Truxton II; 10/10 rare, 10/10 fun and a game I bought drunk

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
awbacon

Truxton II; 10/10 rare, 10/10 fun and a game I bought drunk

Post by awbacon »

https://youtu.be/9SEWE5y5WN4

Sober me thanks drunk me for deciding "why not" when I saw a not terribly priced copy of Tatsujin Oh on eBay some years back. Def not a decision I regret...even if I was surprised I made it in the first place lol

Of Toaplan's shmups it's still my personal fav
bigbadboaz

Re: Truxton II; 10/10 rare, 10/10 fun and a game I bought dr

Post by bigbadboaz »

In b4 another battle over YouTube shilling :wink:
PerishedFraud ឵឵

Post by PerishedFraud ឵឵ »

jizz slap
Fun Over Victory| Shitpost Central | Shmusic Archive | Old Account | tuckfouhou@gmail.com
awbacon

Post by awbacon »

bigbadboaz wrote:In b4 another battle over YouTube shilling :wink:
lol I can assure you this thread will generate approximately (checks YT stats on external views via website list)....3 views! lolol

Trust me, I don't post fun shmup talk for the views here...because they don't exist :)
OldSkoolShmuper

Post by OldSkoolShmuper »

Diehard GameFan reviewed it.

CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

10/10 fun
still drunk
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

Another great video bacon! I guess I'm Daddy Warbucks because I'm rolling with the PCB, but man, this game is hard as fuck.

As for Gamefan, LOL

First they said Truxton's named changed to Tatsujin as the sequel, not that was actually the Japanese name and this one is Tatsujin Oh! I assume they didn't know what they were talking about. Also, one of the reviewers would rather be playing Silpheed?
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

"Bing"
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

XtraSmiley wrote:As for Gamefan, LOL

First they said Truxton's named changed to Tatsujin as the sequel, not that was actually the Japanese name and this one is Tatsujin Oh! I assume they didn't know what they were talking about. Also, one of the reviewers would rather be playing Silpheed?
Gamefan was simultaneously the dumbest and the greatest game magazine of all time. They'd do all kinds of stuff like the above, their editing standards were non-existent, and they started as an import games shop and you have to read those reviews half wondering if they're just trying to offload a couple of FM Towns they got in.

But they were also the only (English language) magazine in the early to mid 90s constantly championing 2D, championing RPGs, reviewing obscure import stuff, not wasting anybody's time with licensed game coverage, and actually recognizing that shmups existed during gen 5. They wrote like people who actually enjoyed video games (the scan above is from super early in their existence, before they'd developed their house style). I feel like their later editor, ECM, might have done as much to popularize the term 'shmup' as anyone else, his tenure occurring during the rise of the FPS genre displacing space ship shooters as the default owner of the term "shooter." I'd never even heard it before he wrote about it.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Pretty sure I remember people talking about "shoot'em ups" (and "beat'em ups") as early as the 80s. :) And that's not even from english language media.
Sengoku Strider

Sumez wrote:Pretty sure I remember people talking about "shoot'em ups" (and "beat'em ups") as early as the 80s. :) And that's not even from english language media.
I specifically mean the contraction "shmup." The longer "shoot 'em up" probably goes back as far as the genre does. According to this guy the term first showed up in a Commodore 64 magazine from 1985: https://www.gamedeveloper.com/design/th ... ical-study

But despite being an avid reader of literally every console mag I could get my hands on, I never heard the term until ECM wrote about it.

I hated it TBH. STG is so much cooler.
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

Sengoku Strider wrote:
XtraSmiley wrote:As for Gamefan, LOL

Gamefan was simultaneously the dumbest and the greatest game magazine of all time. They'd do all kinds of stuff like the above, their editing standards were non-existent, and they started as an import games shop and you have to read those reviews half wondering if they're just trying to offload a couple of FM Towns they got in.

But they were also the only (English language) magazine in the early to mid 90s constantly championing 2D, championing RPGs, reviewing obscure import stuff, not wasting anybody's time with licensed game coverage, and actually recognizing that shmups existed during gen 5. They wrote like people who actually enjoyed video games (the scan above is from super early in their existence, before they'd developed their house style). I feel like their later editor, ECM, might have done as much to popularize the term 'shmup' as anyone else, his tenure occurring during the rise of the FPS genre displacing space ship shooters as the default owner of the term "shooter." I'd never even heard it before he wrote about it.
Not to turn this into a GF thread, but I agree with you. They were loose and sloppy, and it's easy to look back and laugh now, but they were great, they DID seem to actually play and enjoy games, and yes, they DID seem to want to sell some stock at times!

I loved them. GF and EGM were my go to magazines. Nintendo Power as a distant third!
awbacon

Post by awbacon »

XtraSmiley wrote:Another great video bacon! I guess I'm Daddy Warbucks because I'm rolling with the PCB, but man, this game is hard as fuck.

As for Gamefan, LOL

I mean its a good investment because the game is so damn hard you could play it for decades and still not be good! lolol
SPM

Post by SPM »

I don't see the appeal of this game at all. I has great presentation... But that's it?

Only played until some point of the second stage though, but had enough and quit. 10-15 min of uninteresting waves after waves... super repetitive and too long. The first boss was better, more intense, but at the same time it had some near invisible attacks that didn't help either. I was bored or frustrated 95% of my time with it XD.

Can't imagine having to repeat that every single run. Hope it gets better later on and you play it with save states.

EDIT: After playing it more (and using save states in order not to repeat the first 10 min every time) I kinda dig it now. It's too long for what it offers and the difficulty is quite unbalanced, but has some memorable moments.
Last edited by SPM on Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
pieslice

Post by pieslice »

SPM wrote:Hope it gets better later on and you play it with save states.
4th boss is a wall to me.
Flobeamer1922

Post by Flobeamer1922 »

pieslice wrote:
SPM wrote:Hope it gets better later on and you play it with save states.
4th boss is a wall to me.
And then after that's the beginning of stage 5, which is another huge wall. Definitely not getting past that in one piece without save state practice.
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

Sengoku Strider wrote: I hated it TBH. STG is so much cooler.
Sure, but people ask 'if it's serious...' when you confess to playing them.
EGM were my go to magazines. Nintendo Power as a distant third!
EGM could always be relied on to deliver NeoGeo reviews, it got harder to find them at one stage but they would cover it.
To be honest, it was an exciting time back then.
My all time favourite was Superplay and I still have a full set - makes me proud :)

tatsujin-ou wise: yep - it's fantastic. Has that look and feel to it: it's a punisher and makes you feel like your 'in it' and on your own.
The music is great and has some fantastic tracks that make you want to rock out like a spast. It's a keeper.
Sadly, last time I tried my PCB it 'White Screened' and I haven't found anyone to fix it as yet.
More Bromances = safer people
Sengoku Strider

MintyTheCat wrote:Sure, but people ask 'if it's serious...' when you confess to playing them.
LOL.

"I got a new STG!"

"Oh...did we just shake hands? You used sanitizer, right?"
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

An easy way to tell them apart :

STGs originated with Space Invaders

STIs originated with the Kardashians