What convinced you to get Blazing Lazers on TurboGrafx-16?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
OldSkoolShmuper

What convinced you to get Blazing Lazers on TurboGrafx-16?

Post by OldSkoolShmuper »

Was there any one thing that "sold" you on Blazing Lazers for the TurboGrafx-16 (likewise, Gunhed on PC Engine)?

For me, it was EGM's "Turbo Champ" segment with a 2-page Blazing Lazers spread, published in late 1989.

https://i.imgur.com/PAXHRA9.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/npVzISL.jpg

And also here's their review: https://i.imgur.com/PiLUIU1.jpg

I did not end up getting a TurboGrafx-16 until around September 1990. I bought Blazing Lazers, The Legendary Axe with it,
and got R-Type for free at the end of the year because of a mail-in offer for buying a TG-16.
PerishedFraud ឵឵

Re: What convinced you to get Blazing Lazers on TurboGrafx-1

Post by PerishedFraud ឵឵ »

for me it was the giant spectral mike matei head that appeared in my kitchen at midnight and started chanting about the game.
Fun Over Victory| Shitpost Central | Shmusic Archive | Old Account | tuckfouhou@gmail.com
pablumatic

Post by pablumatic »

At the time in the late 80s it definitely would have been EGM's coverage of the game.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

They threw it in for free, as I rolled my shopping cart full of TG16 stuff to the register in 1996, and paid $22 for the lot.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

I tried it out using Magic Engine and found it enjoyable so I bought a used physical copy once I acquired the hardware (a Duo).

That goes for all the HuCards I had, really. The CDs were a different story because I had dial-up internet at the time and it was too slow to download 640 MB at once via FTP. I read reviews of the CD games then took chances on them. Mostly worked out ok!
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

The first game I ever played as a kid was Gradius (NES)
When I got a TG16 a few years later, BL looked “similar” (I was a kid)
Best decision I ever made.

Blazing is one of my fave shooters ever.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

this (german) review in late 1989. Instant buy. Got the magazine on day one and had the luck that our local import dealer had it in stock at the same time. Review system in the mag was based on points out of 12, so 11/12 or 12/12 in all categories.

https://www.kultpower.de/asm_testberichte/gunhed.jpg
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

It was one of the first games I got on my Wii back when I was in middle school. It just looked neat so I got it and was hooked.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Pops yelled from under his truck "Son! You come back from the sto' with that soft-ass 'Keef Curridge' instead a EGM's #1 shootin game BLAZIN LAZER, imma take my slipper off and blaze up yo ass! I aint raisin no punks!" (I wanted Keith Courage In Alpha Zones, I was SCURRED 2 DIE IN STG 3; SCURRED LIKE A BITCH TBH :shock:)
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Nothing, because I was a kid and couldn't afford it, though the commercials made it look awesome. But my friend did let me borrow it - though not for long. So I was able to finish it but I had to work fast. Luckily it was easy.

I was actually just playing this yesterday on Wii U, played Blazing, then the Soldier trilogy all in a row. Back in the day I never realized how similar these games were. As a Compile game with its numbered powerups I always thought Blazing only belonged in a category with Zanac & Space Megaforce. Meanwhile in my head the Soldier games came from some generic amorphous place that only Japanese people in the ancient times cared about. But playing them all in a row you can see how much the Soldier trilogy was inspired by Blazing Lazers and picked up where it left off. And for the better; the original NES game kinda sucks.
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

I didn't know about Blazing Lazers or Compile at that point.
Rode my bike up to the new strip-mall built out in the former cornfields where I used to play. There was a new audio/video superstore there. I'd been saving up and it was time to buy my first own videogame system.
So this store had a Genesis with Altered Beast set-up and a TG-16 with Blazing Lazers. I remember being surprised by Blazing Lazers - I think it was my first time seeing a TG-16 in action. While it was fast and colorful and action packed, it just seemed like a Zanac ripofff and I was tired of shoot'em-ups at that point.
Really, the deciding factor was needing to buy an accessory for multi-player on the TG-16 - but I decided then and there that I was buying a Sega Genesis.

