I'm so glad that Hamster's Arcade Archives are a thing.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
hamfighterx

Re: I'm so glad that Hamster's Arcade Archives are a thing.

Post by hamfighterx »

EmperorIng wrote:I almost want to switch my account region and go to the eshop so that my switch homescreen says ACA XEXEX instead of ACA ORIUS.
Hahaha I feel that. I also think some gentle encouragement/Twitter harassment is in order to get Hamster to update three Switch titles with an unfortunate typo "Archade Archives": 64th Street, Arabian, and Ben Bero Beh.

Agreed that I'm also really liking these more obscure choices (Gunnail! Black Heart!). Particularly nice to see a lot of less well known Namco stuff to accompany the big names: loving last week's release of Hopping Mappy, and in the past few months we've also seen Genpei Toma Den, Libble Rabble, Dragon Buster, Mirai Ninja...

This is a fantastic thread too, really appreciate the good discussion - especially some amazing posts from BIL (I rushed here to read your take on Gunnail once that one showed up and was not disappointed :D)
BIL

Post by BIL »

Haha, cheers. :mrgreen: I've grown very fond of Hamster, it's been great having a reliable no-frills companion to M2's boutique approach.
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

BIL wrote:Haha, cheers. :mrgreen: I've grown very fond of Hamster, it's been great having a reliable no-frills companion to M2's boutique approach.
Your enthusiasm for the Hamster releases is very infectious BIL! Love your posts, and other folk's too of course.

We are really being spoilt this generation. It's going to take years to fully enjoy everything that is coming out. What a great problem to have! Gunail will have to wait, as I am slowly getting through them by year and 1990 has just started for me. Trigon/Lightning Fighters and Capcom Arcade Cabinet's 1941 Counter Strike are proving awesome, but stiff challenges. The reduced lag of the former however, is just noticeable, the latter does feel a little less precise to control (on PS4).
BIL

Post by BIL »

It's a shame about CAS on PS4. It's in that unfortunate spot of being not unplayable, just uncomfortable. I've enjoyed its 1941 quite a bit too, could see myself going for a basic 1CC in that and a few others, like Carrier Airwing. Such quality games!

I wonder if the Switch one really does perform more acceptably, post-patches. I've a faint hope they'll patch the PS4 version, though as you say, it's not as if there isn't enough to play via Hamster+M2.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

I don't know how good CAS is on switch. That's the version I have, but I couldn't tell you what the lag is. All I can say is the games feel ok. Just ok. The sega classics on switch feel laggy as fuck by comparison (try turning corners in phantasy star 2 and you'll see), so take that for what it's worth.

I like Hamster because I don't need to worry about the technical shit. Sure, the games don't have a lot of bells and whistles, like you'd get from M2 Shot Triggers titles or even M2 Sega Ages type stuff. But the games always run well. That's the most important aspect for me. I use the very lightest blur setting to take the edge off the pixelation and map the controls to my taste, and that's all I need. Save states would be nice for practice, but I've come to terms with the idea of needing to use emulation if I ever want to seriously practice some of the more monstrously hard games.
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

Capcom Arcade runs pretty great on Switch now. Really.
SPM

Post by SPM »

Sima Tuna wrote:Hamster [...] Save states would be nice for practice, but I've come to terms with the idea of needing to use emulation if I ever want to seriously practice some of the more monstrously hard games.
No need! --> viewtopic.php?p=1461691#p1461691 (read BIL's message below mine as well).
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
BIL

Post by BIL »

Oh, rad. :o Besides rapid shot autofire, ACA Pistol has a dedicated frequency for Level 1 charge shots. This is incredibly useful, since not only are L1s the happy medium of speed/damage VS crowds, they're also a valuable anti-air attack.

So being able to bust 'em out on command is effectively a new, second attack button. Great for counterattacks, parting shots and massed offense alike.

