shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum
 
* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:57 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 233 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Deathsmiles 1 AND 2 coming to PS4/Xbone/Switch in 2021
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:27 pm 



Joined: 28 Feb 2016
Posts: 141
Steven wrote:
Is anyone getting the PC version? It releases in a few days, and I'm thinking about getting it. I have nothing to compare it to, as I've never played any of these games, so I hope it's good. I'll wait until after it's released to see if there's a reason to get one of the other versions instead, as I still don't trust Shitty Connection.


I'm getting it. :)
Just not sure if it's going to be at launch, since everyone decided to release their games in the space of a week or so, and heavy vet bills have made a dent in my budget.

City Connection is weird.
They are capable of the best, and the worse. Their PC re-release of Guardian Force was so bad, I simply can't play it. With no exaggeration, I don't remember a shmup port on Steam with so many problems, so much lag, so many audio issues. It's a disappointing mess.
So much, that I hesitated to buy Ninja JaJaMaru: The Great Yokai Battle + Hell because of this. And, that release (which is the latest title they released on Steam) is pretty much flawless, and they have released numerous updates, and acted on the feedback provided by making changes and adding functionalities to the PC version.

Let's see if we are getting their better side, or their worse side, with this release. :wink:


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Deathsmiles 1 AND 2 coming to PS4/Xbone/Switch in 2021
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:16 am 



Joined: 11 May 2021
Posts: 430
Location: Tokyo
FunktionJCB wrote:
Steven wrote:
Is anyone getting the PC version? It releases in a few days, and I'm thinking about getting it. I have nothing to compare it to, as I've never played any of these games, so I hope it's good. I'll wait until after it's released to see if there's a reason to get one of the other versions instead, as I still don't trust Shitty Connection.


I'm getting it. :)
Just not sure if it's going to be at launch, since everyone decided to release their games in the space of a week or so, and heavy vet bills have made a dent in my budget.

City Connection is weird.
They are capable of the best, and the worse. Their PC re-release of Guardian Force was so bad, I simply can't play it. With no exaggeration, I don't remember a shmup port on Steam with so many problems, so much lag, so many audio issues. It's a disappointing mess.
So much, that I hesitated to buy Ninja JaJaMaru: The Great Yokai Battle + Hell because of this. And, that release (which is the latest title they released on Steam) is pretty much flawless, and they have released numerous updates, and acted on the feedback provided by making changes and adding functionalities to the PC version.

Let's see if we are getting their better side, or their worse side, with this release. :wink:

Yeah, they are weird. I have their Switch Cotton Guardian Force thing and Guardian Force, the reason that I bought it, is extremely awkward to play because of the lag. Then they put out that Layer Section demo and it seemed perfectly fine to me. I never bought it since I have it on Saturn and don't need it, but apparently the full version of the game has a glitch where you can make yourself permanently invulnerable at the beginning of stage 1. Still not sure why they specifically chose Layer Section instead of RayForce, for that matter.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Deathsmiles 1 AND 2 coming to PS4/Xbone/Switch in 2021
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:32 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 05 Aug 2020
Posts: 1306
Steven wrote:
Still not sure why they specifically chose Layer Section instead of RayForce, for that matter.


I'd imagine because they'd already done Saturn emulation with the Cotton/Guardian Force release, and decided to build off that rather than start from scratch with Taito F3. Hardly anybody knows the differences between the two versions exist, fewer genuinely care, and pretty much the entirety of nostalgia is with the Saturn version anyway.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Deathsmiles 1 AND 2 coming to PS4/Xbone/Switch in 2021
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:44 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 29 Aug 2010
Posts: 1136
Location: Fairfax, VA
Steven wrote:
Is anyone getting the PC version? It releases in a few days, and I'm thinking about getting it. I have nothing to compare it to, as I've never played any of these games, so I hope it's good. I'll wait until after it's released to see if there's a reason to get one of the other versions instead, as I still don't trust Shitty Connection.


Deathsmiles is excellent. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

That said, I'll be skipping out on this release in general unless the price drops. I already own the Steam release of the first game, and own both on the 360. Hard to justify double and tripple dipping on these at $40.
_________________
YouTube | Twitch | Website | STG 1CC List


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Deathsmiles 1 AND 2 coming to PS4/Xbone/Switch in 2021
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:25 am 



Joined: 11 May 2021
Posts: 430
Location: Tokyo
Austin wrote:
Steven wrote:
Is anyone getting the PC version? It releases in a few days, and I'm thinking about getting it. I have nothing to compare it to, as I've never played any of these games, so I hope it's good. I'll wait until after it's released to see if there's a reason to get one of the other versions instead, as I still don't trust Shitty Connection.


Deathsmiles is excellent. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

That said, I'll be skipping out on this release in general unless the price drops. I already own the Steam release of the first game, and own both on the 360. Hard to justify double and tripple dipping on these at $40.

