SaiDaiOuJou in mame

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
UD2

Re: SaiDaiOuJou in mame

Post by UD2 »

As far as I'm concerned, this hack is a massive improvement over the original. If whoever made this is reading this comment, thank you.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Aurel wrote:
dan76 wrote:I think it's great. I'm loving the T-Rex.
Not me :lol:
are you seriously telling me you don't want a t-rex in your spaceship

OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

I guess this is a good enough place as any to ask this... what's does the "(big)" mean regarding the SH-3? Also, isn't the emulated CPU speed supposed to be higher?
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

[img]https://shmups.system11.org/download/file.php?avatar=22452_1600063312.png[/img] wrote:As far as I'm concerned, this hack is a massive improvement over the original. If whoever made this is reading this comment, thank you.
:idea:
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
donluca

Post by donluca »

We just need now to remove all the voice acting and we've got our definitive edition of SDOJ.

How hard can it be to find the PCM data and zero it out in the ROM?

Someone willing to binwalk through the files to find them and FF the audio data?
trap15

Post by trap15 »

OmegaFlareX wrote:what's does the "(big)" mean regarding the SH-3?
Big endian, rather than little endian.
OmegaFlareX wrote:Also, isn't the emulated CPU speed supposed to be higher?
No.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
finisherr

Post by finisherr »

Endianness refers to whether the most significant bit of the binary is at the start or end of the string of binary digits. Usually programmers know about this sort of thing but it's not common knowledge.
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

Although this is somewhat cool. Will just play the Xbox 360 version until a Proper File finds its way around.

Good for those who have never played.
A Hardcore gamers reaction to the Lack of Kinect games. Apparently i could of played Dodonpachi with it if i beat a entirely in Japanese Visional Novel piece of shit game called Instant Brain
davyK

Post by davyK »

Great to see it's available. And hats off to the technical efforts. Disappointed that the people with the resources to make this available couldn't help making a childish hack of it. Ho hum.

I'm not good enough to be annoyed by the 360 port so I'll probably stay with it.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

davyK wrote:Disappointed that the people with the resources to make this available couldn't help making a childish hack of it.
Did you ever see the artwork they replaced?
I'm not sure they made the game more childish.
davyK

Post by davyK »

Sumez wrote:
davyK wrote:Disappointed that the people with the resources to make this available couldn't help making a childish hack of it.
Did you ever see the artwork they replaced?
I'm not sure they made the game more childish.
Well. I have the 360 port. While I'd rather not have those images that are in the original, they are part of the game for better or worse.

I'd rather preserve (if that truly is the aim of this piece of work) the original artwork than have images such as Garfield pasted in.

Given these games are a product of a country with a different culture I accept the entirety of the content.

Now maybe the arcade version has images I haven't seen. But I'd still rather have the original creator's than someone else's arbitrary selection.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Honestly, I'm not sure why people are losing their minds over SDOJ in MAME to begin with. Like with every other CV1000 game in MAME so far, one or two people on the entire planet are ever going to take it seriously, and the 360 port will remain the better focus (which it is, don't lie). The only people around here who care about the preservation angle are MAME devs, and said devs have explicitly stated that they're way more interested in yet another weird computer noone cares about of than yet another weird "overpriced" game noone cares about. Wait a minute...

Anyway, arcade SDOJ is the same "overly hard" game (Yagawa who made Ibara and fucking PinkSweets said it so it must be true) with dumb bugs like overflow that people have been complaining about forever. Most people here don't really care for it, and I don't understand why those few that do actually do so. But maybe I am once again underestimating this forum's complete obsession with anything CAVE, whether they actually personally care for any of it or not.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
davyK

Post by davyK »

I enjoyed the game for what it is but I haven't played a lot of it. I like the sparkly look of it which was a departure and I liked the stepping back from the cancel-mania that DFK was. I like the focus on dodging again. I like the fact you can cancel a hyper into a bomb. I like the little mini challenges in the port too. But it's a toughie even in Novice mode (which I kind of like too as novice modes can be a bit too easy).

But I'm not manic about it. Pleased to own it though as a collector/player.

I won't be chasing down any ROM. I might be interested in a newer port but only if it was deemed better than the 360 one.

Was there a reason for hacking the ROM? Why the red gold? Why not just release it as-is?
el_rika

Post by el_rika »

davyK wrote:
Was there a reason for hacking the ROM? Why the red gold? Why not just release it as-is?
Somebody, somewhere thought that this would be some funny ultimate response to an old argument 3 people had 10 years ago, on the subject of hentai pillows.

The surprising thing is, how with all the tehnical people on these forums, no one actually released a reverse hack. It must be a child's play to do it...if you know how.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Despatche, the Xbox 360 port has never been very well regarded as it had a number of unfortunate issues such as greater than normal input lag compared to their other ports, as well as variable slowdown if you enabled score displays (this was patched later). A new port as well as MAME emulation both offer the chance to potentially enjoy it closer to the PCB experience with less input lag, handy in a game with a fairly large hitbox and fast bullets compared to previous games.

