DoDonPachi DaiOhJou - maybe my fav CAVE shmup on the PGM

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
awbacon

DoDonPachi DaiOhJou - maybe my fav CAVE shmup on the PGM

Post by awbacon »

https://youtu.be/uQ07BIzZz_A

Granted like all CAVE shmups I am only "ok" at it but that does NOT stop me from having a good time. Def don't think I will ever 1CC it (only CAVE game I ever managed was Deathsmiles) but I will be happy failing over and over lol

anyone have any tips?
ChurchOfSolipsism

Re: DoDonPachi DaiOhJou - maybe my fav CAVE shmup on the PGM

Post by ChurchOfSolipsism »

Couple of random tips from someone who has played lots of it but is still decidedly mediocre (almost made it to the final boss on one coin that one time), so take with a grain of salt:
- Learn a good route for the last part of stage two (after the midboss UFO) and activate a hyper after you've killed the midboss; this way, you will consistently get a 500-chain/ above 10million points and get the extent.
- Practice stage 4 a lot and try to get the extent from the huge cannon by destroying its left and right parts before the center part. Many parts of the game get a lot easier if you position your ship way up on the screen since you get off a maximum amount of shots before enemies can shoot back; it certainly makes the cannon part a lot easier.
- Bullet herding seems very important in this game to me; for example, position yourself in the upper left and right corner of the screen when shooting the cannon parts in stage 4. The cannon will aim at you, and this way it's relatively easy to dodge its main shot.
n0rtygames wrote:[The wife] once asked me "whats a shoryuken?" so I gave her a real life demonstration. Except she was too close on the spin. So I actually SRK'd her. With full vocalisation too...
awbacon

Post by awbacon »

ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:Couple of random tips from someone who has played lots of it but is still decidedly mediocre (almost made it to the final boss on one coin that one time), so take with a grain of salt:
- Learn a good route for the last part of stage two (after the midboss UFO) and activate a hyper after you've killed the midboss; this way, you will consistently get a 500-chain/ above 10million points and get the extent.
- Practice stage 4 a lot and try to get the extent from the huge cannon by destroying its left and right parts before the center part. Many parts of the game get a lot easier if you position your ship way up on the screen since you get off a maximum amount of shots before enemies can shoot back; it certainly makes the cannon part a lot easier.
- Bullet herding seems very important in this game to me; for example, position yourself in the upper left and right corner of the screen when shooting the cannon parts in stage 4. The cannon will aim at you, and this way it's relatively easy to dodge its main shot.
ill keep that in mind :)
Some-Mist

Post by Some-Mist »

probably could create one PGM thread and continue to bump it with your new vids to kinda beef out the number of replies just as a formatting idea for future threads

(I prefer ketsui since I have a lot more fun point blanking/capitalizing on the chip timer instead of the more rigid chaining in doj)
a creature... half solid half gas
finisherr

Post by finisherr »

I’ve 1CCed this game multiple times with no autobomb and I’m not good at shmups. The main advice I can give you is to play the game consistently. If you play the game 4/7 days a week or so for a few hours each session you’ll eventually clear it. It’s a very satisfying game to clear.

Tap dodging, macro dodging, and bullet herding are some general skills to develop. The game also requires some problem solving skills as the “safe” routes are sometimes challenging to find. It may also help to watch a few clears on YouTube to get ideas when you get stuck.

Good luck and enjoy!
ChurchOfSolipsism

Post by ChurchOfSolipsism »

Autobomb in DDPDOJ...? Is it possible you're mixing it up with DDP Saidaioujou or Daifukkatsu?
n0rtygames wrote:[The wife] once asked me "whats a shoryuken?" so I gave her a real life demonstration. Except she was too close on the spin. So I actually SRK'd her. With full vocalisation too...
MidnightWolf

Post by MidnightWolf »

awbacon wrote:https://youtu.be/uQ07BIzZz_A

Granted like all CAVE shmups I am only "ok" at it but that does NOT stop me from having a good time. Def don't think I will ever 1CC it (only CAVE game I ever managed was Deathsmiles) but I will be happy failing over and over lol

anyone have any tips?
The best tip i can give you is: Learn to spell the name of your favourite game correctly.

It's Daioujou, not Daiohjou 8)
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

If we're getting this pedantic, it's Dai-Ou-Jou:

:P

And while we're on it, it's not a PGM game either. The PGM is a cartridge system. This is just based on this hardware.
Steven

Post by Steven »

MidnightWolf wrote:The best tip i can give you is: Learn to spell the name of your favourite game correctly.

It's Daioujou, not Daiohjou 8)
As an actual Japanese-understanding type of human, both are correct (actually, looking at it again, if you're doing oh instead of ou for one instance, you really should do it for both instances for consistency), if not the official, romanizations, as are Daioujyou, Daiouzyou, and a few other variations, like using oo in place of ou. Just don't use a bunch of different romanization systems all together at the same time unless you are specifically illustrating the differences between them, as doing so would be both weird and super inconsistent... and nobody outside of Japan actually uses Nihonsiki anyway because it's stupid. One of my Japanese friends romanizes her family name, which ends with ou, without the u and it annoys the shit out of me and I told her as much, but it is technically "correct" and if she wants it that way...
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:Couple of random tips from someone who has played lots of it but is still decidedly mediocre (almost made it to the final boss on one coin that one time), so take with a grain of salt:
My main tip for DaiOuJou is that I had to route it for a survival clear. Some players may not need to, but for me it was the only way. It is the only vertical game I've routed to the point that I was playing it like an R-Type. I had to do the whole "this wave comes next, I'll position over here, now move to this spot" thing and trying to play ahead of the game. Every other vertical game I've cleared with just loose memorization and doing things on reaction, and my routes probably look a little different every time. DOJ will overwhelm you with overlapping patterns if any enemy is left alive more than the minimal amount of time.