Embracer buys Tatsujin aka Torplan back catalog

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Nate123

Embracer buys Tatsujin aka Torplan back catalog

Post by Nate123 »

https://embracer.com/release/embracer-g ... -freemode/
Manualmartin wrote:Hello,
Long-time lurker, finally time to get an account. My name is Martin Lindell and I work as a senior advisor for the Embracer Group and formulated the strategy on retro and classic games.

Can happily confirm that this won't affect existing agreements and Tatsujin will continue to manage the Toaplan games making all the creative and commercial decision, but with greater empowerment as they now fully own them and not only represent them as a licensing agent for the former owner.

We would be happy to see the M2 versions being released globally, but that decision is up to M2 as a licensee to decide how, when and where to publish, market and sell their games.
Seems I jumped the gun on the worst outcome so all hail our new corporate overloads. :)
Last edited by Nate123 on Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hamfighterx

Re: Fuck Embracer Group

Post by hamfighterx »

The key part from that link:
We are also proud to officially announce that we recently acquired Tatsujin which is Embracer’s first studio located in Japan. Tatsujin is led by Masahiro Yuge, one of the founders of the iconic arcade games studio Toaplan known for games such as Truxton, Snow Bros and Flying Shark. Acquiring the rights to the Toaplan catalogue separately in another deal means Tatsujin with several employees that once created the Toaplan games can now curate these classics and shepherd them into the future.
Not clear exactly what the implications are for M2 Toaplan Arcade Garage releases though. Certainly possible that Embracer is simply inheriting any previous Tatsujin-M2 license agreement and it will continue in effect. On the other hand, maybe this is the reason for the very conspicuous silence from M2 about the next Toaplan release.

Oh, Embracer also acquired Limited Run Games, and the IP rights to the Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit (!!!)
Untitled1

Post by Untitled1 »

interested to see what happens. they've reunited the original creators of the legendary toaplan IP with the entire catalogue of toaplan games, which they also acquired. Plus they acquired Limited Run Games which houses a proprietary engine for porting old classic games to modern platforms and releasing physical copies of said games.

hopefully it all works out in our favor, and we start getting some pretty high quality toaplan releases, on physical media, releasing more frequently moving forward.

one can hope...
Last edited by Untitled1 on Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nugs

Post by Nugs »

Freemode also acquired Bitwave Games, a Swedish studio with passion for retro games. With the backing of Freemode, Bitwave can expand the internal development team and build a publishing team. Bitwave will bring the highly regarded shoot ’em up games from Toaplan to PC and publish the NES/Famicom classic platformer Gimmick! on console and modern consoles in the west.
I wonder what this will look like.
Just emulated ports on Steam?
Astro City II

Post by Astro City II »

If it means these games release on more formats than just PS4/Switch then it's a good thing. M2's global approach is garbage.
BIL

Post by BIL »

I thought this was the new Touhou :shock:

edit: or Granzella Image
Spoiler
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Astro City II wrote:M2's global approach is garbage.
Yeah. I get that they do good work, but they don't seem to give two shits about anyone outside of Japan. I'm not saying they have to go produce a bunch of plastic discs and crap, but at least put your games on the US/UK and Japanese online storefronts instead of just Japan. Why not? You dump the game on the eshop and if somebody buys it, great. If not, who cares? Garbage floods the eshop every day. Nintendo obviously don't mind people publishing games on switch that few people will buy. But I bet more people would buy M2 releases on switch if the process were easier.

You barely have to translate shmups. M2 could put the Japanese version of Esprade Psi on the switch US eshop, completely untranslated, and nobody would give a fuck. There's no excuse.
Spoiler
"Make a japanese account." The point is, that's one more barrier to entry for someone trying to enjoy their games. The consumer has to make a new account for another country, in a language they don't speak, and then go through some process to acquire gift cards or something that will let them put yen into their japanese wallet. Then navigate menus they can't read to purchase games in a currency they don't use.
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

Astro City II wrote:If it means these games release on more formats than just PS4/Switch then it's a good thing. M2's global approach is garbage.
You can say that again.

I dislike consolidation of studios and publishers, but at least Embracer does a good job making older titles readily available (and offering decent support), and their mention of PC titles is potentially good news for those who enjoy shmups on the platform.
It's extremely annoying that many of these titles are locked to one of two platforms, instead of being readily available to everyone.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

FunktionJCB wrote: It's extremely annoying that many of these titles are locked to one of two platforms, instead of being readily available to everyone.
Or you can see it this way: the less the ports they have to develop, the more the time they have for new titles.