It'd also be nice to have a port of Guardian Force with the massive input lag that's inherent in the game finally addressed...
Aurel

Post by Aurel »

el_rika wrote: The surprising thing is, how with all the tehnical people on these forums, no one actually released a reverse hack. It must be a child's play to do it...if you know how.
with the tools available no need to be technical at all. BTW there is a big difference between doing it and releasing it ;)
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

For people who are scared after years of meme'ing and nitwits obsessing over Inbachi (when they can't even 1cc x360 mode), if you are just going for survival, turn on autobomb, and bomb through hard boss attacks (st4 boss seems to be a wall) this game doesn't seem much 'harder' than a Ketsui 1ALL*

People have been tweaking the CPU and blitter to get better slowdown but I am not sure of the optimal settings yet.
It's definitely going to be hard without any slowdown as-is!

*judging by what buds have told me who have already 1cc'd the mame ver
Buffi

Post by Buffi »

EmperorIng wrote:For people who are scared after years of meme'ing and nitwits obsessing over Inbachi (when they can't even 1cc x360 mode), if you are just going for survival, turn on autobomb, and bomb through hard boss attacks (st4 boss seems to be a wall) this game doesn't seem much 'harder' than a Ketsui 1ALL*

People have been tweaking the CPU and blitter to get better slowdown but I am not sure of the optimal settings yet.
It's definitely going to be hard without any slowdown as-is!

*judging by what buds have told me who have already 1cc'd the mame ver
Imo, its much easier without autobomb.
I had an easier time getting my 1cc that way. You get more bombs that way (original mode on exA), since autobomb on wont add more slots.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Even better! I have only tried with autobomb but I'll switch it off.

Do you have a preferred cpu underclock setting, or are you just speaking of your PCB experience?
Buffi

Post by Buffi »

Ive only really played this on exA, so no idea on cpu/blitter
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

trap15 wrote:Big endian, rather than little endian.
finisherr wrote:Endianness refers to whether the most significant bit of the binary is at the start or end of the string of binary digits. Usually programmers know about this sort of thing but it's not common knowledge.
This is helpful, thank you.
trap15 wrote: No.
This is not. You could have offered an explanation. Such as what I assume is underclocking the CPU to get more accurate slowdown.
KAI

Post by KAI »

Overclock the cpu to %200 to play the game at 120fps like a real gamer.
Last edited by KAI on Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

OmegaFlareX wrote:
trap15 wrote: No.
This is not. You could have offered an explanation. Such as what I assume is underclocking the CPU to get more accurate slowdown.
The explanation is "no, it is not supposed to be higher." There is no more explanation than "yes the number there is correct".
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Despatche wrote:Honestly, I'm not sure why people are losing their minds over SDOJ in MAME to begin with. Like with every other CV1000 game in MAME so far, one or two people on the entire planet are ever going to take it seriously, and the 360 port will remain the better focus (which it is, don't lie). The only people around here who care about the preservation angle are MAME devs, and said devs have explicitly stated that they're way more interested in yet another weird computer noone cares about of than yet another weird "overpriced" game noone cares about. Wait a minute...

Anyway, arcade SDOJ is the same "overly hard" game (Yagawa who made Ibara and fucking PinkSweets said it so it must be true) with dumb bugs like overflow that people have been complaining about forever. Most people here don't really care for it, and I don't understand why those few that do actually do so. But maybe I am once again underestimating this forum's complete obsession with anything CAVE, whether they actually personally care for any of it or not.
SDOJ is a mean spirited sort of hard. Bigger hit box, faster bullets, but still really dense patterns. Its just kind of an asshole game. I could never really get into it. CAVE's other danmaku games are a bit more player friendly.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Ehhhhhhh. SDOJ is substantially less cruel than, say, Galuda 2 or Ketsui, and don't even get me started on Ibara or PinkSweets. SDOJ gives you an almost completely free autobomb and near-constant hypers, plus you get even more bombs if you turn autobomb off.

See, if you try to play DDP without bombspamming, it's the same thing. And we also see the same thing with DOJ, because unlike SDOJ where Expert is a separate difficulty and people are told to stay the fuck away, in DOJ everyone tries to pick Expert and then get upset that the game's "too hard" because they can't bombspam anymore, while also refusing to pick Shot/Laser. This is in addition to DOJ having hypers and DDP having no such thing.