While I've played and beaten most of the Compile shoot'em-ups, I still haven't serious played Blazing Lazers. I think it's the name, it's just so cheesy. Yeah yeah, I know I could play Gunhed (which I own), but I think Blazing Lazers and my first impression just ruined it for me forever.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

I consider myself lucky to have been there when that gen was first coming out. I wanted all the hot new systems and got the Genesis just 'cause it hit first. But EGM's review of BL absolutely raved - there was one 6 that stood out but the overall glowing tone was clear - and I lusted for that game until I was able to also get the TG a couple years later. It was in the first batch of cards I got.

The game completely lived up to the wait, too. I couldn't believe how good the music was, and maybe it's a bit easy but it's pure FUN.
ChurchOfSolipsism

Post by ChurchOfSolipsism »

What uh... what're you talking about, I never bought no Blazin Lazers :?
n0rtygames wrote:[The wife] once asked me "whats a shoryuken?" so I gave her a real life demonstration. Except she was too close on the spin. So I actually SRK'd her. With full vocalisation too...
Sengoku Strider

The TG-16 commercials were pure concentrated 90s:

https://youtu.be/40B1bQ6d08w

There wasn't a game that said "turbo fast graphics" better than Blazing Lazers at the time. Those distinctive blue laser patterns literally blazing across the screen were so cool.

For context, BL hit in '89 at the height of the NES' popularity. The shmups the NES had for that holiday season were Sky Shark, Twin Eagle and Cybernoid. SS & TE were perfectly average on their own platform, though Life Force had already set the bar much higher a year prior, followed by Guardian Legend. But they look comical when compared directly to BL, like the trope of the jump cut to silent movie footage set to ragtime piano music.

I didn't get a Turbografx, but my grandma did get me Cybernoid :cry: Probably the worst physical game I've ever owned. (Luckily dad came through with Gyruss).
MJR

Post by MJR »

Turbografx did not exist on european soil, but we had PC-Engine as japanese import, so I only know the games by their japanese names.

I saw review of Gunhed in finnish gaming magazine back in 1990, and I really, really wanted to get my hands on it. But, alas, back then I could not afford everything, so I had to make a choice which console to buy - so megadrive was it as it had Truxton, Sonic, Hellfire and Strider (which I bought as japanese imports actually).

I was able to play Gunhed for the first time few years later, and loved it, though I felt it was maybe bit too much on the easy side. But I should beat it one day - got copy of it on Virtual Console, PC-Engine mini and everdrive card on the real thing.

(Why is PC-Engine Fan XI not commenting this thread?) :D
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

For a neophyte's perspective... When I got my Duo-R several years ago I figured Gunhed was a game to get and to enjoy based on its overwhelming praise. I managed to get a good copy off of a user on PCEFX forums, and played it for a while.

Unfortunately, like most compile games, it ended up being really long and pretty boring. I would get 5 or 6 stages in, die, and then chain death. After a few times of that i decided I had enough of the game.

When coming up against ports like Dragon Saber and Detana Twinbee or other pce titles like Download, Soldier Blade, or hell the Lost Sunheart... well I'd rather play any of them instead of Gunhed.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

There was a video game console show called "Galaxy of Electronic Games" hosted at the San Jose convention center back in November of 1989 -- there was a brief article about it in the October 1989 issue of Game Pro. There were plenty of the newest Sega Genesis & TG-16 games (for the X-Mas 1989 shopping season) to try out including Blazing Lazers as well. Gave BL a spin and found it to be a stellar STG title worthy of owning/playing. You could buy either a brand new SG console for $199.99 usd or pay $189.99 usd for a new TG-16 console at the show (but I didn't have that kind of money to get one). Even some of the editoral staff of Video Games & Computer Entertainment magazine were present at their own booth at the GoEG show.

The February 1990 issue of Video Games & Computer Entertainment has a strategy guide for BL worth glossing over.

