M2's Hisshou Same! Same! Same! Collection

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Sengoku Strider

M2's Hisshou Same! Same! Same! Collection

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Couldn't seem to locate a thread for this, if one already exists.

M2 held a live broadcast today for their second Toaplan compilation, of Flying Shark + Fire Shark.

Some key screenshots -

The games (thus far):
Spoiler
The gadgets:
Spoiler
Release date & pricing:
Spoiler
Last edited by Sengoku Strider on Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BareKnuckleRoo

Re: M2's Hisshou Same! Same Same! Collection

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

what I really want is a poster of that cover they did for GetStar cuz daaaaaaaaaaaamn it's good
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

There's a general thread about M2's whole Toaplan project which has been talking about this release for a while.

But that's thread definitely gonna be a mess over time the more releases they throw out there.
BareKnuckleRoo wrote:what I really want is a poster of that cover they did for GetStar cuz daaaaaaaaaaaamn it's good
What I really want is Wardner getting that same treatment.
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

I wonder; for the physical releases, what's the reason the extra games are DLC on the PS4. This was also the case for a couple other releases I can think of.
Could it be that PS4 discs need more lead-time to produce?
ATTRACTS

Post by ATTRACTS »

Koa Zo wrote:I wonder; for the physical releases, what's the reason the extra games are DLC on the PS4. This was also the case for a couple other releases I can think of.
I know personally I've bought the more expensive physical releases partially to collect them (and play obviously) but also because I know there is a little extra goody DLC that I'd get that most likely won't be easily accessible if I buy digitally. It's both a treat for the hardcore backers and a way for the company to get a few extra bucks. I doubt it has anything to do with discs.
Some-Mist

Post by Some-Mist »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:what I really want is a poster of that cover they did for GetStar cuz daaaaaaaaaaaamn it's good
I didn't really know much about getstar before going into it, and I was laughing at first but it's a genuinely entertaining game :lol:

immediately preordered hishou same same same when I saw it go up so I'll be there hopefully close to day one
a creature... half solid half gas
Johnpv

Re: M2's Hisshou Same! Same! Same! Collection

Post by Johnpv »

Damn Amazon Japan isn't shipping the Switch version to the US yet. Hopefully that changes soon.
Austin

Post by Austin »

I would have grabbed this collection anyway, but want it even more now that I know it includes a bunch of versions of Wardner.
ZPScissors

Post by ZPScissors »

Surprised Sam3 has the otakebi item drop gadget considering that's only used 2 or 3 times per loop (don't remember if they can drop the extend in Stage 5 but they definitely can in 3 and 8)

Wonder if this time they'll fix the timer (it ran fast in KTigerHeli), fix long replays, and allow for autofire rates slower than 10hz.
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

Koa Zo wrote:I wonder; for the physical releases, what's the reason the extra games are DLC on the PS4. This was also the case for a couple other releases I can think of.
Is this also the case with the Switch versions of these games?
(The garage titles)
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

ATTRACTS wrote:
I know personally I've bought the more expensive physical releases partially to collect them (and play obviously) but also because I know there is a little extra goody DLC that I'd get that most likely won't be easily accessible if I buy digitally. It's both a treat for the hardcore backers and a way for the company to get a few extra bucks. I doubt it has anything to do with discs.
I think you misunderstood what I had posted.
The PS4 version will not have Teki Paki on the disc, you must use a download code to get it from the PS Store.
kid aphex wrote:
Is this also the case with the Switch versions of these games?
(The garage titles)
From the release data image linked above I used google lens to translate - says DLC is included with physical package, but PS4 version requires entering code at PlayStation Store.
I take this to mean that the DLC will be on the Switch card, but PS4 owners must download the extra content.