U can call this The Velveeta Shogunate, cause I feeds deez mahfuckas hot SHELLZ N CHEEZE (■`w´■)

Manual has some nice guidance on the powerup drops (there's three types of bonus ball, depending on your cards - donger, hawk and Mt. Fuji, with progressively better odds of an armour drop), plus a little clarification on the route select. I didn't realise the very first stage was an optional tutorial! Also it seems you only need to clear three rows' worth to unlock the final stage. Lower is indeed harder. Neat little Dariusesque system.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Something I noticed in Pistol Daimyo: In the game preferences, if you change the "adjust game speed" option to on (which says it replicates the original game speed), it throws off the autofire settings and the auto-medium shot will fail quite often. Don't mess with that setting if you like using autofire I guess.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

@Janeki, a slower shot rate might be worth a try if available?

Now I see what you guys were talking about with the left/right scrolling speed vs. ship movement speed in Gunnail. The way your ship will sort of grind and stutter at the edge of the screen. That is a bit odd for sure.
DenimDemon

I'm so glad that Hamster's Arcade Archives are a thing.

Post by DenimDemon »

Pistol looks insane. Are you guys enjoying it? I love the stranger ones. Is it a recommend?
BIL

Post by BIL »

Super-solid simpler hori; fans of snarkier cute 'em ups like Hana Taka Daka and PC Denjin will love the aesthetic. Lots of bulging eyes and sweatdrops, as you unload on the gurning fiends. :mrgreen: Copying over my posts from the venerable shumps ticker thread - as noted below, your choice of autofire makes quite the impact on difficulty, though not in the "raw power" way typical of stuff like Raiden or Darius Gaiden. The "AutoL1" button lets you keep maxmimal firepower onscreen with perfect timing, while plain autofire [rapid shot + charge shot] is quite a bit more involved, and no autofire at all moreso.

That said, AutoL1's genuinely lots of fun! I'd almost consider it a case of Beginner and Advanced ship types, both are worth trying. It's easily worth its ACA asking price, imo. The best sort of cute 'em up, tons of style supported by a no-nonsense chassis.

If you love cutesy horis, but demand intensity, NMK's Hacha Mecha Fighter might be a better alternative on ACA. Just know that it's wicked hard, despite the wonderfully sunny/surreal ANIMAL SENKI aesthetic and instant pickup+playability! The moderate ship speed and hitbox won't alarm at first, but as early as Stage 2, the Rank will go nuts. Bullet speed is brutal, and death is perpetually a split-second's hesitance away. It's not all cruel - you have a really nice Gradius-style Option dragnet, which can counter enemy formations interestingly, and as usual with NMK, bombs are plentiful and strong. But it's definitely one of the most harrowing-yet-cute STG experiences this side of Parodius Da.

NO REFUGE ^_~
Spoiler

---

Latest ACA release, Namco's Pistol Daimyou no Bouken (1990). Had never heard of this one - pleasantly surprised. It actually reminds me a lot of the PC Engine's later "colourful character STG" niche - Coryoon, Hana Taka Daka, PC Denjin, etc. Big yet smartly-proportioned sprites, and simple, snappily responsive action. You've got a straight rapid shot, and a lobbing charge mortar with two levels, serving as both heavy bombardier and anti-air counter.

As is Hamster's wont, the ACA version makes a small but keenly insightful addition: autofire L1 charge shots. This really improves the game, imo, effectively giving you a dedicated second attack button, and freeing up braintime to focus on dodging.

Difficulty seems mild-to-moderate, in the five initially-available stages. Clear three to unlock the last, just seeing about that now. Ala Darius, lower=harder, with the fifth's raid on GAIJIN TOWNE boasting some superbly tight foot-to-floor action. ala Metal Black's second stage, or R-Type Delta's fifth, while there's no terrain per se, the smart use of juggernauting obstacles fills in more than adequately.

st5.3 = The FIRELEO and MUJAHID Show :shock:
Spoiler

Tonally, fans of Ganbare Goemon (particularly the second SFC game) and Keio Yuugekitai will love this. Pretty sure I took out a Moby Dick-riding Cap'n Ahab en-route to the source of the Black Ships. Closer to Nihon, lots of kappas and youkais to put down hard. Apparently the player character was originally a boss character in Beraboh Man, which I've never played (something it wouldn't surprise me to see ACA address). I'm surprised he never got any followup attention, given the obvious production values and talent behind this game.