At a local arcade joint called "The Game Station Arcade", they had an ultra-rare TurboGrafx-16 jamma pcb installed in an upright Dynamo cab running BL that took quarters to try it out. A typical TG-16 game session would last a few minutes & then freeze up with a loud chirp sound effect (& green button flashing). You had to insert another credit to continue your current gaming within a certain time period or lose it & it'd go back to game demo attract mode. This was back in March of 1990 was sold to local arcade distributors through a company called United Technologies that manufactured them (the actual pcb was hooked up to a PCE console but could play both Japanese & USA Hu-Cards without the need for a Hu-Card convertor -- how cool is that?). Unfortunately, NEC didn't sell the UT made TG-16 jamma pcb conversion kits for the Japanese game centers back in the 1989-1990 timeline. I never saw the TG-16 jamma pcb converted Dynamo cab since then other than just that one day back in March of 1990.

Fast forward to December of 1993 as the USA based Toys-R-Us stores were were selling brand new TG-16 consoles for a mere $29.99 usd. I bought one along with a couple of new TG-16 games of Cyber Core & Dead Moon priced at $19.99 usd each. Blazing Lazers wasn't available to buy new at my local TRU store so I went down to a used video game store called "Video Game Swappers" which had used copies of BL priced at $15.00 usd -- bought a copy after asking if they had it in stock.

In April of 1994, Turbo Technologies Incorporated was selling brand new TG-16 consoles with two Hu-Cards of Blazing Lazers & Air Zonk included for a mere $49.99 usd at Babbage's speciality video game stores.

--------
Blazing Lazers Easter Egg Trick: If you have access to a NEC TurboStick arcade stick, on the main title screen simply press the "Slo Mo" button & you'll be watching the end credits. Be sure to deactivate slo-mo mode when viewing the staff roll, otherwise it'll be skipped over as well.
--------

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
MJR

Post by MJR »

Nice to see you here, PC-Engine fan X! :) I was hoping you would join this thread :)
Sengoku Strider

EmperorIng wrote:When coming up against ports like Dragon Saber and Detana Twinbee or other pce titles like Download, Soldier Blade, or hell the Lost Sunheart... well I'd rather play any of them instead of Gunhed.
Nobody Likes Twinbee.

PC Engine Fan X!

If Hudson Soft & Compile had made Gunhed/Blazing Lazers as a five or six stage affair (rather than it's current nine stage overall presentation), it'd be in line with the Cave STG titles indeed.

I recall playing BL one day & somehow managed to get the "golden" colored Gunhed power-up icon by accident (that isn't mentioned in the instruction manual, btw) that grants you 8-way full auto-fire capability. How does one get this particular elusive power-up to appear on command?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Sorry for the confusing auto translation. Not totally sure if you're suppose to not use bombs or use them all and have 0 stock. Included the original Japanese text below so maybe someone could clarify?
If you use up 0 bombs and take 32 gels in a row in that state, your rainbow-colored ship will come out of the item carrier as a hidden item. If you take it, you will be able to shoot shots in 8 directions only for Photon Plactor and Ring Blaster. If you keep switching sub-weapons in that state and increase the number of bombs, 8WAY may disappear.
Since it is treated separately from the main weapon and sub weapon, it is worth seeing the simultaneous use of ring blaster + full fire + 8WAY. :P :arrow:
ボムを使いきり0個にして、その状態でジェルを32個連続で取ると、隠しアイテムとして虹色の自機がアイテムキャリアから出る。取るとフォトン・プラクターとリング・ブラスターに限り8方向にショットが撃てるようになる。その状態でサブ武器を切り替え続けボムを増やすと、8WAYがなくなることがある。
メイン武器・サブ武器とは別扱いなので、リング・ブラスター+フル・ファイヤー+8WAYの同時併用は一見の価値あり。
jepjepjep

Post by jepjepjep »

The more I play Blazing Lazers/Gunhed the more I like it. The stage 9 difficulty spike is extreme, but I was able to get over that hurdle and clear the game when I realized you could bank the flashing orbs as resurrection items. That and figuring out which weapon combinations to take and avoid. The last stage checkpoints are just brutal. The easy first stages provide a good opportunity to collect resources for the end-game.

