So what is the deal with M2 Shot Triggers? Any new games?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Marc

Re: So what is the deal with M2 Shot Triggers? Any new games

Post by Marc »

EmperorIng wrote:Ugh, the Johnny Turbo shit. They make Hamster look like M2. They make Digital Eclipse look like Hamster.

These DECO games M2 picked out / was able to scrounge the rights up for look pretty cool. B-Wings and Oscar especially. I hope they can put out a nice little dad-collection with them, for us DECO DADs (as I feel myself growing more dad over time...).
The ones I have seem to play OK, in spite of their shitty controls/screen options/general lack of presentation...?
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Bassa-Bassa wrote:Are you really comparing Ichidant with Garegga, Ketsui, Batrider or Ibara? What is this now, the HG101 forum?
I don't care for HG101 either, but I would much rather play any of the Puzzle & Action games than any Yagawa anything, and I'm not one of the Yagawa haters. Come on now.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

I'm actually a "Yagawa hater" lol, but the Tant-R series has some bullshit rank systems as well which, together with the random? nature of the events, makes of it something not very fun to clear in general. The Yagawa games at least got some of the most memorable 2D art you'll ever find.
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

I read through the upcoming M2 releases, but has anyone see some dates? It's been a minute since their last release (ESPrade), so how about all those games they showed awhile ago, like Truxton 2?

Any dates and if only digital or physical versions coming?

Is there a good source for this info in English out there?
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Aside of Aleste Collection for late december, no dates because they've been busy with the minis which sell like, you know, minis.
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

EmperorIng wrote:Ugh, the Johnny Turbo shit. They make Hamster look like M2. They make Digital Eclipse look like Hamster.

These DECO games M2 picked out / was able to scrounge the rights up for look pretty cool. B-Wings and Oscar especially. I hope they can put out a nice little dad-collection with them, for us DECO DADs (as I feel myself growing more dad over time...).
I like the Johnny Turbo stuff. Most of the time it is around a few dollars a game on sale and often. Also they seem to be close to the Arcade Archives / Psikyo Ports as far as quality. I think they play well.
A Hardcore gamers reaction to the Lack of Kinect games. Apparently i could of played Dodonpachi with it if i beat a entirely in Japanese Visional Novel piece of shit game called Instant Brain
BloodHawk

Post by BloodHawk »

Yeah I tried a couple of the Johnny Turbo titles on the eShop a few weeks ago (Night Slashers and Bad Dudes) and was pretty disappointed by the forced bi-linear filtering and not being able to rebind the controls. Very low effort emulation...
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

Bassa-Bassa wrote:Very few games which didn't already have a near perfect home version and really questionable picks overall. The fact they chose the worst system in the market for port accuracy already says it all anyway.
They are not "choosing systems for port accuracy". They're making popular legacy titles (ie. Outrun, Fantasy Zone) easily accessible (digital) on currently trending consoles. That's why their titles are on Switch.

Also it's not like they're obligated to port undumped or inaccessible titles, even though they have literally expressed they want to, with titles like The Great Ragtime Show.
Bassa-Bassa wrote:So, not only you missed my point, but you didn't even bother reading the whole conversation. Nice post.
Nah, I read what you wrote, and so did everyone else, which is why you've spent the proceeding posts backtracking. It sounded like edgy gamer entitlement. It's obvious why the mini consoles are popular - and things like the Megadrive Mini were good and sold well as a result of them being good. Just because they aren't doing what you want doesn't mean they're not doing the right thing. I'm sure M2 will survive without your budget marketing advice.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

So it was not a problem of disrespect but one of reading comprehension, after all. That's OK, I can masticate it for you. Check (page 4 here):
Bassa-Bassa wrote:I'm not mad at M2, I'm mad at the people enjoying the minis and making them successful.
That means that:

- I don't blame M2, but the people buying the minis because they're the cause that we aren't getting more quality ports of arcade-only games

- I'm not telling M2 what's "right" and what isn't, if anything, I'm pointing out that it's not entirely "right" using the minis if you really like those games since there are far better ways (lol at the Megadrive mini being good statement)

- Therefore, I'm not giving M2 any marketing advice

- Neither I'm saying nor implying that M2 are "obligated" to port anything even if it was announced, I'm just lamenting the situation that we're in because Sonic the Hedgehog is, still in 2020, considered a better game than Batrider

- The "Nooo, a company can't just get subcontracted constantly due to being in high demand! They have to do exactly what I want because I understand nothing about the business world" comment was totally out of place and sounded like lame insider wannabe entitlement

Elixir wrote:
Bassa-Bassa wrote:Very few games which didn't already have a near perfect home version and really questionable picks overall. The fact they chose the worst system in the market for port accuracy already says it all anyway.
They are not "choosing systems for port accuracy". They're making popular legacy titles (ie. Outrun, Fantasy Zone) easily accessible (digital) on currently trending consoles. That's why their titles are on Switch.
I'll admit that my english there was terrible and misleading, but man, you must be the only one who didn't get what I meant by using a bit of tweaking. Read it like this:
Very few games which didn't already have a near perfect home version and really questionable picks overall. The fact they chose the worst system in the market in regards to port accuracy already says it all anyway.