A quality simpler hori, worth a punt if you dig its colourful niche. Here's hoping some more under-repped early 90s Namco STGs will show up! Metal Hawk, Fighter/Attacker and NebulasRay would be good.

---

Just finished Pistol Daimyou's unlockable sixth stage, which I suspected might be A Trip To Hell, given the considerable upped intensity of the lower two routes. But nope, it's just a moderately demanding miniboss rush, and a last boss who isn't much either. Started over sans autofire - I think I might try for a first 1CC this way, actually. The auto L1 shot is great for a training wheels run, illuminating exactly how powerful you are; manual fire can appear worryingly under-egged, at first, when you don't know to keep chuckin' those small bombs at the oncoming crowd. But its relentless, frame-perfect stream of bouncing mortar death really is a huge leg up.

(pre-ACA, Pistol already bore the HG101 "WAHHH ITS IMPOSSIBRU" - read: "This is notably substantial!" - seal of approval. I know better than to think it'd have received a more realistic appraisal, had the scoundrels been rocking ACA's AutoL1 - but it should've! Image)

This said, AutoL1 is a lot of fun, enabling much cockier play than regular autofire - less the typical brute DPS supercharge, more of a "driver's assist." It's a naturally entertaining weapon, with its beaning trajectory and bubblewrap *PON* feedback - innately satisfying to nail bastards with, whether from across the screen, or pointblank right up their jaffers. Going without it, I find myself using the rapid and L2 attacks more spontaneously, even if L1 barrages are basically as doable by hand.

AutoRapid bussin VS AutoL1 bussin Image
Spoiler
Image Image

TLDR: if you know your ass from a hole in the ground WRT STGs, expect AutoL1 to see the 1CC off in a couple evenings at most. If that's a kiss of death (for shame! :O), consider going with plain [rapid shot] for a significantly tougher (though still relatively easy) time. Otherwise, enjoy the violence. Image Image Image
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Speaking of cute em ups, I played Pop 'n' Twinbee recently and had a blast. Really a shame there's no Hamster port for that one, or any kind of other porting job. I'm given to understand it's considered the best of the Twinbee games, or one of the best. You can play it on the switch online service of course, but that's a subscription fee with no option to ever own the game, and I hate rewarding such consumer-unfriendly behaviors.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

For some reason I can't get into games with Xevious-style ground bomb mechanics. Even the lock-on in Rayforce I can just barely stand. Ironically, there weirdly is an unusual amount of games that appeal very much to me on every other level - visually, aurally, gameplay-wise - but lose my interest because of that mechanic: the Twin Bees, Dragon Spirit / Saber, etc.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Herr Schatten wrote:For some reason I can't get into games with Xevious-style ground bomb mechanics. Even the lock-on in Rayforce I can just barely stand. Ironically, there weirdly is an unusual amount of games that appeal very much to me on every other level - visually, aurally, gameplay-wise - but lose my interest because of that mechanic: the Twin Bees, Dragon Spirit / Saber, etc.
I completely understand. And, 99% of the time, I feel exactly the same way. I can't play Xevious or most other games with the ground bombs in them. But for pop 'n' twinbee, I found the game very fair and manageable. Most of the ground enemies were obvious in being same, so there was no confusion about what enemies were doing what. Most ground enemies don't shoot at you and are just there for extra score/power ups. Some do shoot, but take a long time to get around to it.

The bells system isn't great, but I was able to figure out fairly quickly which color bells were the good power ups and which were garbage.

The presentation of Pop 'n' Twinbee, from music to visuals, and even those little drawings between levels, is on another level of charming. Probably the cutest and most beautiful cute 'em up I've seen.
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

Sima Tuna wrote:You can play it on the switch online service of course, but that's a subscription fee with no option to ever own the game, and I hate rewarding such consumer-unfriendly behaviors.
This is the way gaming is headed. There is a PS5 model available that takes physical media, but I'd be willing to bet PS6 is digital-only period. The next Nintendo hardware could be as well. Mobile gaming has never had physical media AFAIK (unless games were sold on flash drives or something?). There's nothing any of us can do about it. I personally think the benefits of digital outweigh the disadvantages, but the concerns are certainly valid. Technology marches on.

