shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:09 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: The Wii U eShop Is Closing Down. It has Shmups.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:12 pm 

At least the last we heard last summer, Nintendo said they were cutting credit card support for the 3DS & Wii U eShops in January, which is now. It's been nearly 10 years since the Wii U launched in 2012. When they shut down the Wii Shop after 11-12 years, they stopped letting people add funds then a year later pulled the plug entirely.

Having owned both a Switch and Switch Lite for a couple of years now, I have to say - in all honesty I prefer the Wii U as a couch/bed experience. The Gamepad is WAAAYYYYYYY more ergonomic and comfortable to hold than either Switch, has a larger screen (no OLED though), and not only has an actual dpad, it's right in the middle like a proper gentleman's console.

The main system didn't get too many shooters during its lifetime, and I believe most of them are available on other platforms as well.

I know these titles are available:

Aperion Cyberstorm
Ghost Blade HD
Nano Assault Neo
Scram Kitty and his Buddy on Rails (This is kind of cool)
SkyForce Anniversary
Teslapunk

Of the above, I'd say definitely give Shinen's Nano Assault Neo a look. (Or the PS4 port, Nano Assault Neo X). It's a twin stick shooter with a Metroid-like sci fi bio/bacteria theme with CRAZY good visuals, and plays really well. I had it in my top 25 last year, people looking for an alternative to pixel art indies/retro should check it out.

Satazius Next & Armed 7 DX were released as the Wii U Shmup Collection in PAL territories, I don't know if they also got a digital release there but they don't appear to be on the North American eShop.

The real meat is in the Wii U's Virtual Console. It never got as wide a selection as the Wii's, but on the plus side it still exists. One caveat - emulation is not perfect. Most titles play just fine, including the shmups, but I did find a couple of others like Zelda II & NES Punch Out!! too laggy for even my lax standards.

But still, there are titles here like Pocky & Rocky with Becky which can't be found anywhere else, and I have no idea if/when the TG-16 stuff will ever surface again either as it's all owned by Konami now.

NES:

Galaga
Gradius
Life Force
S.C.A.T.
Sky Kid
Stinger (Moero Twinbee)
Xevious

SNES:

Axelay
Super E.D.F.: Earth Defence Force
Wild Guns

N64:

Sin and Punishment
Star Fox 64

GameBoy Advance:

Pocky & Rocky with Becky

TurboGrafx-16/ + PC Engine:

Air Zonk
Blazing Lazers
Lords of Thunder
Gradius
Salamander
Super Star Soldier
Final Soldier
Soldier Blade

Wii:

Sin & Punishment 2

Sadly, Irem had some PCE titles there (R-Type, Image Fight 1&2, Mr. Heli) which were delisted a couple of years back.

There are also a few other titles in other genres on the eShop worth getting before they're gone, like the Capcom D&D Collection, or Pushmo World which is a forgotten Nintendo digital-only title exclusive to the platform that may well never see release again anywhere.

There are some other cool oddities on the Virtual Console like Car Battler Joe, Onimusha Tactics, the GBA Klonoa games and Mighty Final Fight. Not to mention DS titles like Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon or Zelda Phantom Hourglass/Spirit Tracks which may never see official physical dual screen hardware which can properly display them again.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: The Wii U eShop Is Closing Down. It has Shmups.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:23 pm 

Capcom D&D Collection you say... :shock:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:28 pm 

Phew, good thing nobody actually bought a Wii U.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:34 pm 

The Wii U eShop is not closing down. Only credit card payments are. Just as Sony did with the PS3 store, you will be able to add funds from another device, like with purchasing Nintendo point cards. It's possible that full closure will rear its ugly eventually, but as of now the shop is *NOT* closing down.

Side note, Japanese Wii U owners also have access to some MSX shooters, like Space Manbow.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:48 pm 

I would say the main games you want from the 3ds eshop are these:

Recca
Star Soldier
Mighty Final Fight
Streets of Rage 1 and 2 (these are the M2 sega ages ports!!!)
Shinobi 3 (another m2 sega ages port job iirc)

You can get a lot of the other stuff elsewhere. The PCE Soldier games are on PSN if you have a ps3, vita or psp. But Mighty Final Fight isn't anywhere. Recca isn't anywhere. Streets of Rage and Shinobi are ubiquitous, but these are the M2 ports with save states, mappable controls, extra features and strong emulation. These are not available on switch except as part of the shit-ass sega classics collection, with no special features, only in-game button mapping and extra lag.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:11 am 

Sima Tuna wrote:
I would say the main games you want from the 3ds eshop are these:

Recca
Star Soldier
Mighty Final Fight
Streets of Rage 1 and 2 (these are the M2 sega ages ports!!!)
Shinobi 3 (another m2 sega ages port job iirc)

You can get a lot of the other stuff elsewhere. The PCE Soldier games are on PSN if you have a ps3, vita or psp. But Mighty Final Fight isn't anywhere. Recca isn't anywhere. Streets of Rage and Shinobi are ubiquitous, but these are the M2 ports with save states, mappable controls, extra features and strong emulation. These are not available on switch except as part of the shit-ass sega classics collection, with no special features, only in-game button mapping and extra lag.

Something else I recommend on the 3DS eshop, although you can get SEGA 3D Classics on cart, you can buy certain titles separately or the collection digitally.

