would be like (especially with Koshiro on board; I see his name anywhere, and it's guaranteed I buy whatever game it is :mrgreen:)

Steven

Post by Steven »

No news as of yet. The last we heard was on that radio show he was on several months ago, and there he said something about the music being the hold-up, as I guess one of the musician's family members died or something, but nothing since then. I'll definitely be here with any news that comes out immediately, though.
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

Steven wrote:No news as of yet. The last we heard was on that radio show he was on several months ago, and there he said something about the music being the hold-up, as I guess one of the musician's family members died or something, but nothing since then. I'll definitely be here with any news that comes out immediately, though.
Thank you. :)
Steven

Post by Steven »

Sure, no problem. The delay is very disappointing and I REALLY hope this thing materializes soon.
Manualmartin

Post by Manualmartin »

Afraid it might be in the freezer. Checked with Tatsujin and they haven't heard anything in a while.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Alright, thanks for checking with them. I REALLY want this to happen and it seems it's kind of in some sort of limbo or something.
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

Manualmartin wrote:Afraid it might be in the freezer. Checked with Tatsujin and they haven't heard anything in a while.
Thanks for the update, Martin (even if it isn't the best of news). :)

On a somewhat related note, Mikito Ichikawa is actually someone you could consider partnering with one of these days.
He works in a very old school, "basement developer" sort of way (like many Japanese indie developers still do, basically selling their wares in local conventions, and struggling to reach an expanded user base), but his work is actually a lot of fun, he really knows how to do simple, addictive, pick up and play arcade gameplay rather well.

For example, I have been spending quite some time with ALIEN FIELD 3671 (which is a bit like PAC-MAN on crack!), and the rather charming Space Mouse 2, both featuring great soundtracks by former Namco composer Junko Ozawa.
Steven wrote:Alright, thanks for checking with them. I REALLY want this to happen and it seems it's kind of in some sort of limbo or something.
Maybe he will return to it after his next title, Uootoy 3671, is out (which should be soon-ish). :wink:
Steven

Post by Steven »

Today I met Ichikawa-san. This project is officially dead, although it seems he is trying to rework this into something else/different.

He did sign my Slap Fight MD and we talked about the game for a while, though, so at least that's pretty cool. He is a very, VERY high-tension sort of dude, the type that's always bouncing off the walls and stuff. Definitely not a stereotypical programmer.
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

Steven wrote:Today I met Ichikawa-san. This project is officially dead, although it seems he is trying to rework this into something else/different.

He did sign my Slap Fight MD and we talked about the game for a while, though, so at least that's pretty cool. He is a very, VERY high-tension sort of dude, the type that's always bouncing off the walls and stuff. Definitely not a stereotypical programmer.
Thanks for the update, even if the news aren't the best. :)
It's funny you mention him being a very "high-tension sort of dude", since he keeps posting images on twitter of relaxing places and activities, so one gets the idea that he is the opposite of that. :mrgreen:

On an (un)related note, since you met him (and he was probably promoting his new release, Uootoy 3671, which he advertised that he was doing today at an indie event), do you know what's up with that, I mean, when is it supposed to launch?
I ask because it was supposed to launch in early March, he delayed it until yesterday (and the game is supposedly finished for some time; he just delayed it to include some extra levels), but release time came and went, and nothing appeared on Steam (the release date was even changed to "coming soon" a few hours after):

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1947440/Uootoy_3671/

thank you
Steven

Post by Steven »

I'm not entirely sure what is up with Uootoy 3671, but I think he said it was already released. Not sure what is up with that, but maybe Steam messed something up. Today he also showed off a new game called Denshi Life, which looks pretty interesting. I asked for a recommendation from his newer games and said I like Toaplan-style games and he recommended Hover Attack, which I thought looked pretty cool anyway, so I will definitely check that out.

He's kind of hard to talk to since he kept suddenly walking away mid-conversation to go talk to other people, bouncing from person to person before coming back, and randomly talking about completely different stuff, but he seems like a nice guy.
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

Steven wrote:I'm not entirely sure what is up with Uootoy 3671, but I think he said it was already released. Not sure what is up with that, but maybe Steam messed something up. Today he also showed off a new game called Denshi Life, which looks pretty interesting. I asked for a recommendation from his newer games and said I like Toaplan-style games and he recommended Hover Attack, which I thought looked pretty cool anyway, so I will definitely check that out.

He's kind of hard to talk to since he kept suddenly walking away mid-conversation to go talk to other people, bouncing from person to person before coming back, and randomly talking about completely different stuff, but he seems like a nice guy.
Thank you! :wink:

By the way, if you are unfamiliar with his recent titles, personally my favourite is ALIEN FIELD 3671. It's kind of a PAC-MAN/Dig Dug crossover, on steroids. Very fun score attack game.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/926350/ALIEN_FIELD/

Another "dot-eater" game of his that is quite enjoyable, but with a much slower pace (it even has a turn-based mode), is Space Mouse 2:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1282 ... e_Mouse_2/
Steven

Post by Steven »

He also recommended Heiankyo Alien and Space Mouse 2, but I'll probably take a look at all of his games soon enough. Hover Attack does look really interesting.
DietSoap

Post by DietSoap »

Steven wrote:Today I met Ichikawa-san. This project is officially dead, although it seems he is trying to rework this into something else/different.
The fact we had to find this out through a random fan meeting is very silly. It makes you wonder how many of the shmup vaporware projects are officially canned, and the devs simply couldn't be assed to publicly announce it. I imagine Strikers 2020 and a couple announced M2 projects are probably canned behind the scenes. :lol:
Steven

Re: Slap Fight 3671 UPDATE: is basically cancelled

Post by Steven »

Yeah, it's really disappointing. Maybe he did announce it on Twitter or something and nobody saw it, but that's how it is. At least we were able to find out, one way or another.