R-Type Final2

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
ZaKa-tokyobassist

Re: R-Type Final2

Post by ZaKa-tokyobassist »

The trophy list on PSN just added Homage Stage 4 Pack.

It's the underwater Grotto level from RT2 and the Anti-Space stage from Final 1. I'm assuming the new branching stage will also be included the next update alongside all the new ships and addition of leaderboards.

Sounds about right for a big content update. One free stage, the first of the second set of Stage Pass levels, and a bunch of ships
PSN: tokyobassist
Fighting/SHMUPS/Run N' Gun/Action/Horror/Stealth Games/Arcade Racers/Rail Shooters/Gaming Lore
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

I checked this out thinking it was going to be the dimension 26 stage but it sounds like it’s the VR/hologram stage.

97 hours in and I finally got Admiral. Got the 1mil achievement by hanging around at bosses until the multiplier maxes out, demonic lovers seems to be the main milking point - it looks like you may reproduce that score trick by bombing them or killing them both at the same time. Possible 500k + just from 7.2 and that’s on practice with the arrowhead.
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
Sly Cherry Chunks

Just skimmed through the granzella stream, they previewed the grotto (RTII stage 2) and a flipped Image Fight stage! Didn't recognise the music from the trailer, does anyone want to clue me in?

Cross-posting that boss to the dick-stock thread!
BIL

Post by BIL »

That's Masahiko Ishida's irrepressible "Loose! Loose! Loose!" from Image Fight - although R-Type II's st2 boss is looking a tighter fit than ever :shock: :cool:
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Finally had the chance to sink some real time into this - been on it all day! I've enjoyed playing through the .1 and .2 routes on Normal, and have cleared all available DLC stages (after banging my head against the Rios battle for a full hour in Practice mode, of course). I like it more the more I play it, and I'm relieved to find that most of the stages are dynamic and engaging, full of the bottlenecks and high-pressure spots the series is known for. Stage 4's gauntlet of those spitting clam-like things and the swinging beetles is a highlight - I'm sure certain ships can trivialise it, but it's a thrilling segment when you actually have to gingerly sneak your way through it. 5's zig-zagging, rebounding enemies are fun to tackle, and the section in 6.1 with the green lasers reflecting off the pyramids in all sorts of directions is wonderfully hairy. I love that 5's boss is basically a better-programmed Bellmite, too.

I'm excited for the Image Fight DLC next week, but I'm guessing I won't be able to access the ships yet - there are so many branches in the hangar I still haven't opened up, including the one with the Cerberus line, and whichever one has Mr. Heli. Even though the resources accrue really slowly, though, I'm enjoying the slow trickle of new ships. It encourages you to spend meaningful time with each new acquisition.
Spoiler
So, overall i'm loving it, but I do have a minor gripe. I was never one to complain about the more slow-paced sections in the original Final, a game I love, but there is a particularly egregious one here: after a promising start, with a really tense chokepoint bringing to mind the Floating Graves stage, 7.1 has nothing going on at all. The camera pans around this big dumb sub-Star Wars space battle for five minutes, during which you might have to slowly circle around an aimless, harmless R9 or two, if you're lucky, and then the stage ends abruptly, conflict-free, the human side seemingly having been destroyed largely without your input. Whatever narrative resonance this might have is scuppered by the preceding tedium, and it just feels rather poor.
Sly Cherry Chunks

Nice article in Forbes while you're waiting for the patch.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarde ... 5d25ef1dda
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

Sly Cherry Chunks wrote:Nice article in Forbes while you're waiting for the patch.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarde ... 5d25ef1dda
Interesting read, thanks for the link. It is perhaps no surprise that someone as experienced as Kazuma is responsible for the particularly good stage 4.0.
He is still leaving the R-Type Final 3 update as a big mystery. Surely we are not getting another game's worth of levels for free? I can't quite believe they could be that generous, the base game already now has more content than almost all other shmups (barring Darius Burst CS). I'm happy to be proven wrong however!
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

That would be incredibly generous, though I'm not sure how far we can expect it from a Kickstartered project with presumably ever-decreasing resources behind it. I'm wondering if it'll be more of an update to the game mechanics themselves, something along the lines of an arrange mode that changes some of the fundamentals. Kujo does mention some form of online play is on the cards, so maybe it'll be something aimed at making that a meaningful experience. But I could be being awfully unimaginative here, and they're going to do something as ambitious as the name suggests. Definitely got my fingers crossed for a new seven-stage single-player course! :P
NAVVARR

Post by NAVVARR »

I'm not sure that I'm bothered about online multiplayer Rtype.