Anything keeping you from playing it on real hardware or a MiSTer or something?
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

I'm not against purchasing games digitally. I'm just against the idea of games as a service or games as a permanent rental. No matter how many years you pay for the service, you can never own super metroid on switch. It's always a rental. When you stop paying for the service, nintendo will take the games back.

Emulation is definitely the way forward, but I haven't taken the time or money to look at mister fpga. Buying physical games has become a collector/flipper minefield, and especially for old stuff, I'm not interested in dealing with all that. I buy physical for some things, if I see a good deal, but otherwise I stick to cheap digital sales.
BIL

Post by BIL »

BIR WERE TALKIN OUTTA HE ASS HOLE - *AGEEN!* (■`w´■) wrote:Worst I've seen are the Sky and Desert stages of P47 Thunderbolt and USAAF Mustang, respectively... yellow/brown flashers against blazing sunset and sandy mountainside, with blistering-fast scrolling, to boot.
It's actually white/navy flashers in Mustang. :shock: :oops: Still not great, especially against the blue sky, but not quite as dire as I'd recalled.

It's amazing how relaxing Mustang's first five stages are compared to HachaMecha's first two, despite the latter's vastly better visibility. :lol: Hacha has that Trigon "Already Dead" step, where moderate ship speed, large hitbox, and vicious bullet velocity make getting caught flat-footed anywhere up to a half-screen away potentially fatal. Nothing like seeing a fucker open fire and hitting the stick, only to eat HIT JUDGMENT on the last pixel of your hitbox. Image

Gonna kill / And destroy / I'm not / Teh animal boy ♫
Spoiler

The pre-emptive leading strafe required to survive in those games isn't a thing in Mustang's earlier straits, not that it's a cakewalk or anything.

Spoiler

^ Image

Spoiler

^ Image

RIP 1LT WIENERSCHIESSEVOGEL (;`w´;)
MEIN CRANKENSHAFTE FLY STRAIGHT UP DAS ARSCHOEL (■`w´■)

Can't recall seeing the Raiden/YGW SHARPNEL REVENGEONER in a hori before :o
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

If there were animated gif tattoos available, Shrapnel Revenge would be across my chest.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
BIL

Post by BIL »

Oho, so this is what they chopped from the MD cart. :o
trap15 wrote:Hope y'all are ready for Stage 8, aka BOSS RENPATSU JIGOKU

Game's great otherwise, such amazing backgrounds, gritty hard-boiled sprites, and an aggressively powerful soundtrack.
Gotta say, I'll take this over Crime Fighters' boss revengeance stage. :mrgreen: At first I was "You've gotta be shittin' me," but I gradually came to like the bastard. This is only Loop 1 admittedly. >_>

I get the feeling there's a ton of vintage intel on the way this stage's midboss spawning works. Enjoying the mystery. Image I cobbled together the semblance of a plan before making a go of things. I know you can easily choose a Frost Giant or an OG Sphinx as your second opponent, depending on how quickly or slowly you take out the opening Big Black Jerry. (bomba for Frosty, no bomba for Sphinxy)

I had several almost-1LCs along the way with much nastier mixups - chiefly that assclown Big Nihongo from the upper-left, who takes a slow clockwise path, awkward when combined with the ever-present guillotining Rocket Men, who ain't shit individually but looove their big elbows from the top rope. This time around, the last stretch repeatedly gave me the far easier BBJs from the right, who dovetails easily with Rocket Men provided you got BOMBAS to burn. Felt kinda patronised tbh :evil: but thought I'd record, just in case I'd stumbled over something. :cool:

Rad game. Were it not for the mediocre bullet visibility, I'd call it very near perfect for my tastes. Punkily relentless yet finessed shredshot zakomania with an artfully abusive body-ramming BOMBA. (I particularly like how dying not only doesn't cost any bombs, it doesn't give any either :twisted:) The later stages where visibility is mostly in check, particularly Burma, are heaven.