Basically what EmperorIng said.
BareKnuckleRoo wrote:Despatche, the Xbox 360 port has never been very well regarded as it had a number of unfortunate issues such as greater than normal input lag compared to their other ports, as well as variable slowdown if you enabled score displays (this was patched later). A new port as well as MAME emulation both offer the chance to potentially enjoy it closer to the PCB experience with less input lag, handy in a game with a fairly large hitbox and fast bullets compared to previous games.
I get that people claim to dislike the port. It's just that the issues with the 360 port are so hilariously minor compared to attempting to emulate the game in MAME, never mind that the additional modes are so much more valuable than the kinda-shitty arcade version. The PCB experience is shit. You don't actually want it. This is a large part of the actual value of exA Label; it attempts to correct the "PCB experience" by replacing it with a modified version of the "360 experience", and that's great actually.

I know people don't care for EOJ around here, but that man tends to be right about a lot.
EOJ wrote:Have you not played the X360 version in all these years? It's not the best port, but I'd take it over a MAME ROM any day of the week.
He's right about this too.

People tried to say this about DOJBLEX as well, despite having no horse in the source code drama race, and despite the only real issues with that port being that load times were a bit long and that the one mode people already had access to for about a decade at that point was funky, both of which were patched. SDOJ was always in a much better state and had no source code drama!

SDOJ is a little messy in Xenia right now, and Xenia in general is kinda messy, or I'd tell people to just play it in that.

Disclaimer: I am not shitting on SDOJ, which I think is actually kinda cool. I am also definitely not shitting on the people who released this, because it's cool to see SDOJ finally surface and because the hack is funny. I just don't get this forum's obsession with CAVE at the expense of everything else, that's all.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
el_rika

Post by el_rika »

Despatche wrote:Ehhhhhhh. SDOJ is substantially less cruel than, say, Galuda 2
That's a pretty interesting opinion.

This shows how different people mold with different types of difficulties. I personally can go up to level 4 boss without even touching the shield button.
Yeah, Sdoj murders me starting with lvl2 boss (and that's on Shot, Ex is out of this discussion).
davyK

Post by davyK »

Despatche wrote: I know people don't care for EOJ around here, but that man tends to be right about a lot.
EOJ wrote:Have you not played the X360 version in all these years? It's not the best port, but I'd take it over a MAME ROM any day of the week.
He's right about this too.
Probably worth pointing out that in a recent interview on Electric Underground the WR holder said he still uses the port occasionally. So it can't be a complete right off. It has a feature that lets you take over during a replay and I think that's the main attraction for him - but he must feel he can compensate for the differences he no doubt must detect.

It's also easy for me to sit here with the port on my shelf that was bought at a very sensible price. I don't need the MAME ROM, especially at my skill level. So I can understand the excitement, even if it isn't regarded as among Cave's finest.
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

Ok, I'll come clean. I am "cave dwellers".

See, I was playing the soggy biscuit game with Trap15 one day while sipping on some Earl's Grey, and I say, "Hey bruv, quid for your thoughts, eh?" and Trap says, "Oy, I've bin tinkin' about 'ow much offa spastic twat you are"

I could not take that insult lightly, so I hacked into Trap15's mainframe by ssh'ing into his IP at 192.168.1.1 with a username of "root" and a password of "1", and I used FTP to transfer "SDOJ_exa_unencrypted_assets_and_exe" from his pentium voodoo 3d accelerated IBM compatible to my Ryzen 3900x powered RTX 3080 rig.

I also partnered with Kirkland Signature and Costco to develop a loader/compatibility layer for Exa Arcadia games, which can be gotten as a free bonus with the purchase of the $1.25 hotdog and drink combo at the Costco food court. This compatibility layer features discord rich presence and steam overlay support.

Both will be released on 4/20 as planned. In the meantime however you can reserve your copy of the Exa PC loader by requesting at the Costco food court for a preorder of the Exa Arcadia loader/Hot dog combo promotional offer. Here is an unlisted video showing SDOJ exa running on my rig: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GyRS20MUmU

I will however cancel the release, which I totally have, if someone at Exa Arcadia sends me a free exa arcadia unit along with SDOJ exa. This is not a bluff, I have the Exa Arcadia assets ready to release. Why else would I want an actual Exa Arcadia and game stick? What you think I don't actually have any of the things I claim, and I just want to have an Exa Arcadia to play on? That is not true, I just feel that it would be really cool to have one since I can't afford one, and I could maybe be an influencer for Exa Arcadia, come on Trap, use your connections, I could do a review of the Exa Arcadia experience and put it on Youtube and get people hyped, and I would have an Exa Arcadia to enjoy it's a win win for everyone involved right? Right.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I was getting frustrated last night until I realized I had 0 slowdown trying to dodge these patterns.

I've heard some people use something like 67cpu 30-something blitter? Need scoops and facts.

I haven't found a good ship that feels strong yet. I liked type B in DFK, dunno if it's worth much here. The shot types are still Shot, Laser, and Expert, right? Can't read nipponese and the ebin character edits don't make it 100% clear (I guess glowing eyes means laser?).
el_rika

Post by el_rika »

43 mhz / 57% (Shot/Laser)
39.3 mhz / 56% (Ex)