New Pocky & Rocky 2021 Announcement Trailer (Tengo Project )

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Ghegs

Re: New Pocky & Rocky 2021 Announcement Trailer (Tengo Proje

Post by Ghegs »

That sure does look good.

I've never actually played any game in the series, aside from maybe just a credit of two in some compilation. Do these have a strafe mechanic or are you always shooting in the same direction as you're moving to?
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
drauch

Post by drauch »

Yeah, just in the direction you're moving, no strafe.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Bit of a missed opportunity I think. It simplifies the controls, but having the option to have strafing when holding shoot (or as a separate shoulder button) would be nice. It'd be a lot of buttons, but ideally this layout on SNES I think would be nice for incorporating strafing:

Y: Shoot
B: Dodge
R: Strafe
L: Melee
X: Bomb
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

The original game worked wonderfully with an arcade controller. Didn't miss a strafe action at all - that'd be way too many action buttons since holding fire is for auto.

It didn't have a melee action, but it did an armor one, which seems this time they want it to get more use.

Edit: OK - repel is melee as well, kind of, sorry for that.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

So this inspired me to go check out the SNES game and it seems like this is kind of a remake but not really? I definitely saw some new boss attacks and such in the trailer compared to a SNES gameplay video I watched. Is it worth playing the original game now and then playing the remake in a few months?
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

This question was answered just a few posts ago :D

Basically, the previous Tengo Project remakes justify the existance of both versions of each. Like BIL said, if you're a fan of TNWOA you definitely should play TNWA too, and vice versa.
Whether the same applies to this game remains to be seen of course, but I think it's a fair assumption.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Y'all have maybe seen this already, but pre-orders are up for the physical: https://www.play-asia.com/pocky-rocky-r ... /13/70f5lr
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Searchlike

Post by Searchlike »

PC port when?
Spoiler
Never :cry:
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Bassa-Bassa wrote:The original game worked wonderfully with an arcade controller. Didn't miss a strafe action at all - that'd be way too many action buttons since holding fire is for auto.
Shock Troopers works great, and its primary action button does triple work as (auto)fire, locking your firing direction AND melee when you're close to enemies. I've often wondered why more games don't do this, it's so ridiculously comfortable and effective.

Still, will the buy physical version.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Yeah, Shock Troopers works wonderfully as well, they really nailed it.

Still, the Kikis aren't exactly the same thing, and specially the Natsume efforts - the action is a bit more aggressive and fast, more like Mercs. Whatever the case, if it ain't broke don't fix it they say, and for me at least, the first Natsume game is likely the best thing I've played in the genre.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Ghegs wrote:That sure does look good.

I've never actually played any game in the series, aside from maybe just a credit of two in some compilation. Do these have a strafe mechanic or are you always shooting in the same direction as you're moving to?
Really? you should try out the first one on SNES, if you ever have the opportunity.

This looks looks really good. As said, it looks like half a remake and half new material. Glad we finally got some word on it.

Now that Natsume have done their big 3 games from the SNES days, I wonder if they'll do anything next? I would love a remake of Shatterhand, but I don't see that happening.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Shatterhand is the first that's come to mind to me as well. It's one of the few other notable Natsume games both Shunichi Taniguchi and Hiroyuki Iwatsuki worked on. A sequel would be incredible. Kage/Shadow of the Ninja would be another barely potential one.

More than anything I'd love to see them make a brand new IP. I think I've heard rumors they'd retire after this, though. I hope that's not true.
blazinglazers69

Post by blazinglazers69 »

I have to agree with the sentiment that it's dumb not to have strafing. Twin stick controls would also be cool.
WarpZone

Post by WarpZone »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:Bit of a missed opportunity I think. It simplifies the controls, but having the option to have strafing when holding shoot (or as a separate shoulder button) would be nice.
Anyone else looking forward to Reshrined seemingly not caving to strafing/dual-stick trends? That kind of design can certainly work, but the original's moveset and limitations give it a more unique character that this game seems to lean into further with new abilities like 360 melee, satellites, and placing mines that likely wouldn't have as much utility if you could strafe or shoot one direction while walking the other.
mamboFoxtrot