Not a fan of westerners (or koreans, for that matter) acquiring classic Japanese IPs nor of their porting qualities, but Yuge was licensing everything to anyone lately, so nothing is lost?
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

Bassa-Bassa wrote:Or you can see it this way: the less the ports they have to develop, the more the time they have for new titles.
Or, they can hire a couple of extra guys, to handle the porting to an additional platform?
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Astro City II wrote:If it means these games release on more formats than just PS4/Switch then it's a good thing. M2's global approach is garbage.
Seems like they are only planning PC ports, which means nothing to me. I need my console ports. If this means Toaplan Arcade Garage gets killed off early, these guys can fuck right off >:O
BIL

Post by BIL »

Sumez wrote:If this means Toaplan Arcade Garage gets killed off early, these guys can fuck right off >:O
If that happens I hope they all die of AIDS. Image

EDIT: LITERALLY THIS Image
Spoiler

EDIT2: THIS WORKS TOO TBH Image
Spoiler
Last edited by BIL on Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

Sumez wrote:Seems like they are only planning PC ports, which means nothing to me. I need my console ports.
Before jumping to conclusions, lets wait a bit.

The same developer is releasing Gimmick! Special Edition on both PC, and Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4, so I'm sure this announcement won't be an exclusion of console ports, and things going PC only from now on.

Speaking of which, here's the newly released trailer for Gimmick:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaHzshMmRkU

---

Additionally, as I posted elsewhere, they announced further details, and the first wave of titles (coming to Steam and GOG) includes Zero Wing, and Out Zone, whose Steam pages are now up:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2011900/Zero_Wing/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2022920/Out_Zone/

Here's a video with their announcement, showing gameplay footage (and a small interview with Masahiro Yuge):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0w9v2-DpxY
BIL

Post by BIL »

I'm hoping it'll just mean more money and exposure for Tatsujin/Yuge and co. What'd really take the edge off atm is some confirmation from M2 et al that they're still onboard. It's not like their boutique approach and simpler ACA-style releases would even conflict, necessarily, especially if they don't plan to expand beyond PS4/Switch.
SPM

Post by SPM »

Sima Tuna wrote:
Astro City II wrote:M2's global approach is garbage.
Yeah. I get that they do good work, but they don't seem to give two shits about anyone outside of Japan. I'm not saying they have to go produce a bunch of plastic discs and crap, but at least put your games on the US/UK and Japanese online storefronts instead of just Japan.
I know this is an English speaking forum... but come on! Give a shit or two about the rest of us as well :lol: :P
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

If they haven't announced them for consoles, the M2 Garage entries may still be coming, after all.

FunktionJCB wrote:
Bassa-Bassa wrote:Or you can see it this way: the less the ports they have to develop, the more the time they have for new titles.
Or, they can hire a couple of extra guys, to handle the porting to an additional platform?
Or, even better: hire those but to help with the new game developments.

Really, for studios like M2, small in size and dedicated to low-sales genres, resources are extremely limited, and finding the right people, anything but easy. They made the Switch jump at the cost of a lot of time and resources as the system was never powerful enough for their demands. Mantaining games for Windows and Western markets seems clearly beyond their capabilities. Unless you want them to deliver Minis-like quality.
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

Just my personal stand. Couldn’t care less about pc ports. Good news for the pc crew. Now if this halts M2 Shootriggers Out Zone…fuck them.
Pretty curious on what will happen. And if M2 will shed some light on this.
heli

Post by heli »

If only M2 had released Batsugun first instead of 8 bit games, before its all to late.
Maybe now we get a dodonpachi all versions on 1 disc ?
Dont tell anyone they might hijack also.

M2 you can still release Batsugun !, hurry.
Its december before you know we need presents, alot.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

heli wrote:If only M2 had released Batsugun first instead of 8 bit games, before its all to late.
This. Anything post-Snow Brothers, actually. Many to pick.
apatheticTurd

Post by apatheticTurd »

For what it's worth, M2's president tweeted "I think it'll be fine" after being asked what this news mean for the Arcade Garage series.
Ice Beam

Post by Ice Beam »

Bassa-Bassa wrote:Mantaining games for Windows and Western markets seems clearly beyond their capabilities.
The two Darius collections (Cozmic Collection Arcade and G-Darius) on Steam are fantastic, so I don't see how it's beyond their capabilities at all.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

I recall reading their interviews about why they don't port their games on PC, they said something like "windows 10 has input lag that we cannot fix" and this is clearly BS excuse. Just look at the Taito collections they run fine on PC/Win 10, thanks to Taito pointing a gun to M2.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

PC doesn't need shmup ports because it has emulation, dude! :P
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

All I gotta say is .. embrace deez nuts. I'm expecting low-effort Steam ports at best. At least it looks like M2 won't be affected.
reckon luck

Post by reckon luck »

I agree with this. I'm still mad they didn't patch english into the Ketsui JP release. :(

Fingers crossed they're more competent than City Connection or Dotemu.
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

Ice Beam wrote:The two Darius collections (Cozmic Collection Arcade and G-Darius) on Steam are fantastic, so I don't see how it's beyond their capabilities at all.
It isn't, of course. And thankfully, plenty of Japanese developers have been looking at Steam as an important platform for their titles.