They are by M2 as well. I am not a fan of 3D on most 3DS titles, but they did a good job on these. Lots of options as well. Space harrier, Outrun, Galaxy Force II, and Fantasy Zone in 3D are a blast.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:05 pm 

The Japanese Wii U eShop had quite a bit more virtual console titles, including those on MSX:
- Space Mambow
- Parodius
- Quarth
- Twinbee
- Sky Jaguar
- Salamander
- Gradius
- Gradius 2

As has been mentioned above, the store itself is not closing down, just the support for credit cards. You'll still be able to add balance using the website, or a Switch, or a prepaid card. As the same thing happened a few months ago on the 'legacy' PS Stores (PS3 and Vita, then), I'm guessing there was some new regulation at some region of the world that changes the way they have to handle payments and both parties didn't see it worth the effort of supporting.

The Wii shop is still online via Wii and Wii U consoles but you can't buy anything. Was able to redownload a bunch of games over Christmas.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:23 pm 

Not sure about the other systems but NES emulation looks absolutely horrible on the WiiU. Recommended if you like a blurry mess, avoid otherwise.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:29 pm 

I think it's because European banks want a stronger authentication, and you need to make a specific kind of page just to support that. I don't think Switch still supports my credit card due to that, I have to use Paypal instead. Was real fun trying to buy online subscription however, since you can't use paypal for that.

Nintendo is especially touchy about giving any kind of internet browser support to freely go anywhere because some older consoles could be cracked using a web browser.

So, instead of updating the old consoles to support this, they just remove credit card support altogether. It's also because the old consoles are getting less secure every day, so there wouldn't be any kind other security problems there.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:24 pm 

spmbx wrote:
Not sure about the other systems but NES emulation looks absolutely horrible on the WiiU. Recommended if you like a blurry mess, avoid otherwise.

Yeah, the nes emulation on 3ds is shit as well. You can't map controls and the games look like ass. There are no extra features obviously or any interface upgrades (except for one save state iirc.) But I mentioned Recca anyway because it's the only place I know of where you can buy Recca and Mighty Final Fight legally. Mega Man V for Game Boy is also worth a mention. It's not the same as MM5 nes. It's a totally new game and a really fantastic one.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:15 pm 

Udderdude wrote:
Phew, good thing nobody actually bought a Wii U.

You know, it's funny that this has become such as standard view. For sure it was a huge letdown for Nintendo after the Wii, but when put in broader context of the systems that are revered/have cult followings in hardcore circles (and around shmup folks) it did historically well:

Wii U: 13.5 million
Sega Master System: 10-13 million
PC Engine/Turbografx-16: 10 million
Sega Saturn: 9.25 million
Sega Dreamcast: 9.15 million
WonderSwan: 3.5 million
Sega CD: 2.75 million
Neo Geo (AES+MVS): 1.2 million
PC Engine CD ROM²: 1.9 million
Atari 7800: > 1 million

Numbers pulled from Wikipedia

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:05 pm 

spmbx wrote:

NES wasn’t great, especially coming from Wii which had native 240p output for older games (the last console to do so!)

GBA emulation was handled by M2, not sure who did PC Engine but its front-end doesn’t scream Nintendo, same with MSX emulation. Nice UI: https://youtu.be/YXAjbrEzemY?t=1069

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:06 pm 

Speaking of NES, that reminds me. They released Mother from the Famicom for this thing back in 2015, fully translated into English as Earthbound Beginnings. The Wii U is the only place it's ever been released. SNES Earthbound is on it as well, also the only place that's ever been re-released in English.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:02 pm 

Sengoku Strider wrote:
Speaking of NES, that reminds me. They released Mother from the Famicom for this thing back in 2015, fully translated into English as Earthbound Beginnings. The Wii U is the only place it's ever been released. SNES Earthbound is on it as well, also the only place that's ever been re-released in English.

You can get snes Earthbound on the New 3ds category of the eShop. Only shows up if you have a New model, I think.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:19 am 

SNES Earthbound also made the cut for the Super Nintendo Classic Edition.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:37 am 

Quote:
emulation is not perfect. Most titles play just fine, including the shmups, but I did find a couple of others like Zelda II & NES Punch Out!!

It might be less noticeable to you in the other games, but I refuse to believe their NES emulation is more laggy in some games than others. :D
Unless they are straight up using completely different emulator software for different games, which I doubt.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:56 pm 

Sengoku Strider wrote:
Speaking of NES, that reminds me. They released Mother from the Famicom for this thing back in 2015, fully translated into English as Earthbound Beginnings.

Unfortunately, this isn't what they did. There is still, as of yet, no way to play the original Mother in English. Nobody's bothered to translate it, as the general community feels the unreleased prototype's improvements (run button, expanded ending sequence, simpler dungeon layouts), which made it into the official M1+2 GBA release with an additional convenience item, are the better game. As much as I'd like to experience the original Mother in English with its rough edges, there is currently no way to do so.

The release on the Wii U is the unreleased, localized in English prototype of Mother 1 (which has graphical censorship in some places) which was snagged by a translation group and released ages ago as "Earthbound Zero". I have no idea how much of the text is accurately translated or not, hence my interest in seeing the original Famicom version of Mother receive a separate translation. They basically just slapped the word "Beginnings" on it and released it, despite sitting on the game for decades, and we've still yet to see an official Mother 3 English release (which is unlikely to ever happen given the work involved, and the relative lack of interest now that a competent translation patch exists).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:15 pm 

Mother 3 was always more about the content than the translation work. I love the game, but it is inarguably transphobic in its humor and there's no way to get around that without reworking a major part of the game.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:20 pm 

Ah yes, silly me, I forgot we're the generation that takes offense to everything. Gender stereotype non-conformity is hereby offensive. Glam rockers that bucked stereotypes like David Bowie basically wouldn't be allowed to exist nowadays. Do not upset the established orthodoxy of what is Acceptable.

I feel like a large part of Mother 3's message was lost on you.

Offline Profile