ONE Game You Want to Hip Your Shmup Brothers and Sisters to:

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
m.sniffles.esq

ONE Game You Want to Hip Your Shmup Brothers and Sisters to:

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Yeah, this thread again. 2021 edition, I guess

Moose Life

I think it's Minter's best since Tempest 2000 (in fact, you could probably call this 'Juno First 2000'), yet it seems to be sailing under the radar. Of course, if you get enraged/annoyed by moments of "I'm not real sure what the hell is going on" that his games tend to include, this one is no different. However, if you have any love for what he does, then this one is very, very lovable. Pass the controller to a casual, and they'll have just as much fun. And it's seven bucks!

There's mine, what's yours?
To Far Away Times

Re: ONE Game You Want to Hip Your Shmup Brothers and Sisters

Post by To Far Away Times »

Thunderforce III was done dirty in the greatest shmups of all time poll, coming in at 159th place.

Thunderforce III is in my opinion, the greatest console shmup ever made. It has an amazing OST - up there with the all time classics, great visuals, and exhilaratingly fun pacing and fantastic player empowerment.

Its one of my favorite games of all time, shmup or otherwise.

159th place? Really? Don't sleep on this game... Come on, let's get this fixed for next year.
MathU

Post by MathU »

There's a lot of freeware shooters that don't get much discussion around here. One that I've always found to stand above the rest is Vacant Ark. It's an ammo management shooter that executes the mechanic well where many, many others have failed. Also great art and music, it puts to shame many commercial doujin games.
Of course, that's just an opinion.
Always seeking netplay fans to play emulated arcade games with.
SuperDeadite

Post by SuperDeadite »

Midgarts (aka Midgarts Gold) for X68000. Wolfteam took their 8bit computer rpg series and remade it as a hori shooter. It's a totally surreal and bizzarre experience. Very organic enemy patterns that will piss you off until you get used to it. Story is rather nuts, and an unforgettable final boss. X68000 exclusive too.

Also Scorpius. Another X68000 exclusive. If you like Irem, this is for you. Very brutal past stage 2. Tons of hidden bonus items you can only get by picking up another item and using the invincible frames to fly through walls. Love it.
endali

Post by endali »

To Far Away Times wrote:Thunderforce III was done dirty in the greatest shmups of all time poll, coming in at 159th place.

Thunderforce III is in my opinion, the greatest console shmup ever made. It has an amazing OST - up there with the all time classics, great visuals, and exhilaratingly fun pacing and fantastic player empowerment.

159th place? Really? Don't sleep on this game... Come on, let's get this fixed for next year.
I'm pretty new to the genre and i'm definitely more into the cave side of it, and i have to say that i've tried to get into this game several times because of it's reputation, and......i just can't. This game and the other ones like r-type and gradius, i just can't. It's miserable. I've tried.

Like, tf3 was once in like the top 3 of the list? I just totally don't understand how this game could possibly be even considered to be on the same level as doj, ketsui, futari, etc. I don't get it.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

I definitely don't understand the love for TF3. TF4 I get absolutely, but nothing about TF3 is particularly appealing to me, except maybe the music... And I do like horizontals.

Everyone play GUARDIAN FORCE, absolutely amazing multi-directional shooter.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
endali

Post by endali »

On topic - i actually really like VASTYNEX and it's free so you have no excuse not to play it. Also KAIKAN.