Amazing game though, aside from the insane difficulty curve. The graphics and music are wonderful. The gameplay and weapons are fun to use. I can see why this game was praised so highly when you consider it came out in 1989.
ED-057

Post by ED-057 »

If you use up 0 bombs and take 32 gels in a row in that state, your rainbow-colored ship will come out of the item carrier as a hidden item. If you take it, you will be able to shoot shots in 8 directions only for Photon Plactor and Ring Blaster. If you keep switching sub-weapons in that state and increase the number of bombs, 8WAY may disappear.
Since it is treated separately from the main weapon and sub weapon, it is worth seeing the simultaneous use of ring blaster + full fire + 8WAY.

ボムを使いきり0個にして、その状態でジェルを32個連続で取ると、隠しアイテムとして虹色の自機がアイテムキャリアから出る。取るとフォトン・プラクターとリング・ブラスターに限り8方向にショットが撃てるようになる。その状態でサブ武器を切り替え続けボムを増やすと、8WAYがなくなることがある。
メイン武器・サブ武器とは別扱いなので、リング・ブラスター+フル・ファイヤー+8WAYの同時併用は一見の価値あり。
Whoa! Never heard this.

I was able to trigger it three times in stage 3. At the beginning of the game I used up all my bombs and maintained 0 bombs in stock after that by not collecting any of the FHMS powerups. I did collect some I and IV powerups, which maybe I wasn't supposed to (?). In any case, nothing happened until I got to stage 3 where there are a buttload of purple orbs. I still had 0 bombs at that point and finally the 8WAY powerup appeared (and then twice more). I didn't lose the 8WAY until I died on stage 7, even though I had built up 14 bombs by then from collecting F powerups.
Creamy Goodness

Post by Creamy Goodness »

jepjepjep wrote:The more I play Blazing Lazers/Gunhed the more I like it. The stage 9 difficulty spike is extreme, but I was able to get over that hurdle and clear the game when I realized you could bank the flashing orbs as resurrection items. That and figuring out which weapon combinations to take and avoid. The last stage checkpoints are just brutal. The easy first stages provide a good opportunity to collect resources for the end-game.

Amazing game though, aside from the insane difficulty curve. The graphics and music are wonderful. The gameplay and weapons are fun to use. I can see why this game was praised so highly when you consider it came out in 1989.
That difficulty spike made me drop the game too. The spike wouldn't have been too bad if it weren't for the fact that the game is so long. But I think I will give it another go and try doing the first stage boss extends trick. That plus my better practice routine now may help me get the clear.
blazinglazers69

Post by blazinglazers69 »

Just to chip in here, I'm 33 and didn't start playing shooters until about 8 years ago. I (obviously) really enjoy Blazing Lazers (even though Soldier Blade is better.) As a mediocre player, it was a nice game to learn with. Dying on the first few levels of arcade shooters can feel disheartening. So while the difficulty curve is boring to veterans, it's nice for me. Keep in mind too that these games were originally made with kids/teens in mind.

Even though Compile games are easy, I still have fun with them. I think Compile games in particular really benefit from modern QoL features of emulation. Game is a breeze for the first half? Set a save state and only practice the second half until you have it down and only play those first levels when attempting a 1cc in earnest.
Sengoku Strider

blazinglazers69 wrote:Even though Compile games are easy, I still have fun with them.
Aside from the GG games, Compile games aren't all that easy. They're as tough or tougher than your average console game (everyone I knew growing up though Zanac was literally impossible). It's just that this genre's arcade roots have produced a culture of disparaging games which aren't utterly ruthless by normal standards. But realistically speaking it's like if people who were into sports games thought FIFA was for babies because it doesn't run up the score 35-0 in the first half.
PC Engine Fan X!