Yeah, I'll get it eventually, as I've heard Deathsmiles is really good. I have a lot of STGs to play right now, though, and I finally started playing the Gradius V I got a few weeks ago, so it will likely be some time before I get to Deathsmiles.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Deathsmiles 1 AND 2 coming to PS4/Xbone/Switch in 2021
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:05 am 


User avatar

Joined: 26 May 2008
Posts: 1903
Location: France
Steven wrote:
... playing the Gradius V I ...


Reading too fast, just after checking the "Treasure news" thread, and I got really excited for a brief moment. Sadness now.
_________________
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Deathsmiles 1 AND 2 coming to PS4/Xbone/Switch in 2021
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:45 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 05 Aug 2020
Posts: 1306
Steven wrote:
Austin wrote:
Steven wrote:
Is anyone getting the PC version? It releases in a few days, and I'm thinking about getting it. I have nothing to compare it to, as I've never played any of these games, so I hope it's good. I'll wait until after it's released to see if there's a reason to get one of the other versions instead, as I still don't trust Shitty Connection.


Deathsmiles is excellent. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

That said, I'll be skipping out on this release in general unless the price drops. I already own the Steam release of the first game, and own both on the 360. Hard to justify double and tripple dipping on these at $40.

Yeah, I'll get it eventually, as I've heard Deathsmiles is really good. I have a lot of STGs to play right now, though, and I finally started playing the Gradius V I got a few weeks ago, so it will likely be some time before I get to Deathsmiles.


One nice thing is that as arcade games go it's super easy, if you ever find you need a light palate cleanser.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Deathsmiles 1 AND 2 coming to PS4/Xbone/Switch in 2021
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:48 pm 



Joined: 11 May 2021
Posts: 430
Location: Tokyo
guigui wrote:
Steven wrote:
... playing the Gradius V I ...


Reading too fast, just after checking the "Treasure news" thread, and I got really excited for a brief moment. Sadness now.

I can see why, because Gradius V is awesome! It is most unfortunate that it is stuck on a system that is plagued by interlaced video for the overwhelming majority of its games, including Gradius V. I really wish everything on PS2 wasn't on PS2 just so nobody has to put up with crappy interlaced video.

Sengoku Strider wrote:
One nice thing is that as arcade games go it's super easy, if you ever find you need a light palate cleanser.

That's interesting. How easy is easy? Like Thunder Force AC with autofire Hunter easy?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Deathsmiles 1 AND 2 coming to PS4/Xbone/Switch in 2021
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:05 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 28 Feb 2005
Posts: 606
Location: Baltimore, MD
Steven wrote:
I can see why, because Gradius V is awesome! It is most unfortunate that it is stuck on a system that is plagued by interlaced video for the overwhelming majority of its games, including Gradius V. I really wish everything on PS2 wasn't on PS2 just so nobody has to put up with crappy interlaced video.


It looks pretty damn good at 1440p with a RetroTINK-5X Pro and a good component cable. But without the TINK, yeah, PS2 stuff generally looks pretty garbage on modern displays.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Deathsmiles 1 AND 2 coming to PS4/Xbone/Switch in 2021
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:25 pm 



Joined: 11 May 2021
Posts: 430
Location: Tokyo
subcons wrote:
Steven wrote:
I can see why, because Gradius V is awesome! It is most unfortunate that it is stuck on a system that is plagued by interlaced video for the overwhelming majority of its games, including Gradius V. I really wish everything on PS2 wasn't on PS2 just so nobody has to put up with crappy interlaced video.


It looks pretty damn good at 1440p with a RetroTINK-5X Pro and a good component cable. But without the TINK, yeah, PS2 stuff generally looks pretty garbage on modern displays.

Yeah, RT5X has an incredible deinterlacer and triple buffer mode, and those 2 things alone are great reasons to buy it. I'm playing on CRT with HD Retrovision, though, and it looks beautiful. I need to degauss it, though, as I have a decently sized spot in my upper left corner that turns yellow-green when it's supposed to be red.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Deathsmiles 1 AND 2 coming to PS4/Xbone/Switch in 2021
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:07 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 856
Location: Moai Zone
Maybe Gradius V will finally get a re-release on the rumored Treasure 30th compilation...
Wet dreams.
_________________
http://shmups.tumblr.com


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Deathsmiles 1 AND 2 coming to PS4/Xbone/Switch in 2021
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:24 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 21 Mar 2012
Posts: 1237
Location: AZ, US
Steven wrote:
Sengoku Strider wrote:
One nice thing is that as arcade games go it's super easy, if you ever find you need a light palate cleanser.

That's interesting. How easy is easy? Like Thunder Force AC with autofire Hunter easy?