For some reason I was thinking that was also the situation with Get Star from the last release, maybe not?
I remember Wonder Boy: Asha in Monster World required PS4 disc owners to download the bonus game while Switch had it on the card.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Did the PS4 of Ultimate Tiger Heli have a Teki Paki download card? I wonder if they're bundling it with this one instead if it missed the last one? On Switch, Ultimate Tiger Heli had a Teki Paki download code so makes sense they're not including it this time around.
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

TransatlanticFoe wrote:Did the PS4 of Ultimate Tiger Heli have a Teki Paki download card? I wonder if they're bundling it with this one instead if it missed the last one? On Switch, Ultimate Tiger Heli had a Teki Paki download code so makes sense they're not including it this time around.
Yes, mine had a download card for Teki Paki. I'm assuming this will have a download card for Wardner.
atro_city

Post by atro_city »

While I am looking forward to this, one concern I have is that, if this is like the previous release, the gadgets for Same Same Same will only be for the original version of the game, aka. the infamously brutal 1P version which is going to have limited appeal outside of diehard/masochist players. I hope that's not the case as I'll probably be spending most of my time on the 2P/console versions.
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

This has been confusing:
Sengoku Strider wrote: Release date & pricing:
Spoiler

Why does this image indicate Teki Paki is included in this release?
I thought Teki Paki was the bonus game with Kyukyoku Tiger, and Wardner was the extra with Same!Same!Same!
Or am I mistaken?

edit: ah I see why spoiler tags are often added to images - they blow out the page formatting on mobile displays.
Last edited by Koa Zo on Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

Koa Zo wrote:This has been confusing:
Sengoku Strider wrote: Release date & pricing:
Why does this image indicate Teki Paki is included in this release?
I thought Teki Paki was the bonus game with Kyukyoku Tiger, and Wardner was the extra with Same!Same!Same!
Or am I mistaken?
EDIT: THIS IS WRONG, SEE BELOW. Ignore that image, I'm not sure why it's like that. On the official site it lists Wardner as the DLC.

Whoops, my mistake. The DLC is Teki Paki (just like the prior game), the added, on disc game is Wardner (prior it was Get Star).

https://m2stg.com/hisho-same3/feature.php
Last edited by XtraSmiley on Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

atro_city wrote:While I am looking forward to this, one concern I have is that, if this is like the previous release, the gadgets for Same Same Same will only be for the original version of the game, aka. the infamously brutal 1P version which is going to have limited appeal outside of diehard/masochist players. I hope that's not the case as I'll probably be spending most of my time on the 2P/console versions.
On the prior release all the easy and modified modes had the gadgets, but yeah, the US version did not, which was really odd. Not sure why they didn't do it other than having to work the gadgets for the 2nd player being too much effort for a mostly Japanese audience.
atro_city

Post by atro_city »

XtraSmiley wrote:
atro_city wrote:While I am looking forward to this, one concern I have is that, if this is like the previous release, the gadgets for Same Same Same will only be for the original version of the game, aka. the infamously brutal 1P version which is going to have limited appeal outside of diehard/masochist players. I hope that's not the case as I'll probably be spending most of my time on the 2P/console versions.
On the prior release all the easy and modified modes had the gadgets, but yeah, the US version did not, which was really odd. Not sure why they didn't do it other than having to work the gadgets for the 2nd player being too much effort for a mostly Japanese audience.
You're right, my bad. I just checked and the Super Easy and Custom modes have gadgets, but the 2P and Twin Cobra versions do not.
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

atro_city wrote:
XtraSmiley wrote:
You're right, my bad. I just checked and the Super Easy and Custom modes have gadgets, but the 2P and Twin Cobra versions do not.
No worries, but I still sort of agree with you. I wish all the versions had the gadgets!

Anyway, I'm SUPER pumped about this release as I just watched this video which got me extra, EXTRA HYPED!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-PVtt2L6Hg
Steven

Post by Steven »

Teki・Paki is in all of the Toaplan Arcade Garage releases. From

https://m2stg.com/teki-paki/

※本タイトルは『究極タイガーヘリ』、『飛翔鮫!鮫!鮫!』ならびに今後リリースされる「TOAPLAN ARCADE GARAGE」タイトルをお買い上げいただいた方に無料配布されるソフトです。

So yeah, it's in all of them. I wonder how many of us will have a stack of unused Teki・Paki codes when all of the Toalplan Arcade Garage releases are done.

Anyway, I'm totally buying the PS4 versions of every Toaplan release. No way am I missing a single one of them.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Koa Zo wrote:I thought Teki Paki was the bonus game with Kyukyoku Tiger, and Wardner was the extra with Same!Same!Same!
Or am I mistaken?
Guardian/Get Star was the bonus game with Kyukoku Tiger Heli and is launched from the Tiger collection's in-game menu.