The seperate Hudson Soft Hu-Card of "Gunhed Taikai" (aside from it's regular counterpart 3 megabit sized Hu-Card of Gunhed) has the obligatory 2 minute & 5 minute timed Caravan modes. I use a Turbo Everdrive flash cart setup to play GT as the actual rare Caravan Hu-Card itself goes for a pretty penny/yen/pence nowadays.

One can adjust the difficulty level of GT with the hidden difficulty level mode: On the main title screen, press & hold down the Select button while alternating hitting buttons I and II -- eventually a new screen will appear with two initial difficulty modes of Normal Dog (default difficulty setting upon initial bootup of GT) and Hard Human. The 3rd & 4th difficulty level modes of Super Mania & God of Game are unlocked when pressing & holding the Select button & alternating pressing buttons I and Ii until they show up on-screen. Press and hold the Start button while pressing the Select button exits you out of the difficulty selection mode (the Gunhed logo will change to a white colored version to denote it's Super Mania mode & to a red colored version if God of Game is enabled respectively). This same hidden easter egg trick applies to both regular Hu-Cards of Gunhed & Blazing Lazers as well (albeit the BL logo won't change colors regardless of whatever difficulty setting is chosen).

A hidden sound test mode for Gunhed/Gunhed Taikai/Blazing Lazers is enabled by doing this: Press Left and Right alternatively on the Main title screen until it shows up. How cool is that?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
blazinglazers69

Sengoku Strider wrote:
blazinglazers69 wrote:Even though Compile games are easy, I still have fun with them.
Aside from the GG games, Compile games aren't all that easy. They're as tough or tougher than your average console game (everyone I knew growing up though Zanac was literally impossible). It's just that this genre's arcade roots have produced a culture of disparaging games which aren't utterly ruthless by normal standards. But realistically speaking it's like if people who were into sports games thought FIFA was for babies because it doesn't run up the score 35-0 in the first half.
100% agree with you. People who take their hobbies super seriously tend to get a little pretentious and lose a certain amount of self-awareness over time :? Like, how many people here can easily beat Super Mario Bros? Are you gonna tell me that that's not an absolute classic because after literal decades of gaming you find it easy? Classics are classics for a reason.

To see a resurgence in shmup classics is always a good thing. It makes sense that newer/not super old people
playing these games for the first time are naturally going to be drawn into the roots of the genre. All the old farts who are all "been there done that" are just...sad. I'd prefer to focus on positive veterans in this community like ShmupJunkie who's brought a ton of enthusiasm and players and is not too much of a bitter snob to appreciate the genre's classic and beloved roots. His content is having far more impact than any awkward screeching we're seeing from some unfortunate posters here.

It's perfectly fine to be a "connoisseur" and not prefer easier games, but when people who are statistically anomalous within the gaming community and super into a niche genre conflate their opinions with facts, it starts to smell like neck-beardy B.O. and flat-out B.S.

There's no question that with the success of the Aleste Collection, Blazing Lazers cyclically coming around the top 25 list like a classic rock tune getting replayed, modern throwbacks like Raging Blasters doing well, and MUSHA getting ported to Switch, that we're absolutely seeing a renaissance of classic shooters. It's so ironic, because the lack of self-awareness is like what we all experience when someone looks at a shmup and says, "It's not 3D?? It's only a half hour long?? Seems ancient!" Like Pac-Man, Frogger, or Donkey Kong, old school shooters stand the test of time BECAUSE of their charming simplicity--not in spite of it.

If people wanna talk to the same Boomers here forever and eschew Compile in a chuddish echo chamber, they are only setting themselves up for hurt butts and even more failure. But it's all good. Plenty of people on the internet to share Compile goodness. We will have fun with our blazing lazers, and there is nothing they can do about it :mrgreen:
PC Engine Fan X!

blazinglazers69 wrote:Just to chip in here, I'm 33 and didn't start playing shooters until about 8 years ago. I (obviously) really enjoy Blazing Lazers (even though Soldier Blade is better.) As a mediocre player, it was a nice game to learn with. Dying on the first few levels of arcade shooters can feel disheartening. So while the difficulty curve is boring to veterans, it's nice for me. Keep in mind too that these games were originally made with kids/teens in mind.