Guessing most of the buyers for this are Rtype fans used to the old skool shmup experience and not particularly looking for that.
hoots mon- crivvens, help ma boab
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

Hmm, just a wild guess at what could work. Maybe R-Type Final 3 will give us the tools to construct our own levels which we can post online for others to download and try to beat. Obviously they would need to create lots of assets for us to use (or somehow allow us to create our own?) for it to have any legs.
If the above works then you could really get a feel of the war against the Bydo with human players facing an endless supply of bydo bases to destroy.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

If I were to make another gripe about this game, it'd be that the 'issue' it presumably sets out to 'fix', that of having a variety of somewhat arbitrary unlock conditions for ships in Final, is handled in a much more tedious manner here. Crafting materials are never exciting in any game, but here they're doled out in such a miserly trickle, even when you're completing full runs through the game, that the whole process is slower and much less engaging than it was in Final, IMO.

Etherium seems to be the most scarce material - it's usually the only one keeping me from building a ship. I've noticed stage 6.1 gives out a decent amount of Etherium regardless of the difficulty level, and according to this chart, 3.0, 6.2 and 7.0 seem to be good stages for the green stuff, too. Are there any better ways to amass a good store of materials other than just grinding these four stages? I'm aware I could just forget about this and concentrate on the R-Typer 3 1CC (or any number of other goals), but it's a shame that there wouldn't be much to inspire the further collection of ships once that was in the bag. It could have been framed so much more compellingly...
NAVVARR

Post by NAVVARR »

Downloaded the new update 1.9. Maybe I'm missing something but what a boring bunch of new ships to unlock.

Rapidly losing the will to bother unlocking them all and playing them.
hoots mon- crivvens, help ma boab
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

I wish they'd update the gacha-bollocks system to give you at least 200 of everything per stage. Did they read that article about the guy who took sixteen years to unlock everything in Final and take it as a challenge? :P

By the way, though I mostly play this on Steam, I noticed my PS4 version has been on 1.09 for a while, whereas the Steam version still says 1.06. I'm sure it'll be behind the console releases most of the time, but has it skipped a few updates?
postman

Post by postman »

Is the US the last to get updates? I've been checking for a few days, and nothing on the East Coast of USA.
Don't just dodge bullets, dance around them.
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

Having just started playing the original Image Fight for the first time (Arcade Archives on PS4), I think Stage 3 is a great choice of level for DLC4...other than the boss. Good grief what a terrible design - it's crazy repeat laser attack is a pure memory test, something that I personally despise (main reason why I hate Raiden and its super fast bullet spreads where you have to know exactly where to sit otherwise you're toast ).
I ended beating the boss by just sitting on him at about 4 O'clock and he melted quickly. I'm hoping that the Final 2 version will have a bit of a twist, since as it stands it is either impossible (when you don't know it) or easily beaten with no skill (when you know where to sit). Apologies if you think it is a classic, this is just my take on it, and the other original game bosses have been very good so far.
SPM

Post by SPM »

20% off on Steam until Oct 22nd
Samildanach wrote:Image Fight (...) Stage 3 is a great choice of level for DLC4...other than the boss
Yeah I tried to figure out a way to react to it consistently, but ended up using the safe spot. I think they'll change it a bit for the better (or there may be a proper way to fight against it that we didn't find).
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Yeah, I love Image Fight and that boss is visually arresting and iconic, but I do hope they make the battle a bit more dynamic. Switch up the intervals at which the lasers change direction/cross each other, but give them a split-second's pause or a 'tell' before they do, to keep you dancing about rather than just going straight to your preferred safe spot. It's hard to tell from the trailer, but I'm optimistic they've done something to this end...

Playing the R-Typer difficulties more seriously now that I've unlocked the Leo II, which isn't nearly as overpowered as you might think, at least not at this level (the Psy Bits do precious little damage to non-zako enemies), but is just strong enough make you feel capable. I think on balance this game is very good. I wish more people could get over the initial hump of the hit-and-miss first half of the main campaign, because there's a genuinely rewarding experience with a lot of longevity to it once you do (and not just the artificial longevity of unlocking ships). With the stage edit and the ever-improving DLC, more of which is in the pipeline, it's possible to create all-killer courses that keep you meaningfully engaged and with plenty of scoring potential. Here's hoping 'R-Type Final 3' will have an all-killer main course of its own.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

NAVVARR wrote:Downloaded the new update 1.9. Maybe I'm missing something but what a boring bunch of new ships to unlock.
I have to agree …partly. While the OF- series of ships is interesting and fun to use, the mecha ships are rubbish. They look silly and the ships with the pile bunker wave cannon do close quarters combat much better.
Sly Cherry Chunks

Still no patch!

Some translated info from facebook suggests that the Image Fight stage will be only playable with the OFs (lame) and the ships will be viewed from above during the stage (actually noticeable in the trailer).