Like, vastynex obviously completely inspired by tf3. And i really like it but i just don't like tf3.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

trap15 wrote:I definitely don't understand the love for TF3. TF4 I get absolutely, but nothing about TF3 is particularly appealing to me, except maybe the music... And I do like horizontals.
There's a lot to like about it. The difficulty level is set to 'video game' instead of 'arcade operator needs to make rent,' which makes it feel like a comfort food shmup. The levels are atmospheric and it has some cool environment navigation. The weapon switching mechanic keeps you making decisions in a way these games usually don't. The weapons are really satisfying (although hunter is pretty broken). I can definitely see how this would be the sweet-spot game for a lot of people.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

trap15 wrote:Everyone play GUARDIAN FORCE, absolutely amazing multi-directional shooter.
Nothing says "don't mess with the hover tank" quite like flying right over infantry, lighting them on fire, watching them run around on fire, and finally leaving a burned out husk.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Marc

Post by Marc »

m.sniffles.esq wrote:Yeah, this thread again. 2021 edition, I guess

Moose Life

I think it's Minter's best since Tempest 2000 (in fact, you could probably call this 'Juno First 2000'), yet it seems to be sailing under the radar. Of course, if you get enraged/annoyed by moments of "I'm not real sure what the hell is going on" that his games tend to include, this one is no different. However, if you have any love for what he does, then this one is very, very lovable. Pass the controller to a casual, and they'll have just as much fun. And it's seven bucks!

There's mine, what's yours?
Glad someone else is playing this. Do need to spend more time with it, but so far I find this a lot less visually confusing that Space Giraffe / Tempest 4K / Polybius.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

so far I find this a lot less visually confusing that Space Giraffe / Tempest 4K / Polybius.

I think two factors go a long way. One is the 'meat and potatoes' gameplay. The second is keeping visual confusion to a minimum by wisely choosing your targets being part of the challenge. As you learn what every target/buff is going to do when destroyed/grabbed, you learn how not to overwhelm yourself.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

endali wrote:
To Far Away Times wrote:Thunderforce III was done dirty in the greatest shmups of all time poll, coming in at 159th place.

I'm pretty new to the genre and i'm definitely more into the cave side of it, and i have to say that i've tried to get into this game several times because of it's reputation, and......i just can't. This game and the other ones like r-type and gradius, i just can't. It's miserable. I've tried.

Like, tf3 was once in like the top 3 of the list? I just totally don't understand how this game could possibly be even considered to be on the same level as doj, ketsui, futari, etc. I don't get it.
I like CAVE as well, and I put Futari at #1 in my list (for a lot of the same reasons I love Thunderforce III as well, actually), but a lot of CAVE games are very similar to eachother. The Top 25 list sometimes feels like a race to be the hardest arcade bullet hell shmup with good production values and a worthwhile scoring system. I grinded 60-80 hours of DoJ for the 1-ALL, but I don't know that I was having fun the whole time. It was more like I willed myself to do it for the accomplishment. I started doing the same for Ketsui but considering its difficulty and similarity to DoJ, I didn't want to go through that long of a grind again. Thunderforce III is just fun. It isn't super hard but does require some repeat playthroughs to learn it well enough. Its just hard enough that 1CCing it feels earned. Like Sengoku Striker mentioned, you need to cycle weapons so it keeps you engaged. Your ship is powerful, the game scrolls pretty fast, the tunes are super catchy, its just a lot of fun in any given moment.
endali

Post by endali »

To Far Away Times wrote:
endali wrote:

I like CAVE as well, and I put Futari at #1 in my list (for a lot of the same reasons I love Thunderforce III as well, actually), but a lot of CAVE games are very similar to eachother. The Top 25 list sometimes feels like a race to be the hardest arcade bullet hell shmup with good production values and a worthwhile scoring system. I grinded 60-80 hours of DoJ for the 1-ALL, but I don't know that I was having fun the whole time. It was more like I willed myself to do it for the accomplishment. I started doing the same for Ketsui but considering its difficulty and similarity to DoJ, I didn't want to go through that long of a grind again. Thunderforce III is just fun. It isn't super hard but does require some repeat playthroughs to learn it well enough. Its just hard enough that 1CCing it feels earned. Like Sengoku Striker mentioned, you need to cycle weapons so it keeps you engaged. Your ship is powerful, the game scrolls pretty fast, the tunes are super catchy, its just a lot of fun in any given moment.
I feel like all you guys are saying that TF3 is basically easy compared to cave games but i'm over here nowhere near 1cc it, but i can clear futari original 1cc. Not ketsui and doj, those are hard. Futari is definitely much easier for me to play than tf3 imho.