Even the worst offender, Alps, plays great in hindsight... love the VTOL macros, but aw jeeze. I also love that the tanks are hiding in the forest, that's authentic gritty treachery (nightmare stories from vets BITD). Then they make their needle-thin salvos white on a white background, come on dawg :shock: :lol: I can forgive a lot in hindsight, shuttin' em down with my raking air-to-ground shredshot to those choice "ground enemy out" SFX.

What a cool little power trio this is, between Thunderbolt, Mustang and Aces.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

P-47 stage 3 has a motorcycle that, if left to its own devices, will gleefully jump off a cliff. :lol:
BIL

Post by BIL »

I don't think I've encountered it myself, and yet I'm instantly picturing it. :mrgreen: You can tell the pixel artist/s behind a certain clutch of NMK STGs - P47, Harrier, Mustang, Gunnail and TD2, in my experience - had a dear love for ruggedly militant yet endearingly characterful, fine-brushed pixels, not unlike Toaplan's.

*** DEFENDED THE STEVE McQUEEN ***

(related, I somehow only just the other day, after god knows how long, noticed the fallen Raiden fighter just before that game's first boss. blew my goddamn mind :shock: I thought Raiden III's ending was just makin' shit up :lol:)

IIRC, the enemy tanks you'll sometimes see booking it along will actually raise Rank, if you let them escape (classic passive recon enemy, ala Xevious & Zanac). Dunno if that applies to the bikers... it'd be hilarious if they could Fission Mailed themselves like that, haha.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Damn, you guys are amazing at getting USAAF Mustang to come across a lot more exciting that it really feels when you actually play it :P
BIL

Post by BIL »

A lot of it's in the Rank afaik Image
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

BIL wrote:(related, I somehow only just the other day, after god knows how long, noticed the fallen Raiden fighter just before that game's first boss. blew my goddamn mind :shock: I thought Raiden III's ending was just makin' shit up :lol:)
WTF!? How did I never notice that? It's so obviously a large ship, but I always saw it as some kind of random shmuppy building. It even has a long brown skid mark to show where it crash landed.

I hope no unfortunate cows were harmed during that crash.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Fortunately the Shump Cows Wildlife Protection Order remained intact until the early 2000s, when Under Defeat happened and no cow was ever safe again 3;

Oh no, I mean this poor valorous soul at the upper-right, who I was always too busy with the bosses and their zako BFFs to notice :oops:

Hang in there until Raiden III, bro! 3;
Spoiler

Regarding the downed carrier (RIP mission control, these dudes musta been the vanguard 3;), I once thought it bore those most early 90s gangsta fresh of digits, "187," making Raiden the second-most West Coast Hip Hop STG, after Last Resort and its HS table.

Spoiler

But on closer inspection, I'm now pretty sure that's a "197." :oops: Never mind!

Spoiler

Still, seems to pop up in odd places! Image

EPILEPSY WARNING (`ω´メ)
Spoiler
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Damn I never noticed that little guy either. In hindsight I'm pretty sure I did notice the big dog was a battleship long ago and subsequently tuned it out. First time I really played Raiden was renting the PSX version from a video store in the 90s lol. So been a while.

Speaking of 187 murder in progress thuggery, I defy you to make it all the way through this one with a straight face:
https://youtu.be/s27wThU91gk
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Fortunately the Shump Cows Wildlife Protection Order remained intact until the early 2000s, when Under Defeat happened and no cow was ever safe again 3;

Not true, with Under Defeat HD g.Rev reneged and granted the cows invincibility
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Hamster's youtube channel is showing a upcoming stream for New Rally-X (ニューラリーX).
BIL

Post by BIL »

Ha, I was kinda hoping New Rally X might be a free update ala Darius Extra... not because I regret picking up the Old ver, or won't get New, but because I want Thunder Dragon 2 god dammit. (or Splatterhouse - after the superunknown of Pistol Daimyou a man can dream mirite? :cool:)
m.sniffles.esq wrote:Fortunately the Shump Cows Wildlife Protection Order remained intact until the early 2000s, when Under Defeat happened and no cow was ever safe again 3;

Not true, with Under Defeat HD g.Rev reneged and granted the cows invincibility
A disgrace to the memory of the dead, might as well reshoot Stalingrad with the Krauts making it home for Christmas :sad: