Castle of Shikigami 2 coming to Switch and Steam in Dec 2021

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
EmperorIng

Re: Castle of Shikigami 2 coming to Switch and Steam in Dec

Post by EmperorIng »

This is great news all around. If they can at least copy over everything from the pc port it will already be one of the better shmup ports.

That's a great Fumiko pic, ha.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Hero of Legend wrote:http://ryokutya2089.com/archives/47390

New info dropping.
Switch / PC "Shikigami no Shiro II" will be released including additions and changes

・ New entry mode
So-called arrange mode. Arranged directly by Naoki Suda
・ Supports vertical screen
・ Dramatic change mode
After selecting two aircraft, press the button during the stage to change your aircraft
Enjoy conversation in cooperation mode even by yourself

Released KOMODO or Alfa System?
It's not just a transplant.
Dunno how accurate google translate is.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Brilliant news. This and Border Down are the 2 DC games I miss the most. I've got the butchered PS2 port but can't even touch it because of the changes.

Now of I can just get Border Down :D
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Martinov

Post by Martinov »

Marc wrote: I've got the butchered PS2 port but can't even touch it because of the changes.
:? Are you referring to the 50hz Pal version with the lowered difficulty? Or is there something hugely wrong with the NTSC-J version that I'm unaware of?
lovecraft

Post by lovecraft »

Martinov wrote:
Marc wrote: I've got the butchered PS2 port but can't even touch it because of the changes.
:? Are you referring to the 50hz Pal version with the lowered difficulty? Or is there something hugely wrong with the NTSC-J version that I'm unaware of?
The western localization was pretty cheap, see this article: http://hardcoregaming101.net/shikigami/shikigami2.htm
davyK

Post by davyK »

I have both the J-PS2 and J-Gamecube ports (the GC version with the figurine). Both seem to be really nice but I haven't played them enough to judge which I prefer.

I had the PS2 PAL port which is 50Hz :( Soon got rid of that.
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

lovecraft wrote:
Martinov wrote:
The western localization was pretty cheap, see this article: http://hardcoregaming101.net/shikigami/shikigami2.htm
Gonna have to update that article now, thanks for reminding me. :P
heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?
Marc

Post by Marc »

Martinov wrote:
Yeah the UK Castle of Shikigami. I just remember bullshit translations, borders, slower speed, and I'm sure they'd fucked with the music as well? Stage 1 theme certainly wasn't the same as the DC version.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
lovecraft

Post by lovecraft »

Marc wrote:
Martinov wrote:
Yeah the UK Castle of Shikigami. I just remember bullshit translations, borders, slower speed, and I'm sure they'd fucked with the music as well? Stage 1 theme certainly wasn't the same as the DC version.

There are 2 selectable music versions in the PS2 port: the original arcade OST (flawless), and a remixed version from Shikigami 1.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Marc wrote:Brilliant news. This and Border Down are the 2 DC games I miss the most. I've got the butchered PS2 port but can't even touch it because of the changes.

At least the gameplay is intact in the XS games version? Does the PS2 version have any performance/graphical issues compared to the DC version?
lovecraft

Post by lovecraft »

BrianC wrote:
Marc wrote:Brilliant news. This and Border Down are the 2 DC games I miss the most. I've got the butchered PS2 port but can't even touch it because of the changes.

At least the gameplay is intact in the XS games version? Does the PS2 version have any performance/graphical issues compared to the DC version?
A little bit more aliasing on PS2, but barely noticeable. Overall an excellent port, but I recommend the japanese ver.
FRO

Post by FRO »

Looking forward to this port! It would be fun if the Steam version would include the terrible English translation, if only for posterity and how meme-worthy it is, but honestly, a better way to play this game is always welcome. This is one that the Round One arcade a few hours from me has, and every time I'm over there, I always throw a few credits at it. Would be nice to have a better method to practice at home, so I can put up some decent scores on the cabinet.
jigenbakuda

Post by jigenbakuda »

Very excited, what a time to be alive. I have played 1 on PC and 3 on wii. I can not wait to play 2.
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

Now has a release date of 12/6/21 on PC/Steam. (Although unrelated, but similar, Crimson Clover EX as well.)

https://www.gematsu.com/2021/11/castle- ... for-switch
I've Come to Deliver Some Bad Luck!
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Anyone wanna explain to me why Degica suddenly got back into shmups anyway? I know the Switch CAVE ports aren't published by them, but I'm kinda hoping we get the new Deathsmiles stuff and Espgaluda II on PC somehow.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

The 7 + 1 character has me wondering. The Japanese tweet of this announcement has another person conspicuously on the artwork that isn't included on the western tweets.

