Capcom Arcade Stadium 2 Announced (GunSmoke, ECO Fighters)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
FunktionJCB

Re: Capcom Arcade Stadium (NSW, Steam): Progear, Giga Wing,

Post by FunktionJCB »

xxx1993 wrote:Really?
True story. :wink:

Needless to say, the upcoming 2nd Stadium collection will make a great birthday gift for myself. :mrgreen:
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I've considered getting this.
Mr. Cooper

Post by Mr. Cooper »

There any Varth experts here that can speak to the difficulty differences between what's in the Arcade Collection on Switch and what you would encounter on your typical PCB?

I've been playing it for a bit now and have made it reasonably far on my own (Stage 15), but after watching the STG Weekly episode, I'm convinced the standard difficulty on the Switch is higher than it was in that STG playthrough. Enemies seem to take a LOT more heat and it seems like there are way more bullets on screen even when the same number of enemies are visible. In many cases, I'm using the same or roughly the same pathing as in the video, so I don't think it's because I'm leaving too many enemies alive for too long. This is as noticeable in the early stages as it is in the middle ones.

I've tried turning up the autofire and it's definitely helped (to "very fast"), but something still seems off. Am I just imagining things?
Creamy Goodness

Post by Creamy Goodness »

Is that the case for both the US and JP roms? I know for Progear the US rom is much harder than the JP rom. Capcom did not account for the differences in scaling of difficulty between the two roms as you go along the difficulty slider. They just set normal to 4 for both roms whereas difficulty 2 in the US equals difficulty 4 for JP. This made US Progear's difficulty much higher at normal. Hopefully this makes sense.
reckon luck

Post by reckon luck »

SPM wrote:It seems we've got a date: July 22
I dunno if we should take this as gospel. I don't see this date announced anywhere, not even by Gematsu themselves.
SPM

Post by SPM »

reckon luck wrote:
SPM wrote:It seems we've got a date: July 22
I dunno if we should take this as gospel. I don't see this date announced anywhere, not even by Gematsu themselves.
https://www.gematsu.com/2022/05/capcom- ... ch-31-2023
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
reckon luck

Post by reckon luck »

There it is. Cool. Now why are they making us wait for the list of games?
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Yeah, I'm sleeping until they release the game list. If they release it and it's a bunch of stuff that's been in previous collections, I'll probably pass. I still have the ps2/psp collections and I don't feel like double dipping.
CRP

Post by CRP »

reckon luck wrote:There it is. Cool. Now why are they making us wait for the list of games?
Saveing it for a upcoming nintendo direct for bigger pr impact is my guess. didnt vol1 get announced at a nin direct ?
reckon luck

Post by reckon luck »

CRP wrote:
reckon luck wrote:There it is. Cool. Now why are they making us wait for the list of games?
Saveing it for a upcoming nintendo direct for bigger pr impact is my guess. didnt vol1 get announced at a nin direct ?
It was a Switch launch exclusive. 2nd is launching everywhere, so who knows what they're planning. C'mon Capcom I need Mars Matrix, Dimahoo, AvP...
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Creamy Goodness wrote:Is that the case for both the US and JP roms? I know for Progear the US rom is much harder than the JP rom. Capcom did not account for the differences in scaling of difficulty between the two roms as you go along the difficulty slider. They just set normal to 4 for both roms whereas difficulty 2 in the US equals difficulty 4 for JP. This made US Progear's difficulty much higher at normal. Hopefully this makes sense.

I will concur, Progear is fucking hard
I've been playing since Stadium was released and I still raise my arms like Rocky if I get through the first stage without losing a life. If I ever get though the stage 2 mid-boss without losing a life I fear I may drop dead of a coronary, so let's hope it never happens (it won't)
Mr. Cooper

Post by Mr. Cooper »

Creamy Goodness wrote:Is that the case for both the US and JP roms? I know for Progear the US rom is much harder than the JP rom. Capcom did not account for the differences in scaling of difficulty between the two roms as you go along the difficulty slider. They just set normal to 4 for both roms whereas difficulty 2 in the US equals difficulty 4 for JP. This made US Progear's difficulty much higher at normal. Hopefully this makes sense.
That's a good question. I've only been playing with the English ROM; will check out the Japanese ROM tonight.

Also good to know about Progear. It ate me alive several times, so I gave up on it for later. Was definitely playing the US rom, so might switch over to JP with a lower difficulty for the sake of an easier time.
pegboy

Post by pegboy »

This is listed directly from the manual(s):
Progear US version should default to difficulty 2
Progear Japan version should default to difficulty 4
Progear Asia version should default to difficulty 8 (WTF?)

