Platinum Games announces Sol Cresta, Sequel to Terra Cresta

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
FunktionJCB

Re: Platinum Games announces Sol Cresta, Sequel to Terra Cre

Post by FunktionJCB »

Manualmartin wrote:I'm curious to what neo classic game Platinum will do next, they've revealed the themes and there are more STG coming.
https://www.platinumgames.com/games/neo ... ade-series
And thankfully, as a fan of the genre, beat'em ups as well. :)
The next one is supposed to be a beat'em up. Bring on Yuzo Koshiro for the soundtrack again, and I'm on board!
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

Is the demo out on console as well?
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

DenimDemon wrote:Is the demo out on console as well?
Yes.
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

I think the Demo sold me on the game. Much better than expected from the brief trial. Now I want to try the whole thing. Will be definitely grabbing this in a near future.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I'm saving this for Christmas.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Manualmartin wrote:I'm curious to what neo classic game Platinum will do next, they've revealed the themes and there are more STG coming.
https://www.platinumgames.com/games/neo ... ade-series
We've got a beat 'em up game, a block breaking game, a sci-fi themed soccer game, a side-scrolling action game, another shmup, a racing game, a puzzle game, a top down game, and a robot-themed fighting game. I'm curious as to what these are. I'm especially interested in the Constella game, the puzzle game, and the robot fighting game.
Zeether

Post by Zeether »

New DLC got announced, it's the ships from Moon Cresta and both Terra Cresta games. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pV7siLd ... e=youtu.be
<Aquas> EDMOND DROPPED OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL TO SMOKE COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF OPIUM
<Zeether> shoe failed college again <croikle> credit feed
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

It's only for the Arcade Mode, I noticed.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I wonder if they're all going to look bad, as well.
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

Besides the DLC, there's a free update out that adds a couple of stages (5 and 7) to Caravan Mode.

The game is currently on sale on the various platforms it's available from, making the price tag a bit more digestible.

Despite the misgivings some have with the graphics, it's a really fun game, and well worth a look.
Lander

KAMIYAAAAAAA

Post by Lander »

Jesus christ, they need to patch their crimes against rendering first. All that modern power, yet the throwback ships manage to look worse than their original incarnations.

Platinum never loses its luster... Until they release three clangers in a row and scuff up a couple of notable franchises in the process :|
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

evil_ash_xero wrote:I wonder if they're all going to look bad, as well.
Telling from the trailer, they all look like they have Vaseline smeared all over them.
BIL

Post by BIL »

I blame Kamiya's bald shiney fuckin dome tbh. STOP BLINDING YOUR GFX ARTISTS YOU BIG SLAPHEAD :O

Game sounds fun but horeh shiet it's depressing to look at. Like a toilet clogged with poop. 3;

Oh, how cute, you think you can fool me with that shitty rug (■`w´■) FORGET IT JACK (`w´メ)
Spoiler
DietSoap

Post by DietSoap »

The sale price is still ass for how fucking ugly the game is. I played the demo and it was fun, but the nasty graphics devalue the game so much for me.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

You guys are still shitting on the game long after its release? Come on, it’s not actually a bad game, in fact it’s a really good one…
BIL

Post by BIL »

I'm sure it's great but it look like poop :shock:

Wait -
xxx1993 wrote:shitting
Good one x93 Image
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Look, if Ser Flash, Shmup Junkie, and Electric Playground were all positive with this, then this game can’t be that bad. This board is way too negative.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Yeah, but

it

look

POOP
:shock:

This isn't rocket science. If you want your product to appeal, DON'T MAKE IT LOOK LIKE SHIT.

And believe me, earth/grass tones with a side of gunmetal are my mahfuckin jam. I've never fired up Daisenpu or Raiden and thought "blimey, how unfortunate." But THIS, sweet Jesus.