M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

The "+1" is probably just Chibi Fumiko. The smaller purple-haired girl between Sayo and Kuga should be Roger's shikigami. She's also there in the English version of the image, but the logo hides her a lot lmao.
Very cool to see the release date so close! I expcted it to be late December rather than early, but I ain't complaining! :D
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

If that's the case it's weird she gets a picture but Sazae is nowhere to be found.

Also, didn't Sayo neck herself in Shikigami 1's ending? Is it ever explained how she's around in 2? CJ, I need SCOOPs and FACTs.
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

EmperorIng wrote:If that's the case it's weird she gets a picture but Sazae is nowhere to be found.

Also, didn't Sayo neck herself in Shikigami 1's ending? Is it ever explained how she's around in 2? CJ, I need SCOOPs and FACTs.
Unclear! She threatens to kill herself, but since she's in Shiki 2, she probably didn't go through with it.

On the other hand, she literally became a Shikigami in 3, soo... who knows.

FRO wrote:Looking forward to this port! It would be fun if the Steam version would include the terrible English translation, if only for posterity and how meme-worthy it is, but honestly, a better way to play this game is always welcome. This is one that the Round One arcade a few hours from me has, and every time I'm over there, I always throw a few credits at it. Would be nice to have a better method to practice at home, so I can put up some decent scores on the cabinet.
It would be hilarious if someone did an Engrish patch for the XS script. I was compiling it for a prospective fan translation, and it's so bad it boomerangs around to insanity.
BrianC wrote:

I prefer the PS2 version. The DC version is very barebones.
Despatche wrote:Anyone wanna explain to me why Degica suddenly got back into shmups anyway? I know the Switch CAVE ports aren't published by them, but I'm kinda hoping we get the new Deathsmiles stuff and Espgaluda II on PC somehow.
Who knows, but I'm not complaining. Maybe they hit a drought and needed more stuff to release, or released the scene was there for it.

I did hear murmurings that Shikigami 2 was happening a while back, but I forget where.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Maybe one of the 2p endings in Shikigami 1 was made canon? Are there any videos of a 2p clear with Kotaro x Sayo?
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I don't know if there are any 2 player endings. When I accidentally initiated a 2P game testing out Shikigami 1 in mame last night, it skipped cutscenes completely.
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

cj iwakura wrote:It would be hilarious if someone did an Engrish patch for the XS script. I was compiling it for a prospective fan translation, and it's so bad it boomerangs around to insanity.
I mean, it doesn't hurt to still keep that script for just that moment, problem is, I have no clue what format the game uses for its text, So yeah... However, the Degica staff in the steam forums for CoS2 is well aware of wanting to have the old PS2 translation on there, even though they can't proimse anything at the moment, but they'll try. (Unless getting in contact of any of them, or Degica in general would be possible to add that in.)

As for the voices tho...well, lol... ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

But for anything related on Co-Op story in Shiki 1, I don't think there's any period (if you start a 2 player game from the beginning, it just goes straight to the game, no story text), just only for single player. They did start having co-op stories starting with Shiki 2.
I've Come to Deliver Some Bad Luck!
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

If they do manage to include Extra Cheese Mode I'll be forced to buy this just to reward their cheekiness.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I think it should be out now, or soon. Anyone get their hands on it yet? Hopefully I will by the time I get back from work.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

"This game plans to unlock in approximately 4 hours" https://store.steampowered.com/app/1556 ... ikigami_2/
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

EmperorIng wrote:I don't know if there are any 2 player endings. When I accidentally initiated a 2P game testing out Shikigami 1 in mame last night, it skipped cutscenes completely.
If it's anything like Shiki 3, they get a few lines with each other, but no specific artwork, that's only for 1P endings.
(I've never actually beaten Shiki 2 on 2P since it doesn't have dramatic mode like 3.)
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Luckily this port advertises dramatic change mode. Big selling point!

And. WHY IS IT STILL NOT OUT DAMMIT. I have to know if this port is good or not.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

In the US region, at least, it seems to have released; 20 bucks, discounted to 18.
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

Guess I'll bite. I could always stream it if anyone wants an expert(?!) opinion!

https://youtu.be/rq3ruI2nSJ4