Granted i have not practiced tf3 much since i don't enjoy it, but games like this, gradius, r-type, i find them all very difficult in the un-fun ways, meanwhile, i can clear futari and dfk and i enjoy playing doj and ketsui even though i'm bad at them
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

You really need to play TranscendPang

"Is dog existed?" Continue searching for dog...
dark

Post by dark »

Zarlor Mercenary on atari lynx. I made a whole thread with loads of information and a way to play it free in your browser many years ago.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=51719&hilit=zarlor
trap15

Post by trap15 »

trap15 wrote:Everyone play GUARDIAN FORCE, absolutely amazing multi-directional shooter.
Speak of the fuckin' devil. At ShootersFes 2021 today, City Connection announced that they are releasing a "Saturn Tribute" on 2021/09/30 for PS4 and Switch, which includes Cotton 2, Cotton Boomerang, and Guardian Force.

Needless to say, I'm fuckin pumped.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

trap15 wrote:
Speak of the fuckin' devil. At ShootersFes 2021 today, City Connection announced that they are releasing a "Saturn Tribute" on 2021/09/30 for PS4 and Switch, which includes Cotton 2, Cotton Boomerang, and Guardian Force.

Needless to say, I'm fuckin pumped.
That's awesome. I've wanted Boomerang for a while but the price has gone through the roof, it's going for ¥44,000 now. All those games are really pricey.
thermal_treasure

Post by thermal_treasure »

Nice to see some Thunderforce III love, must have been incredible taking that cart home and firing up the CRT back in the day. Reminds me of Gate of Thunder gameplay wise, which is also a phenomenal shmup. I find TF4 kind of boring, parallax aside.

Back on topic though I'd go with Slap Fight MD. There's a fair bit crammed into that cart and it's way better than the arcade version.
reckon luck

Post by reckon luck »

have you guys heard about Cambria Sword
PerishedFraud ឵឵

Post by PerishedFraud ឵឵ »

reckon luck wrote:have you guys heard about Cambria Sword
Fun Over Victory| Shitpost Central | Shmusic Archive | Old Account | tuckfouhou@gmail.com
velo

Post by velo »

Sengoku Strider wrote: There's a lot to like about it. The difficulty level is set to 'video game' instead of 'arcade operator needs to make rent,' which makes it feel like a comfort food shmup. The levels are atmospheric and it has some cool environment navigation. The weapon switching mechanic keeps you making decisions in a way these games usually don't. The weapons are really satisfying (although hunter is pretty broken). I can definitely see how this would be the sweet-spot game for a lot of people.
Yeah, for me, Thunder Force AC is exactly the right difficulty, where everything seems pretty fair but not boring, and I don't feel like my run is blown if I make a mistake at the wrong time. TF4 is more impressive in a lot of ways but much more frustrating at times, and quite long.
endali wrote: I feel like all you guys are saying that TF3 is basically easy compared to cave games but i'm over here nowhere near 1cc it, but i can clear futari original 1cc. Not ketsui and doj, those are hard. Futari is definitely much easier for me to play than tf3 imho.

Granted i have not practiced tf3 much since i don't enjoy it, but games like this, gradius, r-type, i find them all very difficult in the un-fun ways, meanwhile, i can clear futari and dfk and i enjoy playing doj and ketsui even though i'm bad at them
It's true that few things impact the difficulty of a game as much as actually wanting to play it. For me, TF AC/4 are like crack, so, not the toughest.
pwningnewbs

Post by pwningnewbs »

Here's the download for Vacant Ark took me a while to find https://www.vector.co.jp/soft/dl/win95/ ... 96826.html

Looks pretty cool