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

Udderdude wrote:girl with her tits practically hanging out.
lol yeah Tengo's gotta get some horny in there somewhere, and I guess they figured giving Pocky some cans and a dumper would just be plain wrong. :lol:

Speaking of characters tho... where's Becky? I guess since she's a sequel character I shouldn't expect her, but nonetheless, I still kind of expected her in some way.
BIL

Post by BIL »

TBH they've been horndoggin' it since Reloaded and definitely Once Again, so it's just par for the course. :mrgreen:

WRT strafing, I'm sure it'll play great. I'm a Shock Troopers lover myself, but SFC Kiki's particular balance of shooting, deflecting and diving always worked a treat with its stage and boss designs.

If anything, I'm guessing the powerdown-on-damage is going to be harder for newcomers to adjust to, assuming it's as strict as on SFC. It's nothing demanding in arcade context, but it really forces you to polish your stages before you can maintain the big guns. Natsume always liked that performance metric (see also Kage and Shatterhand/Solbrain).
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

I love the way the new trailer looks and the game seems amazingly fun. This dev team have a super strong track record, so I think it's a safe day 1 purchase for me.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

mamboFoxtrot wrote:I guess they figured giving Pocky some cans and a dumper would just be plain wrong.
If they did they'd have to re-localize her name to "Perky" (from the original Japanese "Oppayo-chan").

Though on that cover art methinks Rocky has the most voluptuous bosom out of the whole bunch.
mamboFoxtrot

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

BulletMagnet wrote:I'm gonna play as the tanuki with his nutsack practically hanging out.
BulletMagnet wrote:methinks Rocky has the most voluptuous bosom out of the whole bunch.
We're learning things about BM here we never dared to ask... :shock:
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

You can't say "tanuki" without "nookie"! :P
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

Game looks beautiful.
I just wish it was a twin-stick shooter.
(From the gameplay, it doesn’t look to be)

Twin-sticks are the superior shmup experience,
I wish more devs understood this.
pablumatic

Post by pablumatic »

There was no option for twin stick support in Wild Guns Reloaded where it could have worked as well. I'm not expecting it here either.
SPM

Post by SPM »

Twin-stick control is just an option (or not if you want the game to be playable with an arcade stick), but not necessarily the best one. It will always depend on the game design. But I don't know, never played this series before XD. One thing for sure, the presentation alone has sold me this game :D
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Sumez wrote:Shatterhand is the first that's come to mind to me as well. It's one of the few other notable Natsume games both Shunichi Taniguchi and Hiroyuki Iwatsuki worked on. A sequel would be incredible. Kage/Shadow of the Ninja would be another barely potential one.

More than anything I'd love to see them make a brand new IP. I think I've heard rumors they'd retire after this, though. I hope that's not true.
I wouldn't be against a Shadow of the Ninja remake/sequel. I would hope they just don't stop, since these are turning out so well. I don't know how well they actually sell, though.

I can't believe I just realized that Rocky is named after "Rocky Racoon". However, he's a tanuki. I think they did the same thing with SMB 3.
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

pablumatic wrote:There was no option for twin stick support in Wild Guns Reloaded where it could have worked as well. I'm not expecting it here either.
Same. Bummer.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

I tried the OG out on SNES and dispite the cutesy artwork, a life bar, and health refills its still pretty damn hard. I was surpirsed. Not a game you can just plow through by any means.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Yeah, that powerdown-on-damage (every third hit IIRC) system is mean! Kage and Shatterbrain are the same way. The payoff is you can really shred n' steamroll stages, once you've put a little time in. It's a marmite approach (Shatterbrain even tones down Kage's overly punitive system... just one POW level to gain/lose, rather than several), but since I approach my action games in that building-block mindset anyway, I was never bothered. Helps that Natsume stuff plays so smoothly and looks/sounds so good.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

English language version of the trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzCGGSTnK4Q

Seems they made no effort to localize the names of the new characters, which I'm sure it appreciated.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

L O L at the artwork removing Ame's cleavage.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

o shit I hadn't noticed that. time to import for full cleavo action