I'm not sure the difficulties listed are equivalent, in other words I do not think US difficulty 4 = Japan difficulty 4, so if you are playing the US version on difficulty 4, it may be harder than the Japan version at 4.

TLDR: Play the Japanese version on difficulty 4 if you want the "correct" difficulty, or in other words, the original developer intended version of the game.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

I just tried them out back to back on the default difficultly, and yeah, the jp is much easier. Less bullets, slower bullets, and slowdown on the tougher waves from the bosses.

I'm not sure if using pegboy's numeral settings will make them match. But if you want less brutal from the default (and allow me to assure you, en default is brutal) go with jp.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

I don't know about the Asia settings off the top of my head, but this questions was asked earlier in the thread, and yeah, pegboy's numbers are right: viewtopic.php?p=1472449#p1472449

The current suspicion is whoever setup the different versions of Progear didn't realize that the difficulty sliders are set differently in the options, and that the US difficulty of 2 is configured to be roughly equivalent of the JP version's setting of 4 (i.e. US version had a higher upper limit as operators could turn it up 6 spaces to a higher difficulty). This collection has the US version set to 4 by default, i.e. it's two notches higher in difficulty than intended, making it way harder than it should be because the slider has a huge impact on bullet speeds.

Giga Wing has the same quirk in the CPS-2 version where the US is set to 2 and the JP is set to 4, and difficulty is basically the same. However, Giga Wing's difficulty slider doesn't appear to actually do anything in the arcade version (I've 1CC'd it at the max difficulty and honestly couldn't tell the difference).
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

If it's anything like Giga Wing 2 I suspect the difficulty slider in Giga Wing only affects how many bullets zako fire at you, and not the larger, predetermined patterns. For a long stretch I was accidentally playing GW2 at difficulty 1 (out of 8 ) instead of 4, and when I set it back to default I could hardly notice a difference either.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Okay, if:

Progear US version should default to difficulty 2
Progear Japan version should default to difficulty 4

Means

US Very Easy = JP Medium

(Stadium doesn't do numerals. But "Very Easy" is the second available difficultly, "Medium" is the fourth)

It's close, but I don't think it's exact. The bullet speed seems about the same (which honestly, is the most brutal thing about US Medium), but it feels like there's less bullets in US Very Easy than JP Medium

Also, it feels like the amount of slowdown for waves in JP Medium is much more dramatic. With the second boss' 'pinwheel' wave slowing down to seemingly 8 fps.

Of the two, I think I like JP Medium better. While I'm not a big fan of the super-dramatic slowdown, the stages feel less barren than EN Very Easy.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Capcom's had some real trouble specifying which difficulty is the arcade default unfortunately. Their collection of the D&D games had the same problem, at least for the english release. You had 4 difficulty modes but nothing said what corresponded to arcade default, and I wasn't familiar with the arcade version to know for sure which was which.

By comparison, releases like Raiden Fighters Aces, Raiden IV, and the Switch release of the Gunbird games all specific very clearly which difficulty is considered to be arcade default, so there's no guessing.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

I feel a bit better now. I was able to get a 1CC on Progear on my Japanese PCB many years back, but figured I was just WAY out of practice after trying the version in the collection.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

It seems we finally have a list of all games included:

1943 Kai
Black Tiger
Block Block
Capcom Sports Club
Darkstalkers: The Night Warriors
Eco Fighters
Gan Sumoku (GunSmoke)
Hissatsu Buraiken (Avengers)
Hyper Dyne Side Arms
Hyper Street Fighter II: The Anniversary Edition
Knights of the Round
Last Duel
Magic Sword
Mega Man: The Power Battle
Mega Man 2: The Power Fighters
Night Warriors: Darkstalkers' Revenge
Pnickies
Rally 2011 LED Storm
Saturday Night Slam Masters
Savage Bees (Exed Exes)
SonSon
Street Fighter
Street Fighter Alpha: Warriors' Dreams
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Super Gem Fighter Mini Mix
Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
The King of Dragons
The Speed Rumbler (Rush & Crash)
Three Wonders
Tiger Road
Vampire Savior: The Lord of Vampire

As featured here:
https://www.trueachievements.com/n49909 ... collection

velo's earlier guess was actually quite accurate, since most of the titles mentioned ended up on this second volume.

I must say it's a bit of a disappointing list, since quite a few titles featured in the upcoming Capcom Fighting Collection are also included here, none of the licensed beat'em ups that made it to a couple of their physical releases are included, and the rest is mostly titles that have been featured before in other compilations.
Last edited by FunktionJCB on Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pablumatic

Post by pablumatic »

This list isn't nearly as compelling as the first release. Too many fighting game overlaps with Capcom Fighting Collection and no Mars Matrix. Oh well.