But, for some "niche" fanbases, I guess it just makes sense to continue to make shmup titles as harder to get as possible. Put all your efforts on a single platform (one that is underpowered already at launch, which brings all sorts of lag problems with plenty of titles, or with random problems like, for example, if you decide to use a non-wireless controller). Release many of your titles only in Japan, ideally in physical editions, and with exclusive titles/DLC only for certain stores (so that it gets as pricey as possible to buy a game). You know, "lock", or price people out of buying these games.

I'll never get this logic.
Manualmartin

Post by Manualmartin »

Hello,
Long-time lurker, finally time to get an account. My name is Martin Lindell and I work as a senior advisor for the Embracer Group and formulated the strategy on retro and classic games.

Can happily confirm that this won't affect existing agreements and Tatsujin will continue to manage the Toaplan games making all the creative and commercial decision, but with greater empowerment as they now fully own them and not only represent them as a licensing agent for the former owner.

We would be happy to see the M2 versions being released globally, but that decision is up to M2 as a licensee to decide how, when and where to publish, market and sell their games.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Ice Beam wrote:
Bassa-Bassa wrote:Mantaining games for Windows and Western markets seems clearly beyond their capabilities.
The two Darius collections (Cozmic Collection Arcade and G-Darius) on Steam are fantastic, so I don't see how it's beyond their capabilities at all.

It's worth remembering that these collections are produced by Taito. Also M2 Castlevania and Contra collections came to Steam. So there's a difference between what M2 may do when contracted by another publisher/IP holder and what they may do with their own independent projects and limited budget.

So Ray'z collection would be more likely for PC than any of the Shotriggers stuff IMO.

This new development with the Toaplan IP is interesting for sure. Personally I'll withhold any judgment about what Bitwave can do until the results are seen. Could be good or bad. They have a page up for Outzone and they are claiming all the right features, so at least they have the idea behind it going in.

As for M2 doing Toaplan, regardless of this new development, I'm sure the future of Toaplan Shotriggers will depend on fans supporting the series. I remember when they had big plans for Sega Ages including Naomi emulation (and I would've bet more Tecnosoft too). Then that got ended bc sales were not up to snuff especially in Japan.

Personally I think where they shoot themselves in the foot a bit is not getting past like 1989 or 1990 at the latest. For example when Sega Ages was still coming out players were asking for games like Out Runners, Golden Axe: The Revenge of Death Adder, Jet Set Radio and Crazy Taxi. Instead they got Alex Kidd, Sonic 1, Fantasy Zone and Wonder Boy in Monster Land.

Then with Shottriggers instead of dropping a slam dunk like DDP, Ibara or Batrider they're doing the proto Toaplan stuff. I think there's a sweet spot of maybe 1992-1998 where players would be more hyped for the games. If they're sticking with the Toaplan thing IMO it would be a good thing to drop games like Outzone, Batsugun, Dogyuun etc quickly before even the devoted fans get a bit burnt out.

Who would be more hyped to see them mix it up and go another direction for Shottriggers and who wants to see more Toaplan until they ride out the whole catalogue?
DenimDemon

Fuck Embracer Group

Post by DenimDemon »

heli wrote:If only M2 had released Batsugun first instead of 8 bit games, before its all to late.

I think those games were super important to release. I’m really grateful and happy they started there.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Manualmartin wrote:Hello,

Excellent news, many thanks for the confirmation!
DenimDemon wrote:

I think those games were super important to release. I’m really grateful and happy they started there.
Same same.

Honestly, of all their catalogue, Hishouzame was and is the one I'm still the happiest about. A game that influential going so long without a remotely acceptable home release was ridiculous.

What's more, there was always the sense the Sharks would've been next up, after Toaplan Shooting Battle Vol. 1's Tiger disc. So that's one multi-decade blueballer resolved. :lol:

I deeply hope they keep going, but at the same time, I'm glad they took a historic approach here (and here's hoping Slap Fight + SFMD get a look in, too).