Steven is right about Teki Paki being a freebie with all of the Toaplan Arcade Garage releases.
- On the Switch physical for Tiger, Get Star and the console ports of the Tiger games are on the cart, and there is a pack-in sheet with download code for Teki Paki. Appears that the same will hold true for Hishou Same! Same! Same!
- For the PS4 digital version, purchasing the Tiger collection gives you access to a separate download of Teki Paki, and the console/bonus titles are DLC. I understand that Get Star & the console versions are also provided via a DLC code for PS4 physical version, as well as a separate download code for Teki Paki (but I don't have the physical PS4 release to personally verify that) - and that also seems to be the case for the Shark collection.
- For both systems, Teki Paki is its own separate application (not launched from within the Tiger collection's in-game menu). PS4 Teki Paki also has its own set of trophies.
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

Steven wrote:So yeah, it's in all of them. I wonder how many of us will have a stack of unused Teki・Paki codes when all of the Toalplan Arcade Garage releases are done.
I'm probably not the only person who didn't get around to buying the collection but who'd toss $5 at someone for a download code, so... I think you'll make out fine, lol
Steven

Post by Steven »

hamfighterx wrote:
Koa Zo wrote:I thought Teki Paki was the bonus game with Kyukyoku Tiger, and Wardner was the extra with Same!Same!Same!
Or am I mistaken?
Guardian/Get Star was the bonus game with Kyukoku Tiger Heli and is launched from the Tiger collection's in-game menu.

Steven is right about Teki Paki being a freebie with all of the Toaplan Arcade Garage releases.
- On the Switch physical for Tiger, Get Star and the console ports of the Tiger games are on the cart, and there is a pack-in sheet with download code for Teki Paki. Appears that the same will hold true for Hishou Same! Same! Same!
- For the PS4 digital version, purchasing the Tiger collection gives you access to a separate download of Teki Paki, and the console/bonus titles are DLC. I understand that Get Star & the console versions are also provided via a DLC code for PS4 physical version, as well as a separate download code for Teki Paki (but I don't have the physical PS4 release to personally verify that) - and that also seems to be the case for the Shark collection.
- For both systems, Teki Paki is its own separate application (not launched from within the Tiger collection's in-game menu). PS4 Teki Paki also has its own set of trophies.
I just got my Kyuukyoku Tiger-Heli physical PS4 version last night and all of this is correct.
Ms. Tea wrote:
Steven wrote:So yeah, it's in all of them. I wonder how many of us will have a stack of unused Teki・Paki codes when all of the Toalplan Arcade Garage releases are done.
I'm probably not the only person who didn't get around to buying the collection but who'd toss $5 at someone for a download code, so... I think you'll make out fine, lol
Eh, I was probably just going to give the rest of them away for free or something, but...
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

hamfighterx wrote:
Or am I mistaken?

Do'oh, you're completely right! How could I have forgotten Get Star?!!??! Yes, brain fart.

So, this does mean that they are making a mistake giving way Teki Paki with everything! I hope this doesn't last all year, I'll have 4 copies of it!
Steven

Post by Steven »

XtraSmiley wrote:
hamfighterx wrote:
Or am I mistaken?

Do'oh, you're completely right! How could I have forgotten Get Star?!!??! Yes, brain fart.

So, this does mean that they are making a mistake giving way Teki Paki with everything! I hope this doesn't last all year, I'll have 4 copies of it!
Kyuukyoku Tiger-Heli was released on October 28 and Hishou Same! Same! Same! is being released on April 28, so assuming that this is the release plan/schedule thing, which seems to be a compilation of 2 games + their variants and a random extra + Teki-Paki every 6 months, it's going to last a whole lot longer than just this year, but yeah, you will have enough codes to staple them together and make a small blanket or something if you buy everything.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Steven wrote:assuming that this is the release plan/schedule thing, which seems to be a compilation of 2 games + their variants and a random extra + Teki-Paki every 6 months, it's going to last a whole lot longer than just this year, but yeah, you will have enough codes to staple them together and make a small blanket or something if you buy everything.
Yeah, we're here for a while. I'm hoping they stick to releasing another Toaplan Arcade Garage every 6 months or so, while continuing to sprinkle in some non-Toaplan ShotTriggers releases (Batrider? Ibara?). Perhaps that's asking a lot for a small company though, and even if they did keep that pace we wouldn't be looking at finishing the Toaplan games until 2025.