I'll grab it eventually at discount.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Thank God we get Pnickies and SonSon instead of Dimahoo and Mars Matrix. Snooze.
jehu

Post by jehu »

Is this list a sure thing?

It's just so odd there's so much overlap between the Fighting Collection and Stadium 2. Why risk even the outside chance of cannibalizing your own sales by putting no space between these releases?

Definitely a disappointment. The only potential bright side is that this leaves open the potential for a more fully featured Mars Matrix standalone. Yeah, I'll keep dreaming...
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I wish Capcom would just forget Hyper Street Fighter II.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Hm.

Lots of action games I want good modern releases of (Black Tiger, Tiger Road, and muh-muh-muh-muh MAGIC SWORD), plus a few favourite STGs, aaand that's where I have to wonder if they've fixed their goddamn input lag (PS4). Because Gun.Smoke bosses with the kind of lag I was getting in 1941 = LOL LMAO Will stick with my handy Capcom Generation 4, which I'm pretty sure isn't even goddamn emulation but a hand-coded port, and still appears indistinguishable to the PCB.

I'll probably take a punt on the off chance, but I'm not a Super Happy Fun Tyme Value Pack consumer of arcade games. IMMA REAL-ASS MUHFUCKA Image look I even write my own fanfiction :oops:
Spoiler
CHAPTER 2: AKUMA NO SHOTGUN BLAST ~ THE YOUNG PA WINGATE

When Pa was fifteen and married, he spotted some injuns rustling his cattle. "OI CUNTS! GIT OFFA MOI LAND!" shouted Pa bravely. "No," said Bear Shagging Chief indianly, while throwing axes at Pa, "is our land you fuck." Then Chief's skull exploded, bone and brain spattering his stunned men. The headless corpse crashed to its knees, formidably built even in its ruin, tongue flapping and blood pumping from its Pez dispenser neck stump. Another wall of unseen death slammed into what remained of Bear Shagging Chief - tearing his mighty right arm off at the shoulder, near-bisecting him at the waist, leaving him a toppled pile of prime beef.

"He going to kill us" screamed the newly-promoted Wolf Shagging Pup, now Wolf Shagging Chief, as he turned to run - but he only slammed into another invisible hitbox. His eyes bulged wide in recognition of his own stomach contents and intestines splattering the verdant green grass, before rolling back hard in death, his tenure having lasted some three seconds - the shortest in the Beast Shagger Tribe's annals by some margin.

Driven mad with terror at this terrible liasion of Old West firepower and futuristic Nihongo skulduggery, three more soldiers charged Pa's position, only to meet their own butcherings - wall after merciless wall of unseen buckshot mulching buff muscle men into convulsing, pulverised ruins. At last, the survivors cowered in huddled surrender. "I'm the top cunt on this ranch here now, you fackin' godless sheepfuckers" roared Pa as he and his brave sons JR and LIL PA surrounded their terrified captives - the injuns' hushed weeping punctuated by the unfeeling clinks of loosened belt buckles hitting stony earth.

NEXT CHAPTER: SHOWDOWN AT THE BIG RED COCKEREL ~ THE YOUNG SHERIFF BILLY BOB
Currently the PS4 lag isn't unplayable or even unadjustable to, but coming in off M2 and Hamster's work, it's easily noticeable. It's really just the STGs where it bugs me, with the genre's characteristic pinpoint-precise 8way movement.
velo

Post by velo »

That's honestly worse than what I thought the worst-case scenario would be. At least they're selling the games individually.
Astro City II

Post by Astro City II »

Was really hoping for Dimahoo and Alien vs Predator. I'm a huge Capcom fan but this is disappointing.
Sturmvogel Prime

Post by Sturmvogel Prime »

No U.N. Squadron?, That sucks.
Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!
Bringing you shmup and video game reviews with humorous criticism.

STG Wikias: Thunder Force Wiki - Wikiheart Exelica - Ginga Force Wiki
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Has Led Storm been in any previous compilations? That was one I was hoping for and it looks like it made the list. Still disappointing to see mostly games that were already in other collections, even if they are awesome games, though.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

BrianC wrote:Has Led Storm been in any previous compilations? That was one I was hoping for and it looks like it made the list.
It hasn't. A shame it's not the Rally 2011 version, though. Though I'm not expecting them to improve the emulation code and presentation in this new Stadium, so whatever.