Even though Compile games are easy, I still have fun with them. I think Compile games in particular really benefit from modern QoL features of emulation. Game is a breeze for the first half? Set a save state and only practice the second half until you have it down and only play those first levels when attempting a 1cc in earnest.
Yep, save states are possible on the PCE/CoreGrafx/TG-16 mini setup with Blazing Lazers but with the real original gaming hardware, it's definitely not feasible. It does have it's charm with the actual credit card sized Blazing Lazers Turbo Chip cartridge itself -- quite impressive media format nevertheless from the joint-collaborative effort of NEC and Hudson Soft came up with for with the PCE/TG-16 consoles back in 1987/1989 respectively.

Only if NEC didn't have to redesign the PCE console as the TG-16 console for it's summer of 1989 console debut, it certainly would've had a bit of a lead to establish itself (instead of having to duke it out with the Sega Genesis console rollout debut within two weeks of each other at that point in time catching NEC off-guard in doing so -- Turbo Technologies Incorporated (TTI) wouldn't make that same crucial mistake with the initial console launch of the Turbo Duo stateside on 9/2/1992 by making sure there was absolutely no competition releasing such a new gaming console during the same time frame). Of course, NEC went with it's initial findings that by releasing the PC Engine console in it's current tiny form factor for the American video gamer audience, it'd be seen as not as powerful (hence the entire redesign from the ground up with more real estate space used for the TG-16 console & eventual TG-16 CD player add-on accessory released down the road to give 'em both some extra bulk). So be it.

Makes me wonder that since Konami owns the entire Hudson Soft PCE IP game back-catalog nowadays, could a Gunhed/Blazing Lazers HD remake be down the road? I'd certainly be up for it, indeed.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Last edited by PC Engine Fan X! on Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
blazinglazers69

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:
blazinglazers69 wrote:Just to chip in here, I'm 33 and didn't start playing shooters until about 8 years ago. I (obviously) really enjoy Blazing Lazers (even though Soldier Blade is better.) As a mediocre player, it was a nice game to learn with. Dying on the first few levels of arcade shooters can feel disheartening. So while the difficulty curve is boring to veterans, it's nice for me. Keep in mind too that these games were originally made with kids/teens in mind.

Yep, save states are possible on the PCE/CoreGrafx/TG-16 mini setup with Blazing Lazers but with the real original gaming hardware, it's definitely not feasible. It does have it's charm with the actual credit card sized Blazing Lazers Turbo Chip cartridge itself -- quite impressive media format nevertheless from the joint-collaborative effort of NEC and Hudson Soft came up with for with the PCE/TG-16 consoles back in 1987/1989 respectively.

Only if NEC didn't have to redesign the PCE console as the TG-16 console for it's summer of 1989 console debut, it certainly would've had a bit of a lead to establish itself (instead of having to duke it out with the Sega Genesis console rollout debut within two weeks of each other at that point in time catching NEC off-guard in doing so -- Turbo Technologies Incorporated (TTI) wouldn't make that same crucial mistake with the initial console launch of the Turbo Duo stateside on 9/2/1992 by making sure there was absolutely no competition releasing such a new gaming console during the same time frame). Of course, NEC went with it's initial findings that by releasing the PC Engine console in it's current tiny form factor for the American video gamer audience, it's be seen as not as powerful (hence the entire redesign from the ground up with more real estate space used for the TG-16 console & eventual TG-16 CD player add-on accessory released down the road to give 'em both some extra bulk). So be it.

Makes me wonder that since Konami owns the entire Hudson Soft PCE IP game back-catalog nowadays, could a Gunhed/Blazing Lazers HD remake be down the road? I'd certainly be up for it, indeed.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
It does actually have a level select mode you can use for practicing.