You're welcome.
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

The 3DS version of Fantasy Zone 2 DX in 3D is pretty fucking great.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Bassa-Bassa wrote:So it was not a problem of disrespect but one of reading comprehension, after all. That's OK, I can masticate it for you.
If you didn't push your glasses up on your nose with a chuckle as the light glinted off them after typing this, I feel personally let down.
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

Bassa-Bassa wrote:So it was not a problem of disrespect but one of reading comprehension, after all.
No, because at least five other people excluding myself called you out on your bullshit. Maybe we all have reading comprehension issues.
Bassa-Bassa wrote:
Bassa-Bassa wrote:I'm not mad at M2, I'm mad at the people enjoying the minis and making them successful.

That means that:

- I don't blame M2, but the people buying the minis because they're the cause that we aren't getting more quality ports of arcade-only games
Consumers buying mini consoles are the reason "we aren't getting more quality ports of arcade-only games"? No they're not. This is stupid. They saw a net profit and they're not working on the minis any more. This is the kind of GaMeR LoGiC which doesn't work in the real world.

Barely worth even replying to.
Bassa-Bassa wrote:- I'm not telling M2 what's "right" and what isn't, if anything, I'm pointing out that it's not entirely "right" using the minis if you really like those games since there are far better ways (lol at the Megadrive mini being good statement)
I think you've missed the purpose of the mini consoles. The target demographic for these things is not the same as the target demographic of people wanting 100% perfect accurate releases (of course, there's overlap). And yes, like it or not, the Megadrive Mini sold out almost instantly (including the ebten limited editions and W-pack), as did most of their restocks, and they were reviewed favorably. A lot of people purchasing these consoles are not doing so for port accuracy but for accessibility, nostalgia, library, value for money, etc.
Bassa-Bassa wrote:- Therefore, I'm not giving M2 any marketing advice
You just said you're angry at people buying the mini consoles M2 worked on and denounced their efforts with armchair fallacy witty one-liners like "they're busy with shitty minis, wait 10 years" and "their choices are bad, they shouldn't be making titles for Switch, also the minis suck. Give me Batrider".
Bassa-Bassa wrote:I'm just lamenting the situation that we're in because Sonic the Hedgehog is, still in 2020, considered a better game than Batrider
Nobody said this. A fully fleshed out Batrider release would take far longer to produce than something like a digital release of Sega's biggest name in history, and the time:profit ratio might not even be worth the investment, especially when their ShotTriggers Switch port of Esprade sold <2,600 copies first week (4.1k for Ketsui on PS4 - I have the numbers right here). Seriously, how old are you? You have absolutely not the first clue of what you're talking about. It's just words on a screen.
Bassa-Bassa wrote:- The "Nooo, a company can't just get subcontracted constantly due to being in high demand! They have to do exactly what I want because I understand nothing about the business world" comment was totally out of place and sounded like lame insider wannabe entitlement
Entitlement of what? I have talked to people affiliated with the company. They are a subcontracting company primarily, rarely do they ever make original games (even if they are working on things like Senjin now). They're like G.rev.
Bassa-Bassa wrote:
Elixir wrote:They are not "choosing systems for port accuracy". They're making popular legacy titles (ie. Outrun, Fantasy Zone) easily accessible (digital) on currently trending consoles. That's why their titles are on Switch.
Bassa-Bassa wrote:I'll admit that my english there was terrible and misleading, but man, you must be the only one who didn't get what I meant by using a bit of tweaking. Read it like this:
Very few games which didn't already have a near perfect home version and really questionable picks overall. The fact they chose the worst system in the market in regards to port accuracy already says it all anyway.
Alright, I read the slightly edited but still nonetheless just as stupid variation of your original sentence. It wouldn't matter what language or wording you phrased this as, it still comes across as entitled. Your whole argument is literally just "stop liking what I don't like" combined with "they would be better off if they did what I wanted". I think the hot takes thread is more your speed.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.