If I'm counting correctly we probably have something like 8 releases total, assuming the 2 STG + 1 "bonus" game formula. But who knows, maybe they'll do some compilations with more games, maybe they do more or less than 2 in a year, etc. It does seem like there are some fairly natural Toaplan STG pairings for this 2+1 structure though. Obviously purely speculation on my part, but I could see something like:

Vol. 1 (Oct 2021): Tiger-Heli & Kyukyoku Tiger
Vol. 2 (Apr 2022): Flying Shark & Fire Shark/Same! Same! Same!
Vol. 3 (2nd half 2022): Tatsujin/Truxton & Tatsujin Oh/Truxton II
Vol. 4 (1st half 2023): Hellfire & Zero Wing (the side scroller collection)
Vol. 5 (2nd half 2023): Daisenpu/Twin Hawk & Vimana (a bit less star power here so perhaps they split these two up, mix them into collections with 3 games per release, pair them with more notable non-STG "bonus" titles like Snow Bros. 1 or 2, etc.)
Vol. 6 (1st half 2024): Out Zone & FixEight (as run-n-gun games, these two naturally fit together and they feel notable enough and STG-like enough to warrant being the focal point of a release; but I suppose it's conceivable that they could be split up and paired with more traditional shooters, as bonus games, etc.)
Vol. 7 (2nd half 2024): Slap Fight & V-V/Grind Stormer (basically a spiritual sequel to Slap Fight)
Vol. 8 (1st half 2025): Dogyuun & Batsugun (my god, what a thought)

As for the bonus games, the list would look something like the below. And hey, this is 8 games... a perfect match for the 8 two-in-one volumes noted above.
- Guardian/Get Star
- Wardner
- Rally Bike
- Horror Story/Demon's World
- Snow Bros.
- Snow Bros. 2
- Ghox
- Knuckle Bash

They've already explicitly said Enma Daio and Mahjong Sisters are not coming. I could also see them skipping some stuff like Jongo, Jongkyo, and Pipi & Bibi's (an eroge Elevator Action-like?), or maybe toss those in if they do more than 1 non-STG game in a collection. Or maybe eventually they'll replace Teki-Paki with a different non-STG as the "freebie".
Also... there IS exactly such a poster! It's prominently displayed behind Tatsuya Uemura (wearing an Umbrella Corproation hoodie) in Shmup Junkie's recently released Toaplan roundup video. Watch from about 1hr15 into the video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-PVtt2L6Hg.

Just watched this video today and thought of your comment ;)
Steven

Post by Steven »

Yeah, that looks like a logical arrangement. I know it's selfish of me, but I'm really hoping that they pick up the pace with the releases. I've been looking forward to this ever since they announced it in December of 2019, and I think they were supposed to do the first release in 2020, and that didn't happen. Still, I know that that is just my own selfishness and that M2 is putting a lot of hard work into these and I believe the ShotTriggers team is very small. I would much rather have them take their time and do this properly than to rush everything. I am really looking forward to Slap Fight and I'd really like for them to get around to that one soon.

Still, Mikado has a few of these games, so I can run over there and play Tatsujin, Tatsujin Ou, Dogyuun!!, Wardner no Mori, and I think Snow Bros. 1 and 2 while I wait for M2. I have Kyuukyoku Tiger-Heli already, but I can also go over there and waste my cash to get demolished by Kyuukyoku Tiger, which is right next to the Tatsujin cab on 2F. I don't remember seeing Batsugun or either of the Same titles there, but they might have them. I know they don't have Slap Fight, though. Dogyuun!! and Tatsujin Ou were both really cool to play for the first time last month, though. Both of those games are absolutely beautiful to look at on that huge Astro City monitor, and they had an extra pair of speakers rigged to Tatsujin Ou to make the game super loud when you play it so everyone in the arcade knows that you are getting your ass kicked hard by that game. Going to Mikado for the first time last month and seeing all of those Toaplan games lined up made me very happy. Need to go back there soon...
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Steven wrote:Still, Mikado has a few of these games, so I can run over there
Lucky bastard ;). In my mind right now I can hear the Astro Boy jingle from the Takanadobaba station (as I step outside to take a break from the cigarette smell lol)... /sigh
Steven