If you're just playing for survival and skipping the Extra stage it's on the easier end of Cave 1-ALLs, similar to a Futari BL Original. Not trivial, but people with any Cave experience should find it very achievable.
_________________
Image
twitch | youtube | scores


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Deathsmiles 1 AND 2 coming to PS4/Xbone/Switch in 2021
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:48 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 07 Mar 2011
Posts: 145
I always like to back a Cave release with hard cash on Steam because I hope it somehow increases the chances of more, but I'm sorry - I ain't dropping close to 30 notes on a bundle where I already have one game on Steam (the better one), and the other on PS4.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Deathsmiles 1 AND 2 coming to PS4/Xbone/Switch in 2021
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:14 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2005
Posts: 89
Location: My Island
banjoted wrote:
I always like to back a Cave release with hard cash on Steam because I hope it somehow increases the chances of more, but I'm sorry - I ain't dropping close to 30 notes on a bundle where I already have one game on Steam (the better one), and the other on PS4.
I feel the same way. I suspect if it were the same publisher, we'd get a discount as Deathsmiles owners, but I understand why a different publisher isn't going to eat that.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Deathsmiles 1 AND 2 coming to PS4/Xbone/Switch in 2021
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:46 am 


User avatar

Joined: 20 Dec 2020
Posts: 338
Can someone remind me what (significant) inaccuracies DS2 has in this port?

I think I've read here or elsewhere that DS2 was missing a sound cue that is important for scoring or something. Was this patched? Did I just make it up? :oops: :lol:
_________________
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
"If you're going to try, go all the way" - Gus' outstanding run of Mushi at GDQ, climactic speech included


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Deathsmiles 1 AND 2 coming to PS4/Xbone/Switch in 2021
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:33 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 18 Apr 2019
Posts: 733
Location: NYC
SPM wrote:
Can someone remind me what (significant) inaccuracies DS2 has in this port?

I think I've read here or elsewhere that DS2 was missing a sound cue that is important for scoring or something. Was this patched? Did I just make it up? :oops: :lol:


Pretty sure it was that that PS4 version had no slowdown.
_________________
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Deathsmiles 1 AND 2 coming to PS4/Xbone/Switch in 2021
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:33 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 07 Jun 2013
Posts: 792
Steven wrote:
Is anyone getting the PC version? It releases in a few days, and I'm thinking about getting it. I have nothing to compare it to, as I've never played any of these games, so I hope it's good. I'll wait until after it's released to see if there's a reason to get one of the other versions instead, as I still don't trust Shitty Connection.

I'm skipping it because my regional pricing for this release is awful.
_________________
Squire Grooktook wrote:
Captain wrote:
The future of shmups is the past.


*Yagawa smiles with the teeth of a shark*

*cue Heavy Day*


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Deathsmiles 1 AND 2 coming to PS4/Xbone/Switch in 2021
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:45 am 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 8316
Location: MD
Austin wrote:
Steven wrote:
Is anyone getting the PC version? It releases in a few days, and I'm thinking about getting it. I have nothing to compare it to, as I've never played any of these games, so I hope it's good. I'll wait until after it's released to see if there's a reason to get one of the other versions instead, as I still don't trust Shitty Connection.


Deathsmiles is excellent. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

That said, I'll be skipping out on this release in general unless the price drops. I already own the Steam release of the first game, and own both on the 360. Hard to justify double and tripple dipping on these at $40.


Poor timing for the Steam release too, right when the sale is going on and the old port is selling for $6.99.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Deathsmiles 1 AND 2 coming to PS4/Xbone/Switch in 2021
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:36 am 



Joined: 03 Aug 2015
Posts: 145
There's a 20% discount this week on the Xbox version and the DLC character pack.

Main game

Character DLC


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Deathsmiles 1 AND 2 coming to PS4/Xbone/Switch in 2021
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:20 am 


User avatar

Joined: 22 Feb 2021
Posts: 2
Location: Europe
well... I'm lost now. I read the post and....

I have an xbox serie X and a PC.
Which version is the less plagued with input lags or slowdowns ? PC or xbox one ? :?: :?: :|


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Deathsmiles 1 AND 2 coming to PS4/Xbone/Switch in 2021
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:57 am 



Joined: 11 May 2021
Posts: 430
Location: Tokyo
Oniros wrote:
Steven wrote:
Is anyone getting the PC version? It releases in a few days, and I'm thinking about getting it. I have nothing to compare it to, as I've never played any of these games, so I hope it's good. I'll wait until after it's released to see if there's a reason to get one of the other versions instead, as I still don't trust Shitty Connection.

I'm skipping it because my regional pricing for this release is awful.

I can't believe they want 3000 fucking yen for the DLC girls. I hate City Connection so much. These guys are on some sort of illegal drugs for sure.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Deathsmiles 1 AND 2 coming to PS4/Xbone/Switch in 2021
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:11 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 07 Jun 2013
Posts: 792
For those who bought the game: Are both Deathsmiles the arcade versions or do the ports contain any enhancements from the X360 releases?
_________________
Squire Grooktook wrote:
Captain wrote:
The future of shmups is the past.


*Yagawa smiles with the teeth of a shark*

*cue Heavy Day*


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Deathsmiles 1 AND 2 coming to PS4/Xbone/Switch in 2021
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:06 am 



Joined: 24 Jun 2021
Posts: 37
I think they are just ports of the xbox 360 releases with all the same modes.

Is no one playing this on Switch?
I made it into the top 20 scores for Deathsmiles 2 X mode and I feel like I'm still learning the game.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 233 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: prophetic, ravenclaws76 and 12 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Space Pilot 3K template by Jakob Persson
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group