I'm still playing stage 7.2 and having a hard time beating my practice scores on R-Typer 3. The demonic lovers score trick seems to break everything, and because it's impossible to build dose on R-Typer 3, they can't be bombed. Theres a 700k+ run on PSN with the Cerberus, no score trick used AFAIK. I'm thinking that once the ultimate ships are released, then a tentacle force/lightning wave/psy bit combo will crush this.
Spoiler
With the recent choice of stage dlc, I think it's now safe to say that this is basically R-Type Tactics: The Shmup. My predictions: R-Type Final 3 will be the Bydo side of the story with released Bydo ships. Put me in the screenshot!
Mech Types: There are so many ships with legs and wheels, it would've been nice if they put in a Dragon Breed-like feature to land on platforms and walk about a bit.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

What exactly is the Demonic Lovers trick, by the way? I've noticed I get different points values each time I kill them, but have no idea what determines it. I've heard some people talk about effectively doubling their score by killing them both at the same time, but doing so doesn't seem to have that effect for me...

I'm wondering how the OF-only thing will shake out if you use the stage in a custom course - perhaps it just won't allow you to continue until you've changed ships? But that's really not in the spirit of the rest of the game...
Sly Cherry Chunks

There's a bit of discussion further back in the thread somewhere where one player was killing them at the same time with Leo's psy bits. I'm still not 100% sure if this is what does it but I've bombed them and got the same result.

It's worth mentioning that if playing in score attack, your multiplier goes up on it's own with time so hanging out at Demonic Lovers and then finishing the stage with max multiplier is what gets the big scores.
Klatrymadon wrote:I'm wondering how the OF-only thing will shake out if you use the stage in a custom course - perhaps it just won't allow you to continue until you've changed ships? But that's really not in the spirit of the rest of the game...
It may show your ship go into the simulator then force you to play as an OF.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Sly Cherry Chunks wrote:There's a bit of discussion further back in the thread somewhere where one player was killing them at the same time with Leo's psy bits. I'm still not 100% sure if this is what does it but I've bombed them and got the same result.

It's worth mentioning that if playing in score attack, your multiplier goes up on it's own with time so hanging out at Demonic Lovers and then finishing the stage with max multiplier is what gets the big scores.

Ah, thanks! I thought the multiplier was going up over time in the normal mode too - I really need to look into how Final 2's scoring actually works, because I've been using Delta/Final strategies for the most part. :P
Zach Keene

Post by Zach Keene »

Patch is finally up on NA PSN.
Patch Notes wrote:What's new in this version.
1. Fixed sections of the game that caused instability.
2. Improved controls.
3. New developable player craft (OF-1, OFX-2, OF-3, OFX-4, OF-5, TL-2A, TL-2A2, TL-2B, TL-2B2, R13B)
4. New items added to the Shop.
5. Artwork added to the Gallery. (Unlocked when conditions are met.)
New shop items are the Commander's Uniform, Business Suit, and another set of resource packs. Interestingly selecting the new resources brings up a prompt to select a number to purchase, though I could only pick 1.
New gallery pictures include 33, 38, 39, 42, 44, 46, and 48.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Resource packs as an occasional treat to go along with the patches is a nice idea. It should give most people the opportunity to try the new ships without putting in too much work.

Edit: the PC version is updating now. Exciting!

Edit: the Image Fight boss is still extremely cheesable, haha. Two beautiful levels, though!
Zach Keene

Post by Zach Keene »

From https://nisamerica.com/blog/r-type-fina ... 2-dlc-sets
NIS America wrote:*Please note that due to differing storefront policies in North America, the final boss within Stage Y1.0 in DLC Set 4 will differ slightly from the original Japanese release. Please refer to the information below to see which platforms are affected:

R=Unchanged Content; Release Date 10/15&Modified Content from Japan; Release Date TBD R=Xbox One / Series X&PlayStation®4 US R=PC Steam, Epic Game Store, GOG, Microsoft&Nintendo Switch™ US, EU R=PlayStation®4 EU&
lol
Sly Cherry Chunks

Noooooooooooooooo
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

Damn

https://youtu.be/slbsmvV7MTI

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Censoring Barakus for looking too much like a cock is hilarious, but I'm interested to see what they replace it with. New boss, or something more slapdash?

Please ignore my last post - the stage Y2.0 boss' safe-spot is only there on some difficulties, to humour us. Use it on R-Typer 3 and you're a goner.
Astro City II

Post by Astro City II »

So what does the boss look like in the US PS4 and Switch versions? Have they gone all Lorena Bobbitt on him?
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

pc bros win again
though I wonder if my kickstarter copy counts as the japanese one, iirc the box was in japanese or something like that.