Post by Steven »

hamfighterx wrote:
Steven wrote:Still, Mikado has a few of these games, so I can run over there
Lucky bastard ;). In my mind right now I can hear the Astro Boy jingle from the Takanadobaba station (and smell the cigarettes lol)... /sigh
lol I try to stay away from arcades here because of the prices are unfortunately way higher than what we are used to in the USA. Mikado wants 200 yen for a single credit for Gradius II, but I have that on the Konami arcade collection, so I can have it kick my ass at home for free whenever I want, but that didn't stop me from throwing 200 yen in there anyway. Most other games are 100 yen each, though, so I basically let each game annihilate me for a credit or two because I suck/never played the games before/combination of both and just enjoy the experience. There is no replacement for playing arcade games in the arcade.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

hamfighterx wrote: Vol. 1 (Oct 2021): Tiger-Heli & Kyukyoku Tiger
Vol. 2 (Apr 2022): Flying Shark & Fire Shark/Same! Same! Same!
Vol. 3 (2nd half 2022): Tatsujin/Truxton & Tatsujin Oh/Truxton II
Vol. 4 (1st half 2023): Hellfire & Zero Wing (the side scroller collection)
Vol. 5 (2nd half 2023): Daisenpu/Twin Hawk & Vimana (a bit less star power here so perhaps they split these two up, mix them into collections with 3 games per release, pair them with more notable non-STG "bonus" titles like Snow Bros. 1 or 2, etc.)
Vol. 6 (1st half 2024): Out Zone & FixEight (as run-n-gun games, these two naturally fit together and they feel notable enough and STG-like enough to warrant being the focal point of a release; but I suppose it's conceivable that they could be split up and paired with more traditional shooters, as bonus games, etc.)
Vol. 7 (2nd half 2024): Slap Fight & V-V/Grind Stormer (basically a spiritual sequel to Slap Fight)
Vol. 8 (1st half 2025): Dogyuun & Batsugun (my god, what a thought)

As for the bonus games, the list would look something like the below. And hey, this is 8 games... a perfect match for the 8 two-in-one volumes noted above.
- Guardian/Get Star
- Wardner
- Rally Bike
- Horror Story/Demon's World
- Snow Bros.
- Snow Bros. 2
- Ghox
- Knuckle Bash
I think these predictions are gonna be pretty close to reality. Though a few comments:
- I don't think Hellfire and Zero Wing, or Daisenpu and Vimana are deserving of their own standalone releases. Maybe they'll make one with "all the games with no star power", but it might be more likely they'll just accompany other more popular games down the road. Though, if that was the case we probably would have seen Daisenpu alongside the Sharks.
- Given the above assumption, I'm sure Outzone/Fixeight are going to be next after Tatsujin. And apparently M2 have already confirmed those two will be the last of the initial four releases, so that seems pretty on point.
- I've said this before, and given even stuff like Tiger Heli gets its own branded release, it would be crazy not to do the same for Snow Bros. The only "issue" is that it doesn't fit the shottriggers label, but I'm not sure that matters. It's probably Toaplan's most popular title by a long shot if you don't limit yourself to the STG community. It has a full sequel that's been an arcade exclusive so far, and the original has multiple ports that are interesting in their own way, and typically considered coveted collectibles. There's no way they'd just throw that in as a bonus game that doesn't even get billing on the box art.
- Batsugun is probably gonna get its own stand-alone release (still with a bonus game or two, but they won't share top billing with Batsugun), but obviously include Special version, and I wouldn't be surprised to see this game get a new arrange mode similar to the other non-Toaplan shottriggers. A lot of people don't care about older Toaplan games and are only waiting for this game, so if M2 knows what up, they'll be sure to milk that.