Again, I blame that slaphead Kamiya. Who could see anything with a bioluminescent slaphead like him in the office? Put a hat on, you racist cracker asshole! :O
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

It doesn't look all that bad to me either.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I don't really want to revisit the game (let alone its leaderboards) if the threat of a soft-lock is still lurking. Playing an hour long game only to have it freeze on stage 6 and lose all my score/progress is not my idea of a good time.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

EmperorIng wrote:I don't really want to revisit the game (let alone its leaderboards) if the threat of a soft-lock is still lurking. Playing an hour long game only to have it freeze on stage 6 and lose all my score/progress is not my idea of a good time.
Which port are you playing? PS4 or Switch? And are you doing Arcade or Dramatic?
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I bought the PC version. I like it so far, but Platinum needs to learn that petroleum jelly is for skin, not video game graphics.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

And I plan on getting it for the PS4 because the Switch version is considered the weakest port.
Lander

INABAAAAAAAAAA

Post by Lander »

Being a crime against rendering doesn't preclude it from being a good game ;) I'd even say it has the prestigious Platinum Touch insofar as mechanics and overall design, but that only makes having to stare at a botch-job to play it all the more tragic. Moreso if you poke through the steam card graphics and realise there's some rather nice high-def art behind the faux-retro technical mess.

I've enough computer graphics knowledge to eyeball how and where they went wrong, and it is genuinely amateur hour stuff. Half-pixel offsets, non-integer scaling, non-quantized mesh positioning, a veritable laundry list of things that could have been avoided by employing well-known 2D best practices. It defies all reason coming from the same people as Okami, Astral Chain, and Nier au Tomato, and is still baffling a year-ish later.

And come on. I've been known to enjoy some Shmup Junkie, but the man is a passionate hype artist long before he's a critic :lol:
Positivity is well and good, but disappointment will only hit harder if you let it obscure the negative until it's too late.
BloodHawk

Post by BloodHawk »

EmperorIng wrote:I don't really want to revisit the game (let alone its leaderboards) if the threat of a soft-lock is still lurking. Playing an hour long game only to have it freeze on stage 6 and lose all my score/progress is not my idea of a good time.
That's exactly the reason why I stopped playing too. The graphics never really bothered me much. It's a fun game and I really enjoyed playing it a lot when it worked, but after the 3rd soft lock where it negated my best run that I was an hour and a half into I lost interest. I don't know if any patches since then have *really* fixed it (I'm on Steam). I might try it again sometime later though.
Lander

MIKAMIIIIII (was not actually involved pls no blame)

Post by Lander »

And well, yes, the softlock. I think I read a steam patchnote saying they fixed that, but didn't go back and confirm firsthand. It ate my best run too :?

Given how common it was, there's no way that didn't come up in testing. Which makes shipping with it, and taking so long to issue a fix, even more bizarre.
Almost as if Platinum's DS2-era-Fromsoft phantom B-Team didn't have a complete grasp of Unity, but that's crazy tin hat talk :shock:
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Does using the Phoenix attack still cause the game to softlock? It's why when I get the game, and I will, I'll only use it when it's absolutely necessary. In fact, I got a softlock while training for the game in the Trial Version, I was playing Arcade Mode and I ended up using the Phoenix on the first boss, then the game crashed. Only time that happened to be so far, actually.
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

Nothing softlocks anything.

There are some more changes along with the DLC ships. There used to be a cute trick where you could juggle a formation icon at the end of a stage until after your powerups have reset, you would then be able to carry the formation over to the next stage. Thats been patched out for some reason, you will always start a new stage with no formations.
The escape sequence has been altered somewhat. There is now a really over-the-top screen shaking effect and you no longer lose lives during this section - you can still die, but will just receive a score penalty for the number of deaths at the end. So no more game overs during the escape sequence and you'll start the next loop with your lives intact. I'm not sure if this is a good thing, that section was hard even with slowdown and was a nice way to wipe off some lives between loops. I don't think the rest of the game is overall that difficult and it's easy to rack up lives. Now it's going to be possible to earn enough extras to kamikaze through platinum hard mode after the first bunch of loops. It does make the escape sequence more bearable for the DLC ships though, which dont have shields.

DLC ships are a lot of fun, no more reliance on slow down. Wing Galiber can do the old Hybris trick of spamming your formation attacks and then deliberately getting hit so you can restock your formation attacks when you power back up. It also has much higher attack power and can fill that meter up much quicker.

CR47 is nightmare mode: the starter ship can only shoot one bullet at a time and if you dont dock with the other ship sections directly from above you'll kill yourself!
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

The escape sequence is easy now? That’s good news. This applies to the Dramatic Mode also, right?
Zeether

Post by Zeether »

Wing Galibur's charge shot is insane, I speedkilled several bosses by just spamming it
<Aquas> EDMOND DROPPED OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL TO SMOKE COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF OPIUM
<Zeether> shoe failed college again <croikle> credit feed